• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

Shiggy

3DS indie games at retail were often more expensive than the digital versions due to the costs of the cards. It's no different with Switch. But I'd be surprised if the digital version also cost 30USD.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
$30 for Cave Story. I mean... I know us Switch owners are hard up for games, but I feel like devs are just taking advantage of us now. Hopefully the digital version will be half that price.

Arkeband

Banned
Yes, Nintendo, the famous developer and editor of Cave Story.

Nintendo are selling this game? Wow that's a rewl megaton

Oh yes I'm sure third parties have full autonomy over what prices they're allowed to charge when Nintendo distributes their game on their cartridges for their platform with their branding slapped across it. Nintendo has no say!

Coming Soon: Frog Fractions 2, MSRP of $9999.99

LordKano

Oh yes I'm sure third parties have full autonomy over what prices they're allowed to charge when Nintendo distributes their game on their cartridges for their platform with their branding slapped across it. Nintendo has no say!

what the fuck are you even trying to say

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Actually I'm not sure how much say Nintendo gets in the actual price. They can give incentives to price it aggressively or whatnot, but I don't think they dictate the price of everyone's game.

No one is going to charge $10k because no one will buy it.

Kikorin

Yes, they can price their games how they want, Reggie said that in an interview recently after the Rime scandal.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
30 dollars for cave story? Jesus Christ, Switch tax is real.

$30 for physical is pretty much the bare minimum I would guess for a new release to make it worth their while for a game of this size of print run.

if eShop is $30 also..... then that sucks. :(

Minarik

Do we know how the game will run on the Switch? Hopefully it isn't another BoI where you are paying more for a version that performs worse than it's counterparts.

zelas

Yeah, I'm happy to support great things I like at prices I consider fair. I've gotten FAR more than $15 worth of enjoyment out of the game since it came out and I believe Pixel deserves to be well compensated for his work. The game was free for so long too; that's how I first played it. I have spent hundreds on it and will happily continue to do so.

I realize I am not a typical consumer, and I am happy about that.
So why call it a bargain compared to the $15 price point? Why not come out and say you're ok paying $15 extra in the first place?

Worse than the bomberman cash grab. This is a $15 eshop title. If you want to do a limited run physical that is fine but that price for digital is offensive.

Kureransu

Third parties probably do have autonomy, if they price themselves out of the market, it's on them. They most likely pay nintendo for the carts, and i'm pretty sure nintendo isn't publishing any of the titles you're salty about, seeing the only indie they have published was snipperclips.

EDIT:
I think what he's saying is "don't listen to me, maybe even block me"

LOL

Ugh physical releases are just gonna drive up the price of the EShop which means I won't buy it.

Good for those who want it but digital people are paying the price as well.

Hero

So it's not good enough that a game got announced (a highly rated one at that) but 30 dollars is too steep now, do you guys not have GCU or Amazon Prime? Or even seen games go on sale?

OmegaFax

Physical or not, $30 is steep. Nicalis is making bank by supporting the Switch early with physical releases of games they probably port overnight. It's pretty much their take on limited run games, I guess.

I don't think the 3DS or DSi versions went over $10 to $15 + there have been numerous sales. I think people will be focused on Zelda DLC, Mario Kart, and Splatoon 2 by the time summer rolls around.

Regarding Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ ... I think the pricing is a bit steep if they're trying to reach a new audience. The value proposition of ... "Well, it's X amount on PC, so it's fair that it's priced the same on Switch." They aren't going to lose PC sales over making the Switch version cheaper. They might attract Switch buyers that might have looked the other way and actually made more in volume rather than niche fan sales. Comments I read are from people that have played it on another platform. I don't know much about the game and hear it's a lot of fun. I may be wrong. Feeling a bit of 2D fatigue with Metal Slug, Blaster Master, Shovel Knight, et cetera on the eShop.

Don't get me wrong, I love Cave Story but hopefully devs/publishers get a bit more grounded and find some sort of middle ground between console and portable pricing.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So it's not good enough that a game got announced (a highly rated one at that) but 30 dollars is too steep now, do you guys not have GCU or Amazon Prime? Or even seen games go on sale?

If it's this much more than all the other versions of the game then yes, the price is too steep.

Saying that it's cheaper with prime or GCU or whatever doesn't change at what pricepoint them (nicalis) put it at, just gives the people who use it a discount.

Hero

If it's this much more than all the other versions of the game then yes, the price is too steep.

Saying that it's cheaper with prime or GCU or whatever doesn't change at what pricepoint them (nicalis) put it at, just gives the people who use it a discount.

Sure, I understand that. So what do you usually do if you think a game is not priced appropriately?

Goodness, this is ignorant.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
This cart should come with 1001 Spikes, Cave Story+, and Hydra, and then it would be worth $30. Maybe. Even then it's a stretch.

HOOOOOLY SHIT

I bought Cave Story 3D twice because I lost the cartridge and it's a pretty pricey game here in the UK. Got it at launch for £35 and then bought a second copy for £60.

I'm in day one for this, my favourite indie game!

MLH

Totally in for physical.
Cave Story is one of my favorite games ever, played it multiple times on many systems, never owned a physical copy. Was going to get the 3DS physical when it was announced but was turned off with the ugly remade 3D...
This will hopefully be the physical version the Cave Story deserves.

Battlechili

Banned
A boss rush? Oh man, this is awesome! And finally a not terrible version of Cave Story is getting a physical release! That 3D version was pretty bad. Do you think they'll update other versions of the game to include that or will that just be a Switch thing? Either way this is wonderful. The world needs more Cave Story.

EDIT: Wait, 4 endings? I only remember there being three. The normal ending, the best ending, and the ending where
you escape the island and let the Doctor take over

LordKano

A boss rush? Oh man, this is awesome! And finally a not terrible version of Cave Story is getting a physical release! That 3D version was pretty bad.

Do you think they'll update other versions of the game to include that or will that just be a Switch thing? Either way this is wonderful. The world needs more Cave Story

What exactly is new in these features ? I completed + only once and never beat 3D so I don't know. Only the boss rush ?

Seik

Banned
I'm in for the physical edition, never actually played Cave Story but the overall impressions here are good enough for me to plunge.

$30 is a tough one for many but it is a physical release so they can have my money.

My thought process for The Binding of Isaac. Sure it came with all the DLC but the premium price was justified entirely on it being physical for me. I even paid import costs (and I'll do the same with Cave Story!)

jonno394

Has anyone found out what the actual source for this is? Nintendo Everything don't say it and anyone else running with this is just linking back to N-E.

Top Bottom