• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Zafir

Kawakami's is the most unique of the ones you can do

But yes watching the other dates on youtube I was disappointed how haru/makoto/ann all basically play out the same only with the latter two throwing in marriage lines since you're dating them.

On another note Sojiro just asked me not to date his daugter

Eh heh heh heh
Kawakami's is really short, though.

Plus I really don't care for that relationship at all, and I'm just doing it because I wanted to see absolutely everything....

Sayers

I honestly feel like the Ryuji scene is the best festival scene. It's at least funny. The rest are all just copy-pasted. =/
How do you get different scenes? The only option I got was for Haru. I don't even know why, I hadn't even s-linked with her yet.

Zafir

How do you get different scenes? The only option I got was for Haru. I don't even know why, I hadn't even s-linked with her yet.

I think Haru's is the default one which doesn't have any requirements. Just like Ryuji is the default option for Hawaii.

I think they all require their social link rank to be pretty high. On my first playthrough I only had Haru and Makoto. Second playthrough I had most confidants at max by the festival, bar a few of the later unlocks. Plus I'd romanced everyone, so I got all the options. The options being
Ryuji, Makoto, Ann, Haru, and Kawakami

Sayers

I think Haru's is the default one which doesn't have any requirements. Just like Ryuji is the default option for Hawaii.

I think they all require their social link rank to be pretty high. On my first playthrough I only had Haru and Makoto. Second playthrough I had most confidants at max by the festival, bar a few of the later unlocks. Plus I'd romanced everyone, so I got all the options. The options being
Ryuji, Makoto, Ann, Haru, and Kawakami
Well I know for a fact that I had
Kawakami
at max rank by that point. God damn it, I don't even like Haru.

Zafir

Persona 3 at the very least started a romance fairly early on, around rank 5 or 6. At that point you could get a reversal for hanging around with another girl. From what I remember of 3, girls didn't have a platonic path though...

Persona 4 I thought it was generally in the 7->8 rank up where the option came up, which is still a rank up earlier than 5. I'm not sure if golden changed that.

Well I know for a fact that I had
Kawakami
at max rank by that point. God damn it, I don't even like Haru.

Considering how the scene plays out, it seems you needed to romance her. Thinking back, I also had
Kawakami
at max rank on my first playthrough by that point, but also didn't get the option.

I think
Makoto and Ann's
require you to be on the romance path too.

TrueBlue

Mid-September spoilers:

What on earth is going on here? Everyone is being a massive dick, particularly Morgana and Ryuji. The quality in writing seems removed from what came before, especially considering the quality of Futaba's arc.

This whole thing just feels more contrived than anything else. At least Haru is amusing - her introduction especially - but man.

Factor in the filler school trip and this has easily been the worse segment of the game so far.

KraytarJ

Got to rank 9 with Tae and Haru. Tae took the rejection in stride and as cool as you'd expect. Holy god am I sorry Haru, pretty much every other girl I've friend zoned eventually took it well and smiled but Haru was just devastated. Maybe hurt even more than rejecting Futaba honestly.

Mid-September spoilers:

What on earth is going on here? Everyone is being a massive dick, particularly Morgana and Ryuji. The quality in writing seems removed from what came before, especially considering the quality if Futaba's arc.

This whole thing just feels more contrived than anything else. At least Haru is amusing - her introduction especially - but man.

Factor in the filler school trip and this has easily been the worse segment of the game so far.

Its the weakest part of the game for sure. Some people think that there was another planned dungeon that was suppose to happen around that point of the game (we know hifumi was designed to be playable) considering how much time the player loses to padding scenes.

Got to rank 9 with Tae and Haru. Tae took the rejection in stride and as cool as you'd expect. Holy god am I sorry Haru, pretty much every other girl I've friend zoned eventually took it well and smiled but Haru was just devastated. Maybe hurt even more than rejecting Futaba honestly.

I dated Haru for NG+. She was nice, but didn't have much going for her.

Honestly, Haru's Confidant reminded me a lot of how Yukiko's S.Link was in 4. It has, IMO, probably the most "organic" transition where she actually show signs of crushing on the Protag before the rank where she actually confesses. That and I found the two the easiest to "headcanon" what their relationship would be like after the game (P4 Protag working as a Chef at Yukiko's inn, and P5 Protag running a Cafe together with Haru.) Turning her down is also just as gut wrenching. When you turn Yukiko down she actually runs away with tears in her eyes.

kewlmyc

Ann doesn't even feel like a romantic option. I just got to her scene, and it doesn't feel romantic or leading up to romantic at all.
You can tell her "you have me" or "you have all your other new friends" when she mentions she's all alone. "You have me" doesn't even feel romantic.
Both options feel like things a friend would say to a depressed friend. Not romantic at all.

Okay - I've gotten Makoto, Haru, and Takemi all to Rank 8, and seen their confession scenes (Rank 9) with a test file. I've also seen their Rank 10 conversations.

I still can't decide who I should romance though.

• In Makoto's case, I have loved both her and her original Persona's designs since the beginning, but I was greatly let down by her Social Link. (
    Too much worrying about Eiko, no real pressing character development, IMO.
    )
  • In Haru's case, I preferred her Social Link to Makoto's, as the
    marriage/company stories added pressure for her to grow, making the payoff feel a bit more earned.
  • In Takemi's case, I love her designs as much as Makoto's, and her Social Link was arguably my favorite of the three.
    Her emotions surrounding her reputation and reactions to the reveals later on felt satisfying throughout. Also, that kiss & her dialogue during the Rank 10 scene are both stuck in my mind.
Which should I romance? Do I miss anything by choosing a Confidant over a Party Member?

Does anyone else feel like crap when turning down Haru during her Rank 9 scene?

Please do not divulge any spoilers past 11/25!

Mariip

Yusuke's social link is beautiful and reminded me why i decided to be a game designer/artist in the first place, i finished that about an hour ago and the tears are still falling from my eyes.

Dammit atlus, why can't i even hug this little bastard and take him home with meeeeee

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Okay - I've gotten Makoto, Haru, and Takemi all to Rank 8, and seen their confession scenes (Rank 9) with a test file. I've also seen their Rank 10 conversations.

I still can't decide who I should romance though.

• In Makoto's case, I have loved both her and her original Persona's designs since the beginning, but I was greatly let down by her Social Link. (
    Too much worrying about Eiko, no real pressing character development, IMO.
    )
  • In Haru's case, I preferred her Social Link to Makoto's, as the
    marriage/company stories added pressure for her to grow, making the payoff feel a bit more earned.
  • In Takemi's case, I love her designs as much as Makoto's, and her Social Link was arguably my favorite of the three.
    Her emotions surrounding her reputation and reactions to the reveals later on felt satisfying throughout. Also, that kiss & her dialogue during the Rank 10 scene are both stuck in my mind.
Which should I romance? Do I miss anything by choosing a Confidant over a Party Member?

Does anyone else feel like crap when turning down Haru during her Rank 9 scene?

Please do not divulge any spoilers past 11/25!

Go with Haru. God knows there are already more than a million people lining up for both Makoto and Takemi anyways lol.

Go with Haru. God knows there are already more than a million people lining up for both Makoto and Takemi anyways lol.

I mean... I can see why.

Legit question though, is there any content I'd miss out on (dialogue/scene/etc) by choosing a Confidant (Takemi) over a Party Member?

Please answer with as few spoilers as possible. (I'm at 11/25)

LotusHD

Banned
Both her and Futaba
seem to develop feelings for the protagonist
first - whereas Makoto, Takemi & others
get confessed to & accept

Sounds about right.

---

Completed both Sojiro and Futaba's S-Links today.
How the fuck y'all decide to date Futaba, I'll never know lol, because again,
the game does everything in its power to make you feel like you should stay far away lmao

Sounds about right.

---

the game does everything in its power to make you feel like you should stay far away lmao

That's exactly why she should be your first option to date :p

Shadic7700

I just started my first relationship in p5
Futaba is best waifu bar none she's too cute!
easily my fav girl everyone else's seems too generic and bland

RalchAC

Ann doesn't even feel like a romantic option. I just got to her scene, and it doesn't feel romantic or leading up to romantic at all.
You can tell her "you have me" or "you have all your other new friends" when she mentions she's all alone. "You have me" doesn't even feel romantic.
Both options feel like things a friend would say to a depressed friend. Not romantic at all.

Thanks. You just posted my feeling towards her Confidant. That dialogue line feels like something you'd say to a friend that's feeling down. My biggest problem with most "romance triggers" in the game, is that they make you feel like crap for no reason at all.

Tae's is certainly awful too. Your options are
I wanted to see you / I wanted the medicine. Is the game telling me I can't I tell somebody that I worry about them and I like the time we spent together without any romantic implications?

Ann felt much more like a friend than a partner to me. I would love to see her and Ryuji become a couple.

TBH, I've romanced Makoto, but I'd like to have a playthrough where I romance other characters. Futaba is one of my favorite characters, but I feel
her Confidant is written to appeal to a certain niche that I don't want to be part of. Dunno, she acts as a rather mature person at times, she is really funny and entertaining, but there are some moments where she felt too childish
. As you've said, I think Haru is the ideal choice. I really like the idea about
working at Leblanc's together and eventually inheriting the Café. I was hesitant about romancing Futaba because I'd like the MC to keep close ties with the Sakura family, but now I feel Haru is the best outcome overall.

Plus, I love coffee.

Zafir

It's weird because, you can probably argue that throughout the main story - ignoring the social link scenes. Ann and Makoto are arguably the two who show the most concern for the MC through various ordeals.

RalchAC

It's weird because, you can probably argue that throughout the main story - ignoring the social link scenes. Ann and Makoto are arguably the two who show the most concern for the MC through various ordeals.

Makoto's Confidant
is super lame compared to how good the writting up to the point where she joins your party was. Most of it is about her helping other girl with her own character development being an after thought.

You don't really feel that you are getting to know her a little better every rank, as opposed to other characters. Maybe most of her character arc was already handled during story scenes and they were driven into a corner for the Confidant stuff.

Zafir

Makoto's Confidant
is super lame compared to how good the writting up to the point where she joins your party was. Most of it is about her helping other girl with her own character development being an after thought.

You don't really feel that you are getting to know her a little better every rank, as opposed to other characters. Maybe most of her character arc was already handled during story scenes and they were driven into a corner for the Confidant stuff.

I dunno I still liked it, I won't deny it could have been better though.
I mean you are still helping her through the Eiko stuff, in helping her with Eiko you're helping Makoto realise what she actually wants to do with her life. It's kind of a continuation of the main story scenes with Sae in which she questions what she's doing with her life.

Dantis

I ended up liking the cast as a whole a lot more than I had expected. They lack a lot of the charm and niceness of the P4 cast, but I like how grounded they all are.

Haru ended up being my favourite character, which I don't think anyone could have predicted.

DNAbro

I ended up liking the cast as a whole a lot more than I had expected. They lack a lot of the charm and niceness of the P4 cast, but I like how grounded they all are.

Haru ended up being my favourite character, which I don't think anyone could have predicted.

I really need to do her confidant because she is dull as hell in the main story.

vypek

So maxing out confidants lets you make a special persona of that arcana, right? What happens if I go to NG+ without doing that? I have to do that confidant story again?

I really need to do her confidant because she is dull as hell in the main story.

Haru and all of palace 5 was a rushed, underdeveloped mess story wise. It's at least merciful that Haru's slink is one of the best in the game.

Sciel

So did anyone romance Ichiko (the Devil confidant)? She's basically just awful.
Ignored Devil entirely in my first playthrough (those perks were horrible). She joined my harem during NG+ though.

Was her confidant storyline that bad for you? I thought it was pretty good.

wamberz1

I waited it out for Haru. Wanted to see all the girls before making my decision. Hifumi tempted me (she was way more cute than I was expecting) but I held out.

Glad I did. #teamHaru

Aki-at

End up going with Makoto out of all the girls, was thinking about maid and doc but decided to go with the one could beat me to a pulp if she wanted.

Sounds about right.

---

Makes it even more hilarious if you decide to cheat on her. Endgame spoilers.

Sojiro doesn't care you're cheating his daughter on Valentine's Day, he'll cover for you and give you a chocolate. Guess he really badly wants you to become his son in law.

It's a shame that Yukiko's inn failed so badly that she had to change her name, take up drinking, and become a vice reporter.

Ah I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought that haha.

Zafir

Yeah I ignored Devil on my first playthrough and then did the romance as part of my "I must see everything" play through.

I don't particularly like her much as a character, but the story of the social link was pretty good.
Especially since it ties into the main story.

Yeah I ignored Devil on my first playthrough and then did the romance as part of my "I must see everything" play through.

I don't particularly like her much as a character, but the story of the social link was pretty good.
Especially since it ties into the main story.

It does lead to some story dissonance if you're doing her slink between
palace 5 and 6 when your popularity is tanking

Zafir

It does lead to some story dissonance if you're doing her slink between
palace 5 and 6 when your popularity is tanking

Hah, that's probably true. I had her maxed by that point.

I think that's a big problem in general with the games structure though. How the social links don't change enough dialogue in the main story or vice versa.

Hah, that's probably true. I had her maxed by that point.

I think that's a big problem in general with the games structure though. How the social links don't change enough dialogue in the main story or vice versa.

Its a bigger issue in p5 because every confidant has ties into the phantom thieve story line at one point or another because every slink needs to give a meaningful boost to the gameplay. The ultimate irony is that by making the slinks more tied to meaningful gameplay improvements it made the fact they're disconnected from the main narrative a much bigger issue then past games.

MSMrRound

I like her but her confidant rewards are by far the worst so she was ignored most of the game.

True, but at least she gives +3 charm so it's at least worth visiting her instead of the bathhouse if I wanna spend my evening. That's like the only perk that she had going for me when it comes to benefits

Top Bottom