• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

So I really wanted to play this again and I am glad I did. I was so overwhelmed at how good it is and it improves on an already great game. The XB1 version was delayed so I ended up buying a PS4 to play this. 😂

You bought a PS4 to play Wonder Boy? Talk about committed.

The game is really hard or I'm doing something wrong ?

Never played the original.

What are you having trouble with?

It has difficult parts. It helps to make sure you have the best equipment for your form and your needs, taking note of special features of the equipment. Sometimes trying to farm items helps.

Rodin

It's pretty rough. Boomerang helps a lot for me on those sections. The boss was tough too.

I had fun the whole time though tbh
I found it pretty easy with the lion, next area was much worse. In general though i found it way harder at the beginning.

Btw i miss two swords for 100%: right column, the top and the bottom ones. I have an idea about where is one of the two, although I don't know what do i need to do to get it, but no clue about the other one.

bumpkin

Piranha form, go to the beach,
go underwater, you should see blocks to break that will lead you to the underwater ship.

Daimyo Dragon: Just wait for it to get close to you,
jump up and hit.
Thanks! I actually had gone through that area earlier and I guess I didn't notice the door or something the first time.

I went back and was able to beat the boss I got whooped by. My mistake the first try was not standing back, being patient and watching it's attack patterns before charging in. I took him down!

JonnyKong

Does the lion form have any special abilities? I don't think I've discovered any, but then this is me we're talking about, I tend to miss things.

JonnyKong

Wtf, this sudden difficulty spike is insane at the temple, by the time I get to the boss I have barely any health left so he just pulverises me. Why did they think taking you right back to the village after a death would be a good idea? This game needs a better check point system, I can't be arsed to go through that horrible temple again just to get killed by the boss. Hmph!

jwk94

The game is really hard or I'm doing something wrong ?

Never played the original.
It's hard. Grind that dessert area so you have a lot if items. That'll make things easier. Also, when you're about to die, quit to the title. You'll still have everything from before your death.

Does the lion form have any special abilities? I don't think I've discovered any, but then this is me we're talking about, I tend to miss things.
I don't think so. The big thing with him is that his sword strikes in an arc rather than stabbing motion like everyone else. This makes killing things super easy with him.

bumpkin

And another question, is there an easy and obvious place to buy more blue potions from any time I want?
I believe there's a shop that sells them if you go through the Jungle. When you get to a mouse-climbable wall at the end where going up it takes you to a platform with a locked door and there's a pit if you go down, go down. It'll put you underwater and the door on the upper right is the shop.

StayDead

Wait, so you're telling me I don't have to bang my head against a brick wall in the Daimyo temple as the mouse? Damn, I must have missed a few forms somewhere, because the only way I've figured out of getting there is by using the mouse.

Malcolm9

Just finished it, loved the updated art style but I really didn't like the slippery platforming at times and the hit detection is a bit iffy, I had to grin and bare it through certain parts.

Enjoyable game though and I'd love to see more older games from the 8/16 bit era revived with this quality.

DrArchon

The Unknown area for Mouse-Man has to be the most frustrating section of the whole game. Jesus Christ. Mouse-Man's already wonky enough to control, but throw in single block platforming, having to restart the whole section when you fall, tons of hard to hit flying enemies that knock you off, and Mouse-Man's atrocious range on his sword, and it becomes probably the biggest pain in the ass I've had this year.

Looks like I won't be getting all of the stones.

Dremark

Banned
Absolutely this. In my opinion, it's the best 8 bit game ever, but I know it's just a matter of taste AND fondness, so I obviously respect the 8-bit-best-games-ever-are-just-a-NES-thing men, of course.

I'm with you: if it had been on the NES, those men would appraise this title among the best.

In a way it's sort of understandable. In the US the NES dominated the market and a lot of people don't even know what the SMS is, which is a shame. The SMS did not have as deep of a library as the NES, just straight out it didn't, but the best games on the console IMO stand tall with the heavy hitters on the NES or even surpass them. Having said that this game is easily in my top 3 on the SMS and probably top 10 or even top 5 overall for 8 bit (I'd have to really put a lot of thought in tbh, the cream of the 8 bit crop are really good).

I'm thinking that it might have more name recognition in Europe, South America and Japan though. The SMS was rather popular in certain countries in those areas aside from Japan which had the TG-16 as the main rival to the SNES and a port on that. Also Lizardcube is a French devolper.

On a side note it's really interesting how this game was released the way it is. They updated the graphics, made a couple of minor changes and that was it. The gameplay is identical because the game stands up so well they didn't have to update it.

SkylineRKR

The Lion doesn't have a special ability, but he can destroy blocks below him and upward. He's a good fighter.

I'm having a hard time with the temple too, but I had only 1 potion and no crystal gear and master shield. Now I've almost gotten enough cash. I think having boomerangs help too.

In a way it's sort of understandable. In the US the NES dominated the market and a lot of people don't even know what the SMS is, which is a shame. The SMS did not have as deep of a library as the NES, just straight out it didn't, but the best games on the console IMO stand tall with the heavy hitters on the NES or even surpass them. Having said that this game is easily in my top 3 on the SMS and probably top 10 or even top 5 overall for 8 bit (I'd have to really put a lot of thought in tbh, the cream of the 8 bit crop are really good).

I'm thinking that it might have more name recognition in Europe, South America and Japan though. The SMS was rather popular in certain countries in those areas aside from Japan which had the TG-16 as the main rival to the SNES and a port on that. Also Lizardcube is a French devolper.

On a side note it's really interesting how this game was released the way it is. They updated the graphics, made a couple of minor changes and that was it. The gameplay is identical because the game stands up so well they didn't have to update it.

Master System was VERY popular in Europe. I think it went head to head with the NES, perhaps even surpassing it at some point. Among my friends it was pretty much 50/50 between them. So I played on both a lot. I liked the SMS more, though the NES had Mario Bros 3, Kirby and some other classics. But SMS had nicer graphics, less flicker etc. We played lots of Alex Kidd, WB, Sonic, Shinobi, Vigilante etc.

LordKano

Just beat the last boss. What an amazing remake.

Any tips to find the last stones ? I've got 3 of them and don't know where to find the others (I got the one that
transforms you as a dragon
, the post-game one
in the village
and one on the far right from the lava zone).

Dremark

Banned
Master System was VERY popular in Europe. I think it went head to head with the NES, perhaps even surpassing it at some point. Among my friends it was pretty much 50/50 between them. So I played on both a lot. I liked the SMS more, though the NES had Mario Bros 3, Kirby and some other classics. But SMS had nicer graphics, less flicker etc. We played lots of Alex Kidd, WB, Sonic, Shinobi, Vigilante etc.

I think it depends on the specfic country, I know in a lot of European countries the NES flopped for various reasons and Sega basically dominated as a result and in other countries it was a bit closer. Certain Europeans countries still had it in production when the Saturn came out and in Brazil it was so popular it was still in production when the DC hit. From a technical standpoint the SMS was the better console and I'd even say on average it had better games, but that's the result of Sega practically releasing everything itself (Due to Nintendo's anti competition practices) and probably being more mindful of quality as a result.

Also it slipped my mind in the previous post I believe in Australia the SMS was also rather popular.

SkylineRKR

I remember Aladdin, Castle of Illusion and Lucky Dime Caper looking sick on MS. No way NES could go there. The MS even had Mortal Kombat.

I'd love it Lizardcube would tackle Alex Kidd in Shinobi World next.

mstevens

Just picked this one up (on switch) even though I've never played a Wonder Boy game. I want to support the effort of remastering old games (Duck Tales, Blaster Master, etc). I think it's a really cool trend.

Kweh

Give you the ability to break destructible blocks. Or did you not notice when you needed to break the two in front of you to escape where the chest was located?

Ah okay, that makes sense because I was surprised when I could destroy some blocks and thought it was something I hadn't realised for the entire game.

I like the new art style a lot but things like that compared to the original version are not as noticeable.

DrArchon

I'm looking for one last armor set. I've got everything else, but I'm not sure where to look for this last bit. It's the bottom right armor set.

Also, what does the
Gallic Sword
do? I see it has really high attack, but I don't know what's special about it.

Maaan, this is such a great little remake (well, a great original game, seeing as this is something of a paint-over).

I would just fall over from happiness if they did this to the arcade version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

3rdEdge

I never played the original, but the absolutely beautiful hand drawn graphics combined with the reputation of the original game led me to pick up this remake, and I'm glad I did. What a fantastic game! I love that you can switch between the 8-bit and modern graphics and sound on the fly, it's simply a joy to play and it's clear that a lot of love was poured into this release. Great job Lizardcube!

Psxphile

I'm looking for one last armor set. I've got everything else, but I'm not sure where to look for this last bit. It's the bottom right armor set.

Also, what does the
Gallic Sword

That's Hades Armor. You get it as a drop from enemies in the Damyo temple or you can buy it from a shop one screen up from the entrance to Damyo Temple (use Hawk-man).

Don't have that sword yet so I can't help you there.

LordKano

Okay, once I realized that every stone is tied to a transformation, it was easier to guess where they were.

I have every weapon/shield/armor and the six gems. Everything in the gallery seems to be unlocked, so I guess I fully completed the game ? 7h45, but I googled a few things that I couldn't figure out at the very end. Enjoyed it a lot, well worth the 20 bucks.

Also, what does the
Gallic Sword

By the description I think it increase items drop rate.

SkylineRKR

Beat the game, ended up being very easy. Especially once I bought the Crystal armor and master shield. I went through the temple with one life, and beat the final level with the same life after getting the full Legendary set. Enemies hardly made a dent. I even fought the final boss with tasmanian sword and wondered why he took only one point of damage. I forgot to switch it out lol. With legendary sword he was a joke.

Now for the stones...

Eusis

I DO think the gameplay kind of shows its age in a way, but it's the sort of thing where there'd either be no easy way to address it, any such method would fundamentally alter the game, or it's arguably not THAT serious and should just be left alone. I'm thinking of stuff like bouncing around when hit by an enemy and still being "hit." And honestly that's true for most of the good platformers of that period, Nintendo laid out a nigh-perfect example to follow with SMB.

Though they said they made a hundred or so tweaks but they were all within a narrow framework, plus some of the new animations actually deal with my control gripes just because those little details mean a lot for the feel, namely how your character will skid as they turn around to go the other direction to show the momentum inherit in the movement system, rather than just facing the other direction.

DrArchon

That's Hades Armor. You get it as a drop from enemies in the Damyo temple or you can buy it from a shop one screen up from the entrance to Damyo Temple (use Hawk-man).

Don't have that sword yet so I can't help you there.

Thanks. Would've never thought to go back there.

goldenpp72

Is there any guide that just shows you what items and such exist? I'm at a wall and have no idea what to do and am hoping to proceed..

sfried

So I really wanted to play this again and I am glad I did. I was so overwhelmed at how good it is and it improves on an already great game. The XB1 version was delayed so I ended up buying a PS4 to play this. ��

You should've gotten the Switch version. It plays identically with the added bonus of being able to bring the game with you. Then again, I wonder if the Switch is in stock around your area.

As far as "improves" on an already great game gameplay, I'd say quick sub-weapon select is new. That said, I've heard they added in new levels.

I finally beat
The Unknown stage
. God, I hated that section where
you have to use Mouse-Man to jump from one "velcro-block" to another

Cerium

I suck at this game.

I'm Mouse Man and I've got the fourth heart in the jungle but can't find the key to the door up in the sky and can't figure out where else to go.

I'm enjoying the core gameplay more than I thought I would though.

In other news, Wonder Boy is #2 on the eShop right now which is as high as Snake Pass ever got, so I think it's safe to say the game is doing very well.

Psxphile

I suck at this game.

I'm Mouse Man and I've got the fourth heart in the jungle but can't find the key to the door up in the sky and can't figure out where else to go.

I'm enjoying the core gameplay more than I thought I would though.

In other news, Wonder Boy is #2 on the eShop right now which is as high as Snake Pass ever got, so I think it's safe to say the game is doing very well.

One of the enemies on the screen just before that will drop a key, possibly the ones in the water below too. Just keep killing them until one does.

Fireblend

Banned
100%'d the game earlier. Enjoyed my time with it, the art and animation is super pretty and it's historical value as an early metroidvania is no doubt of note, but I wish there was more to do, definitely feels like a play it once kind of thing for me.

Still, an exemplary remake with outstanding production values. Hope the devs make something meatier in the same vein as this in the future.

bumpkin

Deservedly so for both games. I was blown away at how good this game looked on the Switch in portable mode. I know it's largely due to good art, but still, I love how great it looks and how smoothly it plays.

Otnopolit

The Unknown area for Mouse-Man has to be the most frustrating section of the whole game. Jesus Christ. Mouse-Man's already wonky enough to control, but throw in single block platforming, having to restart the whole section when you fall, tons of hard to hit flying enemies that knock you off, and Mouse-Man's atrocious range on his sword, and it becomes probably the biggest pain in the ass I've had this year.

Looks like I won't be getting all of the stones.

I rammed my head against that section for like, 2 hours straight today. My advice is know that if you're pressing in the direction of the block on the angle you hit it, you'll always stick. And luring the two bats out by jumping back to previous blocks is crucial. I can PM you with specifics if you wanna give it another go!

Cerium

One of the enemies on the screen just before that will drop a key, possibly the ones in the water below too. Just keep killing them until one does.
Thanks.

Deservedly so for both games. I was blown away at how good this game looked on the Switch in portable mode. I know it's largely due to good art, but still, I love how great it looks and how smoothly it plays.

It really makes me want all the hand drawn and animated games on Switch.

Hollow Knight is already on its way.
Indivisible might happen if the devs get their way.

Cuphead unfortunately is impossible.

What else is out there?

kevm3

Visually this is what I expected from 2d graphics when I thought of what the more powerful generations would bring. Somehow this avoids the cheap flash/vector/mobile-game cash in art type look that a lot of modern games have.

Cerium

Visually this is what I expected from 2d graphics when I thought of what the more powerful generations would bring. Somehow this avoids the cheap flash/vector/mobile-game cash in art type look that a lot of modern games have.

You can't beat the hand drawn touch.

catmincer

You should've gotten the Switch version. It plays identically with the added bonus of being able to bring the game with you. Then again, I wonder if the Switch is in stock around your area.

As far as "improves" on an already great game gameplay, I'd say quick sub-weapon select is new. That said, I've heard they added in new levels.

I finally beat
The Unknown stage
. God, I hated that section where
you have to use Mouse-Man to jump from one "velcro-block" to another

Nah, I have no intention of getting a Switch yet, it's $200 more expensive than a PS4 so I'll wait a while longer. When I do get one I'll likely rebuy this though :D

Cerium

Oh this is probably why it reached #2.
Penny Arcade said:
i-7RmvDr4-2100x20000.jpg

I'm still on the prowl for a Switch, so I can't speak to it personally, but Grabe is having a premium experience with the new Wonder Boy. That just which just reinforces two things I thought already: one, I need to steal a Switch from one of the other people here, and two, that a lot of the stuff I'm going to like best for it isn't going to be on a cartridge. I guess this all leads into a corollary, or maybe even a Point Three, where if you don't have a plump SD card slotted in that thing it's entirely possible that ur doin it rong.

sheaaaa

Played this somewhat close to completion as Dragon's Curse on the Wii Virtual Console, something like 10 years ago.

Playing it on the Switch now, the game still feels fresh and I'm having a blast. The ability to change visual and music styles is a really cool party trick, but I'm sticking with the updated ones and switching back to retro just out of curiosity now and then.

All in all, it's a great remake and well worth the money.

BTA

Been happily playing a bit here and there of the Switch version the last couple days. Got further than I ever did in Dragon's Curse on VC pretty quickly, so it's cool to see what I missed. Been messing with the retro graphics/sound whenever I'm at a dull point, and seeing the changes is genuinely interesting. Did almost get stuck earlier
accidentally left not as a Piranha after getting the thunder ring
but googling gave me a vague idea of where I needed to look for a fix. The devs also reached out on Twitter when I was tweeting about this happening (since there is a way to get legitimately stuck there), which I appreciated, so that might be a good way to reach them if it happens to you- seems like you can DM them your current password and they'll give you one that fixes things for you.

Do sorta wish there was some way to get Dragon's Curse's graphics (but completely understand the rights mess preventing that) and it sorta bothers me that Wonder Girl's only different for the start of the game. I really appreciate that the option exists but... all the forms look the same and the menus even use "-Man" for the form names. It's all minor though; I'm enjoying it a lot. Though I will say, as someone around 2 hours in (and some of the second was grinding for coins), I am wondering what actually makes the game 5+ hours long.

Top Bottom