• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 8•04-06•17 - Man in Black kidnaps #1, Dun' not done son, Woman nears $400m DOM

Corpsepyre

Banned
I mean if it doesn't even open to $35 million, then it should be a bad sign for Warner Bros. It seems rather expensive and I think the budget is around $150 million.

I am still sticking with my expectations of between $20 to $30 million.

The more important question is whether it'll be any good. I'm really hoping it is, but visually, atleast, it looks like every other cyberpunk/sci-fi film we're getting. Total Recall remake, Ghost in the Shell come to mind, especially. I wanted something more unique, but I guess that's not happening.

kswiston

The more important question is whether it'll be any good. I'm really hoping it is, but visually, atleast, it looks like every other cyberpunk/sci-fi film we're getting. Total Recall remake, Ghost in the Shell come to mind, especially. I wanted something more unique, but I guess that's not happening.

You must have watched different trailers than I did. The Total Recall remake looked extremely generic. Ghost in the Shell had some decent art direction, but it didn't look like Bladerunner aside from the Eastern influences.

GhaleonEB

John Wick dropped 45% in its first weekend. Atomic Blonde dropping 55% is definitely a bit harder but it's not a disaster or bomb. Should end up with ~$50m DOM against a $30m budget, with international still mostly to come in. It will probably be profitable.

Corpsepyre

Banned
You must have watched different trailers than I did. The Total Recall remake looked extremely generic. Ghost in the Shell had some decent art direction, but it didn't look like Bladerunner aside from the Eastern influences.

Yeah well, looked quite similar, those films. Atleast to me. Not saying Blade Runner looks BAD. Just that we've seen that look countless times now. I quite liked the Las Vegas scenes, but everything else felt and looked drab-ish in comparison. The day scenes didn't impress too much either. Overtly digital and clean being another problem.

Yeah, I've been wondering if Atomic Blonde is gonna end up more or less following the first John Wick's pattern, which was to have a quiet little run at the domestic box-office, get discovered and championed on home video, and return with a slightly bigger sequel that gets much bigger box-office reciepts as a result.

John Wick dropped 45% in its first weekend. Atomic Blonde dropping 55% is definitely a bit harder but it's not a disaster or bomb. Should end up with ~$50m DOM against a $30m budget, with international still mostly to come in. It will probably be profitable.
Atomic Blonde 2 is coming then. This time written by Suda 51.

Anth0ny

No miracle needed, $475m DOM/$600m OS. We want the gold, sucka!

If it reviews well critically, it's happening.

If it reviews poorly but momentum is strong enough coming off Wonder Woman and she's the centre of the marketing, it's probably happening.

If it reviews like complete shit and WW feels forgotten by November... it'll be BvS all over again.

Why can't I shake the feeling that the latter option will become the reality? >_<

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If it reviews well critically, it's happening.

If it reviews poorly but momentum is strong enough coming off Wonder Woman and she's the centre of the marketing, it's probably happening.

If it reviews like complete shit and WW feels forgotten by November... it'll be BvS all over again.

Why can't I shake the feeling that the latter option will become the reality? >_<

Because you keep reading DCEU threads on NeoGAF.com?

Nev

Banned
Well, summer movie season is officially over. I'll see you cats in October when Blade Runner 2049 opens to 96% RT and $60 million opening weekend domestic.

Blade Runner 2049 is going to be a bomba the magnitude of Ghost in the Shell.

200 million budget hahaha.

On second thought GITS might be too optimistic. Let's say Valerian levels of nuke.

kswiston

Justice League only needs Thor 2 level reviews to coast off the "DCEU recovers in 2017!" narrative. BvS and Suicide Squad set the bar so low that Wonder Woman looked like a miracle, and anything with a red tomato is going to look good.

Blade Runner 2049 is going to be a bomba the magnitude of Ghost in the Shell.

200 million budget hahaha.

On second thought GITS might be too optimistic. Let's say Valerian levels of nuke.

Check the bottom of your shoes guys, Nev's back.

Justice League only needs Thor 2 level reviews to coast off the "DCEU recovers in 2017!" narrative. BvS and Suicide Squad set the bar so low that Wonder Woman looked like a miracle, and anything with a red tomato is going to look good.

Yeah, C+ and above is probably going to be good enough for Justice League to skate through.

Anth0ny

Because you keep reading DCEU threads on NeoGAF.com?

giphy.gif

kswiston

You guys just reminded me Arrival got robbed with how little money that movie made, it deserved more.

Arrival did well considering that it was a film dealing with Alien linguistics and non linear time. There were what? Two action scenes in the entire thing?

$100M domestic and $200M worldwide is good for that subject matter.

I know, i was speaking merely from the perspective of how much i enjoyed it versus how much i wanted it to make based on that enjoyment. It did alright considering its budget and how unmarketable it kinda is for the mainstream audience.

Worldwide updates

Despicable Me 3 - $879M (now the top gross of the summer)
Wonder Woman - $794M
Pirates 5 - $781M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $671M
Transformers 5 - $583M
Dunkirk - $314M
Cars 3 - $286M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $278M
Baby Driver - $155M

Also from the last thread, Wolf Warrior 2 has now grossed $469M in China after a second weekend of $162M (giving it the largest second weekend in a single territory). Domestically the film has made $1M in two weekends.
Did WW debut in Japan already? I'm guessing a $800m worldwide is a lock right?

WillyFive

Damn man. Poor Planet of the Apes. They made a great movie, but it was certainly not your standard action movie blockbuster.

Really should not have called it 'War'.

Why would the title be responsible? It's a great title. The big issue was that every marketing material and the movie's own footage made it look like the previous movie. The director should have gone with a more evolved and different color scheme and art direction (like Dawn did from Rise), that way the general audience could tell it was a new movie.

tomtom94

Yeah, I've been wondering if Atomic Blonde is gonna end up more or less following the first John Wick's pattern, which was to have a quiet little run at the domestic box-office, get discovered and championed on home video, and return with a slightly bigger sequel that gets much bigger box-office reciepts as a result.

The problem with this is I see so many people comparing it (unfavourably) to John Wick I don't see it getting that "wow this is so good you have to see it" factor. It'll always be the "Well I checked this out because I liked John Wick and..."

kswiston

How come the world's 3rd biggest movie market (Japan) continues to get big Hollywood films so goddamn late so consistently? It's not rare to see a big release having Japan as their last market to open in! Why?

Someone posted a response about this a month or two back. It's a combination of a few things.

1) I believe that Japan is one of those countries that prefers their foreign films dubbed. That can slow things down unless the studio plans ahead for a simultaneous release.

2) Japan's home movie market is robust, and is more popular with local viewers than Hollywood's offerings. As such, Hollywood films have to take big local releases into consideration.

3) Adding to point #2, Japan has surprisingly few theatre screens given its populace. Exhibitors are cautious to certain films over others, as popular films can have extremely leggy runs. A big film winning 6 straight weekends in Japan is not that unusual. Domestically, even the Force Awakens only managed to hit #1 for four weekends. So films have more elaborate marketing campaigns in Japan to get exhibitioners on board. I guess big success in other markets also counts as a selling point to get your film played.

How come the world's 3rd biggest movie market (Japan) continues to get big Hollywood films so goddamn late so consistently? It's not rare to see a big release having Japan as their last market to open in! Why?

Movie tickets are considerably more expensive, there are far fewer theaters per capita in japan than any other western country, and marketing tactics are weird in Japan in that its been found time and time again the most effective movie campaign to actually get people into theaters is "This movie is extremely popular in the rest of the world", which obviously takes extra time to (a) happen (b) portray correctly in ads (its not just movie is popular, but like "French people found this movie very scary!")

Movies also are a different experience there, with most having booths inside theaters that sell merchandise (like INSANE amounts) and all that requires extra approval time from the studios, manufacturing time, etc since the studio will generally not leak character and plot info to the Japanese distributors just to create extra merch in Japan.

I'm a little surprised at how surprised Bigelow was at Detroit not doing well. In this current time period watching a movie about how bad race relations can be doesn't seem to be a thing most people are gonna want to watch to escape reality. Another surprise though was how critical reception seems to be a bit uneven, I wonder if that hurts its Oscar chances.

Movie tickets are considerably more expensive, there are far fewer theaters per capita in japan than any other western country, and marketing tactics are weird in Japan in that its been found time and time again the most effective movie campaign to actually get people into theaters is "This movie is extremely popular in the rest of the world", which obviously takes extra time to (a) happen (b) portray correctly in ads (its not just movie is popular, but like "French people found this movie very scary!")

Movies also are a different experience there, with most having booths inside theaters that sell merchandise (like INSANE amounts) and all that requires extra approval time from the studios, manufacturing time, etc since the studio will generally not leak character and plot info to the Japanese distributors just to create extra merch in Japan.

I'm a little surprised at how surprised Bigelow was at Detroit not doing well. In this current time period watching a movie about how bad race relations can be doesn't seem to be a thing most people are gonna want to watch to escape reality. Another surprise though was how critical reception seems to be a bit uneven, I wonder if that hurts its Oscar chances.
You mean in the theater but not inside the actual screening room right? I wonder if WB will sell many WW figurines over there.

Thanks for the responses! The movie experience does seem to be an entirely different beast in Japan!

kswiston

Valerian is sitting at $79M worldwide now.

I'm not sure if that is counting all international territories though, as Comscore is only listing 14 (and IMDB's list of release dates suggest that it is out in at least 30 territories currently).

King Arthur will probably prevent it from being the bomb of the year among the $100M+ budget bracket.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I would like to calmly and gently ask everyone to cease all discussion of Valerian. Please and thank you.

Why would the title be responsible? It's a great title. The big issue was that every marketing material and the movie's own footage made it look like the previous movie. The director should have gone with a more evolved and different color scheme and art direction (like Dawn did from Rise), that way the general audience could tell it was a new movie.
I feel like so many people were going into that movie expecting a big epic showdown between the apes and humans, with tons of action scenes. When they didn't get that, they probably spread around to their friends that the movie was 'boring' or something like that, ensuring that lots of people didn't bother to go see it.

Maybe I'm wrong, just a theory.

kswiston

thank you for reminding me that i should try and catch it in the cinema soon seeing as it'll probably have a short run

If you are in the US/Canada and aren't in a large city, you could be out of luck as soon as this Friday. Valerian's third weekend was worse than King Arthur's and Ghost in the Shell's. I will be surprised if it is in much more than 800 venues by next weekend.

If that were the case you'd think we'd have more gifs of it by now.

GAF is waiting for those 30MB bluray transfer gifs.

Arrival is a very different movie than Blade Runner (and is being sold differently), and reaction to Arrival was very positive after-the-fact. It didnt' open strong, but I'm arguing that Arrival's final reception might lay the groundwork for larger reciepts this time out when Villeneuve's name is paired with a recognizable "brand" like Blade Runner, such as it is. I don't know why, of all the comparison points, you picked Mission Impossible, either.

I think calling 2049 to open between 20-30mil OW is pretty lowball.

It just seems like a film with a limited audience, especially if copies the distinct visual / storytelling style of Blade Runner, which itself was not considered audience-friendly film. Plus its budget is so big, that it needs to make a lot of money overseas anyway.

- J - D -

Detroit did even worse than I had predicted, though I'm not really surprised. It's interesting, two movies lead by black actor(s) come out the same weekend, and despite how poorly one reviewed, I think an argument can be made that audiences would rather see a heroic black lead doing cool stuff than yet another movie about AA's being abused and mistreated victims (no matter how lauded it has been). Well, at least during this season.

UraMallas

Is the Dark Tower that bad? My wife and I were interested in seeing it.

It's great! I've read the books through twice and it takes some inspiration from the books but is definitely its own thing. Concise, easy to follow, entertaining and well acted for the uninitiated.

Schlorgan

My wife's job took people that had perfect attendence to see a movie. It was going to be Spider-Man, but one person in the group insisted on Valerian instead, so that's the one my wife saw.

She didn't love it.

Theecliff

Banned
If you are in the US/Canada and aren't in a large city, you could be out of luck as soon as this Friday. Valerian's third weekend was worse than King Arthur's and Ghost in the Shell's. I will be surprised if it is in much more than 800 venues by next weekend.
uk my friend! i only have monday's free for outings at the moment and i don't really trust valerian to have any worthwhile screenings in the local cinema a week on from now so i might be trying to catch it tomorrow. there's been a few films that ive wanted to see but missed in the cinema this year so even if valerian isn't indeed great at least i won't have wasted my opportunity to see it on the big screen. also helps that i can get tickets for half price tomorrow!

kswiston

My wife's job took people that had perfect attendence to see a movie. It was going to be Spider-Man, but one person in the group insisted on Valerian instead, so that's the one my wife saw.

She didn't love it.

How long have Chamber and your wife worked together?

Top Bottom