• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Beam.pro being renamed Mixer.com, gets new features

I was watching a Overwatch stream and the quality was shit. On Twitch you can easily change between quality. How do i do that here? And chat cant be fully removed from the side?

Somnia

I was watching a Overwatch stream and the quality was shit. On Twitch you can easily change between quality. How do i do that here?

I'd assume that was on the streamer, partnered streamers have the ability for you to switch quality but not non-partnered streamers (at least that I've seen). If it was there should be a cog you can click when highlighting the stream if they have the option.

On Twitch they allow non-partnered streamers to have quality changes now also, but only if you have so many viewers. It's still not 100% and is still something Twitch needs to get fixed too.

Should be a settings button on the stream itself.

I'd assume that was on the streamer, partnered streamers have the ability for you to switch quality but not non-partnered streamers (at least that I've seen). If it was there should be a cog you can click when highlighting the stream if they have the option.

On Twitch they allow non-partnered streamers to have quality changes now also, but only if you have so many viewers. It's still not 100% and is still something Twitch needs to get fixed too.

Yes, found it!

It's called low latency and was enabled. I turned it off and it was crisp.

But it really seems you can't hide the chat, that sucks.

Apathy

I prefer beam, sounds more techie. Mixer sounds like something a bunch of singles are doing in a church basement

Outrun

Those of truly powerful features.

I would focus less on the name and look deeper into the features of Mixer.

Akai__

Honestly, I don't really like the order of the Tabs:

DArcAuDXYAEnofW.jpg:large

I really hope they change the order so I can have Home, Community and Store as the first 3 options. Or just give me a toggle to get rid of OneGuide and Mixer.

Honestly, I don't really like the order of the Tabs:

DArcAuDXYAEnofW.jpg:large

I really hope they change the order so I can have Home, Community and Store as the first 3 options. Or just give me a toggle to get rid of OneGuide and Mixer.

They should allow us to reorder tabs, that way I could put oneguide and Mixer to the left, Home on Center and the other two as they are now.

nstine

I visited the mixer webpage to see what was up and viewing a stream took about 3 minutes because the webpage was forever loading something along the top and well, not doing much, once I did get in an overlaying popup box was asking me to sign in or sign up every time I clicked my mouse on the page.

The layout reminds me of youtube gaming which is bad.

For all the stick I have given twitch over the years they are in a very good position right now and I can usually load up a stream in a matter of seconds from my follow list.

Do you have flash enabled? If so, try disabling flash in your browser and letting it run with HTML5 instead and see if that works any better. Also, there seems to be some bugs/stability problems with the new layout change so it could just be some growing pains at the moment. Hopefully they get things sorted out quickly.

Yes, found it!

It's called low latency and was enabled. I turned it off and it was crisp.

But it really seems you can't hide the chat, that sucks.

You can hide chat (at least on PC) by mousing over the chat just to the right side of the stream's scroll bar (not chat's scroll bar) and some blue lines should appear that let you resize the chat window.

see5harp

I don't get it. They just bought this company. If they wanted to rebrand why not do that shit last year or wait for Scorpio?

Septic360

Banned
But...there's nobody on it. That's the big problem. The platform itself seems solid with some pretty great features, but without the people there behind it it's all worthless. And there's no real incentive to switch - why would you stream on a platform with a much lower chance of views than one which has hundreds of thousands of visitors a day.

And this is the biggest problem. MS need to start doling out the cash to big streamers.

OR ME!

Rourkey

Why do Microsoft buy brand names (nokia being the main one) and then change the brand, seems bizarre to me

Beam makes much more sense!

Somnia

Why do Microsoft buy brand names (nokia being the main one) and then change the brand, seems bizarre to me

Again as has been said multiple times in this thread, they don't have the ability to use the name Beam in every country, they had to change the name if they want this to be a global brand.

Because as stated more than once in this thread, they could not use the Beam name in other countries. Hell it didnt even have the .com domain. It had .pro originally. It was going to be too messy.

I've been pretty impressed with Beam on Xbox... but... seems like a weird time to debut the new name...

Aaah, guess the name Beam had some issue w/ international translation or trademarks

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So the Bing of streaming? MS should learn that the XB brand isn't enough to push big services.

oneils

BEAM or now Mixer, absolutely decimates Twitch imo.

Its super fast, intuitive, no lag and just effortless to use all round.

With these features, its on another level.

As a viewer, there is still a lot of work to do. Very clunky experience in safari iOS. The iOS app has no picture In picture support (from what I can tell), and I can't figure out how to view chat. Still trying to figure it out. I'll see if they have a FAQ.

Microsoft is really knocking it out the park lately with renaming their stuff with shit names.

Guess Scorpio being The New Xbox or Xbox 2 is a given.

DocSeuss

I don't understand the naming change, and their email's just like "this allows more people to enjoy it." Is Beam an offense in Albanian culture or something? Why, exactly, is Mixer better than Beam? I liked Beam.

Microsoft is really knocking it out the park lately with renaming their stuff with shit names.

Guess Scorpio being The New Xbox or Xbox 2 is a given.

It's gonna be in the Xbox One family, apparently, so I'd assume Xbox One [word]...

Somnia

I don't understand the naming change, and their email's just like "this allows more people to enjoy it." Is Beam an offense in Albanian culture or something? Why, exactly, is Mixer better than Beam? I liked Beam.

They cannot legally use the name Beam in some countries, they have to change it to grow Beam (Mixer) as a global brand. Is Mixer the best choice? Probably not, but it'll grow on me.

So all 2nd place companies out there who aren't as well known to the public as their competition should just quit now?

No not at all, I am just saying that its a distant third to youtube these days for live streamer and the name will not really change that opinion because mixer sounds like a damn dating app.

katsais

Beam...actually had a lot of marketing potential IMO. It was unique and catchy. Mixer...is just another name. Too bad, it had potential.

xabbott

No not at all, I am just saying that its a distant third to youtube these days for live streamer and the name will not really change that opinion because mixer sounds like a damn dating app.

It's somehow is getting missed very often. They couldn't use Beam and grow the brand. Also, you don't need to be the most popular to be profitable. Otherwise, iOS would be considered a failure globally.

I mean at one time MS tried to buy Yahoo and failed. People considered Bing a dumb idea. Now Yahoo is a distant third. Bing was powering stuff like Siri. Grew at a rapid rate due to Windows 10. It also meant they were able to make Cortana more competitive with Google's voice search since data powers these virtual assistants. I'm not saying this as someone who thinks Bing is better than Google. I'm just saying they made a lot out of the second place search.

Beam/Mixer doesn't have to beat Twitch. It simply has to benefit Microsoft. The interactive stuff and low latency tech could be used to stream games/apps to future devices. They can use it as a broadcasting platform for non-gaming streams. They can integrate it with Hololens to stream from the headset, etc. So again, I'm not saying Mixer/Beam will ever beat Twitch or become a household name but there is more to the acquisition sometimes than what is right in front of us.

gamz

It's somehow is getting missed very often. They couldn't use Beam and grow the brand. Also, you don't need to be the most popular to be profitable. Otherwise, iOS would be considered a failure globally.

I mean at one time MS tried to buy Yahoo and failed. People considered Bing a dumb idea. Now Yahoo is a distant third. Bing was powering stuff like Siri. Grew at a rapid rate due to Windows 10. It also meant they were able to make Cortana more competitive with Google's voice search since data powers these virtual assistants. I'm not saying this as someone who thinks Bing is better than Google. I'm just saying they made a lot out of the second place search.

Beam/Mixer doesn't have to beat Twitch. It simply has to benefit Microsoft. The interactive stuff and low latency tech could be used to stream games/apps to future devices. They can use it as a broadcasting platform for non-gaming streams. They can integrate it with Hololens to stream from the headset, etc. So again, I'm not saying Mixer/Beam will ever beat Twitch or become a household name but there is more to the acquisition sometimes than what is right in front of us.

Bing is a beast that grows every Q. I think people don't even realize how much it powers. It powers Amazon Echo for example.

Do you have flash enabled? If so, try disabling flash in your browser and letting it run with HTML5 instead and see if that works any better. Also, there seems to be some bugs/stability problems with the new layout change so it could just be some growing pains at the moment. Hopefully they get things sorted out quickly.

You can hide chat (at least on PC) by mousing over the chat just to the right side of the stream's scroll bar (not chat's scroll bar) and some blue lines should appear that let you resize the chat window.

I uninstalled flash once twitch dropped using it last year plus I don't visit any websites that still use it really, so why keep that software installed.

It could have been a page cache issue since it was my first visit in months but like youtube gaming it felt bloated as it was loading stuff, why can't it just be simple and clean, even twitch has too much going on at times.

Sendou

Cool features. Definitely could get a lot of use out of the co-streaming one. Nice to see more competition.

When it comes to the names I'm not sure if something like Twitch was any better. People just get used to this stuff.

SenkiDala

Let's get used to that name, it's not that bad.

Important is the service itself: and it's a really great service, great quality, etc.

Top Bottom