• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

zkylon

zkylewd
this is my last year PC

<3
lemme know when you wanna get rid of your current one

I'm all about the handouts

Alright so, I haven't tested it terribly long, but I'm pretty sure this is what finally fixed my stutter issues. (Whatever the effect messing with poolsize was having, it wasn't enough.)

Now the stutters so far seem to just be at super obvious loading points instead of me looking at a different part of the room.
gonna try this, hope it works

Ok, that Wiki fix helped alot. Here is a question with people changing the config file. If they decide to patch the game, will the patch overide our changed settings?

Salsa

Ok, that Wiki fix helped alot. Here is a question with people changing the config file. If they decide to patch the game, will the patch overide our changed settings?

probably but that patch would hopefully be to fix this anyway

if more people report better results with that last memorypool min/max fps thing I might try it. Im still getting some stutter

moop1167

So when people say they get stuttering, do they mean when they look at certain areas you see a framerate drop? If I run native res and even if I downsample a bit, looking around or at certain places makes my frames noticeably drop and I am not sure why when my fps are 60 otherwise. Kind of weird.

Salsa

So when people say they get stuttering, do they mean when they look at certain areas you see a framerate drop? If I run native res and even if I downsample a bit, looking around or at certain places makes my frames noticeably drop and I am not sure why.

no, that's probably the game just being too demanding, if those specific areas are graphically intensive

what I mean by stuttering is the game getting slideshow-y while entering a new area/doing certain things that seem to take some sort of in-game loading.

It's never been a case of looking at a certain thing or anything like that

I could be fighting 5 handymen and the framerate wouldnt drop one damn frame, but then I walk to a new landmark and the game halves the framerate for a couple seconds

moop1167

no, that's probably the game just being too demanding, if those specific areas are graphically intensive

what I mean by stuttering is the game getting slideshow-y while entering a new area/doing certain things that seem to take some sort of in-game loading.

I could be fighting 5 handymen and the framerate wouldnt drop one damn frame, but then I walk to a new landmark and the game halves the framerate for a couple seconds

I just find that weird on SLI GTX 580s. I have dynamic shadows and AO on one setting from below ultra and the rest on ultra. Is the game really that demanding?

DTKT

So, it's really weird. I'm getting frame drops inside buildings, but when outside, everything is fine.

i5-750 at 3.8 with a 670.

Everything is maxed out, and downscaling from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080.

Salsa

I just find that weird on SLI GTX 580s. I have dynamic shadows and AO on one setting from below ultra and the rest on ultra. Is the game really that demanding?

might be another thing then

then again it could have specific SLI issues or something. When testing that sort of thing a newer single card is bound to get less issues

im on a 680 btw

moop1167

might be another thing then

then again it could have specific SLI issues or something. When testing that sort of thing a newer single card is bound to get less issues

im on a 680 btw

Well for instance in the garden area, if I walk around a bit and look at the two people sitting down on the fountain towards the second area, I can noticeably see my framerate drop at native res. Then I bump the resolution from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600 to downsample, and I get 60fps everywhere but the same drops. Doesn't make sense. Ugh.

Salsa

Well for instance in the garden area, if I walk around a bit and look at the two people sitting down on the fountain towards the second area, I can noticeably see my framerate drop at native res. Then I bump the resolution from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600 to downsample, and I get 60fps everywhere but the same drops. Doesn't make sense. Ugh.

are you using the in-game vsync?

I had that. Drops to 30 as soon as I got close to people and stuff like that

disabled the in-game "lock framerate" thing and forced d3doverrider, problem solved

Camera movement while using a mouse is extremely jittery for me... way too bothersome. I messed around with sensitivity and edited the xUserOptions.ini to mess around with the slider but it's still there no matter the settings. Camera movement is working perfectly fine with a controller. D3doverrider is controlling v-sync but that didn't do much.

Any known fixes for this? I'm on a 6870 and it performs really well, besides this mouse issue.

moop1167

nope

im just downsampling + in-game AA. Tolerable small jaggies, looks wonderful 99 percent of the time

I don't think downsampling will work for me, I get a little bit of slowdown for some reason.

What is a good resolution for just a bit of downsampling with 16:10? 2560x1600 is too much. I don't really know downsampling well enough to mess with it without it making the game blurry.

Thanks for the help here btw.

neoism

so guys anyone think the season pass is worth it I can get it for free because I per-ordered through amazon.... and got 30 credit... but I thought GTAV was a 2K game..

Hawk269

The stuttering or frame rate drops I get are what looks like areas loading in the backround. For example, in the beginning I was at a point where it would stutter, I would take a few steps back and some npcs and far off building would disappear. Stepping forward and it would stutter briefly as those npc's and backround graphics would reappear. It is like LOD or a setting to allow a farther draw distance.

Is this what some of you are experieince this odd stutter?

moop1167

You know what... my framerate drops definitely are from loading areas. I get the same frames downsampling from 2560x1600 to 1920x1200 as native resolution except in those loading parts.

Zeliard

Downsampling from 2560 x 1600....WOW!!!

That's the exact resolution I'm downsampling from. Was using 2880x1800 for a bit but went down for some extra frames as well as to make the UI stuff a bit larger. I think 2560x1600 is a nice middle-ground that gives you good results while still keep things large enough for the most part.

masterkajo

For people using the Wiki changes to the memory pool to smoothen framerate and stuttering: Does this also get rid of tearing or do I still have to run D3DOverrider on top of that?

hard freeze at the Fink area, had to reboot

When Fink Proper first loaded for me, the framerate was at an unplayable level for no apparent reason. Loading checkpoint didn't fix it, so I had to reboot. Opened the game again and the framerate was buttery smooth in the exact same area. Wat.

I encountered a Washington a bit later on and it was still running great. Then I turned around and there were four guards in my face and the framerate shit itself again. I killed them all. Still a mess. I tried dying. Nope. Had to close the game again.

:/

I dont understand why people would want to SweetFX this

afaik that always seems to bring up more contrast and tint to the colors, and this game is already fucking screaming strong colors at your face

you guys are gonna pop your eyes out

dude.... don't look in the high res thread. some truly scary destruction of this game's art going on there.

noomi

Does anyone know if there is a way to remove text from the skyhook (I don't mean the control panel option on gameplay) The text that says you can "attach" or the text that shows up when you want to "dismount" and jump off to the ground. Don't really need it. It shows a green glowy thing already.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Gotcha. I was hoping to set up a profile for this game, but after looking at it, it's not possible. It's system level

I'm not sure what the problem is? Downsampling creates custom resolutions available to the whole system but you don't have to apply them to your desktop. Just choose the higher resolution from the game menu, and they'll only be used for that game.

HelloMeow

It runs surprisingly well on my 5 year old laptop. It's got a T7500, a 8600gt and 2 gb ram.

The frame rate seems to stay above 30. Lowest settings of course.

garath

That wiki has a lot of good info. Is there really built in autoaim on the PC? I don't want that in the slightest. I haven't hit any combat yet so haven't seen it.

Thinking it might be a holdover from the console version.

antitrop

That wiki has a lot of good info. Is there really built in autoaim on the PC? I don't want that in the slightest. I haven't hit any combat yet so haven't seen it.

Thinking it might be a holdover from the console version.

The stupidest thing is that you can disable it for the controller, but not the mouse. Wat

haikira

Does anyone know if there is a way to remove text from the skyhook (I don't mean the control panel option on gameplay) The text that says you can "attach" or the text that shows up when you want to "dismount" and jump off to the ground. Don't really need it. It shows a green glowy thing already.

Yeah, you can. I think it's in gameplay options. I can't remember what the toggle is called, but it's definitely there.

I have a GT540M, i5-2430M @ 2.4 ghz, 6GB. I feel like that should be getting around 30fps on medium, but my laptop never seems to perform as I'd hope it would. Sometimes I get really smooth FPS, other times it's probably around 25 or less and does not feel nice. Really wish I could see this game on my desktop, but this is running just barely adequately enough that it's too tempting to not play.

Anyone getting weird audio issues?

I find that sources of audio are only loud when I look at them, if I start to turn away they fade until they disappear completely.

It's hard to describe, I might try getting a video of it.

antitrop

Anyone getting weird audio issues?

I find that sources of audio are only loud when I look at them, if I start to turn away they fade until they disappear completely.

It's hard to describe, I might try getting a video of it.

It's explained in the game lore. Booker's ears are on the front of his face.

Zeliard

The stupidest thing is that you can disable it for the controller, but not the mouse. Wat

Do we know for a fact that the auto-aim actually affects the mouse? I've had it disabled through the ini from the start so I can't tell. A lot of PC ports have an auto-aim option in case you plug in a controller, but that shouldn't affect the mouse unless something is wonky.

I wonder if this is fucking people up when they try to go for headshots, lol. I assume the auto-aim focuses on the chest area.

For those of you who want to restore the default config files, just delete the files in your XGame>Config folder. Launch Infinite and the default config files will be loaded.

MrBig

The stuttering and invisible walls are making this game damn near unplayable for me. I've tried all of the fixes i've seen listed here and on the wiki entry so far :(

JohngPR

I dont understand why people would want to SweetFX this

afaik that always seems to bring up more contrast and tint to the colors, and this game is already fucking screaming strong colors at your face

you guys are gonna pop your eyes out

You can disable the color enhancement stuff so SweetFX doesn't affect it. I only use SMAA and Lumasharpen myself.

Top Bottom