• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049: Ridley Scott insists Deckard is a Replicant, Villeneuve am cry

Mechazawa

Lol, he makes it sound like the original ambiguity of Deckard being a replicant was just a concession that was made because everyone was going "that's fucking dumb"

Something good being born out of no one being happy, I guess.

Dr Bass

"The director of the movie is wrong about his movie because I don't want it to be that way"

lol

That's not exactly right. He's not a replicant in the original story. The guy who wrote the screenplay did not consider him a replicant. Harrison Ford played him as a human. If Deckard is a replicant the entire theme of the movie is destroyed and it becomes a rather silly movie outside of the visuals and music.

Think of how Deckard reacts when he finds the unicorn at the end. Is that the reaction of "Oh, Im a replicant too. Awesome, no big deal. Now let's go!" Or is is the reaction of "It doesn't matter if Rachel is a replicant or not, she has life and we are going to make the best of it while we can" (or something to that effect)? If the story is meant to be thoughtful in any way, as the original story was, he just can't be a replicant. Frank Darabont also speaks to this in some of the extra features on one of the blu ray releases.

It's not Ridley's story. It's not his script. He can be wrong.

It's our language, Bobby Bomba. Get over it.

THE SOVEREIGN NATION OF GAF

State Language: Indiscriminate Unpopular Dork Dialect #23 (dead language)
State Dish: $30 Italian Beggar's Meal
State Pastime: Jerking off next to your sister
State Mascot: That Dude from Someone's Uncle's Weird Homemade Music Video.
Poet Laureate: Sunhi Legend
El Presidente: Evilore

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Bobby Roberts is right. "Am cry" is like "o rly" owls vintage.

THE SOVEREIGN NATION OF GAF

State Language: Indiscriminate Unpopular Dork Dialect #23 (dead language)
State Dish: $30 Italian Beggar's Meal
State Pastime: Jerking off next to your sister
State Mascot: That Dude from Someone's Uncle's Weird Homemade Music Video.
Poet Laureate: Sunhi Legend
El Presidente: Evilore

Don't compile this
bomba
shit all into one
bomba
post. We don't want to give the
bomba
juniors a
bomba
cheat sheet for their
bomba
citizenship tests.

That's not exactly right. He's not a replicant in the original story. The guy who wrote the screenplay did not consider him a replicant. Harrison Ford played him as a human. If Deckard is a replicant the entire theme of the movie is destroyed and it becomes a rather silly movie outside of the visuals and music.

Think of how Deckard reacts when he finds the unicorn at the end. Is that the reaction of "Oh, Im a replicant too. Awesome, no big deal. Now let's go!" Or is is the reaction of "It doesn't matter if Rachel is a replicant or not, she has life and we are going to make the best of it while we can" (or something to that effect)? If the story is meant to be thoughtful in any way, as the original story was, he just can't be a replicant. Frank Darabont also speaks to this in some of the extra features on one of the blu ray releases.

It's not Ridley's story. It's not his script. He can be wrong.

Look I think the movie is better off with Deckard not being a replicant and I'm aware of the difference in vision about the writer. But at the end of the day the version I watched was the Director's Cut and it was pretty clear when the credits rolled that Deckard was a replicant in that movie.

I clicked every single one of those fucking tags pop.

Every one.

Why'd you do that? You should have known after the second one at most that it was just gonna be
26d.gif

jett

D-Member
What's funny about you people going on about Fancher's early drafts is that in one of his later ones he drops a hint that Deckard might be a Replicant.

Old Fancher interview

Is Deckard a replicant?

No. It wasn't like I had a tricky idea about Deckard that way. Until the last draft.
And he starts to come down on the keys, and it freeze-frames on his hand. And his hand doesn't quite hit the keys, but the music does begin, and we see his hand over the end credits, and it looks like Batty's (Rutger Hauer) hand because it froze in that clawlike thing. So you say, 'Wait a minute, is he a Nexus Six?'

Ridley327

There's a draft of Fancher's script, a pretty early one, that begins with Deckard retiring a replicant on a farm in the wasteland.

The shot of Gosling walking away from a burning building with a tree in the foreground is that sequence.

IIRC, they actually got as far as putting that scene to storyboards for the initial pitch, since they showed those storyboards off towards the beginning of Dangerous Days. It sounded like such a cool idea for an opener, so I'm glad they finally found a way to get around to including it in something Blade Runner-related.

Deckard MAYBE being a replicant isn't the problem.

Deckard DEFINITELY being a replicant is what people have a problem with

It's not the answer, it's that there's the presence of a 100% right-or-wrong answer at all.

Harrison Ford famously claimed that Ridley told him that Deckard was NOT a Replicant and he tried to act like a human. However Ridley never said one way or the other until recent years when he finally started saying Deckard was a Replicant.

The infamous unicorn dream scene was inserted into the film more than a decade after it originally premiered in theaters.

Slaythe

After Alien Covenant I'm not giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.

He lost it. His whole mission is now retroactively attempt to ruin his masterpieces and remove every ambiguity by giving the shittiest and most obvious answers.

Fuck that.

I thought the ending was pretty clear about it.
Unicorn couldn't have meant anything else. Also he clearly gets hit in the face with a punch right after the first punch goes straight through steel. The dude who hit him loaded munitions into space cannons. By hand.

DOWN

Banned
The original version of the movie should be seen first as it was the most responsible for the movie getting famous. After that you can watch the Final Cut. Watching the Final Cut first can hurt the base mystery of watching the original Cut, so watch the original first.

And I agree with Harrison and the screenwriter that Deckard as replicant screws up the message of the film badly.

He ain't doing anything but talking a bunch of shit to IGN.

He didn't write a goddamn novella with Hampton Fancher. There is no way. He's just machine-gun mouthfarting any thought flitting through his head with an ABV higher than 13%
Bobby. Jesus. This is the funniest post I've read on here in ages. I'm straight stealing the shit out of your ABV line

Wolfe

You know Ridley may be a dick but if he's saying Deckard is Replicant then it's officially canon.

Yup, and Greedo shot first, end of story folks.

I thought the ending was pretty clear about it.

This exact argument has been brought up and debated already in the thread, and it's fine if that answer/explanation is ok with you, for me it's not and I prefer the original version of the film and it's ambiguity about the subject.

And I agree with Harrison and the screenwriter that Deckard as replicant screws up the message of the film badly.

This is how I feel, and Ridley coming in years later to alter the film and shout about how Deckard was always a replicant comes off very reminiscent of what Lucas did with the OT.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Because he's a super advanced Nexus 7 whose special power is that he's useless as fuck.

Passing the Voigt kampf test and appearing perfectly human would in fact be a superpower and in keeping with the kinds of things Tyrrell was trying to achieve.

Viewed through that lens Rachel's eventual failure to pass would explain why Tyrrell was pleased at the "result" because he was testing Deckard not Rachel

I personally don't subscribe to Deckard being a definite replicant largely because the book was about "how could you really know?"

Flipyap

I actually agree with Scott. Yes, it would have been cool if Deckard's identity were more ambiguous, but I also find it cool that Gaff represents humanity in the movie, not Deckard, and ultimately Gaff is the human who sees Deckard as something more than a machine.
That still sounds like a hollow, pointless twist, considering he's already letting Rachael live.
Deckard being human is infinitely more impactful because he's risking everything, throwing away any future he might have to save a person who only has a few years to live. Compare that to Gaff sort of shrugging and turning a blind eye on what they're about to do - maybe it's a more realistic representation of "humanity," but it doesn't make for a great story.

Simo

There's a draft of Fancher's script, a pretty early one, that begins with Deckard retiring a replicant on a farm in the wasteland.

The shot of Gosling walking away from a burning building with a tree in the foreground is that sequence.

Oooooh shit. Good eye and I forgot about that. Wasn't in that Fancher script and scene where Deckard confirms the replicant identity by removing its lower jaw?

Also from what I can remember I'm pretty sure Fancher wrote a draft where Deckard was a replicant but always sided with the idea that he wasn't and defends it to this day.

Ridley Scott is just upset he can't make a trilogy prequels to ruin Blade Runner.

Ridley is off his rocker. He told EW last year that when he finished the original film he always envisioned a series of follow ups, it just took 35 years to get one of them done.

akira28

I do love how everyone around Scott is like "no dude, that's fucking dumb." and he's going "I am a big time producer! I am 44 years old dammit! I am good enough at this to make this call, and I say this might work, maybe!"

Harrison Ford : "nah Ridley, nah."

Wasn't it the Director's cut that added that Unicorn dream to the film in the first place?

So why is it odd that the Director would make clear what that scene already does?

Madao

i've only seen the final cut of this film. i need to watch the theatrical cut and then the other cuts again to see what's up.

Top Bottom