• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF:The Evil Within 2 PS4/PS4 Pro Analysis

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I doubt that's the case. However they might be waiting until Xbox One X is out to push out the patch to both platforms.

That's still no better though, they're holding back a patch for a month or more. Most early adopters will be finished with the game by then.

SeanTSC

If Bethesda keeps this shit up I'm just going to stop buying Bethesda games. Which really sucks, since TEW2 and Wolfenstein 2 are the two games I've looked forward to the most this month.

There's absolutely no excuse for a mega-publisher like Bethesda to not properly support the most recent consoles on any of their properties. At the absolute bare minimum a game should have a resolution bump and have all the extra resources available to the Pro, not just the extra power from Boost mode, accessible by the game.

It's also incredibly stupid to have completely unnecessary negative press for a game like TEW2 that's going to fight for scraps this month as it is. But hey, it deserves it.

KageMaru

Really surprised by the lack of Pro support. Isn't this getting a 1X patch? There's little reason to patch a game for one system and not the other.

The PC port is a mess.

What's wrong with the PC port? Guess it's a good thing I'm waiting before purchasing this.

jackdoe

For reference, Xbox X enhancements have already been confirmed for the game:

http://wccftech.com/xbox-one-x-4k-evil-within-2-wolfenstein-ii/

If this is going to start a trend of exclusive enhancement patches, that's a real BS move all round.

So, wait... we can't rely on this to confirm Xbox One X support?

Xbox.com game listing
Oh wow, this is a case of before and after. The wccftech.com link has a screen capture of the Xbox game page three months ago. MS removed 4K and HDR from the descriptors on the current page.

demigod

Good thing I didn't preorder this, if I did I would've canceled it. Really tempted to get the PC version since its cheap, SOMEONE HOLD ME BACK.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Performance and visuals are hugely improved from the first game but no Pro support really stings. I hope Wolfenstein II has it at launch. Bethesda publishes a lot of games I go out of my way to support on Day 1 because of their rarity these days but no Pro support stings every time.

Foxxsoxx

Probably going to be post launch like Prey.

Shouldn't this be relatively simple to have added? Obviously maybe not at 4k CB, but at the very least 1440p?

No Pro support makes it that much easier to avoid for now. No rush really until they decide to add support for it. So much to play at the end of the month anyway.

KageMaru

That's still no better though, they're holding back a patch for a month or more. Most early adopters will be finished with the game by then.

To be fair, they may not be holding anything back. The patch may not be ready. It makes absolutely no sense to hold a patch back for any game. People thought the same about the Witcher but that's been released.

Probably going to be post launch like Prey.

Shouldn't this be relatively simple to have added? Obviously maybe not at 4k CB, but at the very least 1440p?

Depends on how easy they can reach that resolution without performance issues. I can't imagine it being too difficult, relatively speaking.

Gator86

Link

- No pro support
- Native 1080p with solid 30 fps with boost mode
- Regular ps4 only drop fps during cutscenes.
- Visually much better than original game with no black bars.

No pro support is highly disappointing. second Bethesda game with no pro support

No pro support...wow. Get fuuuuuuuucked. Was already planning to only rent, but this would seal the no purchase even if that wasn't the case.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No Pro support is disappointing as I was at least hoping for HDR but seeing that the game runs at pretty much a locked 30fps with boost mode on somewhat makes up for it. TEW2 does look a lot better, crisper and cleaner. No HDR is very disappointing as is the resolution being only at 1080p but seeing as how the game runs a billion times better than the original without black bars thankfully, I'll accept the exchange especially since im expecting this game to be real good and blow away REVII for me personally. Still can't wait for tomorrow!!!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
At least native 1080p with stable 30fps is a heck of an improvement over the first game. I was kind of worried there.
This is the main reason it’s more of a bummer and not making me too upset. I played the first in boost mode again a couple months back and even that was an ugly game with uneven performance. This looks substantially better on the tech front.

The more I watch this game, added to the fact they didn't bother with Pro support, makes this seem like a B tier game being pushed as a AAA.

Smokey

I was cautiously optimistic for this game and I don't even really like horror games, but no Pro support? Nope. Fuck off Bethesda and Sony can get it to for not enforcing some kind of mandate for support.

No Pro support is disappointing as I was at least hoping for HDR but seeing that the game runs at pretty much a locked 30fps with boost mode on somewhat makes up for it. TEW2 does look a lot better, crisper and cleaner. No HDR is very disappointing as is the resolution being only at 1080p but seeing as how the game runs a billion times better than the original without black bars thankfully, I'll accept the exchange especially since im expecting this game to be real good and blow away REVII for me personally. Still can't wait for tomorrow!!!

Come on, 1080/30 is the absolute bare minimum for a game in late 2017. This is not a great accomplishment and I'm disappointed the game didn't ship with a pro patch.

Gator86

Come on, 1080/30 is the absolute bare minimum for a game in late 2017. This is not a great accomplishment and I'm disappointed the game didn't ship with a pro patch.

Considering Evil Within 1, 1080/30 is a monumental achievement. Definitely one of the most technically incompetent games I've played in the last decade.

leng jai

No Pro support is a joke for a title like this. Sounds like the PC version isn't too got either. Why are Bethesda games always like this in some way or another technically?

Anung

Un Rama
Considering Evil Within 1, 1080/30 is a monumental achievement. Definitely one of the most technically incompetent games I've played in the last decade.

This is where I'm at. This being 1080/30 with no black bars basically is pro support to me. A huge leap over the original.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nah. Dishonored 2 and Prey were both shit.

Dishonored 2's Pro support was decent. 1440p/30 FPS. It didn't support super sampling for 1080p TV's which was a bummer for 1080p TV owners.

Prey had pretty minimal support though, that's true. 1080p with some enhanced lighting effects and draw distance, that's it.

By the time I get this I'm sure there will be a patch.

Here's hoping there's one sooner rather than later.

Yes, Wolfeinstein's devs have confirmed Pro support along with X support.

I'm not aware of any such promises.

This is from the Matthies interview I posted via GameSpot the other day, when asked about PS4 Pro and X1X support:

"I'm not so attuned to those plans. But for sure, those are support and the engine can take advantage of that extra power."

Jens sounds quite uncertain and vague here. It could simply be implying a boost mode scenario in which the dynamic resolution targets are met more often than on base hardware.

Thanks Bethesda now i will wait and most likely buy it on sale. Not that with GTS, COD, Assassin and the other games i would've had time but now i can at least save some money.

kc44135

No Pro support? LofuckingL. I will wait until after the X comes out to see if they patch it then.

Then it doesn't get my support. Pretty simply really.

Next.

Really disappointed at the lack of any Pro support.

Not buying this until a Pro patch is announced or a cheap used copy is available I guess.

Hey Bethesda. I was going to buy this. No PRO support means no buy.

No pro support...wow. Get fuuuuuuuucked. Was already planning to only rent, but this would seal the no purchase even if that wasn't the case.

No pro support no buy. I thought this was mandatory.

Will not support. Garbage move Bethesda.

Good, show 'em this is not OK! No PRO, no buy!!! 👍👍👍

Top Bottom