• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

GhaleonEB

Lol just saw this now, fuck you hahaha

I find it pretty hilarious that so many people in here were ripping 343, claiming Halo 4 is fucked. And now, little by little, Frankie and David are winning hearts back lol.

I still haven't scoped out the leak, I'm gonna wait until I buy the magazine. Also, gotta listen to the podcast and see some gameplay before I start forming my opinion. There's just so little to go on.

I've read the summaries on GAF, and looked at a couple of pictures, but I'm also waiting to buy the issue; I'm looking forward to reading the article properly.

Biggzy

All the talk about Halo 4 inspired me to jump back into Halo Reach after a long hiatus playing BF3 and GoW3.

Damn I missed this game. I know there are people here that dislike where Bungie took the game in terms of feature-set and balance, but I love it.

The ONLY change I would make is to have Bungie sit down in a room and play BF3 with high-quality headphones, so they could get a sense of what real, meaty, loud weapon sounds can add to a shooter.

But yeah, I love me some Reach. I'll hold it up as the best Halo MP to date, regardless of the flack I take. :D

Thankfully, it seems that 343i have really beefed up the weapon sounds.

daedalius

I find it pretty hilarious that so many people in here were ripping 343, claiming Halo 4 is fucked. And now, little by little, Frankie and David are winning hearts back lol.

are you certain you actually feel this way?

Examine your feelings, and perhaps think back to other announcements.

feel

Can't wait until they tell us Sprint isn't in, AAs are pick-ups, loadouts are gone and unlocks are only cosmetic. That day will be a glorious one.
Until that day I'm not excited about Halo 4's MP.
The game we want won't come.

Only hope now is that 343i's version of Reach/COD is actually fun and balanced (unlike those games).

Sparkast! Sparkast! Sparkast!

Sidenote:

I'm excited for the new Counter Strike on xbox. Seems exactly like the no-bullshit type competitive shooter noone wants to make for console anymore.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
are you certain you actually feel this way?

Examine your feelings, and perhaps think back to other announcements.
If anything I've been skeptical of 343 the whole time. I'm a Bungie lover. With some "large" MP details releasing, I feel like I shouldn't jump the gun. I'm trying not to.

Has anybody considered the possibility that you have to power your AA's with energy pickups around the map? Much like adrenaline in the UT games? I think I might like AA's if they do it that way...........

An important question concerning Halo 4, how does drop in and drop out affect host migration? Nothing more annoying than multiple host changes throughout the game.

The last BTB game, we had 3 host changes, and bizarrely we had no quitters.

feel

Has anybody considered the possibility that you have to power your AA's with energy pickups around the map? Much like adrenaline in the UT games? I think I might like AA's if they do it that way...........
Yeah, it has been brought up more than once, there's a group of us crossing fingers for this.

gObeN.png

I wouldn't mind this, but I don't really see why it's necessary.

I don't need 'energy' to use the class-specific abilities in Team Fortress 2, or for the different classes in Tribes to make a significant difference.

So long as I can look at the enemy approaching and immediately know via silhouette or some other obvious indicator, exactly what his abilities are, then I can adapt my strategies immediately to counter them and play to his weaknesses.

So long as the abilities are balanced and easy to recognize, I wouldn't mind repeated use throughout a match.

TheOddOne

Sidenote:

I'm excited for the new Counter Strike on xbox. Seems exactly like the no-bullshit type competitive shooter noone wants to make for console anymore.
The shitty thing about it is though, Valve always likes to update their games and do it for free. Both things MS will not allow. PC is the best option.

I wouldn't mind this, but I don't really see why it's necessary.

I don't need 'energy' to use the class-specific abilities in Team Fortress 2, or for the different classes in Tribes to make a significant difference.

So long as I can look at the enemy approaching and immediately know via silhouette or some other obvious indicator, exactly what his abilities are, then I can adapt my strategies immediately to counter them and play to his weaknesses.

So long as the abilities are balanced and easy to recognize, I wouldn't mind repeated use throughout a match.
The difference with class based systems like Tribes and TF2 are that they lock you into the class's parameters. Yeah, I can double jump and run like crazy as a Scout, but when I kill a Soldier I'm not going to be able to pick up his rocket launcher and use it. 'Cause that would be bananas. I also don't have the same sort of health as a Soldier either.

That's why it's harder to balance Halo as a "class-based" FPS, because your class ends up being defined by your abilities and not the weapons you use or how much health you have to work with to compensate. That makes a huge difference.

Retro

That's why it's harder to balance Halo as a "class-based" FPS, because your class ends up being defined by your abilities and not the weapons you use or how much health you have to work with to compensate. That makes a huge difference.

Well... you do pick your equipment at the start of the match, right? Maybe you're kind of building your own 'class' based on what weapons/grenades/AAs/Mods you pick, and then you're limited to picking up these 'item drops'. So if you kill a dude with a BR, and the BR is considered a starting "Class" weapon, you can't just pick it up.

Have we considered the possibility that the weapon drops are not specific weapons, but weapon 'types'? For example, say an Explosive Weapon drops; if you're a "Scout"-class, when you pick up the generic "Explosive Weapon" it gives you a propipe, but if you're the "Heavy" class it gives you rockets?

Proelite

Weapon Loadout Predictions:

Starting primary weapon options:
BR
DMR
AR
Plasma Repeater
Carbine/
New Race AR
New Race BR

Starting secondary weapon Options:
Pistol
SMG
Grenade Launcher Pistol ?
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Rifle
New Race Pistol 1
New Race Pistol 2

I just though a little bit more into my above idea; That would be a different direction completely to encourage map flow and domination, barring random weapon spawns. Movement based AA's like jetpack would cost more to use, whilst things like camo are completely context sensitive when it comes to how much energy it takes. The spawn timer on the energy packs would be just enough so that it would be hard to lock down the spawns completely.

BR
DMR
AR
Plasma Repeater
Carbine/
New Race AR
New Race BR

Pistol
SMG
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Rifle
New Race Pistol 1
New Race Pistol 2

PP would be way OP if you could spawn with it IMO. Spawn with noob combo? Yeah no.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As far as jetpacks go, I was hoping here they would be more akin to thrusters used for extending jumps, as opposed to using to fly around entire maps.

The pack should help you make a bit longer/higher jump, not let you fly up to the top of the map.

Ryaaan14

Banned

BR
DMR
AR
Plasma Repeater
Carbine/
New Race AR
New Race BR

Pistol
SMG
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Rifle
New Race Pistol 1
New Race Pistol 2
So you really think they're going to give us 3 weapons for each role instead of 2? Explanation?

Kuroyume

Banned
Phew... Sigh of relief from me. Not much of a comparison as I thought. Figured he was going to say that they were trying to keep it faithful to H3 in some ways. He didn't compare the two games at all. It was just a few words on what they've been doing and how this game relates to the series in general.

BR
DMR
AR
Plasma Repeater
Carbine/
New Race AR
New Race BR

Pistol
SMG
Plasma Pistol
Plasma Rifle
New Race Pistol 1
New Race Pistol 2

Doubtful.

I'd say it's going to be something like:

Primary:
BR
DMR
Carbine

Secondary:
Pistol
New Pistol
AR
PR

Basically, choose your mid-range weapon, choose your short-range weapon.

kylej

Banned
Grunts. Same enemies a decade later. Isn't Halo supposed to be, like, an intergalactic war? How are there 4 species?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I am excited to check it out. I will have to watch some videos and stuff to get an idea of what the hell I am suppose to do but it should be fun. I want to finish ME3 before diving into it though.

Metroid's back (unless he disappeared again) so you, him, and I could roll some ME3 MP.

DarkChild

Banned
Can anyone of you guys from 343i say about motion blur in this game? It was kinda broken in Reach and along with ghosting it really got on people nerves because it was distracting (not that nicely done mb wouldn't be good).

Homeboyd

I just though a little bit more into my above idea; That would be a different direction completely to encourage map flow and domination, barring random weapon spawns. Movement based AA's like jetpack would cost more to use, whilst things like camo are completely context sensitive when it comes to how much energy it takes. The spawn timer on the energy packs would be just enough so that it would be hard to lock down the spawns completely.

PP would be way OP if you could spawn with it IMO. Spawn with noob combo? Yeah no.
See I kind of thought Health Pack "kiosks" would be serve this sort of function when I first heard they were back in Reach. You know, keep control of certain areas of the map to consistently refill your health at the kiosks sort of like you would hold down advantageous routes/paths/etc.. of a map or power weapon spawns. Health packs don't seem to do this at all.. in fact most people can't tell you where any of them are on many of the maps anyways. People are used to running and gunning for the enemy, dying, respawing, repeating.

I also thought that we'd be able to place the ammo cache's you see in FF around on custom maps that would refill all UNSC weapons that could serve the same purpose. This idea was never realized anyways, so it doesn't matter.

With your idea (which I do like btw) this could serve a similar purpose. With some sort of recharge station you had to stand by for 2-3 seconds to recharge completely (or deal with a slooooow recharge otherwise), it could help more teamwork oriented teams gain an advantage over a lesser coordinated opponent. Of course, like you guys mentioned, "orbs" of some kind placed around the map like power weapons or OS/Camo could also be a great option. Certainly we won't see the unlimited use of these AA's from the start.

There is one thing that might come into play on these though... they mentioned modifications which will likely tie to weapons, they could affect AA's as well. i.e. "X-ray vision Pro - lasts 3 seconds longer, recharges 3 seconds faster" etc... which could affect the above mentioned possibilities.

Anyone think there will be a "prestige" type mode or do you think after a couple weeks/months everyone will have all the guns, AA's, gameplay affecting armor, etc?

TheOddOne

Anyone willing to summarize the interview in a post? At work with no sound :_\
Nothing big, mostly Frank talks about the future, that this Halo has it's own distinctions, a more serious tone to the story (but not too serious) and how much of the transition was from Bungie to 343.

Top Bottom