• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paragon Open Beta Thead | PC x PS4

RS4-

Ok fuck it, finally installing.

4k hours in dota, might as well play something that isn't dota, but sort of is. Good times.

ryseing

Add a playtime filter Epic pls. Thanks. I shouldn't be matched up with other low silver players that are only that rank because they just started playing.

TheRed

I'm about to try this again since a while ago in an early Alpha. Hope I enjoy it because I really want to like it.

Opening the Epic Games Launcher I just remembered I got into the Fortnite Alpha :O guess I can try that too.

-Played one game and had some fun playing Greystone, got 5 kills pretty quick. Game fell apart after 20 minutes with team not taking down any towers yet and it getting kinda boring fighting happening mostly in one lane. One guy quit then we lost a bunch of fights and surrendered. Early fights were fun but definitely still needs work to keep interest and enjoyment longer. Just one game though, will play more often now.

grmlin

I uninstalled it already ;) Way to complicated and nothing for short bursts of easy fun. I think MOBAs are not for me then :)

Mindlog

The weekly pack is nice.

My regular packs were a friggin tragedy. I got an epic rare 'Blight Bones' and of course more Dire/Sinister/Concentrated Shock/Drain.

Not a single minor anything or tainted magick.
Pretty close to loathing the card system.

Two epic rares before getting the basic cards I need to build my items.
J1b8KiF.png

Bad7667

Finally got around to playing this game. I really like it and coming from dota I think it strikes a nice balance of those games in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Having said that, I'm not sure I like the card system, or maybe I just don't understand it. I haven't spent much time with the game admittedly, but it feels like some players would get an advantage the more they spend on the game.

Very fun so far and I really like the mix of the moba gameplay with the 3rd person gameplay.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
The weekly pack is nice.

My regular packs were a friggin tragedy. I got an epic rare 'Blight Bones' and of course more Dire/Sinister/Concentrated Shock/Drain.

Not a single minor anything or tainted magick.
Pretty close to loathing the card system.

Two epic rares before getting the basic cards I need to build my items.
J1b8KiF.png

I just dropped 200k on Corruption packs to get Tainted......no luck.... -_-

RNGesus felt it fit to give me about 5 Curse of the Leech though...thanks my lord and (un)saviour lol.

ZeroCoin

RNGesus felt it fit to give me about 5 Curse of the Leech though...thanks my lord and (un)saviour lol.

I wouldn't bother with the single card packs honestly. You are better off waiting for a weekly card pack or weekly reward that has what you want, or getting lucky with a 5 card pack.

Bought 5 packs last night and wound up with 2 epic cards, blight bones and thunder cleaver. I still don't have many of the common cards I'm after, but I'll take some epics.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Never played a MOBA before and having a lot of fun with this. Each time I play I feel I "get it" a little bit more. I'm only a few matches in so still very newbish, but I think I've settled in with Sparrow.

Maybe one day I'll get brave enough to play with real people :D

Also, I need a new gaming rig.

ZeroCoin

Having said that, I'm not sure I like the card system, or maybe I just don't understand it. I haven't spent much time with the game admittedly, but it feels like some players would get an advantage the more they spend on the game.

Just keep in mind that you can't buy cards with real money. You can buy boosts that double the amount of reputation you earn, but you still have to play the game to earn reputation. Those cards are just going to be earned over time for the most part.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
how do you use the Orb Prime to rebuild a destroyed inhibitor? by standing on it with the orb?

Just always think "the bottom one" when you're running with the orb if you have an inhib down, never do the dreaded "wrong way" maneuver....with the chat box blowing up XD.

I think the bottom one glows orange, it's the same dunk hole as the enemies OP buff, so it's really good when you wipe an enemy team, then they drop the orb and you can instantly get back any inhibs that were down straight away.

Had some amazing comeback victories due to this mechanic, it's brilliant IMO.

I'm starting to hate crossplay, PS$ players don't follow orders or really do jack shit and play the game like a TPS while the Average Murdock or Gideon stops the shit out of them repeatedly and the card system means you cant buy or sell to counter certain things.

I'm starting to hate this game.

I'm starting to hate crossplay, PS$ players don't follow orders or really do jack shit and play the game like a TPS while the Average Murdock or Gideon stops the shit out of them repeatedly and the card system means you cant buy or sell to counter certain things.

I'm starting to hate this game.

You can go in with extra cards that are situational, if you want.

Kei-

I type on PS4 all the time. I use a wireless keyboard, more people should do this. You can also,get the chat pad that connects to the controller, but nothing beats voice communication.

Also, I hate this sentiment of "PS4 players are bad, PS4 players don't listen, cross platform play sucks" people who don't play MOBAS aren't going to be magicall good at them all of a sudden. Has nothing to do with PS4 or cross-play.

darkwing

Bring it back to your team's side of the pool. The one the enemy brings it to to get the buff.

Just always think "the bottom one" when you're running with the orb if you have an inhib down, never do the dreaded "wrong way" maneuver....with the chat box blowing up XD.

I think the bottom one glows orange, it's the same dunk hole as the enemies OP buff, so it's really good when you wipe an enemy team, then they drop the orb and you can instantly get back any inhibs that were down straight away.

Had some amazing comeback victories due to this mechanic, it's brilliant IMO.

oh boy, I was bringing it to the wrong spot then xD

ryseing

I type on PS4 all the time. I use a wireless keyboard, more people should do this. You can also,get the chat pad that connects to the controller, but nothing beats voice communication.

Also, I hate this sentiment of "PS4 players are bad, PS4 players don't listen, cross platform play sucks" people who don't play MOBAS aren't going to be magicall good at them all of a sudden. Has nothing to do with PS4 or cross-play.

Having a console platform means that a larger portion of players are going to be new to MOBAs but that doesn't mean crossplay should be taken out. I play with some great PS4 players.

Spinluck

Yup, I've played with quite a few garbage ass PC players.

But I have to grind to get them!

No, PC. I am pretty sure the open beta uses players from both platforms because no one uses text chat except PC players and everyone silently uses the ping system without much co-ordination.

Then how do you know if the garbage players are on ps4?

Only ps4 players know what platform people are playing on via icons in the draft.

To add, I play on ps4 using keyboard and mouse and I see just as many bad pc players that don't use the chat at all.

This "console players are dumb" shit needs to stop. Even the epic forums are littered with people complaining about cross platform, whining about supposed ps4 players when they have no idea whatsoever what platform they're on.

Man, hearing all this negativity towards console players make me scared of doing PvP. I guess it's best to just stick with Co-op vs AI.

ZeroCoin

Man, hearing all this negativity towards console players make me scared of doing PvP. I guess it's best to just stick with Co-op vs AI.

Don't worry about it. The only way to really get better after learning the basics is to play against other players. Just like any other multiplayer game you will run into people that will complain about how everyone is playing. Mute/block them and move on.

when it gets out off beta we will get better and more servers right? i really have shitastic connection with this game (played co op ai with my bro and we had really bad pings and lag)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
what do you get if you buy the Master Challenge

You get bonus XP tacked on for yourself and the team
First 5 levels of a Hero, you get +5% XP and the whole team gets 1% bonus from you
Starting @ level 6, it climbs by one, every time you level up
So by level 10 Hero you will get +10% to yourself and 5% team
More people on Master Challenges more XP you next, mostly its a few hundred in total, but over time it builds up

Also get a Skin (mostly a color swap)

Hero Title changes from Initiate (level 1-4) to Challenger (5-9) to Master (10)

Getting to Hero Level 8 unlocks the emote/taunt of said hero to abuse as you will lol

ZeroCoin

Epic had posted a YouTube video showing what the new jungle models look like. No news post detailing all the changes yet, but looks like V31 will update the jungle. Video Link

what do you get if you buy the Master Challenge

Also, you will get the level 6, 7, and 9 rewards that can grant large amounts of rep, coins, or boosts. These tend to be much better than the earlier rewards for the characters as well. You really shouldn't bother with the master challenges unless you plan on sticking with a character past level 5 though.

Mindlog

Epic had posted a YouTube video showing what the new jungle models look like. No news post detailing all the changes yet, but looks like V31 will update the jungle. Video Link
They look good. Not sure how I feel about the blue changes. Although minor all of them doing energy damage was a feature imo.
I play from PS4 and trust me. The negativity is a MOBA thing :]
Actually most of the players I've come across are quite positive. Easy to tell when other start to tilt. Sometimes I just ignore them. Sometimes I try to push them over the edge as kindly as possible. Never sabotage.

Ouch. I got a second Empyrean Mask before minor strike.

Played a game on a friend's acccount. Tainted Magick is so good.
Also just started playing Dekker. She's a lot of fun. Controlling a fight feels extremely powerful yet because she doesn't really burst people down she really emphasizes smart movement.

charsace

There is a spreadsheet in the OP. Quote it and it is in the email tags.

Thanks man, I didn't realize it was there.

I can't wait for this game to come out with a detailed stat breakdown. The 3rd party sites or decent, but I would like to see heat maps and what not and death location.

GraveRobberX

Good Lord, just had one of the most daunting Co-Op match possible

I knew the player Khaimera was trolling in chat Thank Fuck I picked GRIM.exe to at least get the match over with

Had 2 Support players in Muriel and Narbash who for some reason stuck together (guessed they're still new to this)
A Grux who was just happy destroying Inhibitors (guessing, they wanted the weekly challenges over lol)
The Khaimera player just trolled running from jungle to jungle killing Jungle Minions, wasting time from other leveling up quicker cause they were always level 1 (soon got bored and either AFK or just run around and die in weird ways)

I had to destroy 5 of the 6 towers, only 1st tower on Right lane got destroyed by the Support crew
All 3 Inhibitors
Then Killed Prime Orb, cause all 5 enemies were @ Core, baited their Ultimates, killed all 5, help by Narbash on 1 Kill, Muriel fly's on me @2% on Core to get a Core hit...

Goddamn I covered all 3 lanes, if no Travel mode, we would've been fucked
Look at these stats:
56qIShi.jpg

For all that hard work, for roughly 50 minutes of doing almost everything, I get rewarded paltry:
Y6grWFQ.jpg

I enjoy long games, but Jesus sometimes covering 3 lanes gets tiring
We only lost 1st tower on the Right Lane, that's all

I pushed minions as close to Inhibs as quickly ASAP in my Left lane, then covered Mid.
At the end by say 45CXP, I saw Khaimera AFK, I quickly farmed all Jungle Minions on both sides
All were Level 3, I was in bliss and hit close to cap quick.
Hell 3 enemies came to say Hello and feed me free Ember, so nice of them

I love my GRIM.exe Deck
jCdBKVU.jpg

Crit + Life steal, good lord so good
I get 450 Crit almost every other hit

By the way check your Profile page, the community earned 3 free pack from reaching 75% (1.5mil custom decks used)
Hopefully we can earn the rest 25% (500,000 more to go. Got till Monday, 9PM EST) and earn 2 more packs
I mean that's like 50,000 rep being used
We'll get it if Sunday gets same push and Monday the last bit

I got screwed by all 3 packs
So many 4, 5 point cards...

Can I please get 1-2 cards please!
I need so many level 1 Cast, Kinetic cards
At least 20 of each
Seriously
Would love to expand my Deck and adjust to different situations I see in PvP, but my Decks at the moment are hampered with full card fill in

Like I would love to quickly fill up Flashfire Piston
2 point card, put in 1, 1, 1 then by mid swap it out for 3, 2, 2
I just run Piston with 2,2,1 huge difference at 5 point Piston and 7 point piston
Say a Fury Affinity Hero, i start with 1 health and Piston, you need only 3CXP to cap the card, but right now I have to wait for 6CXP to cap it, a little longer but the faster you finish one card you can move the next

Hope they announce Card Crafting, I have too many 4, 5, 6 point cards in total. Would love to remove multiples of those and get the small cards

Mindlog

I got 1 minor cast! I also got another Epic Rare which is nice.
My last co-op game was very amusing. I picked Howitzer and said I was going Red lane. For some reason the whole team went red lane too! We grouped up the entire match from T1 to their Inhib each lane. Never seen anything like that and it was completely random. Obviously rated them all team players.

Before that I was in a PvP match where for the entire time some players were arguing. My solo lane Dekker was out farming our ADC. Despite the constant bickering we dominated the game and won in ~20 minutes.

*Dekker is fun to solo lane. I just start annoying the other laner with stasis balls and slow bubbles while they push the lane towards my tower. They get so used to me poking them that they can't recognize when I'm doing it to set up the gank.

Then once you get to level 5 the cage comes in handy.
All of this is really dependent on good teammates. Dekker is a faith pick.

Ketch

After doing some playing and reading about this game I've come to the conclusion that people are not very good at the game.

Like guides suggesting to build atk speed on khaimera or thinking that the unique Crit bonus damage is actually Crit chance and just Ithe bad item or game play guides in general.

I uninstalled it already ;) Way to complicated and nothing for short bursts of easy fun. I think MOBAs are not for me then :)

Try SMITE. It's free on PS4 and PC (maybe on other platforms as well). There is not a bigger MOBA noob than in this galaxy and I have no idea what is going on, but the game is fun, you can have quick bursts of fun, there is an auto upgrade option (automatically buys stuff for you during a match and leveling up) and it has easy controls and interface.
I tried every popular and promising MOBA san the FPS ones and I only liked SMITE.

Mindlog

After doing some playing and reading about this game I've come to the conclusion that people are not very good at the game.

Like guides suggesting to build atk speed on khaimera or thinking that the unique Crit bonus damage is actually Crit chance and just Ithe bad item or game play guides in general.
Part of it is the rapid meta change. Even some very good and active streamers can take a while to update their builds.

That said I have no idea how some players came up with the idea to build like 4 meltdowns on Iggy. His scaling is really bad.

I have noticed an uptick in 10 point Pen card usage like Fist of Kings.
And tank Sparrows holy hell. As a fighter I'm going to have to take a harder look at Pen.

GraveRobberX

Thing is most Heroes are fluid in how they can function
Its not set in stone to copy the top streamers decks and think you'll OP the whole crew on the other side

There's also time to build your decks for your Heroes
Seriously I'm kicking myself for not applying for Alpha or searching out this game earlier than the PS+ giveaway
It would've been hard knocks but I would have a huge asset in deck building by now

Most do put in effort at least try stuff out, hell I build decks for shits n' giggles in Co-Op
PvP I stay away from due to bad misfortune of AFK'ers or players really jumping in without knowing how to PvP MOBA

Co-Op and PvP are 2 completely different modes
Some think that they'll rush their lanes enemy, not realizing its not AI programmed to follow a path or use an ability at certain times

I enjoy Co-Op for the XP, Rep with minimal game time put in
I've played 1 hour PvP match and be rewarded not much, it wouldve been better if I had completed 3 Co-Op matches in that timeframe

Trying to level up all Heroes to 10, most are @5 or above, only handful in the 3's that I'm leveling up
Great thing is you get rewarded the prize for reaching that Hero level w/o unlocking Master Challenge

By the way Holy Shit ATK+ Speed Muriel as a DPS is fucking Hilarious
She justs pew pew pew like a semi auto
That would never work in PvP, but fun to try stuff in Co-Op

So we reached 80% on community challenge, guessing by tomorrow morning Sundays stats will fold in and we'll be 100%
2 more packs for everybody

Found out that the Essential Edition (PS4 disc version of the game STACKS!)
Oh boy, waiting it drop hella cheap and buy like 5-10 copies

The disc is worthless, it just installs the game/client, its the code that's the prize
Get 5 unlocked Master Challenges, an exclusive Wasteland skin for TwinBlast, but the real grab is the 6000 Bonus coins and the 3 XP/3 Rep Wins every week for 10 weeks (I think)

So getting 5 copies very cheap say $5 down the line, nets you 30,000 coins (which roughly is $300 in Epic funny money)
That can buy you many rep boosts, grab the 30 win and 30 days and earn 200% on top of whatever you net, same goes for XP.
Skins also, if it drops to $5 I'm buying 10 copies and have 60,000 coins to burn lol

TheRed

So I started playing this game in the past week and have got some enjoyment out of it. But one thing that seems weird is the card system, how is that balanced for people just starting out and players who've collected a ton of cards? I can't imagine Dota not letting u get some good items until you've put 100 hours in. Obviously maybe it's not that big of a deal since I'm new to the game I don't know much about the balance.

Oh and I've been having technical issues that make me want to stop playing until this game is much farther along. On my gtx 1080 the gpu is only being used like 30%, ok maybe that's all it needs but no the framerate is all over the place between 40-60 and vsync just limits to 30 instead. Also trying to use DSR is completely broken. I really wanted to see it in 4K but the game refuses to let it work. It gives me the 4K resolution option but then it just changes the render scale to 50% to effectively keep it at 1080p, no matter how much I try to raise it nothing will work it will always lock to 1080p. So with all these technical annoyances it's just not enjoyable to look at with all the tearing and frame drops. The character models look great but it won't let me make them look better at a high res.

So now I'm just Mehh on the game again after just starting to like it.

Top Bottom