• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USF II (Switch) vs SFV which do you think will sell more in the end?

Justinh

I feel like SFV is the obvious answer, since it's the one still played at like EVO (SUPER is played sometimes I guess, but an actual old version I think). But then again...

After the launch period, it took SFV nine months to sell another hundred thousand units.

woof! I forgot about that.

I still think SFV will sell better in the end, though.

The game is terrible.

To change Vega to fireball character for the sake of making it easier ruined the game.

Changes to chun-li, Bison or others to make it easier was silly.

They are trying to sell you everything under the sun with this title.

Even the seasonal roster thing is crap.

Always signed on BS

Being signed off randomly and having to log-in.

No Arcade mode
You seem quite misinformed and I don't think you're in the best position to judge the game with such authority when you've never played it.

Crayon

When you pop in to talk yang on a game, you are supposed to hide the fact that you never played. Not brag about it.

I think nostalgia, the demographics of the growing Switch install base, and the lack of ceaseless belligerence towards the game all over the internet will allow it to be a go to tile that anyone who remembers SFII and owns a Switch will eventually buy.

I hope I'm wrong and don't know what I'm talking about, though. I want SFV to win. The game is so good.

You seem quite misinformed and I don't think you're in the best position to judge the game with such authority when you've never played it.

I have played every SF game ever and i played SFV until i realized how terrible it is.

Everything i stated is actually true and not information i heard from someone.

Capcom dropped the ball with the game and this is why people can buy it for $10 at times.

They want to nickel and dime you for everything on this game.

BGM Music is being sold,Colors etc.

Forkball

I can see USFII outselling SFV ONLY when it drops price on the Switch and is then ported to PS4/Xbone/Steam. Switch alone at $40? No way.

I also wonder if Switch will get an USFIV port down the line. I would be tempted to double dip at a good price.

I have played every SF game ever and i played SFV until i realized how terrible it is.

Capcom dropped the ball with the game and this is why people can buy it for $10 at times.

Please tell me what music is being sold in SFV.

Nevermind that characters, stages, and colours can be bought with Fight Money.

rockyt

I wonder the people who are saying SFV will sell more do they realize sales have flatline for the game. Took 8 to 9 months to sell 100k copies more. Initial shipment has not sold out i believe. They are not getting that much more sale from casuals whom they lost and i dont see a drastic uptake in purchase with more modes or char. Only people seem to be buying and playing are the FGC. SFII has higher potential since it might catch the casual for which SFV seem to lost.

yyr

Quite honestly I expect USFII to outsell SFV easily and within the first year, especially if it winds up being ported to other platforms. There are two main reasons.

1) Almost everyone knows how to play SFII, including folks who haven't touched Street Fighter since SFII or even SFIV. USFII will sell to them via the nostalgia factor alone.

2) Arcade Mode. SFV still lacks the #1 most requested feature by casual players, who coincidentally make up the majority of buyers.

Anyone who reads this and thinks "rofl bullshit" does not understand the fact that there are lots of players who enjoy Street Fighter but are either 1) not interested in learning a new game, or 2) not interested in playing VS. humans.

Adding to this are the facts that Switch is an exciting new platform, and SFV is not available on it. If USFII is ported to anything else that isn't PS4 (such as XB1), SFV won't be available on that either, adding even more sales.

Who knows, I could be wrong. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if I was right.

Well, early reception from consumers regarding USFII seems pretty good.

I remember after SFV's launch day, it was averaging one and half stars on Amazon.

USFII has been out a day and it's at four and a half stars. People seem happy with it overall. It's going to sell well and unlike V, will have reasonably strong word-of-mouth to help it.

qko

I don't know much about SFV, but the fact that there seems to be confusion about there being an arcade mode kinda means the narrative on the game has written itself.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

AdO7FWr.gif

Well, early reception from consumers regarding USFII seems pretty good.

I remember after SFV's launch day, it was averaging one and half stars on Amazon.

USFII has been out a day and it's at four and a half stars. People seem happy with it overall. It's going to sell well and unlike V, will have reasonably strong word-of-mouth to help it.

It doesn't have a large enough install base to work with to really compete with a multiplatform title, especially at that price point. I'll be surprised if it sells anywhere close to SF5, which hasn't sold all that well itself.

Tell us where, I'd love to buy some new tracks in game for SFV. Sure you're not making that up?

If they actually did, I'd actually buy different remixes to have in game. That would be awesome.

And USF2 won't surpass V sales wise. It will still extremely well though.

It doesn't have a large enough install base to work with to really compete with a multiplatform title, especially at that price point. I'll be surprised if it sells anywhere close to SF5, which hasn't sold all that well itself.

Install base doesn't really matter in this case. It's about public perception. SFV could have launched on a console with a 100 million userbase and things wouldn't have been much different. The game was lambasted by negative word-of-mouth early on and killed any chance of the game succeeding, long-term.

That's not to say USFII will sell more than 1.6 million copies, but even with the Switch's small install base, that's not a terribly large hurdle to cross, particularly considering consumer reception seems pretty positive. My guess is a game like ARMS will be its biggest challenge, as it launches in three weeks.

Neither are likely to crack 3M, I'm guessing.
I imagine USFII won't crack 1 so V wins.
Not sure how that's hard to understand. They're both bad values, but at least V is a new game

Switch is already struggling in the software department IMO. SF2 will sell I think. I think it may outsold SFV. Didn't SFIV sell really well on 3ds?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Switch is already struggling in the software department IMO. SF2 will sell I think. I think it may outsold SFV. Didn't SFIV sell really well on 3ds?

Oh that argument again....thats why everything 3rd dropped on WiiU was a hit. Starved WiiU owners bought everything they could get their hands on xD

Oregano

I just wanted to keep in here to say that Urban Champion is a classic and you'd do best to remember that. I'll fight you online when its the first online VC game later this year.

Hex

Banned
Considering that v will be supported with seasons and dlc and usf2 will be a floater left behind I think it is safe.
Not only that SFV goes on sale often.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
You really overestimate how much people want to play HD remix again

Fighting games have evolved far past SF2. I imagine most FG players don't want to go back to SF2 tier simplicity.

USFII ain't HD Remix at all, it just uses the graphics.

Also FG players aren't the majority of people that play fighting games.

I wonder the people who are saying SFV will sell more do they realize sales have flatline for the game. Took 8 to 9 months to sell 100k copies more. Initial shipment has not sold out i believe. They are not getting that much more sale from casuals whom they lost and i dont see a drastic uptake in purchase with more modes or char. Only people seem to be buying and playing are the FGC. SFII has higher potential since it might catch the casual for which SFV seem to lost.

Of course the Switch street fighter is for casuals..

You can press one button on the screen to feel like a bad ass! You can also play the arcade mode that features a storyline of sorts! If the base game is too hard, you can tag team the CPU! Online losses getting you down, rage quit without any penalty!

Call now and receive a new fireball throwing, rising dragon punching first person mini game, for FREE!!

You can get all this at the low, low price of 2 easy payments of $19.99!*
(*two payments of $19.99 must be paid in full at checkout. No refunds) get yours today!

i don't have to say I'm just fucking with you right?

But eh, they making money off of the community like every other gaming community. It's self sustaining right now and like every other video game in existence it goes down in price. Like, puhlease..

El Sabroso

I saw only from today USF2 going in Best sellers from 7th place to 5th place in Mexico for digital purchases where the game is even like around 65 USD, not near 40 USD which I consider a high price for that, so USF2 actually has a chance to do it

D3VI0US

SFV cause PC and Steam. I'm sure they'll repackage the game with Season 2 DLC eventually but eventually it'll be on sale for $5 or $10 and it'll still be selling 10 years from now.

LTD goes to SFV probably, because Capcom is mostly pushing it. That said, SFV's front loaded sales problem will probably not affect USFII because unlike SFV, it's made with normal people in mind.

wrowa

SFV cause PC and Steam. I'm sure they'll repackage the game with Season 2 DLC eventually but eventually it'll be on sale for $5 or $10 and it'll still be selling 10 years from now.

Steam isn't doing anything for SFV. According to Steamspy, SF5 sold an absymal 270k units on Steam - that game is just dead in the water. I don't think anything can resurrect it either. It released to bad mainstream reception and people quite simply moved on. SF fans coming around to it won't change the perception of the larger public when there are other alternatives in the fighting genre.

Still, SFV should easily stay ahead of SF2 Switch. It wouldn't surprise me if that one sells surprisingly good and lands somewhere between 500k and a million, but 1.6 million would be quite an (undeserved) achievement for a low-budget, low-effort but overpriced port.

... It wouldn't surprise me if USF2 becomes more profitable than SFV though, considering it should have cost next to nothing to develop. >_>

Top Bottom