• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

c1d

Eh... this fishing minigame is getting on my nerves. Why Falcom decided to lock Door #14 behind that annoying minigame? Why Falcom? Why? Why? Why?

More annoying is the fact that I'm so close to winning and always the Fishing Baron gets a big fish in the last round.
Yeah I never got through without him catching 2 big ones and Estelle dropping at least one of hers - took me around an hour in the end (lucky that Star Door 14 is worth it)

flowsnake

Eh... this fishing minigame is getting on my nerves. Why Falcom decided to lock Door #14 behind that annoying minigame? Why Falcom? Why? Why? Why?

More annoying is the fact that I'm so close to winning and always the Fishing Baron gets a big fish in the last round.

Do you definitely have to do the whole thing? I thought the door only required you to beat the first part of each Sun minigame.

Fou-Lu

Where do I find Shining Poms in this game? I've seen like one and couldn't seem to deal any damge to it at all. Are they still worth farming?

Arthea

Where do I find Shining Poms in this game? I've seen like one and couldn't seem to deal any damge to it at all. Are they still worth farming?

4th plane, first forest wolf encounter, they are pretty rare, but worth a bit of farming midgame, there are more in an optional dungeon at the end of game, not only not worth anymore, not even viable, considering how you get to them.

Thud

You won't find shining poms on the map. They like to appear together with other monsters.

High enough attack will damage the critters, like physical S-crafts. Some have ATT guard as well.

Fou-Lu

You won't find shining poms on the map. They like to appear together with other monsters.

High enough attack will damage the critters, like physical S-crafts. Some have ATT guard as well.

I seem to do no damage to the Shining Poms in chapter 6, even with s-crafts. Am I just too weak?

Are there other creatures that act like Shining Poms? I remember these pot monsters in Plane 1 and 2 that ran away right after you found them. I didn't get a chance to try hitting them with an S craft, but I MIGHT have hit them with normal stuff and it didn't work.

I got the last round of fishing on my second attempt, first was very close and on my second I destroyed him, didn't know people had trouble with it.
You need to catch a certain fish and then use it as bait to get the biggest one.

Linkark07

Banned
Finishing the minigames on any difficulty is sufficient to have it count as completed.

Thought that one needed to be finished on the last difficulty. Should have finished the other ones before trying that one for confirm that.

Ok, just finished the game today. Man, I have to admit tears started appearing in my eyes after the last boss was defeated and the final cutscene appeared. Have to admit, never expected to really love the characters of this series when I started the first TitS on my Vita. Thankfully, I started quite late so the waiting for the SC wasn't long (but still painful), but so glad XSEED managed to translate it and release it not only on PSP (Vita), but also on PC.

And now we finish the journey with the 3rd, something many thought would be hard considering the big job XSEED had to do for translate the first two. Thanks for the hard work XSEED; you guys are awesome.

I would give this 8/10 normally, but being the epilogue of the first trilogy, and how it ended, 9/10 for me.

I guess now to play Trails of Cold Steel but I'll probably wait for it to be released on PC. And hoping one day Ao/Zero get a western release.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
How the fuck do you win the Black Jack game against Halle? I haven't won not even one round yet, even after trying again with the difficulty lowered. Is there any skill involved or is it all luck? I don't know a damn thing about card games, let alone one as complicated as BJ

Arthea

How the fuck do you win the Black Jack game against Halle? I haven't won not even one round yet, even after trying again with the difficulty lowered. Is there any skill involved or is it all luck? I don't know a damn thing about card games, let alone one as complicated as BJ

I haven't lost to both of them, so if you want an advice, play it safe, not taking risks is a key, I'm not sure any luck is involved, as my luck is legendary kind of bad. What I mean by that, if you have 17 or more points, stop!, you might lose once or twice this way, but in the end you'll win, I did.

Nyoro SF

You don't have to spoil a question of how to win at blackjack! I will admit that if you don't have experience the game can flummox you though. I recommend looking up a free blackjack simulator online and just playing a couple dozen games.

Ultimately think of it from a basic adding exercise. If you have a 10 and an 8, the odds of drawing a card that will put you over 21 is very high. Generally you can play blackjack one of two ways; defensively, sitting on 17-21, waiting for the house to bust, or offensively, taking risks to try to eke your way as close to 21 to put pressure on the house. Remember, the house MUST draw cards until they're at 17 or over.

House has an advantage with the face down card which is where the gambling aspect comes into play. For example if the dealer has a 6 and a face-down card, then you can take the gamble that perhaps the dealer has a 16, which is not the most enviable position to be in, and then you can choose to play defensively accordingly, hoping that the dealer will bust since the house MUST draw until they're 17 and over. But if the house has a King and a face-down card, then the gamble gets tougher, and you must choose whether it's worth taking the risk to try to overcome the house.

There's obviously more layers than that with card odds and such (~38% chance of drawing a 10-11 value card, which gets lower as more of those value cards are revealed), but Kiseki Blackjack is simpler than the real thing, so I would just stick to basic strategies and go with that.

EDIT: Beat Halle on my first try, sure there's some luck involved like all gambling, but if you play the basics I think your odds improve quite a lot. By the way, I hope you know how to play poker...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
You don't have to spoil a question of how to win at blackjack! I will admit that if you don't have experience the game can flummox you though. I recommend looking up a free blackjack simulator online and just playing a couple dozen games.

Ultimately think of it from a basic adding exercise. If you have a 10 and an 8, the odds of drawing a card that will put you over 21 is very high. Generally you can play blackjack one of two ways; defensively, sitting on 17-21, waiting for the house to bust, or offensively, taking risks to try to eke your way as close to 21 to put pressure on the house. Remember, the house MUST draw cards until they're at 17 or over.

House has an advantage with the face down card which is where the gambling aspect comes into play. For example if the dealer has a 6 and a face-down card, then you can take the gamble that perhaps the dealer has a 16, which is not the most enviable position to be in, and then you can choose to play defensively accordingly, hoping that the dealer will bust since the house MUST draw until they're 17 and over. But if the house has a King and a face-down card, then the gamble gets tougher, and you must choose whether it's worth taking the risk to try to overcome the house.

There's obviously more layers than that with card odds and such (~38% chance of drawing a 10-11 value card, which gets lower as more of those value cards are revealed), but Kiseki Blackjack is simpler than the real thing, so I would just stick to basic strategies and go with that.

EDIT: Beat Halle on my first try, sure there's some luck involved like all gambling, but if you play the basics I think your odds improve quite a lot. By the way, I hope you know how to play poker...

Thanks for the advise guys. I beat 'em both shortly after writing my previous post and after re-reading the rules and figuring out what the object of the game is LOL.

Diablos54

So I'm slowly making my way through this, trying to take my time and savour it, and I just did the Oliver/Muller star door... All I can say is holy shit that was amazing, so much build up to Cold Steel, this is easily the best dungeon crawler I've ever played (if you can call it that). Depending on how it ends it could even be my favourite of the three Sora games!

isamu

I would suggest you do hard mode arena.

It won't answer your questions but it'll make everything potentially more confusing!

How do you unlock Hard mode arena? I've only done it on normal.

Psxphile

How do you unlock Hard mode arena? I've only done it on normal.

You'll find arena invitations in chests later on. Take those back to the door and you'll get the option to try higher difficulties. There's one for Hard and one for Nightmare, which probably won't be available until near end-game.

isamu

You'll find arena invitations in chests later on. Take those back to the door and you'll get the option to try higher difficulties. There's one for Hard and one for Nightmare, which probably won't be available until near end-game.

Thank you kindly good sir!

Finally finished the game. The final goodbye sequence with everyone was very emotional for me. I've really grown to feel close to this cast since I first played FC with the English PC release 3 years ago. I still haven't played Cold Steel, so I'm looking forward to the PC release. I also REALLY REALLY hope Crossbell is able to happen (ideally in an official form but I'll eventually take what I can get with the fan translation if that doesn't look possible), especially since (Maybe Crossbell spoilers? Spoilers just in case)
I know we will indeed get to catch up with Estelle, Joshua, and Renne there

(Also, does anyone else feel like they get closer to being in line with the series veterans and their conversations every time they complete a new English release?)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Just finished it this evening. Not as good as the tight story of 1/2 but still really liked it. Just a bit too abstract for me compared to the previous entries.

Richard
was MVP of my party. Once you crank everyone's speed up and I gave him the acc that continually boosts your CP, he was unstoppable. I never fully understand how the game calculates your delay until your next turn but his crafts seem to have even smaller delay than just a move action such that he sometimes took 3 turns in a row in boss battles. Crazy.

Against the final boss where
it summons the pillars to cast... something? I watched him take like 8 turns killing each one individually before their spell went off. I swear in the time span of 1 'round' he took 8 turns

Also I suspect this game's boss battles would be rough without earth wall. But with it... pretty easy.

Are the other games in this series as strong as TITS 1/2 when it comes to story and character?

Thud

Are the other games in this series as strong as TITS 1/2 when it comes to story and character?

Cold Steel is a step back in writing, but still has a lot of worldbuilding and tons of great NPC's.
And more Anton!

Zero and especially Ao are highly praised by those that played it, but those haven't seen a western release yet.

isamu

Argh, how to open Star Door 14? I've opened all the previous doors, only Star Door 15 is not opened (it's in the last chapter, point of no return etc). I've seen both parts of Sun Door 1, only did normal and hard in the tournament and played the minigames on the easiest difficulty only. This should be enough, right? The grail diary says I've not finished Sun Door 3 (Tournament) because I'm missing a requirement for after the hard level.Aargh.

14 requires all doors, including 15. 15 is not past the point of no return.

OK so wait a minute, two things....

1)Do you actually have to see both parts of Sun Door 1

2)Beat the arena tournament on Nightmare(or whatever's after hard)

...........in order to gain access and open door 14?

And also can someone confirm which plane has
the chest containing the invitation to nightmare mode for the tournament is in? I'm guessing....somewhere in 7?(don't need exact specifics)

Tonton

the chest containing the invitation to nightmare mode for the tournament is in? I'm guessing....somewhere in 7?(don't need exact specifics)
You only need to beat the first difficulty of a minigame to access Door 14

Yeah the invitation is there

You really REALLY want to see both parts of Sun Door 1 more like it.

isamu

You really REALLY want to see both parts of Sun Door 1 more like it.

It's like Sen's Funhouse.

Yeah I completed earlier. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL @ Erika and Agate's dialog!

Anyway after a ridiculously long but heartbreaking cutscene, I just got to
Gehanna
. Before I go any further I need to know one thing.....

Am I TRULY at the point of no return? I mean, I still haven't found Door 15 yet, and also haven't found the chest containing the Nightmare invitation to the tournament. Is it safe to continue exploring Gehanna? Will I be able warp back to the Garden complete those two other things?

Anyway after a ridiculously long but heartbreaking cutscene, I just got to
Gehanna
. Before I go any further I need to know one thing.....

Am I TRULY at the point of no return? I mean, I still haven't found Door 15 yet, and also haven't found the chest containing the Nightmare invitation to the tournament. Is it safe to continue exploring Gehanna? Will I be able warp back to the Garden complete those two other things?

Gehenna is not the point of no return
. It would be really obvious when the time comes. Somebody will actually explicitly say something like "after this you won't be able to return here."

isamu

Gehenna is not the point of no return
. It would be really obvious when the time comes. Somebody will actually explicitly say something like "after this you won't be able to return here."

Oh OK thanks

isamu

You also get to explore the optional dungeon before the point of no return. Still a ways to go.

And quite a dungeon it is. Didn't really have any problems with any of the Devil bosses much less the regular enemies.

But we gotta talk about door 15:

What the hell did I just read/watch? Wow, pretty sad and tragic stuff going on with Renne. I think I get it but just want to make sure I got this straight.... the so-called "friends" she was supposedly interacting with were all a figment of her imagination, she manifested to help her cope with her situation, correct? And it was only her that was forced into performing sex acts with those "customers" ? What is your take on this? Also who were the couple holding the infant towards the end? Were those supposed to be her real parents? If so, why did they abandon her? So many questions.....

And quite a dungeon it is. Didn't really have any problems with any of the Devil bosses much less the regular enemies.

What the hell did I just read/watch? Wow, pretty sad and tragic stuff going on with Renne. I think I get it but just want to make sure I got this straight.... the so-called "friends" she was supposedly interacting with were all a figment of her imagination, she manifested to help her cope with her situation, correct? And it was only her that was forced into performing sex acts with those "customers" ? What is your take on this? Also who were the couple holding the infant towards the end? Were those supposed to be her real parents? If so, why did they abandon her? So many questions.....

I believe you got the long and short of it. I
actually predicted that this was the general gist of her back story from her dialogue in SC (she tells about how she was forced to do bad things before Joshua and Loewe saved her and brought her into Ouroborus) as well as the fact that the 3rd had a notorious scene that was removed from all non initial releases until now. Still, it was very tough to watch play out.

Arthea

yes, they are her parents, they had some problems and left her with their acquaintance? friend? maybe relative, not sure which, and she feels they abandoned her, actually I think they didn't, but it didn't work out and she ended in that place. I think it is mentioned in SC
as for her friends, I'm undecided, they seem like her imaginary friends, but otoh she is so broken, they might be real but not how she imagines them

as for her friends, I'm undecided, they seem like her imaginary friends, but otoh she is so broken, they might be real but not how she imagines them
I thought it was pretty clear that they were personalities she made up to protect herself. Other people in that scene refer to her putting on those personalities with clients.

isamu

I believe you got the long and short of it. I
actually predicted that this was the general gist of her back story from her dialogue in SC (she tells about how she was forced to do bad things before Joshua and Loewe saved her and brought her into Ouroborus) as well as the fact that the 3rd had a notorious scene that was removed from all non initial releases until now. Still, it was very tough to watch play out.

yes, they are her parents, they had some problems and left her with their acquaintance? friend? maybe relative, not sure which, and she feels they abandoned her, actually I think they didn't, but it didn't work out and she ended in that place. I think it is mentioned in SC

Wow. The thing that really gets to me, is knowing that these kinds of things are happening out here in the real world. It's pretty heartbreaking.

Arthea

I thought it was pretty clear that they were personalities she made up to protect herself. Other people in that scene refer to her putting on those personalities with clients.

yeah, I get that,
but my reasoning is that in the place like this, probably there are more children, so maybe they aren't pure fiction

Psxphile

First time I've come across fanart of these guys in the wild:

Cso1S1TUIAAKSmb.jpg:orig
source

That was a fun door.

isamu

Nightmare arena final round
*looks at opponents*
welp

I was at the final round as well this morning and that is the EXACT same reaction I had! Suffice it to say I was like "NOPE!" and proceeded to get my ass handed to me. My party was:

Kevin
Renne
Kloe
Tita

Any tips of how to beat these two overpowered lunatics? The thing that sucks is that you(I'm assuming) have to re-fight all three opponents just to get back to those guys :(

I am told (though haven't tried) that Tita can trivialise guardian 3 on any difficulty.

Spoilers for fight and door rewards:
he is not immune to the Orbal Gear charge knockback. He doesn't really have long range attacks other than his S-craft.

Since "Guardian 3" is also in the final round of the Nightmare Arena fight, does this strategy apply to him in there as well?

It ended up being easier than I expected personally, (I was playing on normal difficulty though)

Can I ask who your party was and at what level?

Never mind, finished Nightmare Arena. A lot easier since I prepared this time around. I'm ready for the end now.

Party members and their levels?

Also am I allowed to forge my Ultimate weapons with my Zemurian Ore before tackling the Nightmare Arena battles? How many weapons can I forge? Who do I talk to to forge them?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was at the final round as well this morning and that is the EXACT same reaction I had! Suffice it to say I was like "NOPE!" and proceeded to get my ass handed to me. My party was:

Kevin
Renne
Kloe
Tita

Any tips of how to beat these two overpowered lunatics? The thing that sucks is that you(I'm assuming) have to re-fight all three opponents just to get back to those guys :(

Since "Guardian 3" is also in the final round of the Nightmare Arena fight, does this strategy apply to him in there as well?

Can I ask who your party was and at what level?

Party members and their levels?

Also am I allowed to forge my Ultimate weapons with my Zemurian Ore before tackling the Nightmare Arena battles? How many weapons can I forge? Who do I talk to to forge them?

Kevin with Onyx + Time, CP restoration accessories, Grail Sphere, and Earth Wall (optionally Gaia Shield, but it's so expensive) is pretty OP, at least on normal difficulty. I don't think any fight gave me much trouble at all once I started using that.

Kevin with Onyx + Time, CP restoration accessories, Grail Sphere, and Earth Wall (optionally Gaia Shield, but it's so expensive) is pretty OP, at least on normal difficulty. I don't think any fight gave me much trouble at all once I started using that.

Also if you have Analace in your party she get's a REALLY good sword upgrade when you beat it for the first time.

isamu

Thanks. You mentioned something called a Gaia Shield. Umm, since when can we equip shields in this game? Which shop/stone monument has this Gaia Shield?

Thanks. You mentioned something called a Gaia Shield. Umm, since when can we equip shields in this game? Which shop/stone monument has this Gaia Shield?

Gaia Shield is an art like Earth Wall but it covers the entire battlefield instead of a small circle. It's way more expensive and has a casting time but you can use it at any time unlike Grail Sphere.

Top Bottom