• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So this is how Nintendo expects us to use headsets and voice chat on Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, wait, wait.

This is only for listening to the game and the voice chat at the same time.
Makes 'sense', since the game audio comes over through the Switch and the voice chat comes through your cellphone.

I'm sure there will be a wireless solution pretty fast. 3rd Party or Bluetooth..

I don't play online much on consoles - how do PS4/X1 handle this? headset and mike in the controller and the game audio through that too, or do you play with audio through your TV?

Edit: I don't really get, why they just don't slit the cable and splice the whole solution somehow with a lot smaller, more subtle 'thingy' in the middle of all that. This looks somewhat bulky.
We know. It does not make sense as every other console that has ever had voice chat did not need this bullshit. There will be no wireless as there is no wireless on the switch. Bluetooth headphones don't work.

PS4 / XB1 all sound can come through from the one output.

Before anyone gets too angry about this:

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Ultimately it's customers fault for being assholes online, don't blame Nintendo
Hahahahahaahahahaha

jts

...hate me...
Oh wow, the controller's cables are only 0.5 m long. Good luck playing when docked.

d6a0t9J.jpg

Would need a second cable for both use cases regardless. If they shipped with a 10ft cable for docked it wouldn't be nice to use in portable mode.

J@hranimo

Banned
The mere existence of the mobile app bugged me, and this was one of the reasons I knew had to have some "solution" for it.

Nintendo needs to get this news out ASAP, smooth it over, and go into E3 talking about games and such. Just get it over with.

Armaly

Who sits 30 feet from their tv? Still, even being docked at 8 feet away would mean annoying wires stretched all over the place. I'm not a big voice chat person, but not having a solid option for people who want it is frustrating.

Nope. Hdmi switch to monitor on the opposite side of the room.

Would need a second cable for both use cases regardless. If they shipped with a 10ft cable for docked it wouldn't be nice to use in portable mode.

They should allow you to use the switch's speakers while docked.

duckroll

While I don't defend the phone app being used for voice chat, there are bluetooth head sets I can use on my phone if I have to do it that way.

Not sure why HORI didn't make these BT for the phone and wired to the Switch.

Because it would make the headset cost even more, require batteries on the adapter, and still not have the benefit of being wireless like BT is supposed to be? That seems like a really bad suggestion. This is the most elegant and cost effective solution for consumers.

While I don't defend the phone app being used for voice chat, there are bluetooth head sets I can use on my phone if I have to do it that way.

Not sure why HORI didn't make these BT for the phone and wired to the Switch.

But then you could just use any other app like discord or a standard phone call to do your voice chat. With a setup like this there is no advantage if you use the Nintendo App. Might as well stay on discord and talk to your non Nintendo friends too. And by using bluetooth headphones you'd have to play game audio through the speakers.

EVH

Nintendo is a family oriented company, and the last time they allowed a direct communication tool in their systems -Swapnote- paedophiles started sending dick to kids.

They want to not be responsible for any bad behavior from the users, and since they don't want for their service to turn into an endless screaming, swearing, racist galore, they count on YOUR smartphone.

Well there it is. The delusion of Nintendo fans.

killatopak

Gold Member
WHAT THE FUCK.

Oh hey look at all the expensive peripherals we have. I know what to do! More expensive peripherals.

tkscz

You don't seem to get what people are upset about. The HORI headset is a solid product to address Nintendos shitty implementation.

Nintendo has been vague about exactly how the mobile app would work with regards to in game sound, and there were plenty of hopefuls. The existence of the HORI product is the first proof we have of how poorly Nintendo has tackled voice chat.

Except only you and a few other people have said that. Most people are saying Nintendo made the headphones. I don't defend the head phones, but HORI has BT products. If I have to voice chat over the phone (I'll probably be chatting over PC) then why not make them BT for the phone and have a wire to the Switch? At least make them easier to work with.

But then you could just use any other app like discord or a standard phone call to do your voice chat. With a setup like this there is no advantage if you use the Nintendo App. Might as well stay on discord and talk to your non Nintendo friends too. And by using bluetooth headphones you'd have to play game audio through the speakers.

I mean, I actually didn't plan to use the Nintendo app and was planning to continue using Steam or Xfire. And I said have a wire that still plugs into the Switch. Yes it would be expensive, but more convenient.

Vuze

I laughed so hard when I just saw this on twitter. Everybody pushing for wireless data, audio, charging etc and then we got something like this.
But I mean, enjoy your headphone jack folks. You get to use three in one sitting!

E: I just thought about people who want to do voice chat when playing on their TVs. omg

Machina

Banned
Absolutely ridiculous. It's almost as if they're willing voice chat as a thing to just die so they don't have to deal with it anymore. Lazy, shortsighted, insular garbage, Nintendo.

Guardians

Banned
Stop with this bs. Kids have been receiving dicks through other media/console why should Nintendo care?

They're just incompetent in incorporating a function as basic as voice chat in their console.

BS? Really? If Nintendo wants to protect their customers or especially kids of receiving dicks than it's their right to try it!

Spades

Yes, I'm going to defend Nintendo on something they didn't make.

They made a console where you cannot plug a headset directly into it without the need for a third party app running on a fucking phone.

There is a reason this third party headset has to work this way - because Nintendo designed voice chat to work this way.

Protome

Does it only work with the Nintendo app? Would be cool if it worked for PS4 too.

It's just taking two audio sources and outputting them as one, you could plug it into pretty much anything. It's a neat solution to a problem that has no reason to exist.

I find it hilarious how people happily played with voice chat on Xbox 360 games for years with the headset only outputting chat audio.

Now it's happening on a Nintendo system (albeit through a phone) and people are losing their minds.

Once again, this adaptor is a third-party accessory for those on the move who want both chat and in-game audio (presumably without annoying people nearby).

If you're playing at home you use the phone app for voice chat in the headset, and just use the normal TV audio for the game. It's just like we did for nearly a decade on Xbox 360, except you're plugging into a phone instead of a controller.

It's not ideal but I think there's a lot of over-reaction going on here. Some people are acting as if Aonuma just kicked their baby square in the face.

Shifty

Fuck me.

I feel like they might possibly, maybe just maybe, have overthought this. Doesn't the DS4 allow for two-way audio via the controller's headset jack?

So what's the point of using the Nintendo App instead of Skype or any number of other options?

The sheer unbridled convenience of being able to connect with your buddies using Friend Codes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
A group of people got together and thought this was a good idea.

What in the absolute fuck.

Jumeira

Banned

This is vomit inducing, such a regressive expectation that allows Nintendo to pull this kind of stuff

Akainu

Wow this is completely stupid no one could defen...

KrawlMan

use your fucking tv speakers if its 10 feet away because its clearly a fucking tv at that range??

Quite a few close friends use headphones when gaming on their TV. For some it's sound quality and immersion, others it's so they can avoid bothering housemates / roommates.

Atheerios

I find it hilarious how people happily played with voice chat on Xbox 360 games for years with the headset only outputting chat audio.

Now it's happening on a Nintendo system (albeit through a phone) and people are losing their minds.

Once again, this adaptor is a third-party accessory for those on the move who want both chat and in-game audio (presumably without annoying people nearby).

If you're playing at home you use the phone app for voice chat in the headset, and just use the normal TV audio for the game. It's just like we did for nearly a decade on Xbox 360, except you're plugging into a phone instead of a controller.

It's not ideal but I think there's a lot of over-reaction going on here. Some people are acting as if Aonuma just kicked their baby square in the face.

The thing is... We are not in 2006 anymore.

Zyrox

Nintendo never ceases to surprise - both positively and negatively. Who'da thunk before the Switch was revealed that their solution for something as simple as voice chat would be...well, this. This wasn't even on my "what could go wrong with the NX" list, yet here we are.

Nightfall

Oh wow, the controller's cables are only 0.5 m long. Good luck playing when docked.

d6a0t9J.jpg

With such a short cable, where do I put my phone? Stick it to the back of the Switch? It doesn't look long enough to but it in your pocket or wherever (Depending on how you're holding/using the Switch)

KrawlMan

This is vomit inducing, such a regressive expectation that allows Nintendo to pull this kind of stuff

It's one response. In general I'm pretty proud of this thread (assuming at least some people here are Nintendo fans). The blind forgiveness is at a minimum

Protome

It's almost like the 360's original headset was the reason headsets that let you mix game and chat audio became popular or something. Weird.

erawsd

It's honestly quite a novel solution to dealing with two simultaneous audio feeds outputting from two seperate devices.
People thought you'd have to wear two headsets at the same time :lol

This is pretty much the setup folks used 15 years ago when many PS2 games didnt have voice chat so you had use Ventrillo on a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom