• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Duxxy3

Today's the saddest day of my life, the right driver in my DT770 crapped out. They were my first "real" headphones too.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to replace them with, all I know is that I liked the sound of the DT770 through my amp and that I need big, closed cans. Not sure I want to rebuy the same headphones either because they only lasted three years.

If my DT770's broke tomorrow I would immediately get a new pair on Amazon.

If I could only keep one set of headphones out of everything that I own, it would be the DT770's.

SmartBase

If my DT770's broke tomorrow I would immediately get a new pair on Amazon.

If I could only keep one set of headphones out of everything that I own, it would be the DT770's.

Heh I was afraid of this, but I still can't seem to find alternatives. Might just pick another one up tomorrow at this rate.

Zweizer

Banned
My pair of M6P just arrived. They definitely feel fancier than what I generally buy. It's probably the most expensive pair of earbuds I've ever owned, lol. Not sure if I can carry them around in my vest's pockets.

Jake.

how is the "short" coiled cable on the AT M40x? is it still way too long or okay? wish they included the short straight cable with the M40 as well as the M50.

i'll be using them on my work commute/phone 90% of the time. they will be replacing my sennheiser hd 202s which have a straight 3m cord that is a pain in the ass.

anyone? also open to other short-cord suggestions, although headphones only (no earphones).

matmanx1

The Fischer Audio fa-011 has a fairly short, coiled cable. It's about 1m if I remember right. I actually bought mine to work with me again today. I have a lot of affection for them which is silly, considering they are a headphone and pretty far from reference material.

If you like strong low end bass with some clear, sparkly highs then you would probably enjoy them.

Edit - The Logitech UE6000's also have a fairly short cable and are designed for mobile use (they fold up and have a small'ish pouch for carrying as well as active noise cancelling). They would probably be more mobile friendly than the fa-011's even though the Fischer's are more fun and definitely look much classier when worn.

HiResDes

The Fischer Audio ma-011 has a fairly short, coiled cable. It's about 1m if I remember right. I actually bought mine to work with me again today. I have a lot of affection for them which is silly, considering they are a headphone and pretty far from reference material.

If you like strong low end bass with some clear, sparkly highs then you would probably enjoy them.

I still miss mine : (

Should have never sold

matmanx1

I still miss mine : (

Should have never sold

They are pretty amazing for the price. I've grown to like them very much for classical, jazz, classic rock and, believe it or not, EDM (DAT BASS).

It feels like a completely different world here with all this casual talk about headphones that cost upward of 300 bucks, lol.

I would be too scared of damaging these to ever bring them outside.

Some of us are a little bit older *ahem* and more established in our careers and stuff. It's a blessing that I don't take for granted to be able to have disposable income to spend on nicer gear. Don't let it discourage you because hopefully you will be in the same position one day.

And always remember, at the end of the day it's just *stuff* and in no way critically important to life or happiness.

Xander51

anyone? also open to other short-cord suggestions, although headphones only (no earphones).

The coiled cable is not great for phone use. It's too heavy to hang between your pocket and your head and will pull on your headphones. At a desk the coiled cable is great because it can stretch all the way to 10 feet and it's heavy enough to stay on your desk when you need it to. The M40 is a decent headphone, and if you're set on using it portably I'd honestly recommend picking up a cheap third party 1.3m cable from Amazon or another online retailer. There are lots of affordable options out there.

I finally got around to getting the Sennheiser HD 598, and holy shit, everything is so clear. I was mostly getting this to have headphones for gaming, but I spent most of yesterday just listening to my favorite bands/songs. I had no idea what I was missing out.

Now, what's a good pair that are closed back for when I'm traveling that are similar in audio quality and price point? The 598s are really comfortable too so something along those lines would be great. Is there a place, like a BestBuy or something, where I can test out the ones listed in the OP?

Jake.

The coiled cable is not great for phone use. It's too heavy to hang between your pocket and your head and will pull on your headphones. At a desk the coiled cable is great because it can stretch all the way to 10 feet and it's heavy enough to stay on your desk when you need it to. The M40 is a decent headphone, and if you're set on using it portably I'd honestly recommend picking up a cheap third party 1.3m cable from Amazon or another online retailer. There are lots of affordable options out there.

that's a bummer. do you have any other suggestions for the same price?

andylsun

Never been a huge fan of Grado's but couldn't leave them there at this price. Both drivers work fine!

rDlbRLUl.jpg

Edit: Looks like a replacement earcup gimbal should be relatively easy to get, and a friend of mine recommends EarZonk pads that make them around-the-ear rather than over-the-ear. Anyone have any recommendations for pads?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not any of the grado ones is all i can say.

There are a lot of Grado mods though so you might be able to find a good leather cup that fits.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Everything?
At least you can select output in it unlike in Spotify.
Sure many things are worse too like something with already made playlists.

Not having taskbar controls is an automatic 'F' rating. My review stops right there.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
No keyboard shortcuts in 2017?

Nope. Every time you want to change the song, you have to open the app, press the button, then minimize it again.

Shit freaking Rhapsody launched in a better state, and that was 2001.

Never been a huge fan of Grado's but couldn't leave them there at this price. Both drivers work fine!

rDlbRLUl.jpg

Edit: Looks like a replacement earcup gimbal should be relatively easy to get, and a friend of mine recommends EarZonk pads that make them around-the-ear rather than over-the-ear. Anyone have any recommendations for pads?

*runs to nearest Goodwill

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So guys, i need in-ears (i really do) for using them within the context of playing in a band, could you recommend companies that do business in Europe that can create custom IEM's made for guitar players?

Highly specific request I fear. Price limit would be around 1100€ max.

Antiwhippy

So guys, i need in-ears (i really do) for using them within the context of playing in a band, could you recommend companies that do business in Europe that can create custom IEM's made for guitar players?

Highly specific request I fear. Price limit would be around 1100€ max.

Hiresdes linked acscustoms who are really good, but you might want to also give Customart a look too also. Very reasonably priced and very well-liked.

https://thecustomart.com/

tanuki

I just got the MDR-1000x for travelling, and they're amazing. First time using noise cancelling headphones, and it's amazing how the noise cancelling locks you into the music even more. Very comfy too, maybe the nicest closed back headphones I've tried.

sankt-Antonio

Thank you HiResDes & Antiwhippy, turns out my bandmate has acs IEM's and he has had quite a lot of problems with them on a technical level, additionally i think they look quite ... utilitarian/plain. The Custom Art on the other hand can look really nice. Ill have a look at the reviews for these and ... I think they could be it. :D

I think, with the CA I would go with this look:
e926a6-1490560775.png

What kind of cable should i get, MMCX or 2-Pin? I think the MMCX look nicer, but have no idea what the pro or cons are.

HiResDes

Thank you HiResDes & Antiwhippy, turns out my bandmate has acs IEM's and he has had quite a lot of problems with them on a technical level, additionally i think they look quite ... utilitarian/plain. The Custom Art on the other hand can look really nice. Ill have a look at the reviews for these and ... I think they could be it. :D

e926a6-1490560775.png

What kind of cable should i get, MMCX or 2-Pin? I think the MMCX look nicer, but have no idea what the pro or cons are.
I heard Hidition Customs are also very good for reference needs.

Antiwhippy

e926a6-1490560775.png

I have way too many problems with mmcx to want to go back to it.

Also i would contact the guy to learn which iems in his lineup would suit your needs better than just going straight to the totl. The dude running it seems to be pretty in touch with his customers.

HiResDes

I don't understand the problem with their looks either, they're so tiny no one else will really see them and utilitarian sounds like a compliment to me.

Antiwhippy

Eh I get it. If you're getting customs you'd like to be able to customise it to look dope also.

Which is why I'm still considering noble if I ever get a totl iem because they may not be the best value wise, but a wizard design is still some of the best out there.

Xander51

na, another type of headphone that would be more suitable for (primarily) phone use.

The M40 is a great all-purpose headphone, and replacement cables are super cheap. The one Ashhong linked is 13 dollars and of decent quality. I've ordered that exact cable myself in the past.

If 13 bucks is breaking you on the headphone, I mean hell, here's a bundle that includes a shorter straight cable for FREE.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E9G5JQK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

sankt-Antonio

I have way too many problems with mmcx to want to go back to it.

Also i would contact the guy to learn which iems in his lineup would suit your needs better than just going straight to the totl. The dude running it seems to be pretty in touch with his customers.

What exactly was the problem ? I will contact him, he seems to bee pretty active at Head-Fi.

I don't understand the problem with their looks either, they're so tiny no one else will really see them and utilitarian sounds like a compliment to me.

Don't know, at that price point they may also look nice i guess. Its just that i try to find reasons to avoid them, my buddy had to send them back a lot of times for very stupid reasons and as of two months ago the 600€ Live mixer device they sell broke down (after 6 months of usage) and nearly blew out his hearing while doing so....so ... nope.

And if I could get a set that I could use in a band setting and as a listening device, that would be dope. Regarding freq. etc, I would go trough a mixer anyway before sending the signal to me in the band environment so I can shape the sound to my needs anyway...

Will take a look at the other suggestions too.

Jake.

The M40 is a great all-purpose headphone, and replacement cables are super cheap. The one Ashhong linked is 13 dollars and of decent quality. I've ordered that exact cable myself in the past.

If 13 bucks is breaking you on the headphone, I mean hell, here's a bundle that includes a shorter straight cable for FREE.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E9G5JQK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i live in australia and amazon won't ship that here. it appears the cable is $44 AUD through australian retailers which seems insane to me since the headphones are around the $140 AUD mark.

Antiwhippy

What exactly was the problem ? I will contact him, he seems to bee pretty active at Head-Fi.

The way mmcx naturally rotates causes it to wear out over time quicker than 2 pin.

2 pin is honestly just more hassle free. It feels more secure because the connectors don't rotate on you.

Nielm

I just tried a pair of Sony MDR-EX800ST IEMS.

They sound so...flat. There is no musicality, they sound like a cheap pair of IEMS (sub $50, maybe worse than that). I'm not sure what the issue is. I am rather disappointed. There isn't much of a soundstage, and they lack detail.

The headphones that came with my Xperia Z5 sounded much better. I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX650AP IEMS which sound 10x better.

Xander51

i live in australia and amazon won't ship that here. it appears the cable is $44 AUD through australian retailers which seems insane to me since the headphones are around the $140 AUD mark.

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I've run into the same thing in the opposite direction!

Maybe check out the HyperX Cloud II/Cloud/Takstar Pro 80?

Antiwhippy

I just tried a pair of Sony MDR-EX800ST IEMS.

They sound so...flat. There is no musicality, they sound like a cheap pair of IEMS (sub $50, maybe worse than that). I'm not sure what the issue is. I am rather disappointed. There isn't much of a soundstage, and they lack detail.

The headphones that came with my Xperia Z5 sounded much better. I have a pair of Sony MDR-EX650AP IEMS which sound 10x better.

Weird. The EX800ST are pretty well regarded. are you getting a proper seal? Problem with sony's weird franken bolts design is that the fit can be real finicky.

matmanx1

I finally got my new DAC in yesterday. I say new when actually it's just new to me as it was purchased by SBAF as a demo/loaner unit and has been through a lot of hands before coming to me.

Because of that I got an extremely good deal on it (about 65% of the cost of a new one) even though it looks absolutely brand new and is in flawless condition.

It's the Metrum Acoustics Musette and it is night and day in terms of difference when compared to the PerfectWave mkII that I just sold. The PWD was huge and shiny with a touch screen and a remote and had about a dozen different connection options on the back. The Musette is fairly small (although quite heavy for its size) and is a fairly basic black with just a few push buttons on the front and only 2 digital inputs and 2 pairs of RCA outputs on the back.

The PWD was like a microscope on the music. Crazy detailed but very digital and clinical sounding. The Musette is like the DAC version of vinyl. It's sound is sweet, somewhat analogue and completely non-fatiguing while still being detailed enough for me. I vastly prefer the Musette to the PWD for headphone use while I believe someone with a great loudspeaker setup could really make the PWD do its best work.

Out of the four DAC's that I have spent time with since late last year (Fostex HP-A4BL, Modi Multibit, PWD, Musette) the Musette is definitely the sweet spot for my taste. It's incredibly musical with just enough warmth while having a wider stage and presenting more air and space between instruments than the Modi Multibit.

I put a couple of hours into listening to various things last night and didn't want to stop to go to bed and when I got up I didn't want to leave for work, I just wanted to go listen to more music through the Musette. I really, really like it and would highly recommend it if you are in to NOS DAC's or just DAC's with more of a warm, analogue sound quality.

crispyben

So, I've been using these crappy Sony earbuds for a decade I think, and the last pair I owned just died. Now I must find a replacement, and since I have a rather specific requirement, I thought I'd ask the enthusiasts here: is it still possible to find earbuds that do not go too deep into the ear? I own several headsets, so I'm looking for an wired pair to use on the subway and at my desk, and I don't want to to be too cut off from the world, if that makes any sense... I'm not willing to spend too much, maybe 100€? Thanks for the help.

Antiwhippy

So, I've been using these crappy Sony earbuds for a decade I think, and the last pair I owned just died. Now I must find a replacement, and since I have a rather specific requirement, I thought I'd ask the enthusiasts here: is it still possible to find earbuds that do not go too deep into the ear? I own several headsets, so I'm looking for an wired pair to use on the subway and at my desk, and I don't want to to be too cut off from the world, if that makes any sense... I'm not willing to spend too much, maybe 100€? Thanks for the help.

If you want iems that aren't too isolating give the dunu titan 1 a look.

HiResDes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0124DOK8I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom