• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops |Sep 1st Reveal|

venom2124

I've been watching every video I can find for the past two days and can easily say I'm beyond hyped. Using currency instead of leveling to unlock is brilliant. No more situations like in MW2 where you have to wait until you're around level 30 to be able to knock killstreaks out of the sky. And Treyarch brought the puppies back. Best anti-camper killstreak in any COD. The wait for this game is going to be unbearable.

My only real concern is with the ironsights. Most of the guns shown have the same generic flip-up sights that IW gave the FAMAS in MW2. I've read that ironsights are customizable, and I really hope that's true. It would be annoying to be forced to use the Warlord perk because Treyarch decided most of the guns should have the same sights.

Myomoto

The RC car seems more like it's for flushing people out of buildings with, rather than just you camping a corner and racing around the map with it to find some dude to blow up.

Myomoto said:
The RC car seems more like it's for flushing people out of buildings with, rather than just you camping a corner and racing around the map with it to find some dude to blow up.

Then surely it would make sense from a balancing perspective to slow the RC down to at least slower than the base sprint speed? There's a video floating around somewhere where one of the Machinima commentator guys chases a sprinting guy with the RC and kills him. Hardly seems like a camper deterrent.

What's up with the SD only footage coming out? All the Machinima videos are 360p max - is it something to do with the reason all the videos can only be 2 mins long at most?

AC!D

So many people are gonna rage quit the wager modes. Has there been anything said about a possible currency penalty for leaving the game?

kilongs

AC!D said:
So many people are gonna rage quit the wager modes. Has there been anything said about a possible currency penalty for leaving the game?

I would assume quitting a match means forfeiting your points.

Edit: My question is what happens during Wage matches, when a game gets dropped, like when host migration does not work (as is often the case)?

Net_Wrecker said:
But I don't care about a camper in Bad Company 2 because he will always lose without a good team around him. Camping, in MW2 especially, seems to be rewarded with how you can just hide in a corner after a Harrier and potentially end the game if you rack up enough kills without ever having to fire your gun again. Having the Killstreaks max out at 11, removing the Nuke, and having them not build other streaks means that EVENTUALLY, that camper is going to run out of options and be forced to move.
Me and my buddy had the exact same conversation last night. I still play Call Of Duty 4 from time to time, not sure if you guys notice this but there is far more camping in MW2 compared to Cod4.

After you get your chopper at 7 there is really no need to camp after 7. My buddy used to camp absolutely while going from 5 to 7 to get that airstripe converted to a chopper. I am sure there are a lot of other people who did this and still do it.

You would think that a camper is a scamper but in reality killsttraks definitely determine how a person would camp for that reward.

I am really happy they stopped it at 11.

LQX

Don't know if this has been posted but on insideinfo on the 360 it says you will be able to tag your gun with a name and insignia.

Rickard said:
Just like W@W
If you are WWII/W@W fan those guns did not suck at all. They are staples for any WWII game and accurate to the period

The RC car also isn't as great as people think because it could potentially waste a lot of time. By the time you hunt someone down and get a kill you probably could have done more without it.

.nimrod

-Pyromaniac- said:
The RC car also isn't as great as people think because it could potentially waste a lot of time. By the time you hunt someone down and get a kill you probably could have done more without it.

Yeah, the UAV guarantees a lot more kills than the RC car

Holy shit, I've been too busy to browse GAF lately so I just now read the OP. GD! I think I might pre-order this one, gun game + gambling = sold. Everything else is just sweet sweet sweet icing on a delicious cake.

FUUUUUU- Just watched the videos, can we skip oct this year?

LQX said:
If you are WWII/W@W fan those guns did not suck at all. They are staples for any WWII game and accurate to the period
I think he was referring to the actual sounds of the guns, which seem to be quite lacking.

kilongs said:
Edit: My question is what happens during Wage matches, when a game gets dropped, like when host migration does not work (as is often the case)?
I hope in BO that you don't get penalized for joining a match that's completely one-sided and quitting immediately, which happens to me far too often in MW2. I just imagine it's and early version of Skynet putting me in these games. "Demolition? And it's 190-30? Let's throw grap3fruitman in there! If anyone can turn that game around it's him."

mbmonk

aku:jiki said:
Can we skip arguments from people who played MW2 for like 3 weeks back in november yet still think they're absolute experts on the subject? Oh wait, no we can't, this is GAF...

Listen MF'er I played it for 4 weeks back in November/December. So I know what I am talking about....

All I have to say about this game is "RELEASE THE DOGS!!!"

EDIT: Has Kevin Bacon/Jack Bower/whoever been confirmed for this version? I like having Jack Bower yell sweet nothings into my ear.

kilongs said:
Well, my first thought is this - they should fix host migration so it actually works :D. Then, they should think about solutions to your more tricky questions.

SpacLock

LQX said:
Don't know if this has been posted but on insideinfo on the 360 it says you will be able to tag your gun with a name and insignia.

You're smoking crack, buddy. Half of the guns sounded nothing like their real-life counterparts in World at War, and the ones that sounded close still weren't good enough. There was bad Sound Design in every area of that game.

Xux

Tomcat said:
Am I the only one who hates the rc car especially at only three kills?
Odrion said:
They could keep it at three if you were able to hear it coming and can shoot it.

I got a feeling that Flack Vest will be able to keep you alive through one, making it an option for campers.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/31256

There's an announcer prompt. Also, see if you can make out it's faint sound every time it kills her.

AC!D said:
So many people are gonna rage quit the wager modes.

Yeah, it's gonna be worse than SnD.

grap3fruitman said:
I think he was referring to the actual sounds of the guns, which seem to be quite lacking.

Sound fine to me; way better than the real life versions.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So basically Black ops is comprised of mods for Counterstrike, the leveling/money system from Halo: Reach, The theater mode from Halo, and the faux online betting system some websites offer in games for real, all tacked on to a mix between W@W and MW2.

Could be entertaining.

SpacLock said:
You're smoking crack, buddy. Half of the guns sounded nothing like their real-life counterparts in World at War, and the ones that sounded close still weren't good enough. There was bad Sound Design in every area of that game.

I'd agree except for distance/positioning in gun shots, especially sniper shots. That's one thing IW didn't get right with MW1 and MW2.

One thing about the sound in WAW was that depending on where you were standing, the gunshot would sound different. I thought that was great.

Speaking of that, I think I remember an article with treyarch saying that they were replicating sound effects and distortions in outdoor environments for waw. I think they might of mentioned occlusion but I'm not sure. It was an interesting read. can't find it right now since I'm at work though.

kilongs

Mr. B Natural said:
Well, my first thought is this - they should fix host migration so it actually works :D. Then, they should think about solutions to your more tricky questions.

:lol True

grap3fruitman's post also brings up another question in my mind? Are they going to allow mid game joining for Wage matches? Cuz that would suck to ante up my points, only to be dumped into a match that is about to end. Thus losing automatically.

I know no one can answer that yet, just throwing out questions. I hope they've got this all figured out.

The weapons in WaW sound like their real life counterparts, it's just they're really flat sounding. CoDs have always had lacking sounds though imo. Going from recent BFs to recent CoDs is astounding.

I like that the Camera Spike replaces your usual map - either you get UAVs or a camera. I don't imagine players will use cameras much except perhaps in S&D.

EDIT: Holy shit. I didn't realize this:

Joystiq said:
When asked why Black Ops doesn't include a skill-based matchmaking system like Bungie's Halo 3, Vonderhaar explained, "There is no skill-based matchmaking. There never has been in any CoD game."

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/03/call-of-duty-black-ops-multiplayer-takes-aim-at-cheaters/

divisionbyzorro said:
I like that the Camera Spike replaces your usual map - either you get UAVs or a camera. I don't imagine players will use cameras much except perhaps in S&D.

EDIT: Holy shit. I didn't realize this:

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/03/call-of-duty-black-ops-multiplayer-takes-aim-at-cheaters/

Weird. I couldve sworn that I read from a few sources that the matchmaking was based on your location and trueskill rating which is hidden rather than your level, at least on the 360. Guess not.

SpacLock

Patrick Bateman said:
What the hell??

It's not game ruining, but it's noticeably bad.

Oh, and the knifing sound is almost non existent and is instead just the regular thump that you hear when a bullet hits a player. Lame.

mbmonk

WaW will sometimes say "Wait for balanced teams' in the lobby. Not sure what criteria it was using but it wasn't waiting for the number of players to be balanced to my knowledge.

mbmonk said:
WaW will sometimes say "Wait for balanced teams' in the lobby. Not sure what criteria it was using but it wasn't waiting for the number of players to be balanced to my knowledge.
Because it was a party of 5 vs 2 pubs or something. It doesn't want to split up the party so it just waits for 3 more people to even it out.

Zabka

aku:jiki said:
Yeah, that's not really how it works. Considering the perspective issue in CoD (he can see all of you but you can only see a few pixels of his forehead), the available kits (noobtubes say hello) and so on, it's not as easy as that.

Can we skip arguments from people who played MW2 for like 3 weeks back in november yet still think they're absolute experts on the subject? Oh wait, no we can't, this is GAF...
So angry...I've been playing since launch.

Whining about kits is just sad. You have all the tools available that your enemy has.

And I've killed plenty of people by shooting those tiny head pixels. Since we're making assumptions, I bet you run right onto your own corpse, get shot by the same guy, and scream into the mic about campers.

SpacLock

Zabka said:
So angry...I've been playing since launch.

Whining about kits is just sad. You have all the tools available that your enemy has.

And I've killed plenty of people by shooting those tiny head pixels. Since we're making assumptions, I bet you run right onto your own corpse, get shot by the same guy, and scream into the mic about campers.

No, but I do scream when I know where the guy who just killed me is, and even though I know where he is now, the motherfucker kills me again! But that's just me playing horribly.

The only problem I have with the game (just started playing again after an eight month gaming hiatus) is the boosters in FFA. I seriously do not get the point of boosting in MW2. Like, seriously...

kilongs

SpacLock said:
The only problem I have with the game (just started playing again after an eight month gaming hiatus) is the boosters in FFA. I seriously do not get the point of boosting in MW2. Like, seriously...

hmm...now that i think about it, boosters in Wage matches is gonna be pretty bad now that there is actually something to gain. Two players could potentially just kill eachother and take first and second place, pretty much just splitting the winnings.

SpacLock

kilongs said:
hmm...now that i think about it, boosters in Wage matches is gonna be pretty bad now that there is actually something to gain. Two players could potentially just kill eachother and take first and second place, pretty much just splitting the winnings.

They shouldn't allow friends to join FFA matches together. That's what private matches are for.

kilongs

divisionbyzorro said:
You can't use custom classes in wager matches, so there won't be tactical insertions available. Boosting will be difficult in that case.

oh good point. I feel better now :lol

divisionbyzorro said:
You can't use custom classes in wager matches, so there won't be tactical insertions available. Boosting will be difficult in that case.
Yea, but you and your friend can just mute everyone else and communicate to find each other. Not very quick, but still potentially game ruining.

RJNavarrete said:
Yea, but you and your friend can just mute everyone else and communicate to find each other. Not very quick, but still potentially game ruining.
The people you muted will still hear you and will most likely come find and kill you guys.

Edit: What's up with the red arrows on the mini-map towards the end of this video?

Koroshi said:
The people you muted will still hear you and will most likely come find and kill you guys.

Edit: What's up with the red arrows on the mini-map towards the end of this video?

It's the Blackbird; a new killstreak reward. Essentially a more powerful UAV.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Koroshi said:

The is the SR71 killstreak. Its a UAV on steroids.

Also I see Ninja is now just Dead Silence.

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not. It is an 11 minute video that shows a ton of create a class stuff.....

http://g4tv.com/videos/48464/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Customization-Commentary-/

They say the RC car can go up stairs.

jkanownik

The RC Car is a non-issue due to two changes:

1) RC Car uses the same killstreak slot as Spy-Plane
2) Killstreak kills no longer contribute to you total killstreak

If you want to get the higher level killstreaks you would ALWAYS pick Spy-Plane over the RC Car. How many people actually used the Sentry Gun in their 5 kill streak slot for anything other than getting the challenges? If you get killed by an RC Car just realize that some guy that sucks at the game is actually having a little fun and he most likely was killed in the process.

Koroshi said:

Don't know about PS3 but on XBOX people you mute can't hear you...

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Are there any gameplay videos with the AK47 yet?

It better be loud and powerful. I loves me some good AK action.

Roxas

Did anybody in the UK see the ad that was played at half time of the England v Bulgaria game tonight?

Im surprised they have started advertising so early already!

Top Bottom