• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt is looking for mobile devs for Gwent, board recommends to pay out dividend

Metalmarc

Binned! arghghghghhgdhhdhdh, i expect only the best now and nothing else, cos lord help if the thing they scrapped was actually awesome, and only got scrapped cos of the new guy in charge

Shouldve released 2012 game as cyberpunk 2077 one and released in 2016 and the one they working on now release in 2019/2020 as cyberpunk 2077 2

What other games were in development for a long time and versions got binned gaf? But then eventually released many years later?

Duke Nukem?

I know nothing about that. What I can tell you, is that the chances for the next Witcher game to feature Ciri as the protagonist are next to zero, unless Horizon has changed CDPR's opinion. They had a research into female game protagonists, and it wasn't great.

Alvin next protagonist confirmed

Ahasverus

I know nothing about that. What I can tell you, is that the chances for the next Witcher game to feature Ciri as the protagonist are next to zero, unless Horizon has changed CDPR's opinion. They had a research into female game protagonists, and it wasn't great.
CDPRed plz. If there's one studio to be inmune to "gaming public habits" is them. They turned a fantasy, nerdy, politically heavy, non handholding polish RPG into a millions seller, on its third (second?) entry. They can make a female protagonist work.

If anything, I'd thought any problems with making Ciri the MC would have been derived from her powers.

Nezacant

Binned! arghghghghhgdhhdhdh, i expect only the best now and nothing else, cos lord help if the thing they scrapped was actually awesome, and only got scrapped cos of the new guy in charge

What other games were in development for a long time and versions got binned gaf? But then eventually released many years later?

Duke Nukem?

Final Fantasy XV comes to mind.

boskee

CDPRed plz. If there's one studio to be inmune to "gaming public habits" is them. They turned a fantasy, nerdy, politically heavy, non handholding polish RPG into a millions seller, on its third (second?) entry. They can make a female protagonist work.

If anything, I'd thought any problems with making Ciri the MC would have been derived from her powers.

Well, let's hope that Horizon's success makes them reconsider :)

Music to my ears. Although it's been said multiple times before, IIRC.

And before people hate on me, no, it's not because she's a woman. I've got nothing against female protagonists. I just don't like Ciri or think that she's fit to be a protagonist in a game series called "The Witcher". She's not a witcher, and she's super OP. The Ciri sections in TW3 are the easiest, without a doubt.

I'd take a game with Eskel, Lambert, Vesemir or Letho fo' sure. All interesting characters, who are actually witchers. I just hope they don't pull a Cyperpunk and make W4 a make your own protag style game. The series strength is in it's pre-defined main characters IMO.

Ahasverus

Eh, just make something called "The last Witcher", a dude as the last surviving of its class due to a supernatural purge or a second cataclysm, boom, drama.

Wagram

Nice. Gwent absolutely needs a mobile version. I can play the hell out of it while on the obligatory bullshit lunch break.

boskee

And before people hate on me, no, it's not because she's a woman. I've got nothing against female protagonists. I just don't like Ciri or think that she's fit to be a protagonist in a game series called "The Witcher". She's not a witcher, and she's super OP. The Ciri sections in TW3 are the easiest, without a doubt.

I'd take a game with Eskel, Lambert, Vesemir or Letho fo' sure. All interesting characters, who are actually witchers. I just hope they don't pull a Cyperpunk and make W4 a make your own protag style game. The series strength is in it's pre-defined main characters IMO.

I'd rather have CDPR have a "make your own protagonist" with the Cyberpunk series, and leave Witcher with a pre-definited protagonist, like a yonug Vesemir.

Nezacant

Spoiler alert:

Ciri is the main character of Cyberpunk 2077. :p

fastmower

Well, they have the engine, and there are more people working on this game than have worked on TW3 in the peak of the dev process.
If you are right - my mind will be blown. They must work the people like slaves all while being super efficient.

They must work the people like slaves all while being super efficient.

I think only half of that sentence can be correct at any given time. Seriously, I would not want to work they way the guys at CDPR have to. Crunching for years at a time to make up for poor planning is not right, and seriously unhealthy in the long term.

TW3 winning all the awards probably didn't help change the culture. Although glassdoor should be taken with a massive pinch of salt, there are enough comments about the crunch culture to warrant concern.

eot

Banned

Wow

That fucking sucks (not Ciri specifically, just their reasoning)

fastmower

I think only half of that sentence can be correct at any given time. Seriously, I would not want to work they way the guys at CDPR have to. Crunching for years at a time to make up for poor planning is not right, and seriously unhealthy in the long term.

TW3 winning all the awards probably didn't help change the culture. Although glassdoor should be taken with a massive pinch of salt, there are enough comments about the crunch culture to warrant concern.
Well to get a game bigger in scope than TW3 in a matter of a couple years...I imagine you'd have to combine a slave like work culture and ridiculous efficiency.

boskee

Well, glasdoors aside, you'd find that people working at the Naught Dog were called Zombies for having to work 72 hours straight. It's an unfortunate (wrong) part of the game dev, and CDPR isn't a saint here unfortunately.

Falchion

Nice, Gwent is perfect for mobile because if I'm at my TV, I don't really want to play a dedicated card game which is what you have to do to play Gwent now.

What happened between the pre-production and the "bin" of all that work?
That's right.
Cyberpunk 2077 confirmed for Nintendo Switch exclusive.

Budi

Is this referring to a financial risk having a female main/solo protagonist or something else? I'm bit surprised honestly that it would be a huge deal in this day and age. But yeah, I haven't done any real research myself so what do I know! And honestly, I was already kinda looking forward to playing as Ciri again :/

Really can't wait for the Gwent campaigns, the little what I know about those sounds fucking awesome. The "adventures" in Hearthstone were such a low effort.

someday

Banned
Nice, Gwent is perfect for mobile because if I'm at my TV, I don't really want to play a dedicated card game which is what you have to do to play Gwent now.
I feel the same. This mobile news is the best thing I've heard about the new Gwent game. I'm just having a hard time playing it on console when there's so many other games I'd rather be playing then.

KonradLaw

The problem with Ciri is that she's not Geralt. There won't be a Witcher 4 without Geralt as a lead. No matter what they like to suggest now, I fully believe when push comes to shove it will be Geralt.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall, to see what was canned and why, especially relative to either production difficulties or simply not matching expected quality and standard.

After all, both The Witcher 2 and (AFAIK) The Witcher 3 had "troubled" production cycles. Troubled isn't really the right word, more that a lot of content was shuffled around, changes in direction, stuff cut due to time/budget/whatever, and so on. And I don't necessarily mean it in a bad way, as that's par for course with game development. To CDPR's credit, they've always pulled full so far, making the best out of whatever production hurdles they hit.

I'm really interested to see just how open and traditional to table top role playing Cypberpunk actually is. The Witcher isn't - it's strict on just how deeply you can interact with the game world on a game system / skill level, likened more to an action RPG in play, with a lot of the role playing being delegated to the dialogue and narrative. And even that is a major focus with so much voice work, and set cast and protagonist.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The problem with Ciri is that she's not Geralt. There won't be a Witcher 4 without Geralt as a lead. No matter what they like to suggest now, I fully believe when push comes to shove it will be Geralt.

I think he will be in any future games but not as a main character. He could perhaps play a role like Vesemir did. I don't want Geralt to be the main character so I'd prefer Ciri.

jdstorm

Banned
Final Fantasy XV comes to mind.

FFXV from everything that leaked wasn't awesome and most of what was wrong with FFXV seemingly origionated in the versus 13 concept.

Happy CDPR are ready to scrap Cyberpunk and start over if it didnt work. They are a great team and hopefully they are now working on something that is great. Thats better then trying to stitch together something that doesn't work.

Aangster

I noticed that the Blood & Wine credits have dedicated 'living world' designers in addition to game and quest designers. I wonder if that's a sizeable change in development management and processes within CDPR.

Ahasverus

Wrong. The Geralt story is more than wrapped up. The Witcher is not geralt, even some of the books/stories don't make him the MC.

Anarkin

I'd rather have CDPR have a "make your own protagonist" with the Cyberpunk series, and leave Witcher with a pre-definited protagonist, like a yonug Vesemir.

I wonder if they changed their mind after the success of TW3 and CP2077 will have a predefined protagonist. Maybe that's why they started from new?

Budi

I wonder if they changed their mind after the success of TW3 and CP2077 will have a predefined protagonist. Maybe that's why they started from new?

I really don't think so, I think it's been stated that being able to create your own character is very important to them in this game. And it's just not being faithul to the source, it's in the core of the game. And there's that some kind of multiplayer angle too.

Top Bottom