• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

When people say something is OP, they do not mean that it is undefeatable.

Everything is defeatable.

Being OP is merely

a) an imbalance between the effort/skill required and the efficacy or output provided by a particular mechanic.

Or,

b) it is an imbalance of versatility relative to the other options.

lol that's pretty much why I like it. It feels like a better version of the single player content.

Sometimes there are matches where it gets competitive, and they are fun, but I don't play Titanfall 2 for competitive stuff. I don't think it's designed to be a highly competitive game or esport. It's just a crazy fun multiplayer game.

It depends on the mode i think. Attrition/Bounty Hunt I'd agree can be fun/casual modes.

CTF is another beast though and can be incredibly competitive. I'd literally quit playing Titanfall if it didn't have ctf, it's the only mode I frequently play.

VeeP

Yes they are, but try out the Devotion or Hemlock for yourself.
While I'm shit with the Hemlock myself, the Devotion is just stupid.

The turrets track too well sometimes which is a bug (Respawn said so some time ago).

Devotion with AMP is ridiculous, just total annihlation lol.

I've started using Hemlok recently, until the next nerf hits. It honestly reminds me of the M16 from Modern Warfare. M16 was OP back then as well.

Devotion with AMP is ridiculous, just total annihlation lol.

I've started using Hemlok recently, until the next nerf hits. It honestly reminds me of the M16 from Modern Warfare. M16 was OP back then as well.

It's a single shot kill burst weapon. The last single shot kill burst weapon WAS the COD4 M16, lol

I switch to the Hemlock any time I'm getting frustrated or need an ego boost.

SwolBro

Banned
The small playerbase means that Titanfall can't really be a tryhard game. I guess Colosseum was supposed to be that, but I never really see anyone talk about playing it.
It doesn't have to be "try hard" but at least have some balanced games for god sakes.

People complained that TF1 had too few weapons, so here we are. lol
(For what it's worth, I "mained" CAR back then)

I don't disagree that the ARs are powerful, but nerfing them entirely basically means making SMGs the only guns worth using. And I know the MLG pro guys here and elsewhere would love that, but that's a small minority of people in an already small player base.

I think at that point people are trying to argue about what type of game Titanfall should be, and when half the maps are basically open fields with rooftops that people grapple to and camp on, that has already been decided before you even talk about the gun balancing.
What Titanfall should be? Yes, it should be about movement. If i die i want to die because i got outplayed either by quality gun skills or intense movement. I do not like dying because someone sat cross map and waited for me to pass through their crosshairs. If i wanted that type of gameplay i'd play battlefield. And before you come back with "well that's just how you want to play it. People should play like they want" i'd say no. Sorry. Maybe if the guns that could crossmap you were hard to use i'd be ok with it, but as they are they're way too easy and it takes away from the mobile aspect of the game. That's why people complain a lot about them.

I guess it depends if you want people to use all guns equally, then you spend all your time tweaking your game like Destiny over and over again, changing gun damage with every major patch.

Like at the moment almost no one uses the grenade launchers. There's no reason to because the anti-Titan weapons are great and you have better options for killing pilots. Should they up the damage of those weapon types to encourage more use?

People don't have to use all guns and all guns don't have to be viable in every situation but the guns that are used can't be so unbalanced that you're better off served grabbing one and sitting stationary most of the time.

You know what's a good way to test out if something is OP? Put a hemlok in the hands of a good player and see how much less effort they have to put in to return an insane amount of kills. After, have them try with an alternator. The alternator can be crazy good but the amount of effort required to succeed at using it is far greater than with the hemlok.

I understand the desire to accommodate multiple play styles, and have no problem with that.

The problem is that the Hemlock can burn you at pretty much any range with relatively little skill compared to the other weapons that operate at said range, and features none of the disadvantages of those weapons.

The G2A, by comparison has FAR worse hip fire, a smaller clip, and less aim assist. You can play a passive style with it, but you damn well better have strong aim and great awareness, because you can get punished easily.

Likewise for the sniper class weapons.

The Hemlock is overly versatile and requires too little skill relative to its killing power. Likewise for the Devotion.

SwolBro

Banned
I understand the desire to accommodate multiple play styles, and have no problem with that.

The problem is that the Hemlock can burn you at pretty much any range with relatively little skill compared to the other weapons that operate at said range, and features none of the disadvantages of those weapons.

The Hemlock is overly versatile and requires too little skill relative to its killing power. Likewise for the Devotion.

Exactly, and it needs to be pointed out that in Titanfall1 the carbine could almost cross map you but it required the knowledge of how to spread the shots properly. On top of that opponents had more outs to escape death.

You could escape a carbine from range (from any range really) by popping stim, strafing, and being really fast. There is virtually no escape from a hemlok. If you get nailed once and live the chances of you not getting hit with that second burst is unlikely because the burst is simply too fast. You either have to be going into cover already or that players aim is really really bad. Anyone that picks up the hemlok for an hour will be super pro with it and will shred players from all ranges with ease.

Greddleok

It depends on the mode i think. Attrition/Bounty Hunt I'd agree can be fun/casual modes.

CTF is another beast though and can be incredibly competitive. I'd literally quit playing Titanfall if it didn't have ctf, it's the only mode I frequently play.

Completely agree, I should have said that Attrition and Bounty Hunt aren't competitive modes. I play them most of the time because that's what I want.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Have we ever considered.... If we get enough people... To have a private lobby?

Gaf v gaf

I will be on in around 3 hours from now

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel most people complained about having so few weapons are also the people who complained about the lack of carrot on the stick. Their philosophy for TF1 was spot on. I wish that had carried over.
Yeah, I liked the fact that it was just 1 weapon of each type and you basically knew exactly what you were getting and playing against when you picked a specific gun.

It doesn't have to be "try hard" but at least have some balanced games for god sakes.
I don't think that will come in Attrition, regardless of what you do. I still think the easiest way to make games more even, especially for players who don't know what they're doing, is to have A LOT more grunts in the ground so there can be a much bigger tilt factor. Add in a permanent Skirmish mode for people who don't want to deal with AI at all I guess.

What Titanfall should be? Yes, it should be about movement. If i die i want to die because i got outplayed either by quality gun skills or intense movement. I do not like dying because someone sat cross map and waited for me to pass through their crosshairs. If i wanted that type of gameplay i'd play battlefield. And before you come back with "well that's just how you want to play it. People should play like they want" i'd say no. Sorry. Maybe if the guns that could crossmap you were hard to use i'd be ok with it, but as they are they're way too easy and it takes away from the mobile aspect of the game. That's why people complain a lot about them.
I don't disagree, but look at all the maps. Drydock and Complex are the only ones that don't allow you to easily camp. Every other map is "get high, control lanes, win". Even if they took out the Hemlock and G2A entirely, people would still do that because it's the "easiest" strategy to do well with.

Of course I'm speaking as mostly an Attrition player, but this is what I see people doing all the time. Unless you take out ARs and nerf SMG ranges even harder, it's not going to change short of redoing all the maps to obscure rooftop sight lines.

People don't have to use all guns and all guns don't have to be viable in every situation but the guns that are used can't be so unbalanced that you're better off served grabbing one and sitting stationary most of the time.

You know what's a good way to test out if something is OP? Put a hemlok in the hands of a good player and see how much less effort they have to put in to return an insane amount of kills. After, have them try with an alternator. The alternator can be crazy good but the amount of effort required to succeed at using it is far greater than with the hemlok.
I think the problem is that there will always be a gun that everyone will use either because of its reputation or its actual value. It's why everyone was on the Volt for a while.

SwolBro

Banned
I don't think that will come in Attrition, regardless of what you do.
That's why i don't normally play attrition.
I don't disagree, but look at all the maps. Drydock and Complex are the only ones that don't allow you to easily camp. Every other map is "get high, control lanes, win". Even if they took out the Hemlock and G2A entirely, people would still do that because it's the "easiest" strategy to do well with.
I'm ok with people doing that if they arent going to be able to kill me quickly without me being able to react to it because the gun is so easy to use and so powerful.
I think the problem is that there will always be a gun that everyone will use either because of its reputation or its actual value. It's why everyone was on the Volt for a while.
I'm ok with that if if the weapon everyone chose promoted actual gunplay. The hemlok/devotion does not promote gun play. It's BAM you're dead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's why i don't normally play attrition.
Unfortunately the other modes basically require groups so it's the only mode I play. lol
I'm ok with people doing that if they arent going to be able to kill me quickly without me being able to react to it because the gun is so easy to use and so powerful.
I'm ok with that if if the weapon everyone chose promoted actual gunplay.
The hemlok/devotion does not promote gun play. It's BAM you're dead.
That's fair. I've basically dealt with it by never going through the middle of any of the maps now. I think you can still outplay these players quite easily by flanking them.

SwolBro

Banned
I think you can still outplay these players quite easily by flanking them.

You mean like this?

HNXR7sRXtVpjq.gif

ZWgja37NHeSZ2.gif

There is no gun that could have done this at that distance that fast while missing shots! It also highlights how the gun is absurd at all ranges (mid, long, close). The first guy killed is actually taken out with 1 clean headshot despite shooting twice then the others were all taken out with two bursts (miss once and have to burst 3 times) and then you see the two guys up close all die in 1 shot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Don't sit on rooftops? lol

But sure, at least the Devotion's spinup time penalizes it for short range combat. I guess the question is what they intended the Helmock to be used for, because they could do things like make the recovery time between bursts longer to deal with issues like above.

mikeGFG

Banned
Northstar with the new Optic Threat Scope kit is fucking bananas.

If you're the first Titan on the field you can rack up like 15-20 pilot kills before the enemy hits 100 points.

deoee

Northstar with the new Optic Threat Scope kit is fucking bananas.

If you're the first Titan on the field you can rack up like 15-20 pilot kills before the enemy hits 100 points.

Being first Titan is awesome :)

Somehow I forgot how to hit Pilots with the Railgun, most of my kills nowadays come from the Cluster Missile >_>

I don't mind the red glow on enemy pilots. A lot of people seem to dislike this, why is that? I figured it's nice to have a clear distinction between who is and isn't an enemy pilot in Attrition.

As for Tone: I don't get why people continue to defend this. Simply put, the reward you get out of using this titan exceeds the level of effort required to do well with it.

Every other Titan is designed in a way that makes them excel in certain scenarios while still leaving obvious weaknesses elsewhere. Tone doesn't have this. The 40mm weapon she has is great at taking down both infantry and Titans, the tracking rockets can shoot enemies around corners and behind cover, the core ability is the best one there is, etc.

Fuck man, seeing only 3000 players on PC is so sad

:(

I'm hoping it'll get better once it starts getting more updates and content.

Don't sit on rooftops? lol

Hemlok and Devotion discourage movement because of how accurate they are when aiming down sights. It doesn't matter if you're wallrunning and moving all over the place if some dude near a vantage point can take you out from across the map with relative ease.

The G2 has more drawbacks that make it tolerable compared to the previous 2 weapons I've mentioned.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
I'll be inviting then, let me know when on

Got 4 people on so far, if we get enough... Private matches could be a thing!

Woah! 6!

It's not even debatable anymore
  • Tone
  • Hemlok
  • Devotion
  • Sentry-turret
Are all OP and will most likely get some type of tweak.

I had a match on Eden yesterday where the enemy team kept trying to camp around the back area of the map, usually on top of the bridge, all wielding either Hemlock or Devotion and trying to cover the area with sentry turrets.
I joked "I bet they all use Tone"....and of course they did, all of them.

I was never happier to win a match than that one.

SwolBro

Banned
I had a match on Eden yesterday where the enemy team kept trying to camp around the back area of the map, usually on top of the bridge, all wielding either Hemlock or Devotion and trying to cover the area with sentry turrets.
I joked "I bet they all use Tone"....and of course they did, all of them.

I was never happier to win a match than that one.

yeah that's the worst.

----------

i've never been a shotgun guy but lately i've been having a lot of fun with the EVA

Grrrrrrrr.... TFW you have a Titan lined up for an Ion Core, hit down on the dpad and.... nothing. Again. Nothing. So you mash that fucker over and over, and then it finally comes out and the Titan is long gone.

I have an Elite controller, and I think I'm wearing it out. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Grrrrrrrr.... TFW you have a Titan lined up for an Ion Core, hit down on the dpad and.... nothing. Again. Nothing. So you mash that fucker over and over, and then it finally comes out and the Titan is long gone.

I had that happen. I assume it's some form of lag somewhere.

SwolBro

Banned
Good games!

Yeah, just over 200 people in that list. Sucks.
The problem i've noticed with Titanfall is that it hasnt' really taken off anywhere outside of the States. So, at really late hours or really early mornings the population takes a big hit. During prime hours today there was almost 30k people on.

It also doesn't help that they show player count for each mode. This effects peoples decision on what to play. After placing all the modes on one screen they need to do away with individual playlist counts. More importantly Titanfall needs to go cross play. That'd be such a huge boost to this game if both PS4/X1 populations were combined.

That's why i switched it to a face button. Much easier to press.

Bracket

You mean the custom advance settings? I actually don't use it. I want to but Respawn never posted what some of the standard settings actually look like so i could slightly adjust from there. I'm not going to spend hours guessing.

I use "very high" sensitivity with the Elite controller:
  • Two long paddles on the back. Both going downwards. I use my ring fingers, not my index fingers to click them.
  • Left back- Jump
  • Right back-Crouch/Slide
  • Left bumper-tactical
  • Right bumper-Ordinance
  • A- Reload
  • X-Switch weapons
  • Y-boost
  • Right stick click-melee
I do swap presets when i'm in my Titan though. My right back paddle goes from crouch/slide as a pilot to the Titan ordinance and my tactical goes to right bumper, defense on left bumper, Y turns to smoke, B becomes crouch. A and X stay the same.

Sounds complicated but it's not. It's the most optimal configuration i could come up with and it works wonders.

Do you use steady, balanced, linear, etc.? And what response curve do you use on each stick on the Elite?

Top Bottom