• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Free to Play |OT| Boldly freeloading where others have subbed before

Well got the client installed, tried to log in, and my account name is unrecognized but taken, my email address is unrecognized, but taken. My how much trouble could free be justification for giving this a shot is losing its luster.

How can your email be unrecognized but taken? Did you play Open beta or something?

No, I registered an account under the email a few hours ago when I started the client download (or so I thought). I attempted password recovery on my account after being unable to log in, and my email was not recognized; so I tried to simply register again with the same email and it was unavailable. Not really sure what to make of it.

They missed such an awesome chance of having video transmitted (from a webcam or whatever) to the viewscreen when you're at the bridge. I'd love to call up my fleetmates from the bridge and have them appear on the viewscreen!

DarkFlow

Banned
Well got the client installed, tried to log in, and my account name is unrecognized but taken, my email address is unrecognized, but taken. My how much trouble could free be justification for giving this a shot is losing its luster.
What option are you using to log in, open world or cryptic?

Medalion

Banned
Ever since I came back to DS9, where I make that space station the main hub for me, I noticed they got the actress who played Leeta (Chase Masterson), the bajoran waitress/dabo girl and wife of Rom, to voice some audio samples at Quark's bar. Pretty cool at first, but I noticed some glitches when beaming on and off DS9 where her voice will play a voice sample when I am not in Quark's bar.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ever since I came back to DS9, where I make that space station the main hub for me, I noticed they got the actress who played Leeta (Chase Masterson), the bajoran waitress/dabo girl and wife of Rom, to voice some audio samples at Quark's bar. Pretty cool at first, but I noticed some glitches when beaming on and off DS9 where her voice will play a voice sample when I am not in Quark's bar.

Damn Chase Masterson was gorgeous.

Zzoram

This game can be played solo basically through the entirety of the content, except for maybe the Fleet Actions and high end encounters.

When I played 68 hours during my 1 month of play, I spent about 65 of those hours alone.

Delio

I have to say the presentation feels a lot more slick to me than before. I can see the improvements already really. I remember one of the major complaints was "omg I cant find the admiral's office" Now they give you a big glowing line to it haha.

Zzoram

I have to say the presentation feels a lot more slick to me than before. I can see the improvements already really. I remember one of the major complaints was "omg I cant find the admiral's office" Now they give you a big glowing line to it haha.

OMG lol that was so bad. EVERYONE starting out would spam chat endlessly about it. I did too.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Three hours later..........

"Someone else has already registered that Display Name. Please choose a new one."

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!

How do you guys find a name that isn't taken?

Delio

Logging into my original char was nice :) Good to see the old ship and all and my crew. Then I got spammed by all this text about all this new stuff and my mind melted.

Zzoram

Guys remember to use your Auto-nav to fly to places you can't seem to find or can't be bothered to navigate to.

I think you just double click the location on a list in the sector space view and your ship just beelines to that location.

I was going to try this out on the weekend; I actually bought it on a Steam sale some time ago and never installed nor activated it. When I bought it, it came with one month free, what happens to the month on the new F2P system? Does it just evaporate, or do I get 400 credits or something? Not that it's a deal breaker, more just curious. I didn't know when I would get around to trying it but as soon as I saw someone post you do tank/dps/support roles with the ships, I was IN :)

Jomjom

Banned
Just wanted to post this to hopefully help out my future GAF armada comrades.

KingDox on CAG gets credit for this find.

Apparently if you buy the retail game you get the 30 day trial, which essentially makes you a Gold Member for 30 days. The nice thing is after those 30 days expire you still get to keep the bonus items you got for becoming a Gold Member.

Right now the CE of the game is on Amazon for $7. That's worth it for me just for the physical items, not to mention you get the TNG costumes and the DS9 costumes. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002V1PTO8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The vanilla version is even cheaper at $6.29.

Additionally if you go to this link: http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/star-trek-online-subscription-bundle/, you can get a free code for STO, which gives you some free bonus items as well.

EDIT: Only 3413 codes left! Get 'em before they're out!

Rayme

Apparently if you buy the retail game you get the 30 day trial, which essentially makes you a Gold Member for 30 days. The nice thing is after those 30 days expire you still get to keep the bonus items you got for becoming a Gold Member.

Thanks! Ordered the special edition just now.

Do I have to wait for it to get here before I start playing? Or is it safe to add the "gold" status later?

Medalion

Banned
I went from being a mid-level Commander to Vice Admiral in about a week... just do the Episode missions, it's a breeze to earn points

My advice is to savor your leveling up than rushing it, there are a lot of diminishing returns when you get higher up

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is there any news about a steam version?

If you bought the old Steam version you can still install and run it through Steam (which is what I've been doing), but it's not on the store currently.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it, though, since it's now published by Perfect World and they have a couple of F2P MMOs out on Steam already, and Cryptic already has Champions up there as well..

It might be a month or two for them to make it fully Steam compatible. The only thing I can see stopping that would be some weirdness with the Star Trek license.

Big Chungus

Just wanted to post this to hopefully help out my future GAF armada comrades.

KingDox on CAG gets credit for this find.

Right now the CE of the game is on Amazon for $7. That's worth it for me just for the physical items, not to mention you get the TNG costumes and the DS9 costumes. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002V1PTO8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The vanilla version is even cheaper at $6.29.

Additionally if you go to this link: http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/star-trek-online-subscription-bundle/, you can get a free code for STO, which gives you some free bonus items as well.

EDIT: Only 3413 codes left! Get 'em before they're out!

What bonus items do Gold Members get?

Zzoram

So is there is NeoGAF fleet yet? With an admin who actually intends to stay active?

Why is this thread so dead now that the game is free? We had a pretty active STO community during it's first month.

Jomjom

Banned
Thanks! Ordered the special edition just now.

Do I have to wait for it to get here before I start playing? Or is it safe to add the "gold" status later?

You know I'm not sure... I'm going to test to see if I'm "Gold" status with the 10 day code first. I figure you can also add "gold" with the 30 day pass that comes with the CE, because on STO's website you can add gold status anytime.

What bonus items do Gold Members get?

I'm not really sure... I believe it's the "Veterans Rewards" that are mentioned on the STO website, whatever those are.

Zzoram

Subscribers get bigger bank inventory, more character slots, and 400 cryptic points per month to spend on microtransactions.

Medalion

Banned
STO wasn't hugely popular on here even during its first release, it trailed off after about a month or so

And I think not many people care about the F2P, or they are just busy playing it.

Askani

I'm Askani@Guyver000003 (I think...right)?

Also, I think the firing arcs used to show up on the ship in comabt. Is there a way to turn this back on?

Top Bottom