• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: "We purposefully did not target the highest end graphics"

E-Cat

That's a given, and it's equally true for any console ever that isn't the Neo Geo.
And yet it's even more true here. There's a difference between what can be theoretically pushed vs. what can be reasonably pushed but still remaining cutting edge. What we have here is neither, while PS4 is arguably the latter (just barely).

Ummm guys, the 360 wasn't exactly "high end graphics" when it was released. I'm not seeing the big problem here. None of the consoles are what I'd call high end graphics.

Looks like I'll be sticking to pc this gen seeing as how it will probably have superior graphics at launch and I've always been able to seamlessly alt-tab from games to TV.

Staab

This is a real missed opportunity for Nintendo, I feel like what Microsoft is doing with the Xbox One was exactly what Nintendo were targeting : all around entertainment system with special features to differentiate themselves... only... done right.

I like it.

Hardware and IQ is 90% of my platform choice. It's goodbye to Microsoft after 2 generations with them.

XO just rubs me the wrong way in too many places.

kamakazi5

The price is still going to be expensive because of that stupid Kinect. They didnt target the highest end because they couldn't afford to. Also mandatory instalations means a mandatory HDD. What a crock.

Pretty much that and all of these crazy partnerships. I know a lot of people like the entertainment side of things but I could not care less about it all.

SparkTR

Ummm guys, the 360 wasn't exactly "high end graphics" when it was released. I'm not seeing the big problem here. None of the consoles are what I'd call high end graphics.

It was lacking in certain aspects but it was able to do stuff even high end PCs couldn't do at the time, at early gen games easily matched or outdid what high end PCs were doing. This is the first generation ever where PC hardware completely outclasses new consoles.

Why should it matter?

If you care about graphics you're playing on the PC already. The difference it makes is miniscule.

The only people this effects are graphics whores who love console-exclusives. Those people are few and far between.

Durante

It was far far closer to "high end graphics" at its release than the "one" will be.

boingball

Too bad for you Microsoft.

You just lost Next Gen.

You mean too bad for us. Multi-platform titles will be still be developed on the One and PS4. They might look a little bit better on the PS4 but I am sure they will not max out the PS4.

There will be a much bigger gap between SSM and ND games and 3rd party PS4 games than this gen.

E-Cat

Why should it matter?

If you care about graphics you're playing on the PC already. The difference it makes is miniscule.

The only people this effects are graphics whores who love console-exclusives. Those people are few and far between.
So what new does the XO bring to the table that's worth buying it for several hundred dollars? Don't tell me it's the multimedia capabilities. Without a true generational jump, there's no reason to jump to a new generation at all. MS screwed up here, big time.

And yet it's even more true here. There's a difference between what can be theoretically pushed vs. what can be reasonably pushed but still remaining cutting edge. What we have here is neither, while PS4 is arguably the latter (just barely).

Powerful use of deduction there.

Fanboys, tsk.

RetroStu

Banned
Games will look amazing, there are still many games from this gen that blow me away and Xbox One is multiple times better in power so i'm not worried to be honest.

esai

If it meant 60fps I'd be okay with that. But it won't. Looks like I won't be buying any consoles for a while.

GC|Simon

EDIT: Another interesting tidbit:

"(Microsoft wouldn't give us specifics other than to say, "The system is designed for an SoC up to about 100W, but will vary on the scenario.")" - out of the article to the video from above.

For comparison's sake: this is slightly above the power draw of the current Xbox 360 Slim and PS3 Slim (source).

Updated the OP with the info above...

E-Cat

Ó Buachalla;58349830 said:
Powerful use of deduction there.

Fanboys, tsk.
Powerful argument there. "Purposely" implies they had a choice. And the choice they made was to swap horsepower for Kinect. It's that simple.

Top Bottom