• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 was just stolen

Izuna

Banned
I have the following information:
I.P. address of where they used the console today from Netflix
Xbox 360 Serial Number
Full names of the girl and her boyfriend
Girl's email address

I'll try to be as tl;dr as possible...

I rent a room (moving out in a couple days). This 17-year-old girl and her 19-year-old boyfriend moved into the room next to mine a month ago. They were poor, had fuck all so I lent my 360. Lot of shit happened between them and the landlord (basically they never paid rent, never topped up electricity which I had to fucking do etc.) and the landlord got them removed. I came back from work, they're gone and they took the 360.

The landlord is on some shady shit where they don't want me to say I'm a tenant of this room to the police. I also wrote a full page on /r/twoxchromosomes about the domestic above revolving the teenagers that moved out. The girl's Dad used to stay over in their room also, who not two days ago bragged about mugging a dude and straight up stole his iPhone and asked me to unlock it.

That 360 is very fucking important to me. It originally belonged to a brother of mine who I have no idea how to contact. His account, save files etc. are on there and it's the only thing of his that I have. I want to know what I can do to get it back, the best way.

I don't know for sure but I think the girl is staying with her Mother (and I also don't know, but I think she was kicked out prior). While I know the guy has priors and her dad is a piece of shit, I think reporting her to the police has the best chance because I imagine her mother wouldn't want her to be charged or end up in small claims court.

I have her email because they had a smashed iPhone 7 they wanted to put up on eBay (which was iCloud locked so I didn't bother repairing it).

I sent this, not alluding to any action I want to take:
Hi [],

You both moved out today, I noticed that my Xbox isn't in the room? It's kinda sentimental (the only thing left from my big brother). Could you bring it back or I can come to you?

Kindest,
Izuna

tbh I am so sick of being scammed. I have like £4 in my account to survive until I get paid in a few days and it all goes to rent (hoping my landlord gives me money they owe). This month alone I've been scammed out of so much.

If Greater Manchester police the best bet? I'd have to ignore whatever shady shit the landlord is on. Every other illegal thing they did... all I want is that Xbox back.

Call the Police. If you're landlord is doing something shady then that's worrying as well, but do an anonymous tip or something to the police in that case.

WolfeTone

Wait for the girl to respond to the email. (She likely won't).

Then go to the police.

Find a new place to live. Your landlord sounds shady as fuck.

Izuna

Banned
Call the Police. If you're landlord ks doing something shady then that's worrying as well.

Like, it's super important I get my deposit, money I spent on the internet bill and electricity back before I do anything that can piss them off.

I couldn't call 101 because it requires credit (so fucking dumb) but I got the direct number from saynoto0870

Whatever, it's so important I get the box back and I at least know that they it hasn't been sold or anything since they're using the Netflix (why I haven't changed the password for it yet revoking access).

Izuna

Banned
Wait for the girl to respond to the email. (She likely won't).

Then go to the police.

Find a new place to live. Your landlord sounds shady as fuck.

I feel like she would have responded by now, but at least I gave her a chance to return it without threatening her.

I'd have gone to the house myself tonight if I knew the address.

Thankfully I move Saturday evening (I need to redirect mail because ActionFraud should be responding to me about a gumtree scam...)

Are you actually signed to a lease there?
If not I wouldn't piss the shady landlord off by calling the coppers.

Like, when I was moving in they didn't have any tenancy agreement so I had to write it up myself. I really needed to move ASAP to get out of where I was living so I paid rent months in advance and shit.

I'm... I need to be on their good side long enough that I get my deposit and stuff back, otherwise next month will be impossible.

Izuna

Banned
You won't get it back.

I'm wondering if scaring her by saying I have the info I do (police can track address via the I.P. right?) is enough to have her talk to her Mum or something, who would want her daughter to not be reported to the police for theft. Right? It's the only hope I have right now.

WolfeTone

I feel like she would have responded by now, but at least I gave her a chance to return it without threatening her.

I'd have gone to the house myself tonight if I knew the address.

Thankfully I move Saturday evening (I need to redirect mail because ActionFraud should be responding to me about a gumtree scam...)

Like, when I was moving in they didn't have any tenancy agreement so I had to write it up myself. I really needed to move ASAP to get out of where I was living so I paid rent months in advance and shit.

I'm... I need to be on their good side long enough that I get my deposit and stuff back, otherwise next month will be impossible.

If you do somehow manage to find their address. Don't go to get it back alone. From the very little you've said about them, they might rough you up.

GavinUK86

I'm wondering if scaring her by saying I have the info I do (police can track address via the I.P. right?) is enough to have her talk to her Mum or something, who would want her daughter to not be reported to the police for theft. Right? It's the only hope I have right now.

I would write everything up, go down to the police station and talk to someone. Explain it all.

RomeoDog

Banned
It's going to be sold for drugs probably. I'm sorry OP. But I would cut my losses. I've definitely been there with 4 dollars in the bank before pay day. It makes everything in life frustrating and it's easy to get angry and depressed.

Izuna

Banned
It's going to be sold for drugs probably. I'm sorry OP. But I would cut my losses. I've definitely been there with 4 dollars in the bank before pay day. It makes everything in life frustrating and it's easy to get angry and depressed.

the Xbox is priceless

At least, the Harddrive is

For as long as they don't know I can track the Netflix activity I should be able to know if it moves.

Izuna

Banned
I would write everything up, go down to the police station and talk to someone. Explain it all.

I could do so tomorrow since I'm not at work. It's just that... I had an Xbox One taken in a similar way (which was just a money loss) in January and the police never got back to me to take a statement.

Do you think they would care more if I told them about the sentimental value?

Ventara

I think you're SOL. If it was important, you really shouldn't have lent it out. Heck, I wouldn't lend anything over $5 to someone I just met. But best of luck to you, and I do hope you somehow get your X360 back.

Edit: Wait, you had something similar happen to your X1? Come on, OP, you need to learn from your mistakes.

I'm sorry man, but that Xbox is gone. Off the chance you do find out where it's being held, don't go in yourself. Make sure to let the police know.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, and I do hope you somehow get it back.

Small claims court? Sorry but the reality is that the case will cost more than the 360. Is that really worth it?

Not being harsh, but don't lend stuff to people you don't know very well.

Refused

Neo Member

Good side? Fuck them. You realise how much trouble you can get the landlord into?
I'd consider contacting Shelter for advice and reporting them to the local council. I'm assuming the deposit isn't in any kind of deposit protection scheme either? Again, some more shit to drop the landlord in.

As for the console, keep an eye out on local selling groups on Facebook and contact places like Cex and Cash Converters with info of it in case they try to sell it there.

RedFury

For once Scorpio would have actually made sense and no one said.

Damn sorry Izuna these thing never work out in my experience. You could try the bluff but that's all you got as far as getting it back. Reporting the crime may get them in trouble/consequences but your not getting that system back.

statham

For once Scorpio would have actually made sense and no one said.

Damn sorry Izuna these thing never work out in my experience. You could try the bluff but that's all you got as far as getting it back. Reporting the crime may get them in trouble/consequences but your not getting that system back.

if he tells them hes going to file a police complaint, I bet he gets it back. what condition? IDK.

Izuna

Banned
Good side? Fuck them. You realise how much trouble you can get the landlord into?
I'd consider contacting Shelter for advice and reporting them to the local council. I'm assuming the deposit isn't in any kind of deposit protection scheme either? Again, some more shit to drop the landlord in.

As for the console, keep an eye out on local selling groups on Facebook and contact places like Cex and Cash Converters with info of it in case they try to sell it there.

Like, I don't think they would sell it because it has a shit ton of games in it and it would only net like £30 at a Cash Converters. I have reported the serial number stolen (as if that'll do any good) but I should get an alert if it were sold to something like CeX.

It's got Netflix access to boot, and they already used it tonight. I probably have a small window of time from the moment I sent that email or any subsequent one to try and scare her into not having a criminal record.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Like, I don't think they would sell it because it has a shit ton of games in it and it would only net like £30 at a Cash Converters. I have reported the serial number stolen (as if that'll do any good) but I should get an alert if it were sold to something like CeX.

It's got Netflix access to boot, and they already used it tonight. I probably have a small window of time from the moment I sent that email or any subsequent one to try and scare her into not having a criminal record.

I am still unsure why you are not filing a police report.

Syriel

Go to the police.

Try to do stuff yourself, and you'll risk being the one in trouble.

RomeoDog

Banned

Your best bet in getting it back is probably offering her money for it. Also without her address or phone number the police can't help you either( even if they wanted too)

Criminal records don't come from word of mouth about stealing cheap stuff.

RedFury

"Someone stole something I own and care about very much. Should I call the police?"

Gee, I wonder.
I dont think that's what people mean when they say it. He/she (sorry Izuna I'm never really sure by your posts) is trying to get it back before getting the authorities involved. If they catch wind it was reported they get rid of it and it's gone for good. If police even bother going to residence and searching no proof no crime.

Izuna

Banned
I am still unsure why you are not filing a police report.

Short of walking into the police station (which I will do tomorrow)... if I call the local number they're just going to schedule an appointment.

I... I hope I have a good update.

I can deal with all the other BS and scams because I can bounce back but I can't just buy another 360 with those files on it.
Your best bet in getting it back is probably offering her money for it.

That crossed my mind, but I think it would just sound like a bluff in the email. If they're going to try and extort me, they would regardless, right?

Spman2099

Give her another day to respond, then file a police report. Don't try to deal with this on your own. It sounds like they are dangerous people. Don't get yourself hurt over an old game console.

*edit*

Sorry, I should have read the entire thread first. I see things have already progressed. Anyway, best of luck. Be safe.

Izuna

Banned
You lent your console to a couple of strangers?

._.

I did fucking everything for these people.

When they came in, they're TV had a broken adapter. I give them one from my HDD which had too little current so it didn't work. I replaced it. I didn't have the AC for the 360, so I bought one.

On 2 occasions, I asked if they wanted takeaway because they were broke af and it was a little more than if I ordered myself due to discounts and stuff...

When the girl had a black eye, after the guy definitely fucking assaulted her, I was THIS close to calling the police but I wanted to give the landlord a day to think about what sort of drama he'd welcome to the house. We all have a big discussion on it.

I made sure they had toilet rolls because there was a girl in the house and it felt weird that she had to use it without any. I lent them £30, knowing they probably couldn't pay me back by the time I move because they hadn't fucking eaten and shit...

I need feel like I'm helpful to not break down and that's what I did when I heard about the mugged iPhone. What was I supposed to do, implicate myself and get the man arrested on his own second-hand story? Thank god I have a good manager because I had an anxiety attack over the whole thing and I still have my job (maybe?), but Bae is basically MIA because she hates being sad when I'm depressed.

All of that shit. Fine. I can get all of that shit back and replace it but this fucking Xbox...

I'm sorry, I just can't with the world right now.

leehom

I did fucking everything for these people.

Sometimes it's better to let them resolve their situations on their own. Giving them hand outs only promotes the behavior and doesn't teach them responsibility. I make it a policy to never lend out or give money to friends. If they want a meal because they're broke? Maybe depending on how well I know them and if they're appreciative or habitual bums.

Izuna

Banned
Should I go to the police station now? It's 1:45 but maybe I can give a statement ASAP.

Sometimes it's better to let them resolve their situations on their own. Giving them hand outs only promotes the behavior and doesn't teach them responsibility. I make it a policy to never lend out or give money to friends. If they want a meal because they're broke? Maybe depending on how well I know them and if they're appreciative or habitual bums.

It's because...

Being around people who are in shit situations makes me unable to sleep or feel comfortable like I have to help in some way. My counsellors both told me I can't be like this but it's who I am. I just have to one day be surrounded by people who aren't garbage.

Since you have the serial number, can Microsoft support do anything on this?

Not just your serial number, give them every detail ranging from the model (the model of the console Core/Premium/Pro/Elite/S/E etc), the gamertags used on this console (login information if requested by their support), how many times it RROD'd and you got replaced etc.

Explain them calmly that it was stolen. Usually MSFT and SONY support are quite helpful in these scenarios. Worth a shot.

klaushm

Should I go to the police station now? It's 1:45 but maybe I can give a statement ASAP.

You are saying AM or PM? If it's safe to go, go anyway.

It doesn't sound like a nice neighborhood based only on your landlord and your ex-neighbours, but you are the one to give it a call.

RomeoDog

Banned
Alright. I know it's probably a no brainer and I know GAF isn't meant to be the personal help forum, I just want to do this right.
The police won't help you or give her a criminal record. Your missing her phone number and current residence.

best thing to do now is just wait. Your probably in grief.

leehom

It's because...

Being around people who are in shit situations makes me unable to sleep or feel comfortable like I have to help in some way. My counsellors both told me I can't be like this but it's who I am. I just have to one day be surrounded by people who aren't garbage.

Go now. The sooner you report it the better.

I understand how you feel, but look at the flip side. By constantly helping people that you think are in need, you are actually making them dependent on you. This over-reliance handicaps them from solving their own issues and causes them to continue the behavior of needing help. One of my cousins said it best when I asked for advice, he said "do nothing".

Maybe you offered to help them and wanted some satisfaction for doing a good deed. Perhaps you needed this more for yourself than they did. If they asked you, that's a different story and disregard the above sentences. If you went out of your way to help them, well maybe you're the one who needs help more than they do. There is a study that people who want to help others out all the time are the people who need to be comforted the most.

Izuna

Banned
You are saying AM or PM? If it's safe to go, go anyway.

It doesn't sound like a nice neighborhood based only on your landlord and your ex-neighbours, but you are the one to give it a call.

I mean, it's Salford. It's like Pleasantville in comparison to places I've lived in London.

--

I'm a little concerned about the serial number actually. When I look at my devices, it shows a black Xbox but it says Xbox 360 Core. It is supposed to be an S (I haven't used a Core model in almost a decade). Before I head out I'm gunna check other accounts I have logged in on there and see if it's definitely the right one.

SenkiDala

Can't you locate the person adress with her IP? I dunno about this maybe I watched too many movies.

But if you can then just go to the adress where the console is being used and ask for your console.

But yeah that sounds too simple.

Top Bottom