• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter on PS5: Bets on 2020 launch now, PS4 Pro to become "default PS4"

Prediction:

No change in platform sales strategy from current-gen.

PS5 will be PS5. The base model for a new gen... just as PS4 was.

PS4 and PS4 Pro will continue to be sold even with PS5's release... just as PS3 was.

3-4 years into PS5 generation will introduce mid-gen upgrade, PS5 Pro. Same as PS4 Pro, there will be no exclusives and is merely a more powerful version of the base new-gen console.

Pro devices will never be default.

Yep, this is it.

Shin

Banned
With all the BC findings and what's not I'm just buying games without having a PS4.
Hopefully it all pans out when PS5 releases and I'll be able to play the best version of said games then.
Until then I'll keep focusing on buying CSGO top5 skins and patiently wait for the next-generation.
Late 2020 is inline with what I expect, I just hope the machine itself isn't a letdown graphically/ in terms of power.

Interesting take! Personally, I don't see Sony wanting the PS4 Pro to have any kind of forward-compatibility with PS5. At best, I expect that PS5 will have full PS4 backwards compatibility but that's about it. Even then, I wouldn't be fully surprised to see them continue to treat PSNow as their BC solution.

I'm not sure about a date, but I'd also be willing to bet that PS5 comes out before whatever the next Xbox is by at least a year.

cakely

Prediction:

No change in platform sales strategy from current-gen.

PS5 will be PS5. The base model for a new gen... just as PS4 was.

PS4 and PS4 Pro will continue to be sold even with PS5's release... just as PS3 was.

3-4 years into PS5 generation will introduce mid-gen upgrade, PS5 Pro. Same as PS4 Pro, there will be no exclusives and is merely a more powerful version of the base new-gen console.

Pro devices will never be default.

This is a safe, and sane, prediction.

Mid-gen upgrades will never be the default. You don't throw 60 million of your userbase under the bus.

Interesting take! Personally, I don't see Sony wanting the PS4 Pro to have any kind of forward-compatibility with PS5. At best, I expect that PS5 will have full PS4 backwards compatibility but that's about it. Even then, I wouldn't be fully surprised to see them continue to treat PSNow as their BC solution.

I like my Pro, but frankly every game which is possible on a PS4 Pro is possible on a standard PS4 as well, given they basically share the same CPU and memory solution and are only separated by a befier GPU.

If PS5 offers out-of-the-box BC to PS4 games (w/o any patches) this would be a huge switching trigger for all those who already purchased a huge retail and especially digital PS4 library, including all those PS+ games. It would also kill the "has no gamz" problem at the beginning.

McHuj

While I've always been betting on 2020, Pachter's logic is poor. It takes at least 3-4 years to develop a console. The decision has already been made when the next PS5 will launch and won't be based on how PS4 sales look in 2 years.

2020 feels right because new process technology should be readily available and cheap enough (7nm, GDDR6, maybe even HBM).

Ahasverus

Sony (And MS) is stuck until AMD makes a good future proof Ryzen CPU for consoles.

Scorpio is already pushing well beyond its weight in regards to cost, and it's a late 2017 console. I don't see a $400 2019 one being a generational leap over it.

My prediction is 2021.

He's right about 2020. I've been saying 2020 since launch. Any sooner is nonsense. As for the Pro being the default. I doubt it, but it really depends on how much competition the XBX. If the XBX performs similar to the pro. Then I predict the pro'd relevance will be the same as it is now, an after thought. But if the XBX does really well. The I could see Sony really pushing the Pro.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol. Hilarious. Didnt he recently say PS5 was going to be a half step and release in 2018 based on NO previous trends and data?

Everyone knew this was going to be a 7 year gen just like last gen seeing as how it had a slow start and how successful it was.

Besides, the tech needs to catch up to Sony and a 2018 release wouldnt have given them a cheap yet powerful GPU with an equally powerful CPU to make sure they dont repeat the same mistake again next gen.

2020 should be enough for a 12 tflop GPU with a decent CPU for $400-450. Maybe 15 tflop if Sony engineers can work their magic.

They had ZERO problems releasing God of War Ascension, TLOU, GT6 and Beyond on the PS3 the year PS4 launched. They will not delay TLOU2 to do a simultaneous launch on PS5 unless it gets delayed because of development issues.

I doubt the Pro becomes default PS4 either. That's just silly talk. Sony's biggest trump card is generational leaps. they arent going to make a 12-15 tflop console and have it be hamstrung by a 4 tflop last gen GPU. Whats the matter with this guy?

DonF

Pro will never be default. Wtf is this even...
Ps4 amateur will be the cheap option, and it will get to the point that it will turn into a impulse buy, a gateway console even.
"oh look how cheap is that ps4, lets buy it...wait...what about that pro version? oh just $X more, ok lets buy that one"

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
nah. maybe 2020. but there's no point to Pro becoming "baseline unit"

I think we'll see a PS4 super slim that may not have a disk drive as the cheapest option with a Pro Slim taking the price point of the current Slim at some point.

i never understood the "sell a console without a disc drive for less money!", a disc drive is absolutely peanuts as a cost compared to the rest of the machine...and they would never be able to sell a PS4 without the features the other PS4s have, are they going to disable the dvd and blu ray drive functionalities of the OS or just lock them off and then piss off retailers by daring to try that?

GermanZepp

I agree, I think the system has been pushed back until 2020. I thought 2019 would be the launch for a while but with PS4 just now peaking this year I could see them wanting to give PS4 a bit more room to breath.

2019 is still possible though of course

we agree a lot , we sould be buddies

Fularu

Banned
It physically can't be any shorter. Unless you want another mobile CPU in there.
You're going to get APUs in every future generation, the age of single cpu and single gpu is prety much over since it's not going to be financially viable to go that route.

Also APUs are getting better and better and AMD's lead there is only going to grow wider (since nVidia can't compete on that front and Intel is happy with just licensing tech)

FTF

I've thought 2020 for a while now too, so possibly the first time I've agreed with the Pach ha.

Death Stranding and LoU2 to have a simultaneous PS4-PS5 launch.

TLoU2 will be out well before 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Nov 2018 release...but an early 2019 seems more likely perhaps.

I think sales will start to decline badly in 2019 like how the numbers for the 360 and Wii and PS3 were terrible by the end of their lives, but the technology probably isn't ready until 2020 so I can't tell which would be right to bet on.

I've thought 2020 for a while now too, so possibly the first time I've agreed with the Pach ha.

TLoU2 will be out well before 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Nov 2018 release...but an early 2019 seems more likely perhaps.

Have more than 30 people been working on TLoU2 outside of the last month.

PlayStation Meeting in February 2019
E3 2019 full-reveal
Launch November 2019.

I agree with this, keeps the base ps4 having a nice long , but not too long, 6 year lifespan, and the pro a 3 year lifespan that can be cut down in price to 250$ or less for the 2019 xmas rush, maybe in a slimmer, cheap to produce model. Keeps the profit margins nice and fat for Sony, and a console to sell at an attractive mainstream price, makes it easier for devs to do cross gen games as well.

2020 is just too long for the PS4 base, by then it'll be ancient tech and the cpu will severely hold it back, plus why give up a first mover advantage over ms? It's highly unlikely MS will get another machine ready for 2 years, and they'll release their next machine in 2020. Having a year on the market with the ps5 will do wonders for Sony, we saw it with nvidia for the past year with pascal selling nicely and vega being a damp squib a year later, give that up for continued high sales of a low margin product? Nah, they can have both with the pro, a product that they can have flexible price scaling on thanks to the architecture and sell for a decent price, whilst getting the more premium, early adopter market with the ps5.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Would they be developing several different models and then choose one based on the year that they decide to release? Or how does stuff like this generally work?

Eg a “2019” model and a “2020” model, both of which reach the targeted price point in those years?
That can sometimes happen, where they will show developers two scenarios and ask which they would prefer, but once that's set, it can also come down to hardware development difficulties, like a key part getting delayed 6 months.

It was always going to be 2020, don't know why anyone thought otherwise. 2019 is too soon especially for a console doing so well.
Don't ever see the pro becoming the default either.

jelly

I just don't see why Sony should rush 2019, Microsoft just about to releas Scorpio and they aren't going to off that two years in and there is always the games, they take ages to make, you would be hitting 2019 with just cross gen games from your biggest studios at best with 2 years + of nothing.

PS4/Pro are one and same, Patcher talking nonsense. It will always be a contained gen while PS5 is separate with BC.

silva1991

It isn't coming before 2019 people. Thing is still like hotcakes and won't stop until GTA6 comes out ;)

A whole generation with no new GTA is kinda fucked up

nampad

If there's a chance to get a year head-start Microsoft should take it in 2019.

It's their best chance to regain some market share.

I was about to say that the PS5 timing depends on the next Xbox platform but then I remembered that the XBX is just launching this year.
Would be crazy if Microsoft launches a new console just 2 years after the XBX just to piss of their hardcore fans.

Top Bottom