• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei HD news coming on October 23

Fukuzatsu

Their PS4 support has been pretty weak thus far.

Even with the Switch's success, MegaTen games (and RPGs in general) tend to be more frontloaded in sales, with Pokemon being a strong exception. That is to say, if this HD project drops sometime in the next couple years, PS4 will likely still have a larger install base, and the prior audience of Persona 5, one of the system's best-selling games. It would be silly not to put it on on multiple platforms even if P5 doesn't end up with a Switch port.

Fukuzatsu

Their PS4 support has been pretty weak thus far.

Home console support in general has been, let's say dry.

3DS will have, with the release of Deep Strange Journey, all portable MegaTen games with a small handful of exceptions (Persona games on PSP/Vita and the first Devil Summoner on PSP).

PS2 was big for MegaTen no doubt, but in the home consoles since, there's been Catherine (PS3/X360), #FE (WiiU), and Persona 5 (PS4/PS3), and on a certain level the first two are not really MegaTen games in the same way previous home entries were.

Spread the love means giving PS4 a new game and the Switch a port??

Both would have the same games (not that i think it will happen), you could call that "spread love". I own both platforms, but i would love to play a new version of Persona 5 on Switch, like i played Persona 4 Golden on Vita. I'm not even touching Persona 5 at the moment even when chances are slim that it will end up on Switch soon.

Champion

They ported the biggest game in their history to it though.
I believe their internally developed PS4 games consist of a cross-gen game and two spin-off dancing titles. So yeah support is weak and the post I quoted is unfortunately wrong.
Even with the Switch's success, MegaTen games (and RPGs in general) tend to be more frontloaded in sales, with Pokemon being a strong exception. That is to say, if this HD project drops sometime in the next couple years, PS4 will likely still have a larger install base, and the prior audience of Persona 5, one of the system's best-selling games. It would be silly not to put it on on multiple platforms even if P5 doesn't end up with a Switch port.
This game was announced for the Switch before the console launched.

Not need to be mean. I know they share names and other stuff. So there are similarities.

And give me Digital Devil Saga HD too!

I was only joking!

And there is definitely similarities - the developers have worked on both series and both share same directors, artists, designers etc at some point and the demons/Personas are shared between both series. But SMT is the parent series overall and they definitely have their differences especially in terms of tone and storyline/storytelling as well as gameplay.

will SMTV feature Bayonetta from the Bayonetta™ series?

A new SMT game Featuring Dante form the Devil May Cry™ series and Bayonetta from the Bayonetta™ series.

That Devil May Cry x Bayonetta game that Kamiya was hinting at a while back, was in fact a new 3 way cross-over SMT game developed by Platinum.

BG9aghl.gif

Oregano

A new SMT game Featuring Dante form the Devil May Cry™ series and Bayonetta from the Bayonetta™ series.

That Devil May Cry x Bayonetta game that Kamiya was hinting at a while back, was in fact a new 3 way cross-over SMT game developed by Platinum game.

BG9aghl.gif

Platinum is meant to be making a Switch game too...

1amtvd.jpg

Yousefb

SMTIV:A was my first SMT game and I loved it! Ever since I’ve been on Megaten binge playing Strange Journey, Devil Summoner, and Persona 5.

I am beyond hyped for this one! Bring it on Atlus 😊

Fiendcode

Globally yes but Switch will pass PS4 in Japan within the next year or so.

Personally I think it makes the most sense to just make both P5R and SMTV multiplat from the get go. And throw in PC for the west too.

Is this the switch game ?

Yeah it was first announced during the big switch reveal presentation, however, Atlus has labeled it as Shin Megami Tensei HD Project (specifically sitting it beside Shin Megami Tensei 3DS Project before that was announced as Strange Journey 3DS), so it'll probably be ported to other systems later.

Hylian7

persona5.jpg

2018 Winter for Switch
They have been much more consistent on hitting dates with mainline games. If I remember correctly, SJ, IV, and I know for sure IV Apocalypse all came out at their original release dates.
I hope I can get into this one. I tried IV multiple times and don't even remember if I made it out of that first dungeon.
Did you get stuck on a Minotaur in IV? The opening hours of that game can be brutal in difficulty and a mixed bag quality wise, but if you can get through it, keep going. You are close to where the game just opens up and gets really good. It also gets easier.

Just keep in mind that everything is about the weakness/resistance system, and that demons are more akin to weapons rather than Pokemon. If you think a demon is good, but isn't doing you any favors where you are stuck, fuse it off for something that will help you. Besides, if you need it back later, you can buy it back via the compendium.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hoping we finally get news it the SMT HD is coming out on PS4, if not then I guess I'm going have to buy a switch.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
No but seriously guys this game was announced for switch in January before the console was even out, it kinda makes no sense to wait this long just to announce a PS4 version

No but seriously guys this game was announced for switch in January before the console was even out, it kinda makes no sense to wait this long just to announce a PS4 version

Japanese publishers often make no sense regarding platform announcements for their titles...

Can’t wait.

I’ve been having a blast playing P5 on Vita via remote play, but I’ve always enjoyed the demon fusion and dungeon crawling side of things a little more so I’m pretty hyped to see what they announce.

The main reason there's speculation is due to them referring to it as a HD Project rather than a Switch Project. They specifically referred to SMT Deep Strange Journey as a 3DS Project.

Mr Swine

Banned
The main reason there's speculation is due to them referring to it as a HD Project rather than a Switch Project. They specifically referred to SMT Deep Strange Journey as a 3DS Project.

Maybe they are focusing the project as a PS4 game with the Switch version as a later port? Even if it was first announced on a Nintendo system

Top Bottom