• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time's Top 10 Video Games of 2017

Destiny 2 does not belong on that list. The game is boring, repetitive, poorly written and has so many design flaws (no in game chat or voice on pc) it is not even funny.

Edith Finch had a few sections that were superb but top 10 worthy? Too many games of higher caliber released for it to make my own list. Overlooking like Nex Machina, Divinity 2, Prey, Nier Automata, or Nioh in favor of Edith Finch is dubious.

xviper

RE7 wasn't even that good, people be trippin.

1\3 and 2\3 were amazing, not just because of the high quality content, but because we haven't had a game in this genre since probably RE:CV

3\3 was awful and a huge mistake

RE7 is in my top 5 best SP games of this generation

RE7 DLC 1( Banned footage Vol1) is one of the best dlcs i have ever played and i had MUCH more fun in this 1 hour dlc than games like Nier and Hellblade combined, not a lot of people played the DLCs of RE7, DLC 2 was disappointing, but DLC 1 was amazing and innovative, i highly recommend it

daniell

Considering that my goty games are Hollow knight, Res7 vr, Divinity original sin2 and now skyrim vr...
Yeah i can only explain this years lists with that they picked games based on how much was talked about them online, how much hype they generated and on sheer name recognition.
It all feels sooo transparent to me that even if this is not true no one can convince me otherwise lol

edit:
I am glad that they included What Remains of Edith Finch.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Prey was awesome. The sounds were always spot on (a mix of retro and sci-fi) and I enjoyed the level design. It was like this years Shock game.

Resident Evil 7 was one of my favorite games this year. The feeling like you were actually in a place of horror stood out more to me in RE7 than any of the other first person horror games.

Assassin's Creed Origin has awesome controls, probably some of the best to date. The hunting aspect is a lot of fun and so is exploring. I've watched my wife because she's playing it first. I love everything I'm seeing.

I enjoyed a few of the titles on this list, but I could argue that a few of them aren't for me. I have The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and I played that for like 10 minutes. It just didn't keep me interested.

RootCause

Not bad, not bad at all. Some fine games getting the recognition it deserves. Though, tad disappointed with the lack of RE7. Such a fun/scary game.

McDuck

Neo Member
Solid list. Good to see Mario+Rabbids getting the recognition it deserves. (I'd have it even higher frankly.)

Dunki

I wonder if these Mainstream journalists will ever give a game like Nier or Yakuza zero any consideration. They really deserve to be on such lists. Only hope for Yakuza will probably Giantbomb.... Otherwise sadly no chance.

Also Nier deserves a spot in there...

Si2k78

Wolfenstein, truly tragic. Critical success still needs to be backed up by commercial success. Let’s hope the switch version can provide some ample sales figures for the title.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Mario + Rabbids being ranked higher than Horizon Zero Dawn is a joke.

It's amazing, I would put it above Zelda (no idea about Horizon, but from the looks of it, it is pretty much Zelda without the puzzles, but more story / crafting instead, in which case I'd certainly put it above Horizon as well).

Zelda getting mainstream recognition is nice and well deserved. One of the easiest goty decisions in years.

I haven't yet played Nier, but from what I heard it should be in a top10 easily. Will definitely play it in the near future. :)

The list is ok. I think number 1 and 2 should have been swapped, but the rest is fine. Nice to see M + R there. Also we'll see a lot of top 10 lists with Mario or Zelda not being #1 just because the journalists will try to act "uniquely" and break the habit.

I have breath of the wild above Odyssey for my personal list as well. What a fantastic game.
Seeing Mario+rabbids being mentioned in top lists makes me want to check it out. I'm not too big on the genre but maybe it's worth checking out.

Toni

It's amazing, I would put it above Zelda (no idea about Horizon, but from the looks of it, it is pretty much Zelda without the puzzles, but more story / crafting instead, in which case I'd certainly put it above Horizon as well).

Then thats why you need to play it lol.

Its about the gameplay and the moment to moment combat with the robots in the open world. The story is the sweet icing on the top. There isnt anything like it this gen.

Theres definetly a case to be made with Mario rabbids being above it.

Senua

Then thats why you need to play it lol.

Its about the gameplay and the moment to moment combat with the robots in the open world. The story is the sweet icing on thr top. There isnt anything like it this gen.

Theres definetly a case to be made with Mario rabbids being above it.

The story is great, the combat isn't the best, it's way overhyped.

Ubername

Banned
The story is great, the combat isn't the best, it's way overhyped.

Yea ofc. Anything that gets straight 10's across the board is overscored/overhyped etc. Almost wish people would not give scores for flagship games like Zelda/GTA whatever. It's always gonna be 1 reviews site trying to out-boner the last with some crazy hyperbole lines. Absolutely annoying.

Mr Moose

10 Destiny 2 - What? Why?
7 PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - Is this even a full game? (It's a beta or some shit right? One map, ~100 people?)

I thought everyone loved Nier Automata. No Resi Evil 7? Hmm.

Nioh is not making any GOTY lists, so buckle down and get used to it now.

It's good but it's no Bloodborne. Maybe better than Destiny 2 though lol (I stopped playing that over a month ago).

Now we can all finally stop the HZD vs BOTW debate right?

Anyway, pretty good list, though imo PUBG is not a very well polished game and Xenoblade 2 might've been able to compete for a spot.

Can't complain with that top 2 and it's same as mine. A bit surprised to see Mario+Rabbids up there but it's definitely deserving. I'd expect Zelda to be an obvious GOTY on most of the lists. Can't get enough of it even after 300+ hours.

The newest game in one of the biggest game franchises of all time is getting recognition? I for one am shocked!

IMO Zelda is the biggest game franchise of all time in terms of sheer continued excellence. It's the gold standard in the industry and it has been since the first game or at least since ALttP.

Fizggig

Neo Member
I'm protesting that Divintiy Original Sin 2 needs to be on the nominees. Also why is Horizon number 9....lol

Top Bottom