• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Night: IGN Article [Quack Quack Slurp Slurp]

ResoRai

KmpDjSb.png
Women got equal rights in this universe? Oh the horror!

What can this game possibly be about? It's such a messed up premise.

BajiBoxer

Banned
and? your post is still ridiculous lol. keep comparing apples to oranges.

I wasn't comparing apples to oranges. Do you really need me to break down the sentence so you can understand it? Mein Kampf wasn't my choice of example either.

Edit: Never mind. I see this is the first thread you ever posted in. I see where this is going, lol.

Edit 2: Yes, I responded to the troll. Couldn't help but give it one last shot.

Swatseal

Neo Member
Women got equal rights in this universe? Oh the horror!

What can this game possibly be about? It's such a messed up premise.

It's a game, the premise can be about whatever the creator wants. There are hundreds of games with a "messed up premise." I assume it will be based on extreme feminism that is more anti-male than about equal rights.

Buffalo

Banned
It's buried earlier in the thread, but the creator explicitly said the game is set in a dystopia where "feminism wins" or something equally stupid.

Does that matter, though? Criticism usually ignores authorial intent.

To be fair, someone else brought it up.

honestly just sounds like he was being stupid and said something moronic in some Twitter spat than anything relevant. I highly doubt that the game itself has anything blatantly political like that, mostly because none of the gameplay reflects as much.

I was thinking it would've been a lot worse, like it explicitly saying something like that in a title crawl or something.

I wasn't comparing apples to oranges. Do you really need me to break down the sentence so you can understand it? Mein Kampf wasn't my choice of example either.

lol you literally compared people buying this game to people buying from the Nazi party. don't be ridiculous.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
It's a game, the premise can be about whatever the creator wants. There are hundreds of games with a "messed up premise." I assume it will be based on extreme feminism that is more anti-male than about equal rights.

This is just missing the hashtags #gamergate #notyourshield

BajiBoxer

Banned
honestly just sounds like he was being stupid and said something moronic in some Twitter spat than anything relevant. I highly doubt that the game itself has anything blatantly political like that, mostly because none of the gameplay reflects as much.

I was thinking it would've been a lot worse, like it explicitly saying something like that in a title crawl or something.

lol you literally compared people buying this game to people buying from the Nazi party. don't be ridiculous.

I responded to a post that was comparing playing a game with reading Hitler's book. I just changed the example to be more like what was actually happening.

Ok kid, let me break it down for you sense you seem to be hung up on the Nazi example I was presented with:

Giving an author money for their book is the same as giving a game dev money for his game.

Thinking a book sounds fun when you know the premise is the same as saying a game looks fun when you know the premise.

Insert whatever name or organization you want with the comparison. In this case, Mein Kampf was the subject already, so of course Nazis/Hitler is automatically the comparison made. As I said already, I would have chosen a different subject, but it wasn't me who brought up the comparison. Why you seem unable to comprehend, I have no idea.

Fuck this dude and his game. You can't really separate the content from the creator when the content represents what is shitty about the creator. It's like if Chinatown were about raping 13 year old girls. The market rejecting his trash and it failing miserably would be a pretty hopeful sign.

Speely

Banned

Of course it can be about what the creator of the game wants. We are just calling him out for what he wants because it sucks.

See? Everyone has the freedom to express themselves. That's what we all want, RIGHT?

BTW, he referenced gamergate, which is not a reaction against "extreme feminism" by any means (by anyone's reasonable definition.) It's a hate cult who want women to shut the fuck up and be passive.

Buffalo

Banned
I responded to a post that was comparing playing a game with reading Hitler's book. I just changed the example to be more like what was actually happening.

Ok kid, let me break it down for you sense you seem to be hung up on the Nazi example I was presented with:

Giving an author money for their book is the same as giving a game dev money for his game.

Thinking a book sounds fun when you know the premise is the same as saying a game looks fun when you know the premise.

Insert whatever name or organization you want with the comparison. In this case, Mein Kampf was the subject already, so of course Nazis/Hitler is automatically the comparison made. As I said already, I would have chosen a different subject, but it wasn't me who brought up the comparison. Why you seem unable to comprehend, I have no idea.

except you used and expanded on that comparison lol. if you were so careful in making decent decent comparisons you wouldn't have played along with it. I don't know why you're so angry because I recognize you said something goofy, but maybe you should cool down.

Buffalo

Banned
Of course it can be about what the creator of the game wants. We are just calling him out for what he wants because it sucks.

See? Everyone has the freedom to express themselves. That's what we all want, RIGHT?

BTW, he referenced gamergate, which is not a reaction against "extreme feminism" by any means (by anyone's reasonable definition.) It's a hate cult who want women to shut the fuck up and be passive.

nah dude, GG is about ethics in journalism and making the industry a better place!
/s

Speely has been on point throughout this entire thread.

ResoRai

It's a shit premise but the creator has said it's not about that anymore so hopefully he's telling the truth.
That's incredibly hard to believe. I say that not just because of his Twitter activity, but because that's what the game was built upon. It's not just a couple moral lines of dialogue here and there, the game is about a "terrible future" where feminism won.

How the hell do you change something like that? Lol
What kind of game are the people who believe him expecting?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of those rare times i hold strong disgust for a game creator or anyone who avidly pursues this despite the context being clearly spelt out. Shame on you.

He has the right to make a game with any premise he chooses, but we also have the right to shit on it for the premise being terrible. Nobody is saying the game shouldn't be made we're just saying fuck this guy and his stupid game.

Swatseal

Neo Member
He has the right to make a game with any premise he chooses, but we also have the right to shit on it for the premise being terrible. Nobody is saying the game shouldn't be made we're just saying fuck this guy and his stupid game.

Fair enough. I think the premise sounds cool and the game looks cool. If anything it’s at least different.

Haunted

Visuals still look amazing. Hopefully gameplay can keep up and keep it interesting.

Premise seems pretty poor in terms of dystopian futures but I'll wait and see how it's actually executed in the game.

Magwik

Banned
That's it?

I must be missing something...
The meme is that oh this is cool I like this (Milkshake duck, The Last Night), but then you immediately find out it supports oppressive or worse views (duck is a Nazi, game is based around the idea of Feminism ruining the world)

Damn this game look AMAZING, Hong Kong and Tokyo inspired cyberpunk is one of my favorite concept.

EDIT: What the hell is ''GamerGate''? and why does it make this game bad?

This game is so damn beautiful. What a shame. If I'm going to skip Hat in Time for one Jontron line, this would be a hell of a thing to be hypocritical about.

Did Microsoft proudly lay claim to this game as an Xbox Exclusive? I know they openly advertised this GamerGate game at E3 with such pride, but did they also money-hat it?

I'm just curious how much Microsoft has been supportive of GamerGate and "their" games.

mnemonicj

I've kept my eye on this game, but didn't know what the premise was about or controversy behind it.

It looks beautiful, but it's about feminism taking over the world?
LOL, if so. Too bad, it looks promising.

When this game was briefly shown at E3 I was instantly interested in it because of how good it looked. Like the mod post in the OP said, this is pretty much a mix of everything I like. But I'll never buy this game. I can separate the art from the artist most of the time but it's a case by case thing and when the art itself reflects their fucked-up beliefs like this, there's just no way I can give the developer my money. It's a shame.

Cerium

Damn this game look AMAZING, Hong Kong and Tokyo inspired cyberpunk is one of my favorite concept.

EDIT: What the hell is ''GamerGate''? and why does it make this game bad?

The creator is racist and sexist and so is this game which is explicitly based on his fucked up political beliefs.

Put another way, if the creator was a video game character you'd be shooting him in Wolfenstein.

DirtyCase

Rain of Reflections and Copper Dreams are the other indie cyberpunk games to watch. (Narrative RPG with a Blade Runner-esque atmosphere and gritty 80s dilapidated cyberpunk CRPG, respectively)

I'm going to quote you so I can go back and look for these in the distant future.

The creator is racist and sexist and so is this game which is explicitly based on his fucked up political beliefs.

Put another way, if the creator was a video game character you'd be shooting him in Wolfenstein.

Wow really he is a racist guy!? but he seems to really like Hong Kong? What racist thing did he do??

MUnited83

For you.
What do those likes have to do with the game?
From a developer that said he's not a alt-right shithead anymore?

Quite a lot, actually. If he lied about how he is totally not a shithead anymore, why the fuck would you believe his claim that his game isn't full of this garbage anymore?

Well I guess he has his own ideology, maybe a shitty uneducated one, but I really doubt he is a racist person in heart.

In the end of the day, I still think we should appreciate he and his team's talent, the vision they had is just incredible. I am fine with supporting someone's artwork even though I disagree with their ideology completely.

I don't think the world is just ''good loving progressive people'' and ''evil hating racist and sexiest'' to be quite honest. Even if it is, maybe we can try talking to people from the other side and share each other's viewpoint instead. People can change, I've seen it so many times.

Top Bottom