• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Design and Tech video on Bullet Time - OUT NAO

cnizzle06

Banned
Except it was clearly inspired if it important has story connotations.

You act like white male with short hair cut is original too.

Man, you're really opposed to my opinion, aren't ya.. It may have story-line reasonings for the physical transition, but I'm still not a fan of it.

Fjordson

Jesus, I would have never guessed, in a million years, that the bald thing would become such a contentious choice by R*.

Honestly, after seeing the GTTV clip and other stuff that R* put out, I'm actually surprised at how similar this is to the first two. I was expecting even more of a departure after that initial trailer from last year.

I also can't agree with the notion that R* "can't touch" Remedy as a developer. After the first two Max Payne games I would say they were neck and neck. I mean, I love Remedy. But since then? GTA: San Andreas, Bully, GTA IV and the Liberty City Episodes, Red Dead Redemption, freaking Table Tennis (lol). Alan Wake was a cool game, but I don't think it was great.

Not even trying to take away from Remedy, but it's pretty easy for me to trust R* at this point. Especially considering the fact that they've been around the series and Max as a character since Remedy was making the second game.

hlhbk

Jesus, I would have never guessed, in a million years, that the bald thing would become such a contentious choice by R*.

Honestly, after seeing the GTTV clip and other stuff that R* put out, I'm actually surprised at how similar this is to the first two. I was expecting even more of a departure after that initial trailer from last year.

I also can't agree with the notion that R* "can't touch" Remedy as a developer. After the first two Max Payne games I would say they were neck and neck. I mean, I love Remedy. But since then? GTA: San Andreas, Bully, GTA IV and the Liberty City Episodes, Red Dead Redemption, freaking Table Tennis (lol). Alan Wake was a cool game, but I don't think it was great.

Not even trying to take away from Remedy, but it's pretty easy for me to trust R* at this point. Especially considering the fact that they've been around the series and Max as a character since Remedy was making the second game.

Other than Red Dead Alan Wake blows away anything Rockstar has ever released. Its amazing.

Other than Red Dead Alan Wake blows away anything Rockstar has ever released. Its amazing.

Alan Wake is amazing, but it's hard to judge primarily open-world crime games against a linear supernatural shooter.

Guys, adding randomizd film grain, video-cuts, headache-inducing post-effects makes the game more cinematic/stylistic.

I think it adds to the presentation style, but each to his own. I can see why some wouldn't like it, I won't hate someone for not liking how it's presented.

cnizzle06

Banned
I think it adds to the presentation style, but each to his own. I can see why some wouldn't like it, I won't hate someone for not liking how it's presented.

I could be wrong, but it just feels like an afterthought to keep the fans quiet. And from what I've seen, it's kinda distracting, atleast to me. Still, it's R*. I have faith.

woober

I wish Max still had his leather trench coat.

I guess I should have been more clear and said old Max with a leather trench coat. Maybe he does later in the game. Who knows. That would be a defining moment in the game for me. I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Honestly, bald max suiting up like OG Max with a trench coat and tie towards the end of the game would be pretty dope.

I could've sworn we've seen shots of bald Max in "nicer" clothes with a holster over a white dress shirt.

EDIT: Yeah isn't THIS bald Max yelling 'GOTDAMMIT!!" Not dressed as OG Max, but there's obviously sections we've seen nothing of so far.

I could've sworn we've seen shots of bald Max in "nicer" clothes with a holster over a white dress shirt shirt.

Yeah, there's a scene in the second story trailer of him dressed like that.

There's only a week and a few days left! Can't wait! Unfortunately for me, my Xbox Live just ran out so I won't be playing multiplayer for a little while.

I could've sworn we've seen shots of bald Max in "nicer" clothes with a holster over a white dress shirt.

EDIT: Yeah isn't THIS bald Max yelling 'GOTDAMMIT!!" Not dressed as OG Max, but there's obviously sections we've seen nothing of so far.

There's only a week and a few days left! Can't wait! Unfortunately for me, my Xbox Live just ran out so I won't be playing multiplayer for a little while.

Oh yeah.

"GOD DAMN IT!"

Ugh, I've reached the "trailer hunting" point of the hype cycle.

Ze days....ze are moving slower.

Einstein was right. Time is relative to the observer. When you're anticipating a game you've waited a decade for, time slows down. Your whole life flashes by, heartbreak and scars. Stay with it, and you could live a lifetime in that split second.

Fjordson

Shit, you're right. So I wonder if that's after the wife beater or...damn, so much we still don't know about the story!

Maybe I'm the only one thinking this, but to me it seems like outside of the fans that have been really anticipating this, there isn't too much hype surrounding Max Payne 3. I'm actually feeling like this game is going to pull a Red Dead Redemption and people are going to be blown away by just how good it winds up, being even better than anticipated. At least I hope so!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Maybe I'm the only one thinking this, but to me it seems like outside of the fans that have been really anticipating this, there isn't too much hype surrounding Max Payne 3. I'm actually feeling like this game is going to pull a Red Dead Redemption and people are going to be blown away by just how good it winds up, being even better than anticipated. At least I hope so!
That's what I think too. Diablo 3 seems to be overshadowing it right now but I think it'll have strong legs. They've done a great job of showing the longtime fans how dedicated they are to the project after a rocky announcement period. I think reviews and word of mouth are going to be a huge part of its success.

That's what I think too. Diablo 3 seems to be overshadowing it right now but I think it'll have strong legs. They've done a great job of showing the longtime fans how dedicated they are to the project after a rocky announcement period. I think reviews and word of mouth are going to be a huge part of its success.

Yep. I totally agree with all of this. On my campus, nobody was talking about MP3, but lots of people were excited for DIII. I definitely feel that word of mouth and people seeing the game in person will really drive interest and sales. Also, this is one of the first games in awhile where not too much has been shown media wise, and that also leads me to believe that there are going to be some truly spectacular things/surprises happening in this game. I genuinely don't know too much going into this game as we've only seen, what, three or four main sections, and that's an awesome thing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yep. I totally agree with all of this. On my campus, nobody was talking about MP3, but lots of people were excited for DIII. I definitely feel that word of mouth and people seeing the game in person will really drive interest and sales. Also, this is one of the first games in awhile where not too much has been shown media wise, and that also leads me to believe that there are going to be some truly spectacular things/surprises happening in this game. I genuinely don't know too much going into this game as we've only seen, what, three or four main sections, and that's an awesome thing.

Not only have we only seen a couple areas of the game, we've only seen a couple gunfights within those areas. A ton of the footage in the Design and Tech videos are from the exact same parts of the shown stages, just playing out differently. If things look so different every time the game is going to be super replayable on top of everything else. I'm avoiding watching the GTTV segment simply because I don't need to see any more, even if it isn't too spoilery. I've waited 9 years for this game and I want to go in fresh.

Even though the GTTV level is ne, it didn't really reveal too much.

They did a wonderful job of showing off the game without spoiling it IMO.

Simo

See for me it's been the opposite with my friends and even co-workers striking up a conversation about this "Max Payne 3 game from the Red Dead guys" and then buddies asking me if I'm getting at midnight. Then again these folks and my social circle are more into shooters than RPGs or whatever Diablo is so that probably accounts for the majority of their interest.

I know my GameStop has gone all in to Max Payne mode with window sized posters taking up all the windows with the cover and multiplayer artwork.

Kind of reminds me of the piece of art that debuted in the Game Informer cover story back in 2009:
paynebanner.png

The GTTV special was nice though. It was great seeing and hearing from McCaffrey and how involved the voice and motion capture work was along with the info about the soundtrack and "strings", since I'd never read about that for RDR. Happily surprised that very little was spoiled and I'm glad Max's dry humour from the previous games is intact!

Bonus on the new multiplayer footage. I like how the Euphoria tech translates to some awesome deaths in multiplayer too and did you guys catch when the one player goes down and collapses on his knees clutching his throat from a gunshot?

Liked the comic too, albeit even if it did feel a little short.

dreamfall

Anyone else listening to some old Health stuff in anticipation? Still remember all the hype surrounding "Die Slow"- happy for the collaboration!

Sidzed2

For one, Rockstar is as good, if not better a developer than Remedy has ever been. Anyone holding up the snooze-worthy Alan Wake as the pinnacle of anything is strange to me.

Further, not all "noir" has to be set in snowy, monochromatic NYC. Noir is an attitude, more than a specific style. Noir as a concept is made up of theme, style and iconography, but it is remarkably fluid and transferrable. In many ways, noir is an inflection which can be imposed on a genre, rather than a genre in it's own right. Concepts like the troubled protagonist, the femme fatale, and the shady world ful of sin and betrayal define noir, and all seem present and accounted for in MP3.

I, for one, think the new Max design is terrific. The bald head and facial hair evokes Walter White, in that it clearly signifies Max as a character whose soul has been stripped bare. It's a smart move from Rockstar to keep the franchise contemporary.

willooi

Further, not all "noir" has to be set in snowy, monochromatic NYC. Noir is an attitude, more than a specific style. Noir as a concept is made up of theme, style and iconography, but it is remarkably fluid and transferrable. In many ways, noir is an inflection which can be imposed on a genre, rather than a genre in it's own right. Concepts like the troubled protagonist, the femme fatale, and the shady world ful of sin and betrayal define noir, and all seem present and accounted for in MP3.

I, for one, think the new Max design is terrific. The bald head and facial hair evokes Walter White, in that it clearly signifies Max as a character whose soul has been stripped bare. It's a smart move from Rockstar to keep the franchise contemporary.

Top comment

For one, Rockstar is as good, if not better a developer than Remedy has ever been. Anyone holding up the snooze-worthy Alan Wake as the pinnacle of anything is strange to me.

Five star post right here.

Dacon

Banned

I agree with all but this. I don't think it's all that an important trait or change. However, Rockstar has easily helped me move past my initial annoyance at it.

Sidzed2

I agree with all but this. I don't think it's all that an important trait or change. However, Rockstar has easily helped me move past my initial annoyance at it.

I agree in that I don't think it is of serious importance, but I predict that the game will make effective use of the new design by showing that Max has been pushed to the limit. The bald head is interesting because the look is both hyper-masculine and vulnerable at the same time, which is sort of what you want out of Max Payne - a troubled, desperate badass.

If Rockstar effectively justifies the physical transformation within the story, I think the moment could be powerful. Again, like Walter White walking into his kitchen with a bald head having decided to try and take control of his destiny.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My concerns for how Rockstar will handle Max Payne 3 stem from the fact they've never internally developed anything that could be considered a noir story. Alcoholic, bald Max I have no problem with. The premise I do. I also has reservations about the chosen location, and the known thematics.

Posters like this:

270019-max-payne-3-pogjkom.jpg

Do little to quell my concerns. Busty, curvaceous latino bombshell. Tattooed, AK wielding 'thug'. This is Rockstar and the style they are known for. This is not Max Payne, and this is why I'm still worried.

However, the gameplay looks amazing, and some of the settings (eg: the flashbacks and the nightclub) give me some faith. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give Rockstar the benefit of the doubt when I've been nothing but disappointed with everything they've done recently with the exception of Red Dead.

Noir doesn't need to be smoky rooftops dimly lit it front for a dark backdrop, but it does need to be absolutely nothing like anything Rockstar has done in their past games. Fingers crossed Max Payne 3 is more than just fun to play, but a faithful noir game.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
My concerns for how Rockstar will handle Max Payne 3 stem from the fact they've never internally developed anything that could be considered a noir story. Alcoholic, bald Max I have no problem with. The premise I do. I also has reservations about the chosen location, and the known thematics.

Posters like this:

270019-max-payne-3-pogjkom.jpg

Do little to quell my concerns. Busty, curvaceous latino bombshell. Tattooed, AK wielding 'thug'. This is Rockstar and the style they are known for. This is not Max Payne, and this is why I'm still worried.

However, the gameplay looks amazing, and some of the settings (eg: the flashbacks and the nightclub) give me some faith. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give Rockstar the benefit of the doubt when I've been nothing but disappointed with everything they've done recently with the exception of Red Dead.

Noir doesn't need to be smoky rooftops dimly lit it front for a dark backdrop, but it does need to be absolutely nothing like anything Rockstar has done in their past games. Fingers crossed Max Payne 3 is more than just fun to play, but a faithful noir game.

You should read the previews a couple pages back. From how Dan Houser explained Max as a person, I know for damn sure Rockstar know what they're doing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You should read the previews a couple pages back. From how Dan Houser explained Max as a person, I know for damn sure Rockstar know what they're doing.

I've read some, and they do give me faith. I have no problem how Max is being handled. I like bald Max, and I like where they're going with the character. But I also want a lot of the game to be a surprise, so I'm intentionally not flooding myself with media.

I'm excited, but still concerned. Red Dead is the only good thing (in my opinion) Rockstar has shit out this generation, and even then I've always felt disinterested in their thematics, narrative and writing style. It's hard to be hyped that Rockstar will deliver an authentic Max Payne when they're not the original source, have done nothing like it, and already produce media that concerns me.

Best case scenario is I'll be blown away and very surprised, which should make for an incredible gaming experience.

Sidzed2

It's obvious that Rockstar have deliberately moved away from the previous games in a few key aspects, but honestly their involvement is what excites me for the game. Assuming the gunplay stacks up (because god knows, previous Rockstar games have boasted awful to mediocre combat mechanics), I'm predicting grey things. Houser has an eye for gritty verisimilitude and I think he Has a solid grasp of character and narrative. There's a fatalism to GTA4 and RDR which I think fits perfectly with Max's character and noir in general. Other key decisions, such as the hiring of Health to do the score, scream to me that this is a project which has been handled with care and dedication to making a great crime-themed shooter.

I don't want to belabor the point, but having seen what Remedy did with Alan Wake (I.e take a great concept and make a dull, unsatisfying shooter with it), I'm glad they've moved on and given someone else a chance with Max.

Two more weeks - pretty exciting.

Just preorded from Amazon.

So who's banking on a sad end?

This is a current gen R* game. I'm not taking a sucker's bet.

I think it will end like all the rest.

He will have a brief moment of catharsis, and then fall right back into a slump in the next game

Perhaps... but maybe this time, he'll break out the cycle. He finally gets the redemption and clarity he's been searching for for so long, and it'll stick.

I hope so. I honestly hope for a positive ending this time around. Nothing against sad endings, but after all the shit that Max goes through... part of me wants that happy antithetical-to-noir ending.

Of course, if it has a bittersweet ending, that's just par for the course, haha.

10 Days!

tumblr_lkfwjxkEdd1qck5m6.gif

Fjordson

It's obvious that Rockstar have deliberately moved away from the previous games in a few key aspects, but honestly their involvement is what excites me for the game. Assuming the gunplay stacks up (because god knows, previous Rockstar games have boasted awful to mediocre combat mechanics), I'm predicting grey things. Houser has an eye for gritty verisimilitude and I think he Has a solid grasp of character and narrative. There's a fatalism to GTA4 and RDR which I think fits perfectly with Max's character and noir in general. Other key decisions, such as the hiring of Health to do the score, scream to me that this is a project which has been handled with care and dedication to making a great crime-themed shooter.

I don't want to belabor the point, but having seen what Remedy did with Alan Wake (I.e take a great concept and make a dull, unsatisfying shooter with it), I'm glad they've moved on and given someone else a chance with Max.

Two more weeks - pretty exciting.
Agreed. In my opinion, Dan Houser is seriously one of the best in the business.

Every single setting, time period, mood, you name it, that he's attempted to capture in a game, he's absolutely nailed.

zkylon

zkylewd
Agreed. In my opinion, Dan Houser is seriously one of the best in the business.

Every single setting, time period, mood, you name it, that he's attempted to capture in a game, he's absolutely nailed.
I want to like the guy, but he burned me bad with Mexico in RDR. Though if Max Payne 3 is as amazing as it seems to be, then all's forgiven. Writing's all I'm worried about at this point, since I've come to terms with the change in locale and other stuff like that. I really hope Rockstar pulls it off.

27 days more seems like forever...

Dacon

Banned
I seriously fail to see what was so bad about mexico in RDR.

I thought it was pretty cool, and had some amusing characters like Reyes.

Fjordson

I want to like the guy, but he burned me bad with Mexico in RDR. Though if Max Payne 3 is as amazing as it seems to be, then all's forgiven. Writing's all I'm worried about at this point, since I've come to terms with the change in locale and other stuff like that. I really hope Rockstar pulls it off.
I actually liked Mexico for the most part. I liked the characters and the atmosphere a lot.

My issues with it were more with how it was paced and how the missions were set up. I won't mention specific spoilers, but I don't think it was the best approach to have players go so deep into that main conflict playing both sides, especially considering it was all sort of ancillary to your main goal.

But I think that's a potential downside of that mission-based structure they use. That's why I'm interested to see what Houser and co. can do with a linear structure where they don't have to worry about any of the usual open-world mechanics that they usually have to deal with.

I seriously fail to see what was so bad about mexico in RDR.

I thought it was pretty cool, and had some amusing characters like Reyes.
Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I just think it was a bit meandering for some people in an already fairly long game. I didn't mind it, but I think some sort of choice for the main conflict or whatever earlier on might have been better for some players.

Edit: I don't mean to come on too strong towards people who are skeptical. In case nobody's noticed, I'm a big Rockstar fan :p

so all we are able to say these days is:
- where is the color
- Call of (enter game title): we've bro'd up your game
- Michael Mann
- hipster
- linear
- blah blah.

jesus, play a fucking game for ONCE.

Dacon

Banned
I also don't understand when linearity became a bad thing.

As much as I like Skyrim I would fucking kill myself if every game adhered to the same kind of structure.

Top Bottom