• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC DLC!!! (Play as Vergil)

And what's the problem with thinking that? If you're developing a game with the mindset of releasing stuff post-release, you're gimping the game while you develop it.

Not if you are spending more development money than you would otherwise because you know you'll be making it back because you are charging for DLC

Gbraga

Absolutely if it delayed the game. Developers having to completely yield to a publisher's whim on release schedule is what's started the entire nickel and diming practice, as well as the release of broken Day 1 games.

As an RE6 player, I think you could appreciate that. Them taking some time out and adding a legitimate tutorial to the game would have completely changed a lot of peoples' impressions, as well as them taking some time out to change the camera options. They didn't do it and first impressions were lukewarm.

Completely agree, I love RE6's combat and I'm already sad that they'll probably cut it from next games because of the misplaced complains.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So you didn't buy DMC3CE? They could've been sitting on that content before release...

I did. I've already stated numerous times why I think that it's a differenet situation entirely, and not really comparable to the DLC distribution model.

To all you DLC supporters, let me ask you. How did game developers afford to put additional characters and modes in their games during the PS2 era?

Yes. Because a game is a complete package., not a mainline story. A good portion of my PS2 games have extra modes, side stories, and characters. Those were developed before release because the developers wanted to flesh out aspects of the game and improve it, so those were put on the disc. The removal of those things make it incomplete.

What makes a complete game is subjective. By the same token Bloody Palace and secret missions should be DLC because they are not part of the main content/campaign of the game. You could argue the game would still be complete without them.

We have no idea how it long it takes to develop these ideas, what the budget is, the manpower to create an entire new character, new levels, weapons, environments, bosses, voice acting, sound design, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, the DmC you're getting is the exact same one you were or were not getting yesterday, before any of this was even brought up. If it was worth your money then, it should be worth your money now. If you think the dessert should be included with the entree to be "complete", that's on you.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
We have no idea how it long it takes to develop these ideas, what the budget is, the manpower to create an entire new character, new levels, weapons, environments, bosses, voice acting, sound design, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, the DmC you're getting is the exact same one you were or were not getting yesterday, before any of this was even brought up. If it was worth your money then, it should be worth your money now. If you think the dessert should be included with the entree to be "complete", that's on you.

Of course it's on us. I don't think anyone's arguing that. What is acceptable is different to different people.

Is there another form of entertainment where practices like these would be acceptable? I'm really asking.

Directors cuts of movies, straight to dvd sequels, exclusive bonus tracks on albums, soft cover versions of books with extra chapters, paying to join a website to gain bonus material/remove ads, those were just off the top of my head

I did. I've already stated numerous times why I think that it's a differenet situation entirely, and not really comparable to the DLC distribution model.

To all you DLC supporters, let me ask you. How did game developers afford to put additional characters and modes in their games during the PS2 era?

Um...because it was less expensive to create the games in the first place? Did you really have to ask that?

Edit: sorry for double post, I figured there would be responses after my last one

Dahbomb

Plans for DLCs are incorporated into the game design document very early in a game's development process nowadays. The Vergil DLC was most likely planned from the start to be post release DLC. While it's true that they didn't exactly make the full game and then cut out Vergil's missions to be sold as DLC... it was a conscious decision beforehand that the Vergil segment would be a separate entity from the main game on day 1.

And before anyone accuses me of working with Capcom or some garbage statement like that... I do have enough friends working in the gaming industry to know what goes on there.

I don't personally agree with this practice at all. I believe that whatever they plan for a game in the initial GDD is what the consumer should be getting on day 1 for their $60. After the game is released the developers/publishers should come back to the game and assess what they can add on top of it or improve it. I also realize that even when something is intended to be a full package in the GDD, sometimes stuff gets cut from it due to scheduling or release dates and that cut stuff sort of hangs in limbo until it is either used in a sequel (like from Darksiders 1 to DS2) or an expansion.

The best DLC of this generation is still the first Burnout Paradise DLC. It was completely free post release content after which they worked on more post release content and then charged for that.

Um...because it was less expensive to create the games in the first place? Did you really have to ask that?
But games also cost $10 less back then.

ultron87

Because it was less expensive to make games back then and game prices have not gone up to match the increase in development costs.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Games are also selling for more, and there are a higher population of people playing. I'll concede that budgets for games today are outrageous, but their focus should be on making a better product and selling more copies, not stripping features.

Yes, I understand that fairies don't come around and make DLC, but in my ideal world, a pre-release team would not be devoted to DLC when they could be working on the main game, either refining it or speeding up the development process. All hands should be devoted to making the main game as good as it can possibly be. Once the game is released, it's released, and you can focus on additions.

You can then argue that you're getting an incomplete game that way. Resources and manpower were diverted away from the main game in order to make the DLC. They didn't hire an outside firm to create the DLC. They made an internal staff team.

Korigama

Because it was less expensive to make games back then and game prices have not gone up to match the increase in development costs.
Yet how expensive is it for them to be developing this game compared to previous gen titles in the series, especially when considering that it's outsourced? How expensive is it compared to this gen's DMC4 even, which included two playable characters by default?

They didn't, they waited and did repackings with extra content, ports and "sequels" that added small amounts of content. They also didn't do it so much back then because there was no infrastructure for it. If you don't think Mario, Zelda, FF, Street Fighter and all your favorite games from back in the day wouldn't have had dlc because of morals I don't know what to say. Heck, even in Japan super old school games had dlc and extra quests via stuff like flash cards and Satellaview and it was largely Nintendo who people hold as the last bastion of console purity.

Kamiya on Bayonetta DLC said:
We will have score ranking in the game. As for download contents... With Bayonetta being an action game, I want you to buy the hell out of it, and then play the hell out of. So I'm not giving any thought to download contents and the like after you purchase the game.

Now this is a good developer.

Zaventem

I would say i get this really good feeling when something i've been hating on ending up like this, but the truth is i was actually hoping just a little bit it would be a great spin off.Another capcom game i'm avoiding.

How did game developers afford to put additional characters and modes in their games during the PS2 era?

I don't even know how to approach such a question, but let me try.

First, budgets were different. The amount of people working on a game were different, and time schedules were different. So I've already established the apples vs. oranges scenario going on here. Secondly, anything a developer designs is a given input. Said input, requires "X" amount of resources. In todays games, the pricing and profit margrins are mostly the same, yet the amount of input has exponentially increased. HD games, higher audio/visual demands from the consumers, escalation of gameplay experiences etc. Because more input is required, additional money and development team is becoming more and more sparse, thus - you have less opportunity and resources to implement "additional/secret characters and modes" in a particular game. You certainly can, but that would require an increase in "input" - that can apparently only be recouped via DLC costs.

Again, if you're interested in the game. There is an option to acquire this DLC for free. If you're not interested in the DLC, but are of the game - than nothing as changed. The game that you were interested is the same game that has been advertised in the past several months. If you're not getting this game, than you're obviously not getting the DLC.

Directors cuts of movies, straight to dvd sequels, exclusive bonus tracks on albums, soft cover versions of books with extra chapters, paying to join a website to gain bonus material/remove ads, those were just off the top of my head
Aside from the straight to DVD sequels (I'm not sure why you thought to include those) those are decent examples.

The big difference here though, and the reason why people are getting increasingly pissed off at Capcom DLC, is that in those examples you never think that content is possibly being held back because those artist or directors want to exploit their fans for extra money. Bluray director's cuts are starting to approach that level consumer contempt (the LotR being the most obvious example) but as a whole it doesn't feel nearly as smarmy as what Capcom's been doing.

SFxT and DmC DLC both contain characters that arguably should be part of the main game and not optional downloads. I'm not going to argue that is definitely what Capcom is doing but it feels that way to me and it's only going to get worse if people continue to support it.

Dahbomb

You honestly couldn't figure out I meant net?
I know exactly what you said but we don't really know exactly how much development costs have increased in relation to price differentials and how they actually need DLCs to recoup their dev costs.

Like for example... how many DLCs does a COD game REALLY need to make up the cost of its development? Sure a current COD game costs way more to make but it also sells way more than before.

There is really not enough hard data to be saying what is justified and what isn't. All we can do is share our feelings as a consumer while the developers talk about rising dev costs and how DLCs are a "necessity" these days. Not only that but in this particular case DmC is being outsourced which one has to assume is to cut costs.

I will continue to never buy DLC like these and I won't start with this game either. I just hope other consumers share the same feeling as me which obviously they don't because DLCs have become a standard this gen since the demand is there.

Elginer

Completely agree, I love RE6's combat and I'm already sad that they'll probably cut it from next games because of the misplaced complains.

Ditto. I imagine the next RE will be slow and once again put tank controls in. Then everyone will cheer! The one's who enjoyed RE6 will groan and be pissed.

Is not the first time, but I'm always surprised when some people in GAF defends DLC that is made in the development cycle of a 60$/€ game.

I think im going to enjoy this game only because i wasn't much of fan of the other ones in the series so i can look at it in a new refreshing way without holding anything against it...I don't know maybe something is wrong with me but it looks fun to play <_<

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

First, budgets were different. The amount of people working on a game were different, and time schedules were different. So I've already established the apples vs. oranges scenario going on here. Secondly, anything a developer designs is a given input. Said input, requires "X" amount of resources. In todays games, the pricing and profit margrins are mostly the same, yet the amount of input has exponentially increased. HD games, higher audio/visual demands from the consumers, escalation of gameplay experiences etc. Because more input is required, additional money and development team is becoming more and more sparse, thus - you have less opportunity and resources to implement "additional/secret characters and modes" in a particular game. You certainly can, but that would require an increase in "input" - that can apparently only be recouped via DLC costs.

I'm not saying I like this - because I agree: Instead of making it a Free DLC via gamestop pre-order, they should instead of made it an incentive for new game purchases. That way people who don't want to or can't shop at gamestop or EB games have access to this DLC for free like others. But I'm sure, GAF would have still complained - citing that Capcom is violating their god given right to buy used games for having free DLC as a bonus for purchasing new. If I was Capcom I'd just not have made this additional Vergil content to begin with. The main game is going to be the main game, whether or not one knows about this DLC's existence either way. Would you rather have a completely new designed Vergil campaign...sure, most people would say yes. Should you take advantage of the fact that you can this DLC for free by pre-ordering, sure - if you like what you play when the demo comes out. But judging by the reactions here, Capcom should just hit the delete button on this extra campaign. Silly for them to think like that, considering the main game is what it is, and you have the option to not pre-order or not get the DLC.

I appreciate the response, but it still doesn't sit well with me that they plan in the very early stages what will be cut as DLC and then begin working on said cut DLC with a sub-team. It's so skeevy and disingenuous, and I can't fathom people being okay with it. I can sometimes tolerate it, but I still think it's ethically shady.

And I'm not sure how the reaction would have been if the DLC was free for any new purchases. There would absolutely have been some negativity surrounding it, but I certainly view it as fairer. Borderlands 2 did it, but it was very clear that Gaige was in the early stages near launch date.

Aside from the straight to DVD sequels (I'm not sure why you thought to include those) those are decent examples.

The big difference here though, and the reason why people are getting increasingly pissed off at Capcom DLC, is that in those examples you never think that content is possibly being held back because those artist or directors want to exploit their fans for extra money. Bluray director's cuts are starting to approach that level consumer contempt (the LotR being the most obvious example) but as a whole it doesn't feel nearly as smarmy as what Capcom's been doing.

SFxT and DmC DLC both contain characters that arguably should be part of the main game and not optional downloads. I'm not going to argue that is definitely what Capcom is doing but it feels that way to me and it's only going to get worse if people continue to support it.

I said the DVD sequel thing because its people trying to cash in on a name with extra content that isn't necessary for the core experience.

Your last question is the real problem here. It's just as easily arguable that those things wouldn't be part of the main game. I mean Jesus, sfxt had like 38 characters out of the gate and that's not more than enough and more than most fighting games? You really think less than 50 characters is unreasonable? Not to mention the fact that no one is ever lying to you. In both cases capcom has told you upfront EXACTLY what is on the disc and what is DLC and you are free to decide if its worth your money.

ultron87

I appreciate the response, but it still doesn't sit well with me that they plan in the very early stages what will be cut as DLC and then begin working on said cut DLC with a sub-team. It's so skeevy and disingenuous, and I can't fathom people being okay with it. I can sometimes tolerate it, but I still think it's ethically shady.

And I'm not sure how the reaction would have been if the DLC was free for any new purchases. There would absolutely have been some negativity surrounding it, but I certainly view it as fairer. Borderlands 2 did it, but it was very clear that Gaige was in the early stages near launch date.

Ethically shady? They aren't hiding anything or trying to deceive anyone in anyway. They produced a product and are free to chop it up and sell it for any price they see fit. Just as you are free to buy it or not at a price you deem worth it.

We can at least be glad that they are being nice and up front about everything. They aren't suddenly springing DLC on us a week after release that would suddenly make the game we're enjoying an empty non-complete game.

CPS2

Capcom doesn't learn, at least announce the DLC a month or weeks before the game is out.
Er... they're learning something. They know you don't want it on the disc, so its not on the disc, even though it clearly makes no difference at all. What you're asking for now is another thing that makes no difference. Ok Capcom, make it downloadable, and don't tell me about it until the game is almost out, now my fragile mind is at ease.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ethically shady? They aren't hiding anything or trying to deceive anyone in anyway. They produced a product and are free to chop it up and sell it for any price they see fit. Just as you are free to buy it or not at a price you deem worth it.

We can at least be glad that they are being nice and up front about everything. They aren't suddenly springing DLC on us a week after release that would suddenly make the game we're enjoying an empty non-complete game.

Yes. It's disingenuous because the team that's working on the DLC should be working on the main game, and whatever content they've decided to keep in the main game.

This is obviously my opinion, and everyone has to make a value judgment for themselves.

...but in my ideal world...

Game development doesn't exist in your ideal world. I wished it did though.

GuardianE said:
a pre-release team would not be devoted to DLC when they could be working on the main game, either refining it or speeding up the development process.

Again, it doesn't work like this. When the main pre-release development team is done with their tasks, yet the game is not ready to be shipped because other processes are yet required, there isn't anything left for them to do. The lead artist, programmer, combat designer, composer, design lead etc., have no business involved with many of the last leg portions of development before the game is certified and released.

GuardianE said:
Resources and manpower were diverted away from the main game in order to make the DLC.

Again, this is not how it works. Resources and manpower cannot be taken away if said resources and manpower have already completed what they needed to do. So, again - you don't fire people out of a development studio because they have completed their tasks. You aren't going to have them show up to Ninja Theories offices and do nothing and get paid while they wait for the other departments to finish up on the game before going gold. Instead, you put them to work. The main composer has no business being involved in the play testing, balancing, and bug checking portion of development. So instead, you exercise the idea of having him, let's say - work on a battle them for Vergil's DLC. This is just an example of how many of the core pre-release dev team, could be put to use when the game is essentially 'done' but not yet 'released.' But since whatever they are doing is beyond the planned budget of the main game, you effectively create a new budget for whatever they are working on that's separate from the main game. Thus, the pricing model for DLC.

Elginer

why is this dlc :(

As a way to get people to Preorder and get a bonus. It's about getting more sales for it, because Capcom knows you want it. I am looking forward to the game and already have it paid off, nice that I get a bonus DLC. They really need to include it all merchants though not just GameStop. That's some horseshit.

vg260

It actually is surprising how little video game prices have increased over the years even accounting for inflation.

Game development doesn't exist in your ideal world. I wished it did though.

Again, it doesn't work like this. When the main pre-release development team is done with their tasks, yet the game is not ready to be shipped because other processes are yet required, there isn't anything left for them to do. The lead artist, programmer, combat designer, composer, design lead etc., have no business involved with many of the last leg portions of development before the game is certified and released.

Again, this is not how it works. Resources and manpower cannot be taken away if said resources and manpower have already completed what they needed to do. So, again - you don't fire people out of a development studio because they have completed their tasks. You aren't going to have them show up to Ninja Theories offices and do nothing and get paid while they wait for the other departments to finish up on the game before going gold. Instead, you put them to work. The main composer has no business being involved in the play testing, balancing, and bug checking portion of development. So instead, you exercise the idea of having him, let's say - work on a battle them for Vergil's DLC. This is just an example of how many of the core pre-release dev team, could be put to use when the game is essentially 'done' but not yet 'released.' But since whatever they are doing is beyond the planned budget of the main game, you effectively create a new budget for whatever they are working on that's separate from the main game. Thus, the pricing model for DLC.

I get what you're saying LHK, but in that interim period, teams used to either start pre-production on their next product or working within the same structure to create an expansion pack, which, surprisingly was much loved by people because they felt they were getting value back. It'd be better for everyone save for publishers to return to that model, but alas, those days are gone.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
WHY.jpg

He doesn't even look good. I mean Donte at least looks half-decent. Slapping white hair on Donte and calling it a day is just ugh-ly. :/

Dahbomb

Only a week until the demo release.

It will be a glorious day.

Cool you've played it? What's the final boss fight like?
Bad question because we sort of already know what the final boss is and this footage is pretty much a glimpse of what he would play like.

Would people agree, regardless of your stance on DLC, in this instance Capcom is at least trying to achieve some kind of balance between profit and consumer feedback? Really think this can work if Capcom didn't limit the bonus to just Gamestop.

Raonak

Banned
On one hand his moveset looks like it's lifted straight from DMC3, which looks promising.

on the other hand-> It's stupid DLC.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
WOW, I'm buying one of the console releases and the PC version now.

What's with all the dislikes? It looked awesome.

That depends on which view you have on the game.

Oh, it'll be glorious either way.

"Wow, this game delivered on all my expectations! Feels soooo good to finally have in my hands! FUCK THE HATERS MY NIGGA"

"HAHAHAHA this game is a piece of shit, Ninja Shit strikes again, Kamiya have my babies, Platinum60fpsgamesMikami"

That depends on which view you have on the game.

No, it's glorious one way or another. I mean, I'm in as much of the hate camp as you can get, and I'm hoping the demo proves me to have jumped the gun and be a god damn fool, so I'd be extremely happy to be wrong. On the flipside it'll just make me feel like I was right all along. There's no downside to cynicism here.

Only a week until the demo release.

It will be a glorious day.

Bad question because we sort of already know what the final boss is and this footage is pretty much a glimpse of what he would play like.

Oh cool you let another statement go right over your head and approached it from an angle of unnecessary technicalities, well done

Top Bottom