• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Deku Tree

Alright, that's what I thought. I'm going to put some Thrown weapon damage instead :)
And I'll see what skill is causing the conflict. Is there a table with all the bonus conflict btw? With all the items I highly doubt it but who knows :p
It's gonna be a really similar sounding skill. If you are not sure then save scum before you try to reforge if you have things that you don't want to lose.

Lol even the swallow tail set is heavy, not as heavy as the one eyed dragon but I would still need like 41 stam and 18 stre to get under 70%. Need to get a divine gloves to complete the set as well.

Defeated Masamune, had a ton of fun fighting him. Super fast paced Lightning Bolt Action.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Does anyone remember the name of that dojo side-mission where you fight ALL five dojo dudes in a row? Like Marume Nagayoshi, followed by Ashikaga Yoshiteru, Hozoin Inei, etc.

Jimrpg

Just beat
Gasha Dokuro

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.... this game really feels like running a marathon for me.

Van Bur3n

DLC question:

Is this centipede demon boss
suppose to one or two shot you? I'm smelling the game telling me I'm not ready for this fight.

I know the mission level is 150 and I'm 128 but that should hardly matter as it has before. Should I run through a bit of Way of the Strong and then come back to the DLC?

EDIT: Nevermind. The damage I'm doing seems quite good. I manage to get him down to half health quite quick. He just does a stupid amount of damage as well. It's doable, just tough.

Deku Tree

I'm early into the game.

Would I be better served by dismantling equipment, selling it or offering it to the shrine?

Offering at the shrine is the worst gives you a small amount of Amrita and some random items. Only do that if you are full. Selling it gives you gold. Dismantling it and then selling the parts gives you more gold.

Got my ass handed to me with Maria, only won by spamming Odachi's Charging Bull (With Subtle Blade mystic art) in the first round and Fuse-ushi knockdown in the second round.

Had a much harder time fighting her and I think it's due to me using an 'uncustomized' Swallowtail set... I underestimated how much gear actually carried me through the previous mission lol.

Am I really supposed to be dying after one or two hits during boss fights. I'm on Hino-Enma.

Yes.
You need to either :
-Bait her into attacking then punish when she misses.
-Find a way to resist her paralizing effect
-Be aware of spacing when she dives ( she is vulnerable when she misses )
-Don't get too close or else she will grab you and drain your life to replenish hers.

If you're paralized, she will stun you and then kill you. It's the trully first fight that requires you to pay attention to the downtimes between attack and punish them without going in too far. Stamina management is key . If you're not equipped , for the status effect , remember that dodging should be better than blocking in this case

Am I really supposed to be dying after one or two hits during boss fights. I'm on Hino-Enma.

Not really, sounds like you're either underleveled or undergeared.

Alternatively you might just be caught in mid roll, in mid attack, or from behind, any one of those three deals extra damage if you get hit.

Get your armour weight to be in blue (very low). Then you'll be able to dodge her attacks easily. Whenever she's about to shoot her paralyzing ball, you sprint to the side (circle-strafing her) and dodge before the ball is about to hit you. You should dodge it every time.

I only attack her twice (square + square) in middle stance with my double katana. Any more than that and I risk getting hit by her. I usually sprint away from her after that as she will sometimes do her twirling attack that covers a lot of ground.

She killed me twice while I was wearing heavy armour, then I got her on my first try while wearing light armour.

Baalzebup

What's the difference between Thrown weapon dmage and Thrown weapon ki damage?
What is ki damage anyway?
Exactly what is says on the tin. Damage done to Ki, instead of Life. Every single time you deal damage, you also put some hurt to the enemies Ki as well. How much depends on things like what stance you are using etc, but it is always there.

Van Bur3n

Completed the main story of the DLC. Overall, pretty good. Best thing about it definitely being the bosses which I'd say are now the best ones in the game. Hardest too I'd say.

Shigezane hurts like hell and any fuck ups can lead to instant death, but he is manageable once you get his attack patterns down like any boss.

Masamune gets intense fairly quick once he pulls out his guardian spirits. In the end I beat him into a corner and into the ground twice in a row with the spear and that shut him up fast. Felt good.

Maria was pretty good with the exception of her grab attack. Fucking attack is instantaneous and can come out of nowhere, impossible to avoid if she does it right next to you. Terrible design. Also, they really didn't bother to hide that Bloodborne "inspiration", huh?

But besides that, I had fun. Mid-stance spear still destroys everything.

I've seen this sentiment alot but other than her name and the light blond hair, she really doesn't resemble Bloodborne's Maria at all.

Not in personality (What little we saw of both), not in attire, not in weapon or powers.

Exactly what is says on the tin. Damage done to Ki, instead of Life. Every single time you deal damage, you also put some hurt to the enemies Ki as well. How much depends on things like what stance you are using etc, but it is always there.

Oooh ok thanks. I didn't read that :p

xuchu

I've seen this sentiment alot but other than her name and the light blond hair, she really doesn't resemble Bloodborne's Maria at all.

Not in personality (What little we saw of both), not in attire, not in weapon or powers.

Yeah I agree. In fact if you've played ninja gaiden 3, her moveset is quite similar to regent of the mask to the point of some attack strings being a slowed down copy paste. Then again team ninja as always liked to reuse stuff.

Fun fight but don't like the super armour/poise that she gets during LW phase as she can still regen ki unlike other humans who use LW. You also can't parry her in that state to my knowledge. Still had fun getting the crusher title though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Not in attire or weapon or powers? Are you joking? Both are young blond-haired ultra-fast swordswomen who dash across a rectangular room (with breakable objects all around) wearing classy brown-coloured Renaissance-like outfits and both are called "Lady Maria". In Nioh her mission is "Spirit Stone Huntress" and in Bloodborne she's a (former) huntress as well. It's legit impossible to not immediately think of Bloodborne when you see her.

Nioh's Maria also has moves reminiscent of Sister Friede, who in turn was reminiscent of Lady Maria in Bloodborne...

Van Bur3n

Not in attire or weapon or powers? Are you joking? Both are young blood-haired ultra-fast swordswomen who dash across a rectangular room (with breakable objects all around) wearing classy brown-coloured Renaissance-like outfits and both are called "Lady Maria". In Nioh her mission is "Spirit Stone Huntress" and in Bloodborne she's a (former) huntress as well. It's legit impossible to not immediately think of Bloodborne when you see her.

Nioh's Maria also has moves reminiscent of Sister Friede, who in turn was reminiscent of Lady Maria in Bloodborne...

Basically sums it up. Look, ain't nothing wrong with paying a little homage or whatever, if that was the idea of it. But creating a character that identical even to the point of referring to her as "Lady Maria" in your Souls-like game, well, eh, if you're going to copy someone's homework at least change it a bit.

The dojo mission on WotD aren't fucking around that's for sure... Gotta find a way to cheese these because it's starting to piss me off :p
I suck at parry and in this game I find it really hard to do so (more than any other games I've played). And in these missions, if you miss your parry your basically dead :p

I got some nice try by running around the rock like an idiot and poking them but damn this is slow haha

Baalzebup

The dojo mission on WotD aren't fucking around that's for sure... Gotta find a way to cheese these because it's starting to piss me off :p
I suck at parry and in this game I find it really hard to do so (more than any other games I've played). And in these missions, if you miss your parry your basically dead :p

I got some nice try by running around the rock like an idiot and poking them but damn this is slow haha
The extended parry opening from having 3 pieces of the Yagyu set can help with that a lot.

Deku Tree

There is a cheese for just about all of them. It's basically figure out a move that the AI is susceptible to and just spam it. Like spamming sword of meditation on the sword one makes it a joke. Search for YouTube videos for any that are giving you trouble. Parry works pretty good on a bunch of them if you can do it reliably. Some are pretty hard if you don't have enough Ki. If you could do them on Strong at lower level then it's pretty much the same thing, except the AI on Demon does a much better job of Ki management. Basically the idea is to deplete the masters of KI and then punish them.

Not in attire or weapon or powers? Are you joking? Both are young blond-haired ultra-fast swordswomen who dash across a rectangular room (with breakable objects all around) wearing classy brown-coloured Renaissance-like outfits and both are called "Lady Maria". In Nioh her mission is "Spirit Stone Huntress" and in Bloodborne she's a (former) huntress as well. It's legit impossible to not immediately think of Bloodborne when you see her.

No, I get why people would immediately think BB-Maria, but what I mean is that alot of details don't match enough to say "Oh they're just trying to do BB" when you really think about it.

Using their weapon and powers for example- Nioh's Maria uses a Rapier weapon while BB Maria uses a sort of Saber/Katana dual blades hybrid and a pistol. BB Maria uses blood/fire while N-Maria uses 'soul' magic(?). Even their environments are different, one is a grandclock tower while the other is an abnormally large storehouse.

And You have to admit though, stuff like "brown-coloured Renaissance-like outfits" and "ultra-fast swordswomen" are pretty vague ^^;

Baalzebup

On another note, at what point do I get higher rank Divine drops? I'm at the fourth region in WotS and I'm still getting Lv150+0 Divines.
That seems weird. I was getting +1 and +2 items even from the first region, going up to +6 items from missions like Two Kings and other similar level missions. Luck does affect the +# values somewhat, but you should definitely be seeing +# divines pretty often outside of revenant drops, which will never have +# values.

That seems weird. I was getting +1 and +2 items even from the first region, going up to +6 items from missions like Two Kings and other similar level missions. Luck does affect the +# values somewhat, but you should definitely be seeing +# divines pretty often outside of revenant drops, which will never have +# values.

....Oh....OOOHHHH..... I was wondering why all of them were only dropping base divine gear...

But yeah +1 have not been regular for me, but I guess I should try to push towards unlocking the late game regions then.

There is a cheese for just about all of them. It's basically figure out a move that the AI is susceptible to and just spam it. Like spamming sword of meditation on the sword one makes it a joke. Search for YouTube videos for any that are giving you trouble. Parry works pretty good on a bunch of them if you can do it reliably. Some are pretty hard if you don't have enough Ki. If you could do them on Strong at lower level then it's pretty much the same thing, except the AI on Demon does a much better job of Ki management. Basically the idea is to deplete the masters of KI and then punish them.

Yea that's what I noticed. I'm almost done with those mission now, I had to reset my stat a bunch of time though... I got the Yagyu smithing text from one of the master so I could parry a bit more (idk if I'm getting better at parry or this set is really making a difference but I managed to land a lot of parry :p).
Especially the spear and axe guys, parry is the way to go for them.

But I have to confess... The sword master, at 15% of his life I just used the bridge to cheese him with ki pulse... For like 10min... 144 damage every 10/15sec :p
I was really low on life if that can be an excuse.

Jimrpg

I just beat the game, 72 hours total.

I can't believe the main game is that long.

Loved the
boss run in the second last level. Going thru all the bosses 1st time just showed how much better I got over time.

I just beat the game, 72 hours total.

I can't believe the main game is that long.

Loved the
boss run in the second last level. Going thru all the bosses 1st time just showed how much better I got over time.

Finished too ! Lots of help on game system provided here, thanks guys.

Clocked at 77 hours. Loved the last missions, amazing visuals and great power trip with two allies then the solo boss rush.

I also loved the epilogue mission ! What a nice surprise !

I just think it's a wasted opportunity that there are no real naginata in the spears. I love naginatas (they are more slashing spears than thrusting spears).

Also, I fucking loved (before last mission boss) O
da Nobunaga's Tengen Kujaku,
such a beautiful rendition, the color, the light, the long feather is was beautiful when he faced back and wore it as a cape as he walked away...
so beautiful.

I only have the side missions post main story now. I have no idea how to fight two bosses at once lol.

I want to keep playing. Before I invest in the season pass, is there any fun stuff to do ? Crazy builds ? I'm level 100 and I have 1 million gold and tons of items. I think I could try some super specific build with full Sets

Question about the new bonuses

1) How good is "consecutive attacks"? Better for fast weapons I assume?
2) How good is damage bonus from "more/less armor"?
3) "weaken weapon/armor" is a PvP thing right?

Any other new bonuses I should know about?

Question about the new bonuses

1) How good is "consecutive attacks"? Better for fast weapons I assume?
2) How good is damage bonus from "more/less armor"?
3) "weaken weapon/armor" is a PvP thing right?

Any other new bonuses I should know about?

From what I experienced:
- I use consecutive attack for my throwing weapon, you notive the difference but since I only have a C+ it's not that great. I think a A/A+ would really make a difference. Can be use for other close combat skills I think.
- The Damage bonus (less armor) seems useless to me... You actually have to remove piece of armor to benefit the bonus
- I have Weaken armor and I see it activates when I hit sometimes. It works in PVE. I assume Weaken Weapon is the same thing (expect it reduces attack instead)

Jimrpg

Finished too ! Lots of help on game system provided here, thanks guys.

Clocked at 77 hours. Loved the last missions, amazing visuals and great power trip with two allies then the solo boss rush.

I also loved the epilogue mission ! What a nice surprise !

I just think it's a wasted opportunity that there are no real naginata in the spears. I love naginatas (they are more slashing spears than thrusting spears).

Also, I fucking loved (before last mission boss) O
da Nobunaga's Tengen Kujaku,
such a beautiful rendition, the color, the light, the long feather is was beautiful when he faced back and wore it as a cape as he walked away...
so beautiful.

I only have the side missions post main story now. I have no idea how to fight two bosses at once lol.

I want to keep playing. Before I invest in the season pass, is there any fun stuff to do ? Crazy builds ? I'm level 100 and I have 1 million gold and tons of items. I think I could try some super specific build with full Sets

Nice! But didn't you just start a couple of weeks ago? Haha. I wish they had more stages with your allies, that would have been cool. It was way too easy with them though as you could just let them kill the enemies for you.

That million gold is going to go quick if you do soul matching. I couldn't even afford to soul match my head armour to the highest level at the end. Best I could do was jump up from level 40 to level 80 and I had used all my gold. I even had 3 pieces of 50% reduction cost of soul matching.

Another thing regarding Oda Nobunaga is that he was voiced by Kou Shibusawa. That's so awesome.

My quick thoughts on the game though (I'll write a more thorough review on my personal blog in the coming days) -

+ It might be the best combat in a game ever. I haven't played enough Bayonetta/DMC/Ninja Gaiden to have a more concrete opinion, though I've played a bit of all of them. There's an amazing but not overwhelming amount of flexibility between the skill sets for each weapon, the stances, dodging vs blocking, magic, ninjitsu, and all of it with a great control system, I like the attack buttons on square and triangle (over R1 in Souls). You could theoretically play the game all over again with another weapon and it would play totally different. I ended up playing the Axe and Dual Katana set and it gave me strategic flexibility when going up against the bosses.

+ I personally love the loot system. They did a great job balancing it. I think it did get overpowered at the end somewhat, the bosses at the end went down way faster than the ones at the start, especially when you can get toughness to 200, agility to B. But for much of the game, I was always trying to get every advantage I possibly could by checking every item I got. Certainly its a entire gameplay system that's never been done this well before in an action game.

+ The presentation is amazing. KT might be the best in the business. I love the Japanese style water/ink painting story scenes. Even if most of them lacked focus on the central story. The UI was really well done in general. I really liked the extensive text with items and the game encyclopaedia.

- This is a personal thing and I don't know if I will mark it down on a review though I've been debating it for the best part of a month now, but the game is just flat out too long for me. As someone with limited game time, it took me about 2 months to finish the game. Some of the stages were so long with maybe three or four shrines in the area. Past the first area, I didn't do any of the side missions. The main game took me 72 hours, and I don't think this type of game (especially when you can provide side missions, twilight missions, DLC and difficulty levels) need it.

- I think the graphics were pretty great for the character models in cut scenes (KT doing what they do best), but pretty average during the game. Even Yakuza 0 (at 1080/60) is a WAY better looking game than this, though Nioh overall runs smooth as silk.

- Though I liked the water/ink paintings story scenes, I thought the story and the script was just bad in general. Most of it doesn't make any sense, or characters would tell you about something that wouldn't really connect back to the main story. The overall story arc is just straight up bad, this is the second white haired hero game where they're always chasing after something that's narrowly avoiding them the entire way. Edward Kelley is a terrible villain devoid of anything interesting. Another gripe - but most scenarios had no reason but William Adams play the good samaritan. Sir Anjin can you help clear the village of Spiders? Sir Anjin can you get rid of the yokai in this region? So one man is going to fix the entire country's problems? I just felt like they didn't try hard enough to give the MC reasons to help.

But overall, Nioh is an amazing game. It's flawed, but they totally nailed the gameplay and I enjoyed every hour I played.

I made my ninja build last week and I love it. A bit too much overpowered perhaps but I find it so fun to play.
It's basically throwing shuriken and kunai while using different other ninjutsu items. I can help you with building this (it requires some items that are quite rare, but one can drop them).

I'm about to do a riffle build next :)

I'm actually having trouble understanding what's written here lol
The "Reprint" stuf sounds like reforge, no?

Jimrpg

Going to leave my Nioh review here for anyone who wants to know my full thoughts on the game -

Nioh Review

Score:
9/10

Almost 3000 words long
Just like the game then.

Izuna

Banned
gBHPuPS.gif

Oh wow, the trick to get the Yasakani Magatama from Trails of the Master still works. Not the best bonuses but still decent.

Died a few times on the red walkway though >_>

I also noticed my weapons aren't dealing nearly enough damage on even a simple dweller at this level... using +2 divines.

It would be interesting to see if rather than a Souls game, Nioh find its true calling as a gaas

All of this might be a test bed for Nioh 2, and if it's still a PlayStation exclusive, Sony would have a very unique game on their hands.

Top Bottom