• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Volimar

So I finished Dawnguard and have an item question...
I've given two of the Elder Scrolls back to the moth priest, but how do I get rid of the Dragon one? I've already talked to the orc dude in the College but I never had an option to give it to him.

Did you finish the main quest? There might be a threshold quest you have to finish before you can do it.

Did you finish the main quest? There might be a threshold quest you have to finish before you can do it.

Yeah I've done that part of the main quest.
I had actually sold it to the orc and had to buy it back again for Dawnguard. I assumed I could just sell it again.

What's better, joining the imperial troops or the stormcloaks? I'm level 18 already and didn't care thus far.

Oh, and do I need to start completely over with a newly created character?

DanielJr82

Question: I'm going for the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild achievements. I'm wondering if it's better to just start a new stealth character or do these with my heavy armor, sword and shield warrior? Is there a lot of stealth required in these factions? I understand they also reward some sweet light armor that my warrior guy is probably never going to use. I'm also missing the College of Winterhold achievements.

What's better, joining the imperial troops or the stormcloaks? I'm level 18 already and didn't care thus far.?
There is no right or wrong. Imperials are pro the White-Gold concordant, which establishes peace with the Thalmor in exchange for prohibiting worship to Talos across the province. The Stormcloaks rebel against the empire for this very ideal, they fight for an independent (and mostly Nord) nation. I went for the imperials, I don't like the Thalmor either but at least they don't hate the elven races like the Stormcloaks do. Skyrim's big enough for everyone.

M.D

This game has been a weird case for me.
I was super excited at first, like everyone else, then let down when I started playing the game. I played Dark Souls for like, 200 hours... maybe even 250-300 (gimme dat DLC!). I tried playing Skyrim after that, and I just couldn't handle the difference in combat, and the general feel that it was too much like Oblivion.

I can't remember why I started the game two weeks ago, but I've been playing it non-stop ever since. I suddenly found myself addicted!

I also have a question for you guys.
I've been playing with a 1 handed weapon, shield and heavy armor. I've got smithing at 92, enchanting at 71 and alchemy at 39. Speech at 100 from the exploit (Who wants to sell arrows for the rest of their lives?)

I'm currently level 42 with 11 unused perks.

I'm close to finishing the Thieves Guild main quest line, and now I'm feeling like switching over to a stealth character using a bow. Is it possible to do so mid-game? I just don't see myself starting all over again. I still have tons of quest lines and hours to play.

The only problem I see is that I haven't invested in Magicka, and I've noticed that a lot of the archers builds are Archer/Conjuration (I must have that Bound Bow!). I don't really know where to invest as a Archer/Conjuration - I understand pretty much all archery perks are useful, right? What about conjuration? are people investing in this only for the Bound Bow? What about sneaking? what perks would be good to invest in? Any other areas worth to invest in with this type of character? I imagine I'll need a one handed back-up weapon, but that shouldn't be much of a problem since I've been using one the entire game. Any specific type of weapon I should look at?

Atruvius

When I use my archer class I only level archery, sneak and light armor. I have never even thought about conjuration! And I have never had a back-up weapon

-Pretty much all archery perks are useful.
-Invest points into sneak! Stealth damage multiplier is archers best friend so get the perk that ups it. That's the most important perk for stealth archers!
-Light armor makes less noise and gives you faster movement. So it would be wise to change your HA into LA, or just use the Steed Stone.
-If you use light armor, I'd suggest using a dagger. Just circle your enemy while slashing it furiously.

Start leveling archery, sneak and light armor and you're good to guy.

DanielJr82

When I use my archer class I only level archery, sneak and light armor. I have never even thought about conjuration! And I have never had a back-up weapon

-Invest points into sneak! Stealth damage multiplier is archers best friend so get the perk that ups it. That's the most important perk for stealth archers!
-Light armor makes less noise and gives you faster movement. So it would be wise to change your HA into LA, or just use the Steed Stone.
-If you use light armor, I'd suggest using a dagger. Just circle your enemy while slashing it furiously.

Ended up starting a new character and this is exactly what I'm doing; investing in Light Armor, Archery, and Sneak. Debating if I should invest perks in Speech or not, vendors with more gold could be handy to sell off loot.

Well crap. About to finish up the remainder of the Dawnguard cheevos...but man, don't see how I'm going to be able to sweat it out for the Legendary one (kill a Legendary dragon). I'm currently level 51 and hear they don't reliably start spawning until you hit around level 78 or so.

Any suggestions or advice on how to make my impending grind-a-thon a bit less unbearable?

exYle

Well crap. About to finish up the remainder of the Dawnguard cheevos...but man, don't see how I'm going to be able to sweat it out for the Legendary one (kill a Legendary dragon). I'm currently level 51 and hear they don't reliably start spawning until you hit around level 78 or so.

Any suggestions or advice on how to make my impending grind-a-thon a bit less unbearable?

Unfortunately, the most reliable way to get to level 78 (or higher) quickly is using the Oghma Infinium glitch.

DanielJr82

Unfortunately, the most reliable way to get to level 78 (or higher) quickly is using the Oghma Infinium glitch.
Which is patched. So you'll have to uninstall patches, do the glitch, then re-install and continue. Unfortunately I didn't even know about this glitch until recently. I used that book well over 100 hours ago. I'll have a second shot with my new build, though.

Still, why that high? They won't respawn if you reach level 60 at least?

exYle

Which is patched. So you'll have to uninstall patches, do the glitch, then re-install and continue. Unfortunately I didn't even know about this glitch until recently. I used that book well over 100 hours ago. I'll have a second shot with my new build, though.

It's patched? Are you sure? I literally just witnessed my friend using it days ago.

M.D

I understand most people that use archer/conjuration are doing so to have them as tanks. I don't think I'll invest in conjuration outside of bound weapons perks.
Backup weapon.. well that's probably safe to have when things get in your face :)

Thanks for your tips ;p
-How do you level sneaking? Just stalk some old lady sleeping in her house? lol
- I'll probably switch to light armor. Nightingale armor.. pretty sweet! Any particular reason for using a dagger?

My level will be level 69 (That's with Enchanting perks included) after adding Archery, Sneaking and Conjuration perks. Is that too high? I hope I'm not making a mistake switching over in mid-game. I can't see why shouldn't I do it, but it just feels weird.

Strangest thing. Haven't played this game since Jan/Feb or so, was sick of it after two or three characters across ~100 hours. Now just this weekend I started a new character (archer) and I'm loving it. Strictly doing quests that I didn't do before, and only doing the odd cave here and there. Loving it. I think maybe I just burned myself out too fast early on.

Are there more quests along the lines of the Gildergreen tree restoration in Whiterun? I like unique stuff like that.

I'm not even positive. I could've sworn I read somewhere it was. It only works if you haven't read the book already though, right?

I had the book already in a bookshelf and was able to do the glitch to get to level 81. The technique is different to continue to use the book, though, the old way was patched out but a new way was discovered.

I followed the steps in this video and it worked just fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM8v4a1BjWw

Alienups

I just fired up my game and my last saves seem to have disappeared. They're nowhere to be found so i lost two days of playing....

DanielJr82

Are there more quests along the lines of the Gildergreen tree restoration in Whiterun? I like unique stuff like that.
You'll get more quests like that from guilds and daedras. Try guilds you haven't done before. I just finished that Gildertree quest myself (literally just now), it's pretty awesome. Ask for rumors at inns or taverns is my best tip.

(Edit: Check out the Divine quests!)

I followed the steps in this video and it worked just fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM8v4a1BjWw
Sweet! Thanks man. =)

Thanks for your tips ;p
- How do you level sneaking? Just stalk some old lady sleeping in her house? lol
- I'll probably switch to light armor. Nightingale armor.. pretty sweet! Any particular reason for using a dagger?
There's perk in the Sneak tree called "Assassin's Blade", which lets you do 15x damage with daggers on a sneak attack. It's a guaranteed instant kill on most enemies if you have a high enough dagger damage.

Level up sneaking by walking around enemies without being noticed. Landing sneak attacks also levels up your skill.

Volimar

I fought an ancient and a frost dragon at one time, and when I finally took them both down, a revered dragon landed practically on top of me. Rough fight, but I was hungry for some challenge. I hope legendary dragons are tough.

kottila

OK I don't know if I'm imagining things, but somebody popped in one of these Skyrim threads a couple days ago, and posted a very nice list of mods he recommended for the game, complete with description of what they do, and why they're cool.

He started off his post with something along the lines of "I'm feeling like a nice guy today, so I'm gonna suggest these mods"...or something like that I don't remember. I can't remember who the poster is or which thread it was posted in(this one or the PC Performance thread) but I can't find that post arrgh!!!!

If someone can help me out here I'd appreciate it :(

Not surprisingly, it was in the mods thread ? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39123036&postcount=2406

Pre

I've heard they made leveling smithing stupidly easy. As in, you can keep creating crappy daggers and they will still level you up at the same rate until you max. I personally never touched the crafting in this game since it seems to make the content ridiculously easy.

I just made hide boots and such until I got to 100, and I'm pretty much unkillable by anything except magic users. Crafting was a cool concept, but ultimately I think it would have been better to exclude it from the game.

EDIT: Oh, they fixed it? I play on 360 and don't have it connected to the Internet due to logistical issues, so I haven't downloaded any patches. It's a bit better if they've made it scale. I still think I would have preferred not to have it in the game, as it takes away the excitement of searching for better gear if I can just craft the latest and greatest whenever I need to.

DanielJr82

I seriously think I sold off that Oghma Infinium book. I can't find it in none of my four houses. =/

I'm also LOVING the Thieves Guild with my new build. Thieves with a sense of justice or something, they're not out to kill anybody, just take their stuff as quietly as possible. I feel elite. :p I'll see if I can take a pic of my guy tomorrow or something, he looks pretty cool with that Thieves Guild armor. I'm doing those extra work activities every time I set out to do a major mission; I understand those repeat forever but there's a certain amount I need to do or something?

Sneaking is awesome. =)

Anyone else ever experience something like this ? It's driving me mad and i don't want to redo all the stuff i did.
Sorry to hear that, wish I could help. Did you have more than one save? Are they all gone? Even the auto-saves? Could be an issue of loading from the memory card instead of the hard drive or vice versa. Might be worth checking out the "Memory" menu from your Xbox and search for "Skyrim" and see what you find.

I'm also LOVING the Thieves Guild with my new build. Thieves with a sense of justice or something, they're not out to kill anybody, just take their stuff as quietly as possible.

Sneaking is awesome. =)

It was awesome for me, until no matter what I did I couldn't become the guildmaster, Did all 4/5ish(can't remember how many of them there are) of the special quests..

Just turned me off as a whole to that guild.

EDIT: even tried force starting it via the console command system.

Mikey Jr.

What race do you play as?

DanielJr82

So my dude is awesome at stealth, but real shitty in actual combat. Holy Moly, I keep getting owned by Ice Wraiths and Necromancers, and that's just on the way to one of the Thieves Guild story quest. I had a real tough time with the Hagraven from that Eldergreen quest as well, I went through about a dozen game overs in that one. Magic based enemies royally kick my ass, either that or heavy armor trumps everything, because I didn't have this much trouble with my warrior build. I think I need to spend time doing miscellaneous work and level up my light armor at least (currently at level 30). Once I do this quest is off to clear out bandit forts, maybe do the main story some more as well.

I'm also thinking of forgoing alchemy as my craft and do smithing again. I really only want two potions frequently: health and invisibility. I don't think I need to invest in perks to frequently churn those out. Fortifying my armor is much more useful to me.

KorrZ

Closing in on 200 hours played. Dawnguard has really reinvigorated my love of Skyrim, almost level 80 and almost all skills maxed at 100, I think once I get there I can finally put this game to rest.........

Until the next DLC

ACE 1991

Asked a similar question in the mod thread, but didn't get a response. What mods do you guys think are the best overhaul type mods for someone starting a fresh character? Most importantly, I want to start a melee character and want to know what the best ones that improve combat. Thanks!

Does anyone know what that racist jerk Jarl of Dawnstar have against giants? Does the story explain it explicitly or is it just the implicit narrative of a small crappy man with a small crappy town hating on anything bigger than him (i.e. The Empire... also Giants)?

DanielJr82

Does anyone know what that racist jerk Jarl of Dawnstar have against giants? Does the story explain it explicitly or is it just the implicit narrative of a small crappy man with a small crappy town hating on anything bigger than him (i.e. The Empire... also Giants)?

I also noticed that Ulfric in Windhelm sends a lot of bounties on giants as well. Maybe it's a Stormcloak thing. They're generally peaceful, I usually never attack them unless they're attacking me for whatever buggy reason.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
anybody else gone to Redwater Den??
I passed thru there, went to a secret passage, headed down til I was frisked, then bought red skooma. Soon, I was passed the the eff out and landed in a cell. Turns out I was in a vampire warehouse/cave of horrors. As in customers drink red skooma and become bait/food for the vamps. Shit was cray and killed every vampire there. Not sure if this is part of the Dawnguard line of anti-vamp quests.

MarkusRJR

Can anyone in this thread help me with my problem?

I bought Skyrim for Xbox 360 in December last year along with a new Xbox 360 slim (4gb model). After about 20 minutes of gameplay the textures reverted to these nasty dreamcast-level textures. It looked absolutely terrible and decided to wait for updates, knowing that Bethesda would fix it eventually.

I put the game in today and started a new game, after updating the it of course. After spending 30 minutes in the character creator, I started the game excited to experience a functional product. literally 3 minutes into actual gameplay and the game changed to the same low resolution textures as before. WTF Bethesda?

Is there any reason to this? I don't hear anyone else talking about texture problems anymore so it's really annoying to still have them. Do I need to pay $150 for an overpriced hard drive? Also, is the PS3 version fixed? If it is I think I'll just trade in my copy of Skyrim for a PS3 copy. At least then I won't have to deal with the hideous graphics I have now.

Can anyone in this thread help me with my problem?

I bought Skyrim for Xbox 360 in December last year along with a new Xbox 360 slim (4gb model). After about 20 minutes of gameplay the textures reverted to these nasty dreamcast-level textures. It looked absolutely terrible and decided to wait for updates, knowing that Bethesda would fix it eventually.

I put the game in today and started a new game, after updating the it of course. After spending 30 minutes in the character creator, I started the game excited to experience a functional product. literally 3 minutes into actual gameplay and the game changed to the same low resolution textures as before. WTF Bethesda?

Is there any reason to this? I don't hear anyone else talking about texture problems anymore so it's really annoying to still have them. Do I need to pay $150 for an overpriced hard drive? Also, is the PS3 version fixed? If it is I think I'll just trade in my copy of Skyrim for a PS3 copy. At least then I won't have to deal with the hideous graphics I have now.

I believe the only way to make this problem go away is to play off of the disc and have a hard drive in your console. Irronicly enough, if you have a console with a hard drive and you do a full-disc install, you will run into the same issue... a problem that may not even have been there pre-patch. They haven't fixed it and probably wont. I did my first playthrough [with the method above] in over 250 hours in a 2 week period and the slim can certainly handle it but I like to leave the game on a pause screen some times so I installed and live with the crappy textures which you stop caring about after a while. I imagine it may be different for you since you get a taste at the begining of each game session.

Have yo tried having a 16 GB memory stick plugged in? Does that help? It really sucks but the game's so good... Don't get involved with the PS3 version. Though I hear it's been patched to be playable now, it's not certain if it will have the same problems in addition to its own unique set of issues.

anybody else gone to Redwater Den??
I passed thru there, went to a secret passage, headed down til I was frisked, then bought red skooma. Soon, I was passed the the eff out and landed in a cell. Turns out I was in a vampire warehouse/cave of horrors. As in customers drink red skooma and become bait/food for the vamps. Shit was cray and killed every vampire there.
Not sure if this is part of the Dawnguard line of anti-vamp quests.

OMG that sounds awesome... but please spoiler tag it! I don't think its part of the Dawnguard quest-line either since I beat it pretty completely from the vampire-hater's perspective. Though Serana only makes me look like a hypocrite. She has better customized gear and enchantments then even me because everytime I look at her pretending to be a shop keeper or play alchemy, GNR's Sweet Child of Mine starts playing in my head and I don't want to see her have an ounce of pain. I'd pay extra for more dialog for her.

If you have Serana turn you into a vampire, it's just the normal vamp, or is it a vampirelord?

I'm interested in knowing this as well :)

MarkusRJR

I believe the only way to make this problem go away is to play off of the disc and have a hard drive in your console. Irronicly enough, if you have a console with a hard drive and you do a full-disc install, you will run into the same issue... a problem that may not even have been there pre-patch. They haven't fixed it and probably wont. I did my first playthrough [with the method above] in over 250 hours in a 2 week period and the slim can certainly handle it but I like to leave the game on a pause screen some times so I installed and live with the crappy textures which you stop caring about after a while. I imagine it may be different for you since you get a taste at the begining of each game session.

Have yo tried having a 16 GB memory stick plugged in? Does that help? It really sucks but the game's so good... Don't get involved with the PS3 version. Though I hear it's been patched to be playable now, it's not certain if it will have the same problems in addition to its own unique set of issues.
I already tried a usb stick but it seems 360 games can't use flash memory to cache. I wanna play this game really badly, but I want the full experience. But if it means buying an expensive hard drive which I won't use for anything else I don't think I'll play the game.

DanielJr82

I play off the hdd and I don't have texture issues. I do have pop-in and stuttering issues, though. Then again, I've been playing close to 300 hours.

anybody else gone to Redwater Den?? I passed thru there, went to a secret passage, headed down til I was frisked, then bought red skooma. Soon, I was passed the the eff out and landed in a cell. Turns out I was in a vampire warehouse/cave of horrors. As in customers drink red skooma and become bait/food for the vamps. Shit was cray and killed every vampire there. Not sure if this is part of the Dawnguard line of anti-vamp quests.
Is that what it was? Wow. I went there but didn't try anything. Maybe I should just to kill some vamps and get some extra vampire dusts. =P

If you have Serana turn you into a vampire, it's just the normal vamp, or is it a vampirelord?
Vampire Lord

M.D

Any tips for using a bow? I'm doing fine when enemies are not moving and are close, but once they start moving it's becomes more difficult.

I can't land a single arrow on a dragon if he's flying!

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Is that what it was? Wow. I went there but didn't try anything. Maybe I should just to kill some vamps and get some extra vampire dusts. =P

just read something online that its part of the dawnguard quest if you're on Harkon's side. However, Im not in harkon's side thus went on a vamp killing frenzy. You'll be surprised what you find there tho.

anyways, Im gonna collect those things them Ice giants have and find the rest of the books in forgotten vale before finishing the main dawnguard quest. After that...hmmm IDK...might start a new game and hopefully this time around I get to finish that murder quest in Windhelm change race and become a vamplord.

Seanspeed

Banned
Any tips for using a bow? I'm doing fine when enemies are not moving and are close, but once they start moving it's becomes more difficult.

I can't land a single arrow on a dragon if he's flying!
You've gotta learn to lead targets and if they're far away, adjust for the arrow rise/drop. Eventually you can get a zoom-in perk which helps a ton and then even better is the slow-time perk so you can really take your time setting up your aim.

With dragons, I tend to take most of my shots when they come to a standstill to breathe down fire. Maximize the shots you do get by using Archery potions and/or poisons(lingering damage potions are great). Hitting a dragon as its actually flying around is obviously going to be difficult. Possible, but you've got to be a pretty good marksman unless they're conveniently close.

McNum

Um... Hiya! So Skyrim was on Steam Summer Sale and I bought it. Kind of on impulse.

I've only ever played Morrowind in the Elder Scroll series, and i didn't like it much. In fact, I was kind of disappointed with it. But I did like the Fallouts, so I'm giving this series another shake. But I have no clue on what to do next, well, after the game has downloaded, of course.

Are there any newbie mistakes I should avoid? Anything that'd be nice to know in advance? I kind of want a sword and magic guy, probably. I failed miserably at character creation in Morrowind, so I'm a little worried here.

Also, since it's for PC, any performance tips or must haves? I heard there's an HD texture pack, is that worth the disk space? Any killer bugs to avoid?

Anyway, thanks in advance, I know I'm pretty late to the party.

KorrZ

Um... Hiya! So Skyrim was on Steam Summer Sale and I bought it. Kind of on impulse.

I've only ever played Morrowind in the Elder Scroll series, and i didn't like it much. In fact, I was kind of disappointed with it. But I did like the Fallouts, so I'm giving this series another shake. But I have no clue on what to do next, well, after the game has downloaded, of course.

Are there any newbie mistakes I should avoid? Anything that'd be nice to know in advance? I kind of want a sword and magic guy, probably. I failed miserably at character creation in Morrowind, so I'm a little worried here.

Also, since it's for PC, any performance tips or must haves? I heard there's an HD texture pack, is that worth the disk space? Any killer bugs to avoid?

Anyway, thanks in advance, I know I'm pretty late to the party.

Be careful with your perks. Try to focus them on a few specific skill trees at first and max them out, since you only get a limited amount spreading them out too thin can be a problem. Also, if you really want to make your character an unstoppable beast, invest in enchanting & blacksmithing. Aside from that, the game is pretty damn free flowing and straight forward, just do whatever you'd like to do!

hyduK

Banned
So I double dipped with the Steam sale (previously had the 360 version, but got a new computer recently). This game with mods, my god..

Stoof

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I just got Skyrim and there's a little issue when I create my character. The warpaint doesn't change when I move the slider, and instead always just covers the entire face and head with one color, which the head color changes when I change the warpaint color. Also, the other color options (nose, cheek, neck, etc.) also either change the color of the entire head or do nothing at all. Even sliding the "Laugh lines" slider changes the color of the head sometimes. Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask this, but any help would be appreciated.

Top Bottom