• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are already speedrunning the Mario Odyssey in-store demo.

Two days ago, someone uploaded a clip of them beating the first set of "main missions" of the Mario Odyssey in-store demo in about 6 minutes and 40 seconds. I posted that video in the "in-store demo impressions" thread because I thought it was a cool one-time thing someone did, but apparently there is already a speedrunning community for the game popping up based solely on that timed 10 minute demo, haha.
------

From what I can tell there's basically two categories so far:
Demo%, which basically means 'completing the main missions' shown in the demo. There's three, and you have to do them in order because getting one straight up unlocks the next one, but there's still some cool skips people are finding here.

The three missions are "Atop the Highest Tower", "Moon Shards in the Sand" and "Showdown on the Inverted Pyramid". Defeat the boss at the end to finish.

First Ever Speedrun of Super Mario Odyssey! Demo% 7:10.23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNa0Ti3VxrQ

Super Mario Odyssey Demo% Speedrun in 6:39.07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKuNEZQjoX0

Super Mario Odyssey Demo% Speedrun in 5:28.05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o5N-9h_ncw

It's worth seeing both runs because some tricks are used in one while others are used in the other, and you could probably get a really good run mixing and matching. If you don't wanna watch the next video because you don't want to be spoiled on any extra moons, watch these, since they're basically covering what we saw on the E3 Treehouse. It should alleviate any concerns about movement you may still have.

------

The other category is just straight up getting as many moons as you can before the demo kicks you out. The record so far seems to be 17, and even if there's still room for improvement, this is already fantastic - keep in mind, again, that this is a timed 10-minute demo. The last moon is gotten seconds before the demo ends.

Super Mario Odyssey Demo - 17 Moons Speedrun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhXOybJoMD4

This one has probably my favourite trick of the three videos so far.
That double capture of the same bullet bill, hnnngh.

---

Some overall thoughts:
- Movement in the game seems to be straight up fantastic when you get the hang of it. The added Cappy Jump allows you to cover massive distances and saves jump by inches, and switching between rolls downhill and long jumps uphill seem like it'll be a must to get a good time.
- Risky captures seem to be a must too - long jump towards a bullet bill in the distance and capture it mid-air, over a pit, if you wanna save a couple of seconds.
- Unless there's another way to make a Bullet Bill move faster, it seems like you're gonna have to waggle when speedrunning to get that extra boost in speed. Might not matter in a shorter run, but it could make the longer, 100% runs, a bit annoying to do.
- Using Cappy to collect stuff is also prevalent - the taking notes palm tree challenge is done incredibly fast with Cappy. This might also help making co-op speedruns of this game a thing, with the second player being Cappy and helping Mario's movement.
- There seems to be some neat shortcuts cleverly hidden by camera angles.

So, what do y'all think? Do you wanna take a crack at speedrunning this game when it comes out? Or are you good just watching in awe? As much as I wanna try speedrunning it, I think I'll be good in the second camp, haha.

Surfside

Banned
Wow at that tower section where Mario becomes 2d, like in A Link between Worlds. Didn't know that was possible, yet. Can you roll endlessly or is it limited?

Wow at that tower section where Mario becomes 2d, like in A Link between Worlds. Didn't know that was possible, yet. Can you roll endlessly or is it limited?

As far as I know, it's endless - once you start a roll you slowly lose speed over time but you can 'restart' your roll to get more speed again. (I think you can do it through both buttons and waggling, but don't quote me on that) It seems to be, however, sensitive to where you are in the world, so you won't want to try rolling uphill because you'll come close to a dead stop, while rolling downhill gets you a lot of speed very quickly (again, at least from what I've seen. I haven't actually played it, haha)

"Mom tell that big kid I want a turn at the Mario game!"

Why do you think they want to do as much as possible in one demo session? Speedrunning was born from having to share your controller/return a rented game.
i don't actually know how speedrunning was born

Piscus

Unless there's another way to make a Bullet Bill move faster, it seems like you're gonna have to waggle when speedrunning to get that extra boost in speed. Might not matter in a shorter run, but it could make the longer, 100% runs, a bit annoying to do.

You can hold a button instead of waggling. I think it's Y.

kc44135

Man, I wish I could play this demo. It looks like it could be the second best Mario game ever. :/

I love watching Sunshine speedruns. This shit is going to be glorious

Indeed, speedruns of the best Mario game ever are quite fun to watch.

Surfside

Banned
As far as I know, it's endless - once you start a roll you slowly lose speed over time but you can 'restart' your roll to get more speed again. (I think you can do it through both buttons and waggling, but don't quote me on that) It seems to be, however, sensitive to where you are in the world, so you won't want to try rolling uphill because you'll come close to a dead stop, while rolling downhill gets you a lot of speed very quickly (again, at least from what I've seen. I haven't actually played it, haha)

Thank you for your explanation.

Saw Mario running in the air. Wonder if that was just invisible planks he was running on. He also can twirl in the air after his double jump, to reach even higher.

Dyle

Odyssey speedrunning is going to be fantastic. I wonder how long 100% will take, if it took 6:39 for 3 moons, and 15:00 for 17, maybe an average moon/min would come to about 1/min, when accounting for necessary story moons. Even that fast standard seems like we'd be looking at a 5+ hour minimum, which would be way longer than any other 3d game's any%. Should be very exciting to watch no matter what happens

Saw Mario running in the air. Wonder if that was just invisible planks he was running on. He also can twirl in the air after his double jump, to reach even higher.

Yeah, they're invisible planks.
The Moai enemies around the area can be captured to reveal their locations
, but there's been so much footage of this area out any speedrunners probably already have them memorized, haha.

Alrus

Those are invisible planks.
You're supposed to take control of the statues and their sunglasses allow you to see invisible stuff.

Baliis

- Using Cappy to collect stuff is also prevalent - the taking notes palm tree challenge is done incredibly fast with Cappy. This might also help making co-op speedruns of this game a thing, with the second player being Cappy and helping Mario's movement.

Can you say GDQ donation incentive?

The exploration looks great! I missed that feeling.

Edit: not that the players in the video are actually exploring, but I see all the stuff they're skipping and I'm like OH I WANT TO GO THERE.

Odyssey speedrunning is going to be fantastic. I wonder how long 100% will take, if it took 6:39 for 3 moons, and 15:00 for 17, maybe an average moon/min would come to about 1/min, when accounting for necessary story moons. Even that fast standard seems like we'd be looking at a 5+ hour minimum, which would be way longer than any other 3d game's any%. Should be very exciting to watch no matter what happens
Keep in mind we don’t know how many you need and that some moons come in a set of three at once, plus nobody has really had adequate time to explore the game and optimize stuff yet because these are just demo numbers

mas8705

Can't wait to see how long it will take to see those Speed Runs get posted up. It is one of the joys of Mario games when a new one comes out.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
WOO HOO

WOO HOO

WOO HOO

I can't wait to see a speedrun of this game but there is no way I'm watching one without muting it.

Gsnap

Wow. Nice trick the guy in the second video uses after getting the first moon. And there’s still so much more to go. This game is gonna he crazy.

spad3

i wanna see someone speed run to the store then speedrun the store to speedrun the demo then speedrun their wallet to speedrun the purchase to speedrun through the packaging to speedrun the game

traveler

Not Wario
How does the moveset in this compare to Sunshine or 64? I didn't see a triple jump and I hope the game's lateral stretches don't force long jump spam for optimization.

How does the moveset in this compare to Sunshine or 64? I didn't see a triple jump and I hope the game's lateral stretches don't force long jump spam for optimization.

A triple jump was actually the first thing shown of the game like, back when it appeared for six seconds in the Switch reveal trailer, haha. I think there's one directly shown in the 17 moons run, too? No need to worry on that regard. Everything points to a versatile moveset where you can easily chain different moves together.

traveler

Not Wario
A triple jump was actually the first thing shown of the game like, back when it appeared for six seconds in the Switch reveal trailer, haha. I think there's one directly shown in the 17 moons run, too? No need to worry on that regard. Everything points to a versatile moveset where you can easily chain different moves together.

Great! Interested to see how speedrunning this game evolves. Will be the first open world Mario 3d platformer I'll pay attention to the speedrunning for at release.

Top Bottom