• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie on Switch stock: We dramatically overdelivered.And yet, demand outpaces supply

brinstar

Yeah I've been seeing them at Target too. Usually around 3. It's not like how it was around launch where they had to put up signs in windows and stuff, at least where I live.

StereoVsn

Just grabbed Neon Switch (just $300 regular version) from GameStop online store. Plus it looks like some Targets in my area and gamestops got some stock of grey ones. I am sure he supply will get tight again closer to the Holidays but it's alright for now.

Instro

I've been seeing them pretty regularly since about the release of Splatoon 2. I just did a cursory check and about 15 Targets within driving distance all show in stock with limited quantity (so no in store pickup option) and the item is currently available for delivery. About 8 Best Buys within 30 miles do have the option for in store pickup right now (several say only a few left). I've seen them in stock a few times at a couple of different Wal-Marts near where I live and work.

Now there's usually only a few. I'm not trying to paint some picture of this being a dud now where piles of units are just sitting around collecting dust. I'm just saying that I see them regularly enough though now at this point that I'm always surprised when people act like this is still some nearly-impossible-to-get item. Obviously, this is of course a YMMV situation. I can't comment as to what inventory is like in anybody else's city/region. But I remember picking one up for my neighbor mid August and patting myself on the back for being a hero for his son because that was one of only a couple of times I had seen any stock since launch. But since then I've seen them most times I've checked. I mean, I'll still take the credit for saving the day there, but looking back I don't think he needed me to pick that up for him.

It reminds me of the Wii a bit, just from anecdotal experience. That went through the initial few months being very difficult to get, then several months of hit and miss availability as shipments started to catch up leading into the holiday season where it was completely sold out again. Definitely seems like post Splatoon restocks have been happening much more regularly. Like weekly vs what seemed like monthly.

I am curious to see what Nintendo has to say at their next shareholder presentation on that front. Are they actually shipping more than originally expected now, and are they increasing the FY forecast, or is the availability we are seeing right now still part of that initial 10m forecast they had.

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
I've been seeing them pretty regularly since about the release of Splatoon 2. I just did a cursory check and about 15 Targets within driving distance all show in stock with limited quantity (so no in store pickup option) and the item is currently available for delivery. About 8 Best Buys within 30 miles do have the option for in store pickup right now (several say only a few left). I've seen them in stock a few times at a couple of different Wal-Marts near where I live and work.

Now there's usually only a few. I'm not trying to paint some picture of this being a dud now where piles of units are just sitting around collecting dust. I'm just saying that I see them regularly enough though now at this point that I'm always surprised when people act like this is still some nearly-impossible-to-get item. Obviously, this is of course a YMMV situation. I can't comment as to what inventory is like in anybody else's city/region. But I remember picking one up for my neighbor mid August and patting myself on the back for being a hero for his son because that was one of only a couple of times I had seen any stock since launch. But since then I've seen them most times I've checked. I mean, I'll still take the credit for saving the day there, but looking back I don't think he needed me to pick that up for him.

It still seems pretty spotty, but actually somewhat available now. Like Gamestop online has a restock of all their bundles (and not-really-ripoff bundles in that it's only 1 game packaged in which you can choose) , pre-orders of both the official Mario Odyssey Switch bundle and stock Neon base model in stock. And they've been in stock for a few days now, I believe. But most other online retailers are presently sold out.

If someone wanted to buy a Switch right now, they might have to pick a retailer they wouldn't use otherwise, but it's very doable right now. (At least in US)

Of course, they don't have a ton of time to build up inventory before the Mario Odyssey/Holiday rush begins. So I could very well see it becoming scarce again in Late October all the way through the Holidays.

We have a thread about bets on how it would sell saying the bulk of this board thought it would tank. Some didn't but general concensus was it would.
Yeah, ok.

Majority though it would be GameCube level or lower.
I didn't say otherwise. But over a third of everyone thought it would do between Gamecube and Wii, which is right. This was not a rare estimate, but a common expectation.

PS2 and PS3 both launched in the holiday quarter in 2 out of 3 major markets. Switch launched in 0 markets during the holiday quarter and is the first Nintendo platform to have done so since GBA in 2001.
And it's tracking behind the GBA. (Its first four weeks in the US were higher than GBA's first three, though.)

StereoVsn

If someone wanted to buy a Switch right now, they might have to pick a retailer they wouldn't use otherwise, but it's very doable right now. (At least in US)

Of course, they don't have a ton of time to build up inventory before the Mario Odyssey/Holiday rush begins. So I could very well see it becoming scarce again in Late October all the way through the Holidays.
Yeah, it does seem that Nintendo has gotten a better handle on availability or demand slackened a bit befor the Holisay rush or a bit of both.

Also I agree it does remind one of the situation with the Wii a bit. We shall see what happens on a few weeks. FYI, if one has BestBuy GCU, regular Switch for $300 is a better deal then Mario bundle since you can get Physical Mario game for $48 and with a $10 certificate on top of that.

I didn't say otherwise. But over a third of everyone thought it would do between Gamecube and Wii, which is right. This was not a rare estimate, but a common expectation.

Between Gamecube and Wii is like the widest gap of prediction anyone could ever make

You know how many Nintendo, Sony and MS systems have not sold between the Cube and the Wii? As of right now 3. The WiiU, the Virtual Boy, the Vita.

Forgive me if I dont take between rhe Cube and the Wii as selling the sum of the WiiU and 3DS.

damn what happened in this thread it almost as bad as when Nintendo claimed the record for most systems sold in a single month back in the wii ds days

I am now wondering what the marketers looked at that indicated the 2 million max number?

Could be a number of factors. Sony's dominance, it being a new concept, the failure of the Wii U, the decline in the 3DS, the rise in phone usage, the number of people using tablets, etc. There's all sorts of factors that could point to it's better to play it safe than flood the market.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I feel like people are really reading way too much into this in an attempt to find some reason to throw shade. Like, the "overdelivered" line is directly referencing the low analyst expectations and Nintendo's original plan to ship only 2 million units. They ended up shipping almost a million more than expected and the demand is still much higher than anticipated, so stock is still low. It doesn't really seem like an outrageous comment to me.

I admit I almost jumped the gun too until I actually read the OP.

In that sense yes, they did.

Between Gamecube and Wii is like the widest gap of prediction anyone could ever make
Absolutely, but the poll doesn't have any finer division. Which proves my point that it's not evidence no one predicted Switch success. (Even if it's only poor evidence that they did.)

Link to GBA info? I didn't know there was good tracking for older hardware like that.
Nintendo provide full info for all their platforms (except Virtual Boy) at their Investor Relations site.. (Scroll to the bottom for historical data, or go out to the IR library section to find further detail on individual years.)

The GBA sold 9.58m through September 2001, its first six months (plus one week in Japan). We won't have Switch numbers through September for a little while yet. But given the Switch results announced so far, it's certain that the number will be lower than GBA. This is despite Switch including an extra 3 weeks in Japan, an extra 5 weeks in the US, and an extra 7 weeks elsewhere.

BBboy20

Could be a number of factors. Sony's dominance, it being a new concept, the failure of the Wii U, the decline in the 3DS, the rise in phone usage, the number of people using tablets, etc. There's all sorts of factors that could point to it's better to play it safe than flood the market.
So, essentially, they might have just unearthed a new audience?

Absolutely, but the poll doesn't have any finer division. Which proves my point that it's not evidence no one predicted Switch success. (Even if it's only poor evidence that they did.)

I didn't mean literally no one. I meant there was not a large portion of this forun predicting a run away success. Some people got it right (I was not one of them). Price was fucking insane and showing 1-2 Switch and Arms first was barf.

Switch is definitely below GBA but it also was majorly supply constrained in its biggest markets. GBA peaked in like year 1 in Japan, Switch wont do that. GBA could have crossed 100m if Nintendo didnt kill it off early

You know how many Nintendo, Sony and MS systems have not sold between the Cube and the Wii? As of right now 3. The WiiU, the Virtual Boy, the Vita.

Forgive me if I dont take between rhe Cube and the Wii as selling the sum of the WiiU and 3DS.
Your point stands, but it's 5. You're forgetting that the DS and PS2 outsold the Wii.

MoonFrog

I thought Switch had a chance at beating N64 and SNES but would struggle to beat 3DS. So somewhere between 40 and 60 million was my guess, iirc.

Still, I think in that poll It was "More than GCN."

oti

Banned
LOL of course thats not how it actually works but people are just mocking the obvious marketing speak he is using. He is trying to turn a negative into a possitive. What he is saying when you pull the marketing BS out is simply:

"We underestimated how much this would sell so we are playing catchup and have a plan in place to increase production"

But instead they add in the crap about overdelivering on a bad estimate so that they can include more possitive words in the statement. Its Martketing 101 and I see no prob with it being mocked. There will the people who fall for it and the people who see it for the BS it is and laugh about it. Its fine.

Whats important is that they clearly know they need to make more faster and claim they are working on it. Now they need to go through with that.

"Bad estimate". Estimates are either correct or not. This estimate was clearly incorrect. But guess what, everyone's estimate was wrong when it came to Switch sales. Nintendo deciding to order more components and produce more units than 2 million would've been crazy.

The word "overdelivered" literally means what he says. Reggie is a master in PR and I laugh every time he makes a statement, but this time it's objectively true.

Besides, seeing how Nintendo air shipped units while eating the costs goes to show they were willing to implement some very hurtful short-term solutions for the problem at hand. I'm sure the situation will continue to get better (except for the holiday rush of course). I'm sure they did improve their production but there's always a delay there.

Instro

Nintendo provide full info for all their platforms (except Virtual Boy) at their Investor Relations site.. (Scroll to the bottom for historical data, or go out to the IR library section to find further detail on individual years.)

The GBA sold 9.58m through September 2001, its first six months (plus one week in Japan). We won't have Switch numbers through September for a little while yet. But given the Switch results announced so far, it's certain that the number will be lower than GBA. This is despite Switch including an extra 3 weeks in Japan, an extra 5 weeks in the US, and an extra 7 weeks elsewhere.

Huh I didn't realize they had IR info going back that far. Is the GBA the fastest selling gaming device of all time? I mean 9.6m through that time period would put it ahead of anything I can think of launch aligned. That's even faster than the Wii, although that also had supply issues.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The stock situation is much better in the UK now. It's available at most big outlets. Sales should explode in the run up to Xmas with Fire Emblem, Mario and Xenoblade adding to Zelda, MK8D, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario x Rabbids and Pokken in terms of exclusives. Exclusive wise, it really is the best year one line up of any console release ever imo.

Wamb0wneD

The stock situation is much better in the UK now. It's available at most big outlets. Sales should explode in the run up to Xmas with Fire Emblem, Mario and Xenoblade adding to Zelda, MK8D, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario x Rabbids and Pokken in terms of exclusives. Exclusive wise, it really is the best year one line up of any console release ever imo.

Can't wait for all the "my Switch is collecting dust" after people finished Odyssey...

+1. As much as I thought the launch line up was terrible, Nintendo has done a surprisingly good job of providing a strong release nearly every month since launch, and the fact that those have been supplemented by a lot of quite notable Indie releases is the icing on the cake. For me, it's the best launch year I've experienced on a game system in a long, long time. There's still more to come too which is wild.

My only question now is, what have they got in store for 2018? Mario, Zelda, Splatoon and Xenoblade in one year is kind of crazy.

J@hranimo

Banned
Animal Crossing, possibly Smash, a new IP or two.

We already know Kirby is Spring 2018 and wouldn't be surprised if Yoshi and Fire Emblem both release by Q2.

Animal Crossing, possibly Smash, a new IP or two.

We already know Kirby is Spring 2018 and wouldn't be surprised if Yoshi and Fire Emblem both release by Q2.

Wouldn't that be quite early for Fire Emblem? If it was less than a year away I would have thought they'd have shown it by now.

Pikmin 4 is also MIA. Given what Miyamoto has said, surely it's close to completion, or are they just sitting on the finished game waiting to release.

Svejk

*Sigh* To reiterate:

So yes, they underdelivered in general and there were shortages. Literally no one is arguing against that.

But they overdelivered in the sense that their analysts predicted they should ship 2 million. But Nintendo decided to go for 2.8 instead. That's the entire context for what Reggie is saying.

I knew people sometimes don't read the OP before they post, but this is absurd.
lol. It was directed to Reggie's quote being overdelivered. Thought that was obvious.

Turrican3

GBA was a 99$ device though... extremely big difference, I think.

Don't know about GBA availabilty though.

rjinaz

Walmart currently has the Switch Splatoon bundle in stock. Haven't seen a major online retailer have stock in a while.

I personally think these bundles are too high at $380, just like the Odyssey bundle coming out next month. When you can get the game for $50 on Amazon or Best Buy. But, anyway, still, it's out there for people.

Went to my local Walmart today just to check supply and there was 4 Switch and 2 Splatoon bundles. So lots of stock.

Oh and Gamestop has a Splatoon bundle up online as well for $360.

Your point stands, but it's 5. You're forgetting that the DS and PS2 outsold the Wii.
Actually, it's 6. You both forgot PS1, which also outsold Wii.

Switch is definitely below GBA but it also was majorly supply constrained in its biggest markets.
GBA was a 99$ device though... extremely big difference, I think.
Yes, of course there are reasons why Switch is selling more slowly than GBA. I never said there's no explanation why it's tracking lower.

Top Bottom