• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon launches new podcast 'The Polygon Show'

Link.

ply_show__12_of_1_.054yvs.jpg

Here at Polygon we have been known to write about the occasional video game. Sometimes, we make videos about them. Now, thanks to rapid advances in audio recording technology, we are prepared to enter a brave new frontier: talking about games. And food. And getting nasty with garbage cans. Important issues.

The Polygon Show is our entry into world of weekly game talk shows. We’ll be discussing news, our current obsessions and answering your questions.

Your hosts:

Simone de Rochefort - Video producer. Author. Woman of leisure. Assassin’s Creed enthusiast.
Chelsea Stark - News Editor. Zelda fan. PC gamer. Dungeon and/or Dragon.
Ashley Oh - Social Media Manager. Mei main. Meat expert. Phantom thief. Knife user.
Allegra Frank - Senior Reporter. Scoop hunter. Anime enjoyer. Nintendo nerd.

The Polygon Show will be available for you to listen to first thing every Friday morning on iTunes and Stitcher. We really hope that you enjoy the first episode!

If you have any questions, stories or comments for the Polygon crew, send them to polygonshow@polygon.com.

ryushe

An all woman podcast complete with a Nintendo nerd, an AC enthusiast, a PC gamer and a Phantom thief?

Sign me the heck up!

kadotsu

Banned
I wish it would release on Thursdays/late Wednesdays. There is a real podcast drought for me on that day while there are already 3-4 podcasts I like publish on Fridays.

I'm down for giving this a shot. I could use a second gaming podcast to go with the Beastcast.

A little short. Hopefully future episodes will be longer...

Will give this a go.

Always willing to bring new game podcasts into the rotation.

All female sounds very interesting.

Don't know anything about any of them (don't honestly follow Polygon much). I assumed every single game site had a podcast by now....

Regiruler

An all woman podcast complete with a Nintendo nerd, an AC enthusiast, a PC gamer and a Phantom thief?

Sign me the heck up!

Zelda fan =/= Nintendo nerd

There are plenty of people who don't care about their other properties.

fake edit: Oh I thought you meant the second, hadn't finished reading the bios

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, another all-women gaming podcast? I'm liking this trend, definitely gonna give them a listen.

Lister

Banned
I love it when podcasts are more diverse, and I don't necessarily mean in terms of gender and race, although that's great too!

The pure PC podcasts tend to be in their own bubble, and the console only podcasts are extremly boring to me as they tend to focus on the most boring AAA games imaginable (to me) and often show complete ignorance about where a lot of game mechanics/ideas come from (since many times it's from a PC genre or game or developer), and that's frustrating as hell.

But podcasts, like say GIant Bomb, that feature a nice mix of console gamers, PC gamers, mobile gamers, etc, never runs out of interesting things and games and ideas to talk about.

Any RSS feed yet?

Are they the Good or Terrible side of Polygon?

Also: How American are they on a scale of Videogamer.com Podcast --> Giant Bomb Podcast. With Easy Alies being = 5?

Regiruler

I love it when podcasts are more diverse, and I don't necessarily mean in terms of gender and race, although that's great too!

The pure PC podcasts tend to be in their own bubble, and the console only podcasts are extremly boring to me as they tend to focus on the most boring AAA games imaginable (to me) and often show complete ignorance about where a lto of game mechanics/ideas come from (since many times it's from a PC genre or game or developer) and that's frustrating.

But podcasts (liek say the GIant Bomb) that feature anice mix of console gamers, PC gamer,s mobile gamer,s etc, never runs out fo interesting things and games and ideas to tlak about.

Any RSS feed yet?

Never listened to a Nintendo podcast before? For better or worse AAA are hardly ever the topic of discussion.

Seems like a super cool mix of backgrounds and interests! I'm into it!

I'll also agree with first post that I would absolutely love a podcast of their long reads. I've missed critical analysis of games in the audio format since A Life Well Wasted petered off.

Jhoan

I wish they'd record (and write) more of their long reads. Those are the shit.
Fixed and agreed. It would have been great to have a This American Life style audio version of their feature articles.

I'll give this a shot and see how it goes. It looks like a solid line up. The only Friday podcasts in my rotation are Nintendo Voice Chat, The Beastcast, and 8-4 Play.

wipeout364

I thought polygon had a podcast, I don't know for sure because I generally dislike their content but wasn't it called the besties or something like that. No problems with another one but the intro makes it sound like it's a new thing so I am confused.

faridmon

I like the fact that it's all female podcast, but I am still dubious and wary considering they are from Polygon

Otnopolit

I appreciate the female perspective and the diversity of the cast! Was gonna come in here with the snark, but then I saw what they were up to.

ultron87

Very cool!

Polygon's video stuff, with it's increasing lean into absurdist comedy, has really been entertaining lately, so I'll definitely give this a shot.

Necrovex

All-female cast? I'll give it a shot. Also wouldn't hurt to add some variety in my gaming podcasts, since all I listen to from that end is Waypoint.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
is anyone having issues with ghostery and soundcloud.

soundcloud auto closes whenever i switch tab

The first episode is 40 minutes long. After listening to it, I don't think I'll be subscribing. I *might* listen to one more episode, because sometimes there's some first episode jitters that go away in subsequent episodes.

Perhaps it's just that I'm not acclimated to the style or it's just a style I don't care for, but the discussion is: fast, random, free-flowing, very informal, with lots of off-topic tangents integrated into the flow. I'm found it difficult to be engaged with the discussion, and even during the times they discussed topics I was interested in, I had a hard to following where the topic was actually going. I finished the episode minutes ago, and I'm not sure I could provide a summary of what was discussed.

Fancolors

I hardly ever check their website unless it's for long form texts, but if it's anywhere near the quality of the Youtube channel, I'm in.

Always up for more gaming podcasts. I still miss the Joystiq Podcast, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish there was a McElroy brother in there ;) , but I'm down for an all female lineup.

we are prepared to enter a brave new frontier: talking about games. And food. And getting nasty with garbage cans. Important issues.

Why do people find this kind of random inane banter entertaining in a gaming podcast? I can't even listen to giant bombcast because of this. They just go off on these asinine tangents for a gaming podcast. I'm not one of their buds having a beer at the bar. And even then I'd look at them weird and tell them to stop if they started talking about some of that shit.

Player One Podcast
8-4 Play
Gamers with Jobs
DLC
Glixel

Player One is terrible and super biased against Nintendo. Glixel is still finding their footing but seems to be decent.

I'd recommend Game Informer, all of the different IGN podcasts (NVC for Nintendo, Beyond for PlayStation, Unlocked for Xbox, and GameScoop for general). IGN UK is great too.

For a good Nintendo specific podcast, try GameXplain Real Talk or Power Pros.

And for video game-related comedy, listen to Cool Games Inc.

Quonny

This felt like they were trying too hard, but maybe that's just who they are. This is a 40 minute podcast and they talked about Helix's lore for over four minutes, and it really wasn't funny or entertaining. They also went BACK to this 'joke' later, and I almost shut it off right then.

Someone brought up if Nintendo is going for 'fuck money', which actually is a valid and interesting topic about how Nintendo seems to be leaning into attractive characters/waifus/husbandos (Fire Emblem, ARMS) lately, and instead of talking about it they just instantly drop the topic and move on.

It was just so scattershot and random. Could just be first episode jitters. Could just be nervous and they'll get into it, but...meh. I'll check back in in a couple months, but this first episode was pretty subpar.

Player One is terrible and super biased against Nintendo.

Is this a joke? It doesn't seem like it, but...wut. Ethan is the biggest Switch fanboy in the world and CJ is right behind him. How can you even say this?

Is this a joke? It doesn't seem like it, but...wut. Ethan is the biggest Switch fanboy in the world and CJ is right behind him. How can you even say this?

Is Ethan the one that's obsessed with Vita? His voice is grating to me. He's super knowledgable about games but without the charm of someone like Jared Petty.

I gave it about a year and Nintendo discussion always felt like an afterthought, and when they did discuss it it was usually to bash it for one reason or another. To be fair, I haven't listened to it since the Switch came out so maybe they've been more fair lately.

Top Bottom