• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post a picture of the city you live in

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

Bournemouth, England

6t0a3b.jpg

34qs03c.jpg

Platy

A pic that explains the city a lot (and has a tower somehow makes me think of a giant r2d2)
2r3gilk.jpg

and a pic of the ARMY in my city .... yes... it is pink
6qfj2f.jpg

ngower

Nashua, NH

cfiles27591.jpg

88004452_04079f2297_b.jpg

Fairly large city land-wise, these are just pics of downtown. It's not huge, but it's not as hunky-dory as these pics make it seem. Always high on "livability" lists too.

However, I'm moving to Asheville, NC for school this August.

AshevilleNC_at_dusk.jpg

ATF487

Calamachino said:
San Francisco, California. Photos taken by me.
4455495899_f3b53094e3.jpg

What ever happend to predictability?
The milk man, the paper boy, evening T.V
You miss your old familar friends, but
waiting just around the bend.

Everywhere you look (everywhere)
There's a heart (there's a heart)
A hand to hold on to.
Everywhere you look (everywhere)
There's a face of somebody who needs you.

When you're lost out there and your all alone
A light is waiting to carry you home
Everywhere you look.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
SomeDude said:
Why is it that american cities look so horrible? Lack of imagination?

Most of our cities were designed around being accessible by car under the assumption that you could drive across town to do stuff. So you don't get cool little windy bits or very many old buildings.

Also, during the 60s and 70s tearing down old pretty buildings to put up brutalist architecture was all the rage.

Since we've had 10 posters already put up pictures of Toronto's skyline, I'm going to go ahead and put up pictures of my birth city which I just visited on vacation:

Wroclaw, Poland

wroclaw.jpg

The Market Square

wroclaw.jpg

City Hall(In the Market Square)

poland_wroclaw_09.jpg

Street Level Market Square

wroclaw-cathedral-island.JPG

Cathedral Island

hala_noc_1.jpg

People's Hall

LQX

Brooklyn. Not the best looking place at all but I love living here.
fa2d0cd1e828dc749901e5973f84004d.jpg

(Also, I have had this picture for years. It was posted on a clan forum now dead. Don't know if the dude took it himself to show us or came from some other source but if anyone knows the source please let me know.)

Meadows said:
OMG look at this place in midwestern America I come from!!! It is less than 40 years old and has a generic mall and a parking lot!!!! European cities are historical and beautiful. Most American cities are boring and generic. (Although NYC, SF, Chicago, Vancouver etc are amazing!)
No questions Europe has some great looking cites, would never argue against that but we also have some great looking places. Just seems some are going out of there way to make it seem like the only places that look good in our country is fucking Manhattan.

And I don't feel a place has to be old to necessarily look good. The grass may look greener on the other side to some but not me. Some of these places that look like they were built for old people to retire to or sheep to graze on, does nothing for me as they look boring as hell.

Bleepey

LQX said:
Brooklyn. Not the best looking place at all but I love living here.
fa2d0cd1e828dc749901e5973f84004d.jpg

No questions Europe has some great looking cites, would never argue against that but we also have some great looking places. Just seems some are going out of there way to make it seem like the only places that look good in our country is fucking Manhattan.

And I don't feel a place has to be old to necessarily look good. The grass may look greener on the other side to some but not me. Some of these places that look like they were built for old people to retire to or sheep to graze on, does nothing for me as they look boring as hell.

That's exactly how i feel about mianland Europe. It's one of the reasons i can not be bothered to travel around europe.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
LQX said:
Some of these places that look like they were built for old people to retire to or sheep to graze on, does nothing for me as they look boring as hell.

Suits me fine - on both counts!

dschalter

Where I live is far too small to be called a "city", but oh well:

Downtown South Orange:

south01a.jpg

Close up of town hall:

so-village-hall480.jpg

Where I go to college, New Brunswick:

up-H433VSDPJ2PEJP7S.jpg

A slightly nicer view of NB, with my dorm from last year way off in the background:

NewBrnsW.jpg

SomeDude

Banned
America is horrible. Terrible looking cities, horrific fast food restaurants, religious barbarism and rednecks/idiots with guns.

I've got to get out of here.

Enosh

SomeDude said:
America is horrible. Terrible looking cities, horrific fast food restaurants, religious barbarism and rednecks/idiots with guns.

for the love of god don't come to europe

Arjen

America has some cool city's
San Fransisco is awesome for it's steep streets and the Golden Gate brigde
And I loved Balboa park in San Diego.
It's different than Europe, but some city's do have their charme.

commissar

Ah man these threads make me want to travel, just to meet new people and see what it feels like to pop down the road for some milk in another country.

Bleepey said:
That's exactly how i feel about mianland Europe. It's one of the reasons i can not be bothered to travel around europe.

And this is why you love Hackney, and why I loathe it with a passion.

Girsej

Small-town GAF representing ;D

The city itself has a population of 11,000 but the municipality is about 16,000... pitiful :lol
However, it's one of the oldest cities in Sweden, being founded during 900AD. Could be older but the first historical evidence of its existence is from then.

I give you Skara, Sweden :D

Really old church in the center of town
118014-004-50AD88D9.jpg

My old school
Framsida.jpg

Random Houses
488491744_6d83be4a05.jpg

488872380_13511f5a07.jpg

2080621072_1fcd373c79.jpg

andycapps

SomeDude said:

You seem like a great person. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

SomeDude said:

...... troll post?

Anyway, I love being in cities, but a small town is bearable only if it's temporary.

chicago_night_skyline.jpg

Vorg

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
Went there when I visited Portugal, stayed 3-4 days. It's a great city, man.

Glad you liked it here :) . I love too, mostly because of the city's youthful and relaxed environment with all of the students.

ymmv

Banned
Steriletom said:
Since we've had 10 posters already put up pictures of Toronto's skyline, I'm going to go ahead and put up pictures of my birth city which I just visited on vacation:

Wroclaw, Poland

wroclaw.jpg

The Market Square

wroclaw.jpg

City Hall(In the Market Square)

poland_wroclaw_09.jpg

Street Level Market Square

wroclaw-cathedral-island.JPG

It's interesting how Breslau still looks like a German town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom