• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thanks, I just bought a japanese card, now waiting for my code.

fwiw, amazon has slightly better prices (just flat exchange rate), and the code comes up instantly. as long as your foreign CC card works on amazon.co.jp that is.

gogojira

Waiting for reviews, which I suspect will be good. I'll snag it on Switch tomorrow. Seems like a good game to have on the go.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
fwiw, amazon has slightly better prices (just flat exchange rate), and the code comes up instantly. as long as your foreign CC card works on amazon.co.jp that is.
Yes I just realized the game will cost me 22€, more than the 20€ price we'll get tomorrow. Little price to pay to know the process for a future important game/release delay :p

For those wondering on Switch JPN version..

Nintendo has seemingly moved to universal SKUs for eShop. If it's easy enough for you to load yen on the JPN eshop, when you buy a game there and check the US eShop, the game will show up purchased.

So if you REALLY need to play it now, and can get yen loaded for exchange rate value.. you're 100% safe. I haven't found a game yet where there are effectively two different game IDs between the two stores. Even Disgaea 5 is 100% playable now.

The first real test will be DQW1&2. Currently out on JPN, but only Japanese language. Will see when it gets released in the US if it ends up showing Purchased on the JPN eShop (and if that version gets updated with English language)

How does this work? Do you not need a seperate, Japanese Nintendo account?

borghe

How does this work? Do you not need a seperate, Japanese Nintendo account?

almost exactly like PSN. It is easier with a second account (otherwise "trapped" funds cause problems). Basically create an account with a region of japan. Then when you launch eShop from Switch, select that account to launch it from. Anything installed on that Switch can be played by any account on it.

almost exactly like PSN. It is easier with a second account (otherwise "trapped" funds cause problems). Basically create an account with a region of japan. Then when you launch eShop from Switch, select that account to launch it from. Anything installed on that Switch can be played by any account on it.

Yeah, that's how I've been doing it.
And just did, to buy Wonderboy. :)

But in your original comment it sounded like you could access both storefronts on one account. Or will the game show up on the EU storefront as bought with my EU account, when it's installed on my system via a JP account on the JP storefront?

Maybe I just misunderstood.

borghe

yes, when it launches tomorrow on US, it should now show up as Purchased, being that you bought it from JPN. It seems Switch uses only one ID/SKU per title.

You CAN use a single account to buy from both stores.. but that's where the trapped funds thing happens. Where you have a small amount of money left over from one region and it prevents you (IIRC) from logging into the other region's store. That's why most just say use a second account.

yes, when it launches tomorrow on US, it should now show up as Purchased, being that you bought it from JPN. It seems Switch uses only one ID/SKU per title.

You CAN use a single account to buy from both stores.. but that's where the trapped funds thing happens. Where you have a small amount of money left over from one region and it prevents you (IIRC) from logging into the other region's store. That's why most just say use a second account.

Huh, that's weird but useful. The singular SKU thing that is. Guess my japanese account may see some use in the future after all.
Thanks for helping out dude. :)

Enk

makes good threads.
Even though I've played the original quite a bit, I'm still super psyched for this to come out tomorrow! Love their unique visual take on the Wonder Boy style, and this should be a benchmark for how future retro rereleases should be handled.

Kind of hoping that as good as the original Wonderboy 3 was, that this remake is padded out somewhat. You could get through the original Dragons Trap if I recall in 4 to 5 hours so a few extra areas etc or original ones lengthened would be nice.

maxcriden

Kind of hoping that as good as the original Wonderboy 3 was, that this remake is padded out somewhat. You could get through the original Dragons Trap if I recall in 4 to 5 hours so a few extra areas etc or original ones lengthened would be nice.

Still possible there are some secrets and changes in this version, no? I don't know either way, sincerely asking. (Does the game feature any collectibles or some purpose-driven replay value?)

Still possible there are some secrets and changes in this version, no? I don't know either way, sincerely asking. (Does the game feature any collectibles or some purpose-driven replay value?)

Doubt it, it's the same game. So much that you can switch between remake / original graphics and sound ( you can even choose to use FM sound or not).

PlatStrat

Neo Member
I checked this thread due to the OT title. Now I'm probably going to buy the game because GODDAMN do we need more games that look this good.

maxcriden

Doubt it, it's the same game. So much that you can switch between remake / orighnial graphics and sound ( you can even choose to use FM sound or not).

Ah, true. Forgot that aspect. In the Dev Diary as someone mentioned though, the creator of the original game Nishizawa-san mentioned they should put in more secret doors when remaking the game. It was an offhand comment it seems but it does make me wonder if they might have done so.

Don't really know too much about this game but I LOVE how it looks.

I bought some points from Amazon Japan and I'm downloading it right now, during work. Wifi is crap here so I'm using my phone's mobile hotspot, lol.

I have a 45 min bus ride in a few so I'll be diving into this.

Great OT, btw!

Just a heads up, that OP gif with the flashing colors could seriously give someone a seizure. As cool as it is, maybe replace with a screenshot instead.

RNAZPuW.png

>Wondergirl
So... Not Asha? The one established female wonder boy?

Asha isn't a female wonder boy though.
The title of her game is just "Monster World IV".

To put it another way:
Wonder Boy in Monster World (The Genesis game) was called "Wonder Boy V: Monster World III" in Japan.

Could liquidtmd do a favor to OCD people like me and spell the game title correctly? =)

Wonderboy > Wonder Boy
Dragons > Dragon's

Current title: "Wonderboy: The Dragons Trap"
Correct title: "Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap"

Thanks =)

And if you want to go extra-mile with sexing-up the artworks this is the font that the game uses:
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Josefin+Sans
Can a mod help out?

Also, I'm intrigued as to whether this runs emulation or a new game engine that find the original data?

In the credits it mentions that it contains some MAME code.

liquidtmd

Banned
Can a mod help out?

Also, I'm intrigued as to whether this runs emulation or a new game engine that find the original data?

In the credits it mentions that it contains some MAME code.

I PM'ed a couple when it was mentioned about the correction, no reply yet. As mentioned I only screwed it up due to the OT being accidentally posted early and I was scrambling to get a title in the OP other the just 'Wonderboy' which was the placeholder whilst I fiddled with the formatting - damn Preview thread button being so close to submit! Sure someone will sort it.

Interesting about the credits and MAME, didn't know that.

fritzon

Neo Member
Please, tell me that the whole game is playable in 8-bit mode?

I played this game with my father and brother back when it came out and I have the these fond memories of me and my brother going to bed and hearing the sound effects and music through the walls as our father stayed up by the television set through the night playing the game.

I would love to re-introduce the game to him but I'm not sure if the new art would click with the old geezer...

maxcriden

Does this release on Switch tomorrow and not on Thursday?

Yes. Midweek releases for non-Nintendo games do occur, as happened with Snake Pass. :)

(In the meantime, if you want to play it right now, people are discussing upthread how to get it on the JP eShop.)

Please, tell me that the whole game is playable in 8-bit mode?

I played this game with my father and brother back when it came out and I have the these fond memories of me and my brother going to bed and hearing the sound effects and music through the walls as our father stayed up by the television set through the night playing the game.

I would love to re-introduce the game to him but I'm not sure if the new art would click with the old geezer...

Of course it is! You can switch gfx or/and sound on the fly.

I'm falling in love with this game... Though it is brutally hard!

Tsunamo

So I played that for way longer than I should have, was only meant to be a quick session and I ended up playing for hours!

As someone who never played the original the game shows its master system and portable roots a bit, (makes it perfect for Switch portable mode) but the game while being a bit of a simple platformer game has so much content and depth to it and the team that remastered it have done such an amazing job with the new artstyle, everything looks so vibrant.

It's such a fun charming platformer and I don't at all regret paying what I have for it. It's suprisingly lengthy for a old Master System game, but yeah i'm enjoying it a ton.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
God, I hate the Switch marketplace. Unrelated to Wonderboy, but I hate how hard it is to just Browse all titles.

Top Bottom