• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Life is Strange

I got this game for free from PS Plus last month, but never tried it out until earlier this week. I had heard of the game before, but never knew much about it. Well, from Episode 1 I was hooked. This game was so good! The characters were top-notch, the voice acting was stellar, and the story was phenomenal. I didn't expect this game to pack such an emotional punch, but good lord. Some scenes in the game had me forming a lump in my throat. I'm really glad I decided to check this game out, and I can't wait for Before the Storm and Season 2!

ENDING SPOILERS

I chose to sacrifice Chloe, much to my dismay. It just felt like the right thing to do, especially since she said herself that it was probably for the best. Saving the lives of everyone in the town versus just hers seemed like the morally right thing, even though I reallly wanted to save Chloe. That was a brutal ending though, and probably the most emotional moment in the game besides the Rachel and William scenes.

Also, Warren is a total boss, and he deserves to be with Max :p

So yea, if you have this game sitting in your library, I highly recommend you check it out. For those who don't, the first episode is free on all platforms, so you should definitely give it a download and check it out as well. If you're anything like me, you will be hooked right when the title screen appears in the Blackwell hallway :)

Wamb0wneD

I told a friend some life stories of mine today and he told me I'm like a
"Life is Strange" character lol. Maybe i should try it out.

The most important thing I must know though:
did you save Kate
?

I did, but my god was that a stressful scene. I'm sooo glad I managed to save her because Kate is just awesome, and not having her around would have really put a damper on things.

x2 to what primo said, the soundtrack is really good in this game. I don't usually listen to that indie folk style of music, but now I'm interested in it.

Also, Warren is a total boss, and he deserves to be with Max :p

BxtoTZN_d.jpg

game-boi

As much as this game is about choices and despite how much I love the characters, how the devs handled the final choice was really bad imo.
I'm glad that the OP got the right ending, but man... the other ending is so terrible to the point where sacrificing Chloe should have been crit pathed. It's painfully clear the writers/designers didn't consider it a real ending since it's much shorter, provides extremely little closure, and just leaves the player feeling like the story was unfinished. I get that it's only there so the player has to consciously choose to let Chloe go and press the button themselves, but yeah... hella bad.

Overall I enjoyed the My So-Called Life high school drama but could have done without the moments where it artificially felt like LiS needed to prove to me that it is still a game (example:
the adventure gamey puzzle in the first episode to get inside the dorm or the sequence in a later episode where we have to prove we can rewind time to another character
). The first episode was fantastic, but I found the series quality slowly fell towards the second half of the season and really disliked the final episode. I still remember one dialog choice where the protagonist's only options are two extremely similar options:
"Eat shit and die" or "Fuck you."
At least Telltale allows me to be silent when I'm not feeling a particular choice. Even considering that, I'm still SUPER excited for the follow-up prequel/miniseries. That cannot come soon enough.

Dryk

As much as this game is about choices and despite how much I love the characters, how the devs handled the final choice was really bad imo.
I'm glad that the OP got the right ending, but man... the other ending is so terrible to the point where sacrificing Chloe should have been crit pathed. It's painfully clear the writers/designers didn't consider it a real ending since it's much shorter, provides extremely little closure, and just leaves the player feeling like the story was unfinished. I get that it's only there so the player has to consciously choose to let Chloe go and press the button themselves, but yeah... hella bad.
I've always been convinced this is the case.
If you choose that ending, despite the game screaming at you that it's the natural conclusion to the entire arc of Episode 5, you chose wrong. The game then proceeds to noticeably judge you for it. "OH. You don't want to natural and satisfying conclusion? I can work with that, I'll give the the LEAST satisfying and natural conclusion. (I love it)

Z..

Does the game drastically improve after episode 1? Because I was cringing all the way though it...

Or is it supposed to be "ridiculous" on purpose like Until Dawn with it's typical horror movie obnoxious teens? Because every character was giving me second hand embarrassment... The whole thing is so damn boring, too (and I love Tarr and Ceylan so that's saying something)!

TMWNN35

I liked it a lot but I felt it ran out of steam towards the end. I didn't pick the villain though, that was a cool moment.

I though the biggest missed opportunity was that the sequence with Chloe's dad could only play out one way. To me that could have been a more significant and natural feeling choice point than what happens at the end of the game.

I'm eagerly awaiting a chance to replay this, want to do an opposite playthrough and be a bitch this time round. Not sure if I want to do a replay before or after finishing the prequel. I bet there will be a lot of easter eggs in the prequel.. hmmm

Reset

I thought Warren was cool, I mean he beat the shit out of Nathan. But now looking at the locker room video.... it seems like I made a mistake.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I'm eagerly awaiting a chance to replay this, want to do an opposite playthrough and be a bitch this time round. Not sure if I want to do a replay before or after finishing the prequel. I bet there will be a lot of easter eggs in the prequel.. hmmm

Prequel? Same cast, VO,. ect?

The game pretty much introduced me to my favorite music genre (Indie Folk) so I will always be grateful.

Such a crazy, unique, fun, sad, happy, depressing experience. Don't know if I could ever play through it again (and I mean that in a good way).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I
sacrificed the town, not for Chloe though but rather so I get to keep the powers.
You don't lose the powers. You had the powers before the point you went back to, and you return to the present with your powers anyway.
I sacrificed the town. I'm not a fan of "nothing actually happened" stories. Otherwise it makes no difference if you saved Kate and or the other stuff. So, I chose the option where stuff happened.

Hmmm, might be interesting, though max is definitely my favorite character by far.

Completely agreed. When playing the season at release, I really thought
Rachel had the same power as Max, especially reading a lot of the theories popping up in the spoiler thread at the time, I for one was disappointed.

They have a bonus episode coming out where you can play as a young Max, locked behind the deluxe edition, reasoning being that it's almost a full episode on its own and separate from the Chloe story.

Dryk

Warren is such a massive Nice Guy, and Max very explicitly says she doesn't have feelings for him in her inner monologue. Honestly.

Grisby

Rachel had the same power as Max, especially reading a lot of the theories popping up in the spoiler thread at the time, I for one was disappointed.
I was disappointed too that there was no
time stuff with Rachel
. Also, the ending left me sour because the
NUKE ARCADIA BAY choice got no love in the ending department (believe the devs themselves said it was rushed)
and instead felt like the
first ending was the one you had to choose.
Kind of went against the choice nature of the game much like TT games often do.

I'm curious to see what the devs originally had in store for Nathan.

I've been told that during the trailer for episode 4, he mentions that he knows the tornado is coming. But then in the actual game that plot point is never brought up. I thought they were gonna reveal that the Prescotts knew about the tornado the whole time, since they had the 'Stormbreaker' bunker, and Sean Prescott kept talking about 'cleansing' the town. But the Prescott plot pretty much got dropped by episode 5. I watched the Kinda Funny interview with one of the lead devs, and he said they originally had more story for Nathan, but dropped it due to them not being able to make it high quality or somehting like that.

Great game, but the ending is trash tier garbage. It's hard not to be soured on the experience when the final sequence of events feels so shoddily put together.

Also, the sacrifice town choice should not even exist. I don't care what kind of character you roleplayed Max, it is completely unrealistic for her to kill off all her friends and family just to be with Chloe.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member

They have a bonus episode coming out where you can play as a young Max, locked behind the deluxe edition, reasoning being that it's almost a full episode on its own and separate from the Chloe story.

That could be cool, though makes me wish more the whole thing was based around max. I think the least interesting part of the game to me was chloe's rebellious degeneracy, which considering that time period was at the height of that, eh, not sure I wanna be in for that.

I totally get their angle though. Rachael is going to be the play it straight character, but unlike max she's going to fall into that type of behavior slowly. They get to tell that version of the story.

You guys losing it over that pic are so dumb. Dorky teenager waits outside in the morning to ask his crush out on a date. Whoa so creepy. Y'all acting liking he's a peeping tom or some shit.

You guys losing it over that pic are so dumb. Dorky teenager waits outside in the morning to ask his crush out on a date. Whoa so creepy. Y'all acting liking he's a peeping tom or some shit.
I gotta agree with you.

Ep 5 spoilers:

The conversation you have with him in the diner right before the paradox stuff happens really shows his true colors. He is a genuinely good guy who may say and do some dumb stuff every once in awhile, but what high schooler doesn't?

Reset

Edit: whoops I'm dumb lol
Now that I paid more attention to the video, Warren is all right again in my book lol

Top Bottom