• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Nintendo Thread: Mii Nintendo, U Nintendo, Wii Nintendo

And so the floodgates open, others can now get a taste of the Nintendo experience without buying into the hardware side of the ecosystem. Up until now, you still needed a Wii U or 3DS to create a Miiverse account.

Can't wait to see what happens and if this will be an effective promotion of their "premium" console business. Mobile gaming is all about cock teasing anyway, they should use similar techniques with Miitomo and other mobile apps to steer customers toward a console. "Welcome back to Miitomo, now look at all the fun you could be having on NX!"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If I can get Miitomo working, then I can get an easy 300 to add to my 510 platinum points.

Seeing that some rewards expire at the end of April, I wonder if this means Nintendo will be switching them out more often. Though it doesn't seem like physical rewards will be added anytime soon....so might give in to the MK8 OST on eBay...

Trying to decide if I should get WW Touched or TPicross first. Miitomo points can be combined with Platinum points, right? So if I have 500 of Miitomo & then 500 of Platinum, that equals 1,000?

celebi23

Dumb question: if I were to buy the Smash Bros DLC collection 6 on Amazon (got an AMEX gift card & the eShop doesn't do AMEX), and redeem the code on the eShop, would I still get the points?

Peltz

I'm at work so won't open the app until I have time, but man, even the Miitono icon on my iPhone has that unique Nintendo feel.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Quoting myself from the other thread, for you rooted folks.
I figured out this was the reason why it wasn't wanting to launch. I just unrooted my android, though if I feel like there's something I needed to keep (I don't think so?), I'll use that.

Reward points for digital games only? What a shit move on Nintendo's part.

No mater what Nintendo does they'll always find some way to screw it up.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Was really impressed in redeeming Flipnote Studio 3D on the web and then all I had to do was turn on my 3DS, turn on the Wi-fi and pop it into sleep mode and it would automatically download.

The My Nintendo site already seems nicer and easier to use than the old Club Nintendo. I don't wanna link any social accounts to it, and I'll probably never play Miitomo, but at least the site is pleasant.

Yeah, the old club Nintendo site was slooooow with the new one it's faster to load up.

bobawesome

I'll be honest: I signed up just to eventually get WarioWare.

I'm liking it more than I thought I would, though.

If anyone wants to add me, my Twitter information is on my profile.

My thoughts exactly.

Club Nintendo used to have much better incentives for us to buy and spend money on a wide variety of Nintendo products. I remember receiving points for buying all types of games, phisical and digital and a lot of points for buying new consoles.

These new "missions and rewards" are a complete joke.

And to think I was eagerly waiting for more than a year to use this new rewards programs. Ha!

I just hope they take in account the criticism and fine tunning it over time.

I agree. I hope it gets better over time. The only way this would be really useful is if you go all digital and it helps if you have both Nintendo consoles. Even then, the discounts cost a lot of points and don't save you that much money.

I preregistered for this, but didn't get an email? Should I wait or just download the app now?

I'm wondering the same thing. Since it's Nintendo I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give you the pre-registration bonus in case you don't wait for the e-mail or something… no one else mentioned anything so I'm gonna assume you don't have to wait.

Yeah its not working, can't even reset my password since it says my email isnt matching and my username isnt matching

and I checked on my 3DS x Wii u and used the exact same one spelled on there, even when I try to make a new account it says I can't use "kill" and my username is friskykillface on my Nintendo 3DS and Wii u

I think i'm fucked

TheMoon

Purchase history, which is nice - https://ec.nintendo.com/my/transactions#/transactions

...but I forgot how I got there. Sorry. /sad

Your nintendo account page. Account activity.

http://accounts.nintendo.com

Dumb question: if I were to buy the Smash Bros DLC collection 6 on Amazon (got an AMEX gift card & the eShop doesn't do AMEX), and redeem the code on the eShop, would I still get the points?

DLC does not count for points. Redeemed codes (for games, not DLC) do count. Freebie codes from Nintendo do not count.

Dicer

Banned
I'm wondering the same thing. Since it's Nintendo I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give you the pre-registration bonus in case you don't wait for the e-mail or something… no one else mentioned anything so I'm gonna assume you don't have to wait.

just go and get it, all bonuses show up in the apps "gift box"once you link your account...

TheMoon

Yeah its not working, can't even reset my password since it says my email isnt matching and my username isnt matching

and I checked on my 3DS x Wii u and used the exact same one spelled on there, even when I try to make a new account it says I can't use "kill" and my username is friskykillface on my Nintendo 3DS and Wii u

I think i'm fucked

Customer service is who you want to talk to :)

Former NA Club Nintendo members, check your e-mails. You should have received a code for 200 Platinum Points. (Puts me just over the 1000 bar; Picross, here I come.)

Morts

My Nintendo makes a lot of sense.

I hope you can earn Platinum coins from all NX games too...

Would be cool if they used My Nintendo missions as an achievement system for NX games.

Edit: and I just got the email for 200 platinum coins for being a Club Nintendo member. 50 to go before picross...

Leonsito

Impressed with the Nintendo Account, MyNintendo website and mobile website and with the Miitmo app, looks like Nintendo finally arrived at the Internet age.

If I calculated well, max coins for the first day is 500 platinum and 435 Miitomo.

Frimaire

Is it confirmed that Physical purchases don't earn gold points?
'Cause there's an option in the menu for redeeming a point code...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So I preregistered a while ago, and this all went live at 6 a.m. EDT ... and Nintendo didn't send me an email about it until 1:52 p.m.? WTF

At least there's a code in this email for getting more platinum points.

[edit] Apparently it's for 200 points. Can't just copy and paste from the email, though, because it counts the hyphens and runs out of room by three characters ... so you have to delete the three hyphens, go back to your email, highlight the last three characters of the code, copy them, then go back and paste them to the end of your code entry on My Nintendo. What a hassle. It should automatically detect the hyphens and ignore them.

Would be cool if they used My Nintendo missions as an achievement system for NX games.

Edit: and I just got the email for 200 platinum coins for being a Club Nintendo member. 50 to go before picross...

Yeah this would be great.

Xbox Achievements

PSN Trophies

and Nintendo Missions would be really good (better than the Accomplishments).

Was afraid of this but this is basically worthless to me. I buy a lot of Nintendo products but since I buy mostly physical I won't be able to get any type of rewards. The few digital games I buy will end up expiring before I can save them up and use them. Pretty disappointed and hope they make some changes.

Just a little confused. I get that My Nintendo is a loyalty program which can offer discounts for digital purchases.

But what's new with the enhanced eShop? Is it up yet? What's "enhanced" about it? Are we finally going to have an account system with it so we don't have to worry about redownloading games on different consoles (a la PSN/XBOX)?

Morts

Was afraid of this but this is basically worthless to me. I buy a lot of Nintendo products but since I buy mostly physical I won't be able to get any type of rewards. The few digital games I buy will end up expiring before I can save them up and use them. Pretty disappointed and hope they make some changes.

There's still ways to get Platinum coins to exchange for software. Only gold coins require buying from the eShop.

lionpants

Is it confirmed that Physical purchases don't earn gold points?
'Cause there's an option in the menu for redeeming a point code...
I just received an email with a redeemable code for points. I'm thinking it will just be for promotional stuff like that.

Here's hoping though. :(

Morts

Just a little confused. I get that My Nintendo is a loyalty program which can offer discounts for digital purchases.

But what's new with the enhanced eShop? Is it up yet? What's "enhanced" about it? Are we finally going to have an account system with it so we don't have to worry about redownloading games on different consoles (a la PSN/XBOX)?

It's just Nintendo.com/eshop

You can purchase from your phone/computer and downloads start on your NNID linked console automatically. All the old account system rules apply (games still tied to hardware).

-shadow-

lol I'm 5 points shy of 1000

It's weird how some have more than others. If I were to complete the Face to Face friend through Miitomo my total amount of coins would end up being 945. Seems some have been able to collect coins others couldn't.

maxcriden

Tried to "Link Miitomo to a Nintendo Account" & it takes me to another page that is blank, so I don't know what to do there?

Also I had 300 silver coins when I logged in with my NNID, I then linked Miitomo to my NNID & it flashed up that I had been given 50 coins (when it says 100) & then it said that I should/could redeem them, which I did, some music played & I have no idea what I got in return for my spent 50 silver coins!

How long do the points last, or do they expire like the old system did? if they expire then I'm not going to bother with this, I used to save up all the scratch-cards/codes for when I actually wanted something from Club Nintendo.

Those spent coins are for the tutorial. You got 50 net. The 50 you spent were for your coin box.

They do expire after 6 months.

The whole gold coins thing seems flexible in terms of value, that's why I don't think you can look at it as a dollar value proposition.

Max's post earlier showed it as a fairly bad proposition.

However let's say you decide you want to get the 30% off Splatoon code for 140 gold coins. You can buy two retail games and get 140 coins for effectively $120 or whatever you pay for it at retail, there are all kinds of ways to lower this costs. That 30% off of Splatoon at the moment is worth roughly $18, or a return of roughly 15% on those other games you bought.

Remember this is more of a combination of Club Nintendo and the Digital download programs, and it is a loyalty program too. You can't look at a direct dollar to coins ratio and expect it to make it look like a deal. You have to look at it as a return on what you spent.

If DKCR is a $20 Wii game and you get it for free by spending $200 on games, that is in effect a 10% loyalty program. Which many of us were happy with. Its not as flexible as before, I love getting eshop credit, but you have to think of it as a loyalty bonus as a % of money spent.

I appreciate the feedback on my post, t. I do look at it as a value proposition from an RNG sort of perspective. I think that's the right term. I recognize that it's not the same as paying $230 for a copy of a game that costs $20 normally. But I like to try to figure out the overall best value proposition. I agree it's a loyalty program and a bonus and even if it were only 5% for everything I'd be thrilled to get anything. But since there is some flexibility in utilizing it, I want to figure out the way to get the coins most cheaply. :)

I do completely see what you said about the Splatoon discount and I appreciate you breaking down the math on that. Thank you. Ultimately though for the 15% discounts I feel like the best bet is waiting for a sale on those games. That's too small of a discount to amount to much I think vs. other kinds of sales (presuming there will still be non-MyNintendo sales) or other MyN point usages. As to the 30% discounts, as you said those are a better deal.

310 coins is the maximum one can get without being able to pre-register for Miitomo, right? Unless you can actually do that without being in one of the countries it's releasing in (fellow Swede here).

Edit. What about purchases that costs less than £5? Don't they get star coins?

It's unclear if purchases less than 5 pounds/dollars/Euros/etc. are meant to get coins. The site says no, some people are reporting that they're getting them though. So I want to try to get some myself before they potentially turn that glitch off, if it is one.

Also, I want to know, if I get a code to redeem something on the eshop do I get gold coins for doing so. Not a code I buy at a store but a code from my nintendo?

And finally, I am going to go ahead and buy Animal Crossing digitally, and use the 15% off, I am guessing I will get full gold coins for it. I think. But honestly I don't care becuae I got the eshop credit at 20% off, and the play coins were earned for "free" so I end up spending a lot less than I normally woukd have.

Yes, you will get points based on the criteria Moon described. :)

If you've done everything, you should only be 55 points away...

By not meaning in the same region, they may be getting different amount of points. I would want to make sure everyone got their pre-reg bonus as well as the secret 10 point mission, though. :) (Is there more than one secret mission?)

You can't buy it. It costs zero money. Plus, as I just mentioned, freebie codes from Nintendo don't give coins either.

Right. I imagine DKCR might give gold points once it's up on the eShop (or even now), though.

Top Bottom