• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comprehensive List of Wind Waker HD Changes

npa189

The game is just... Stunning. I downloaded it yesterday and I am not disappointed, it's awl at been my favorite Zelda by far and they did such a great job. Beautiful 1080p, awesome 5.1 mix. Bravo Nintendo. They really brought justice to this classic.

Nyoro SF

I can't believe I forgot this change, BUT... the Hero's Charm is now claimed at the end of the Savage Labyrinth, rather than the Piece of Heart that was there before.

Makes it worth charging down those extra levels. :)

Can download/submit Pictographs over Miiverse, getting the tough/missable ones MUCH easier. Also, you get to keep your photos if you send them via Tingle Bottle/Miiverse.
How do you download pictographs to your Pictobox on Miiverse? I thought you could save a pictograph if they showed up in a Tingle Bottle?

Nyoro SF

Was playing today and noticed another change. Treasure Charts 42-45 are new to the game. Probably just lead to the typical stuff.

Also someone brought to my attention that Magic Armor now absorbs ruppees rather than magic, like in Twilight Princess. Smart move, as you build up a metric shit ton of money after the Triforce Quest is over.

Meesh

You know... you're right! That's actually a big mistake for a game which, in my opinion, has the best sound direction of all the Zeldas.
I promise it won't happen again, lol. I know it might come across as being nitpicky, it's just funny the things you really miss about certain games when they're not present anymore. Even if it is only slogging about in the rain.

Zolbrod

UI & Animations & Misc.
  • Pulling items from the sea floor is about 4x faster.
  • Grappling cutscene is faster.
  • Text speed is much faster.
  • Wind Waker songs will no longer repeat themselves after being conducted once.
  • Wind Waker's beat only starts when you conduct the first note, as opposed to being constant.
  • Wind direction change option has been moved to the bottom right, as opposed to being a full screen overlay.

These are good.

Wind direction change option no longer auto-points based on the direction of the thumbstick, but has to be pushed left and right manually like a clock.

This one annoys me to no end. Just pointing the stick in the direction you want the wind to blow in is so much smoother and more sensible than rotating like a clock.
Still, with the new sail it's a moot point anyway.

• Wind Waker has been moved to a permanent position on the Gamepad's D-Pad; no need to go into the menu to equip at any time.
  • Grappling and cannon options while sailing are permanently on the D-Pad. No need to equip while sailing.

I've been playing the game for 12 hours now and I never knew about the second one. Does the game ever tell you what the D-pad does?
Because if it does it never mentions it anywhere else again.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Did they arrange the intro/menu music? It's one of my fav Zelda track and it sounds so good.

I've been playing the game for 12 hours now and I never knew about the second one. Does the game ever tell you what the D-pad does?
It's displayed on the HUD below your health meter while sailing.

KHlover

Banned
These are good.

You should look at your HUD more often. While sailing you'll see these options directly below your health/magic meter.

Nyoro SF

This one annoys me to no end. Just pointing the stick in the direction you want the wind to blow in is so much smoother and more sensible than rotating like a clock.
Still, with the new sail it's a moot point anyway.

I know! It's still really annoying, that and the block change are the only real negative changes to me.

Also discovered Treasure Chart 46 is in the game. Apparently 5 new treasure charts were added to take the place of the Triforce Charts. They don't lead to anything special, however.

The 10 minutes added to the expiration of Forest Water (for a total of 30 minutes) was an unnecessary change if you've noted where all the trees are. You can finish that quest in under 10 minutes thanks to the Swift Sail now. But whatever, adding 10 doesn't really change anything, heh.

Another change I haven't seen anyone mention anywhere:

From the start of the game you can carry more than 200 rupees. In the original game you maxed out at 200 which was extremely annoying and resulted in a lot of wasted rupees if you opened certain chests and got 100 or something.

I've seen up to 402, I'm going to assume the starting wallet is 500, next is still 1000, and last is still 5000. But that's just a guess.

This is probably so that you don't have to find any upgrades in order to pay Tingle's map translation fee of 398 rupees.

Also discovered Treasure Chart 46 is in the game. Apparently 5 new treasure charts were added to take the place of the Triforce Charts. They don't lead to anything special, however.

Wait, how does this happen? I thought the way it worked was that some of the chests that formerly gave charts now directly give triforce pieces. Do you get a triforce piece as well as a chart from the same chest...?

Nyoro SF

Another change I haven't seen anyone mention anywhere:

From the start of the game you can carry more than 200 rupees. In the original game you maxed out at 200 which was extremely annoying and resulted in a lot of wasted rupees if you opened certain chests and got 100 or something.

I've seen up to 402, I'm going to assume the starting wallet is 500, next is still 1000, and last is still 5000. But that's just a guess.

This is probably so that you don't have to find any upgrades in order to pay Tingle's map translation fee of 398 rupees.

Wait, how does this happen? I thought the way it worked was that some of the chests that formerly gave charts now directly give triforce pieces. Do you get a triforce piece as well as a chart from the same chest...?

DAMN! I can't believe I missed that change! Yes, you do start with a 500-limit wallet.

Also there's something else I have to verify; I don't remember there being a sign notice next to the boulder that blocks the way to the Great Fairy that gives you a wallet upgrade. I'll have to find some LPs or boot up my GC copy to check once I'm home.

As for the new charts, they're Treasure Charts that point to where the old Triforce parts used to be, but those chests just contain ordinary items now.

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in a while to justify passing on a game of this calibur.

Are people really this lazy nowadays?

Maybe he just likes inferior controls and less accuracy?

Dude is dedicated against it, but whatever, lol. Doesn't bother me what other people prefer for control.

I can't say that I was much of a fan of wind waker after playing through it on the gamecube. The game was an absolute chore to finish and, despite the pleasing graphics, I really didn't care for most of the enemies in the game or the side-quests. I decided to give the HD remake a go with the mario kart 8 promotion and just finished the other day.

Nintendo definitely went a long way to fix some of the game's previous issues. It really felt like an entirely different game, to the point I was actually enjoying myself midway through it. The speed sail and all of the streamlined mechanics/sped up animations were welcome changes. And while I prefer the OoT/TP art style, wind waker had that Dragon's Lair arcade game immersive feel. Dragon's Lair back in the day really captured my imagination:
dragons-lair_l.jpg
205.jpg
dl-dragon.jpg
mq1.jpg

Sorry for the picture spam, but the art direction in wind waker is the closest I've come to recapturing that Dragon's Lair feeling again.
wind-waker-HD-4.jpg

However, then I got to the end of wind waker and remembered partially why i had such disdain for it... It had been so long since last playing it that I had forgotten most of the game from the wind temple onward. I was utterly disappointed to find that the ghost ship, which should have been another dungeon, was just a small cycle of enemies to be defeated. Would have made such a lasting impression. Instead, it was rather anti-climactic getting the last tri-force piece - I put it off till the end. Then was the final temple which rehashed the previous bosses and eventually made you go through a convoluted maze of fights to get to ganandorf. It just felt so repetitious and a really lazy way to finish that section. The final fight was entertaining enough, but the end of wind waker was such a downer and the end of a game is what can make a really lasting impression. The ending of the game was such a pooper compared to the first 2/3rd. I was actually getting absorbed into the game this time around and enjoying the flow of things when it just crashed down with a really bland finale. Ugh..

Still, I'm glad i replayed it again. Unfortunately, as much as I disliked majora's mask overall, the ending of wind waker may have put the game on the same level. So, there is little change in my top zelda rankings with Ocarina of Time > Twilight Princess > The Legend of Zelda > everything else. That's not to say I hate the game, but that the ending really really rubbed me the wrong way. It's like seeing a really good movie utlimately ruined by its ending.

WillyFive

Interesting, because I consider Wind Waker to have the best ending of all the games. No other Zelda ending made me feel so good about the Zelda series and it going forward.

However, WWHD didn't feel much different at all from the original to me. The removal of the a Tingle Tuner with a Miiverse bottle was also disappointing. The game still has the best story, characters, and combat of the series though, along with wonderful music and unmatched visuals.

Top Bottom