• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Destiny CCG |OT| Space Magic

hunchback

might need to buy a few singles on top of that, but probably yeah

I'm also confused about the sleeves. If I understand the rules, you need colored sleeves because the different card backs? Or an I misunderstanding? I have been to different card game forums and everybody has different views on the size of the sleeves also.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm also confused about the sleeves. If I understand the rules, you need colored sleeves because the different card backs? Or an I misunderstanding? I have been to different card game forums and everybody has different views on the size of the sleeves also.

opaque sleeves are generally required for tournaments. So ones where you can't see the back.

I personally prefer and use KMC Hyper Matte

You can use any sleeves that work with other FFG card games. I'm using house stark ones for some of my decks :D

opaque sleeves are generally required for tournaments. So ones where you can't see the back.

That's because you are allowed to use official promo cards in tournaments. And since FFG prints their cards in Chine for main product while promo cards are done locally there's minimal difference in colors.

hunchback

Thank you for the info. I may have to wait on the box of booster cards. I can't seem to find them right now. The starter decks are easy to find.

so long any T1 hero decks then, unless heroes get a huge advantage in EOW card pool that just hasn't existed in the game so far (outside the Poe/Maz thing, which only puts that deck alongside the several ~T1 villain decks).

Poe/Maz is also reason why there are no other T1 decks on hero side - because they can't survive constant AOE barrage.

Plus I think EoW opens interesting deckbuilding options for heroes.

Mace Windu looks like Vader class powerhouse
Ezra can combo with Luke/Obi/Jyn for 4 dice setups
Sabine can be good replacement for Poe style deck and her recursion is going to bypass Thrawn/Unkar control.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Running a pack per win event next week (not the coming week). Hoping for a big turnout especially with Awakenings being readily available by then.

Also my daughter finished up on my commission of Rey. Omfg... will post some pics once I get the mat (and hopefully card) assembled in Photoshop. I screwed up when directing her in what I wanted.. so the safe areas for a card aren’t really there... but the pic is soooooo good and the mat is going to be glorious that I really want to try and make a matching card work.. especially where it looks like Rey is still going to be popular in the meta going into EaW.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Poe/Maz is also reason why there are no other T1 decks on hero side - because they can't survive constant AOE barrage.

It's got little to do with AOE barrage (Unk decks are doing fine right now) and everything to do with how underpowered the hero card pool is. I've been playing hero since day one and it's laughable how much better the villain cards are.

It's got little to do with AOE barrage (Unk decks are doing fine right now) and everything to do with how underpowered the hero card pool is. I've been playing hero since day one and it's laughable how much better the villain cards are.

It feels like Sith Holocron is always going to make blue villains stronger than heroes. With Master of the Council my first thought was, "This looks good, but how am I going to have the resources," while if it was a villain card I'd be thinking about the possibility of getting it out in Vader turn one and hitting an enemy with a vibroknife equiped Vader twice on turn 2.

borghe

I think a problem with this game is that overwriting upgrades is rarely worth the cost. a 2 resource upgrade typically isn't twice as good as a 1 cost upgrade. a 4 cost upgrade is typically not 4 times as good as a 1 cost upgrade, or twice as good as a two cost upgrade, etc. So it is more beneficial to you to play two 1 cost upgrades than two play a 2 cost upgrade. Similarly if it were near as good to overwrite a 2 cost upgrade with a 4 cost upgrade, as opposed to deploying a second two cost upgrade..

now holocron. I mean no one is debating that a 4 cost upgrade isn't a big improvement over a 2 cost upgrade.. and with holocron it becomes a zero cost upgrade! So yeah, as long as holocron is in the rotation.. it means that most 3+ cost upgrades are untenable for heroes, while being standard play for villains.

all in all I'd like to see them bring more linearity in upgrade costs instead of the diminishing returns we have now. And none of this even touches resource ramp and the difficulty that carries with it.. so no one is going to work to get 4 resources (across multiple rounds) to devote solely to upgrades when 2 and 2 giving you two upgrades works even better, and needs no resource ramp.

MAJOR EDIT - Ok.. I'm looking at Master of the Council... and I may stand corrected. It does in fact seem to be twice as good as say Vibrknife.. or even (better than) 50% better than lightsaber or hand crafted light bow.. I stand behind everything I wrote above for AW and SOR.. but Master of the Council IS worth ramping a two cost into it. Hopefully FFG recognizes that the diminishing returns of upgrades that exists now, ESPECIALLY for blue hero upgrades, is killing heroes, whereas on the villain side diminishing returns on blue upgrades is just fine as you are just going to holocron it anyway.

I think upgrade costs are ok right now - what heroes struggle with is generating resources since it's usually painful waste of die. Villains have Holocron, Unkar and aftermath to get good amount of resources without wasting damage dice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Holocron really fucks with the balance. If they're gonna mess with Poe they better do something about Holocron at the same time. Although if they do mess with Poe I wonder if Unk decks will just take over completely.

borghe

I think upgrade costs are ok right now - what heroes struggle with is generating resources since it's usually painful waste of die. Villains have Holocron, Unkar and aftermath to get good amount of resources without wasting damage dice.
Everything you just said says "upgrade costs aren't fine" despite you saying they are fine. Heroes have similar resource generation to villains.. the problem DOES come down to Holocron, and that ultimately you don't care what a blue upgrade costs because you are either going to Holocron it or Rise Again.

So I think it's tough to say resource costs are fine when anything over 2 comes down to:

Not blue and not Second Chance? Junk.
Blue hero? Junk unless it's OWTF and they're about to die
Blue Villain? Sure I don't care I have Holocron

That says to me resource costs are not fine on >2 cost items. And again I think a huge part of that is 2+2>4. A character with two 2 cost upgrades is almost uniformly more powerful than one with a single 4 cost upgrade. And as long as that stays the case, I don't see any incentive for players to change.

Silvard

Should be 2x every card? Basically Saga set but they only come with 1x Legendaries.

I've seen people say it should be 2x Legs and 4x everything else, to be able to make any two decks (Like to kitchen table Destiny). But some Legs are neutral and/or usable in two separate decks at once, so that logic seems somewhat faulty to me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Haha yeah I guess there are a lot of different ways to slice it. 2x everything seems Complete to me because you can build any deck. After that the definitions seem pretty idiosyncratic unless there's something standard.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Should be 2x every card? Basically Saga set but they only come with 1x Legendaries.

non-unique characters require 3-6 in case you want to run multiples and now with training.

kitchen table wise you can always do some proxys / photocopies, etc.

Silvard

non-unique characters require 3-6 in case you want to run multiples and now with training.

kitchen table wise you can always do some proxys / photocopies, etc.

But then the dice :(

I mean, you can always try to not have overlapping cards in two decks but that seems hard.

Do any of you guys keep 2 decks or more playable at any given time? If so, how do you handle it? You'd think it'd be easier to maintain a hero and villain deck but there are so many staple neutral cards for each color.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Dice are really easy to proxy -- just do a D6 and refer to the card with 1 corresponding to the top item, and going on down through 6. Honestly after a while you'll know the dice so well you won't even need to refer to card. And easy knowing 6 is usually a blank :p

Silvard

So how would you guys go about evangelizing this game? So far I'm finding it a lot more fun than Magic (not that I play it actively) and would love to play it with more people, but I live in a city with 1.5 game stores and nobody even knows what Destiny is; the local scene is overwhelmingly Magic/Yugi.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
On your first question, right now I have about five decks built. My usual is 3-5. Then again I have a ton of cards so am able to build and trade for what I need to make a solid four decks.

In terms of evangelizing, I guess that's really dependent on the groups. I honestly don't know Magic/Yugioh people at all outside of whoever plays Destiny or Netrunner, but a good start is to have a couple fun decks built and maybe offer to teach someone. I've definitely done that several times (though it was mostly people at work, not the game store). You can see if your game store would be down to host a game night kit or even store championship event, but yeah if literally only you have cards that's going to limit what you're able to do there in terms of getting people out for a night. If only you had 1-2 other people with decent card pools you could all team up and make like six decks and that would definitely be a good starting point for a casual night.

Daigoro

So how would you guys go about evangelizing this game? So far I'm finding it a lot more fun than Magic (not that I play it actively) and would love to play it with more people, but I live in a city with 1.5 game stores and nobody even knows what Destiny is; the local scene is overwhelmingly Magic/Yugi.

for me it was easy since the folks i introduced it to are SW nerds and gamers. got like 5 people into it already.

but yeah, demo some games. make a few easy decks and just let people play. really the only way to see if they like it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
for me it was easy since the folks i introduced it to are SW nerds and gamers. got like 5 people into it already.

but yeah, demo some games. make a few easy decks and just let people play. really the only way to see if they like it.

and they all end up liking it, from my experience.

I'm also with Astro, I have 5 decks currently built:

Poe / Maz
Palp
Luke / Rey
Vader / Raider
9s / Unkar / Trooper

I'm really good with 2 of those and decent with V/R though need more practice, learning luke/Rey and 9s.. kinda wanna do Snap/Poe or Snap/Baze too as deck 6.

Silvard

and they all end up liking it, from my experience.

My close friends all liked it when I introduced it to them, but they're seriously put off by the RNG aspect of the game. Maybe if there was a more active local scene they wouldn't feel apprehension. On the other hand, some seem really receptive to X-wing, which also has no local scene, and they don't seem to mind buying in. The rest though don't want to invest anything so it works out when I let them play with my ships. I guess I could proxy things but yeah...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Destiny has unpredictability and you have to be able to adapt, but RNG is hardly dominant. Good players and decks win big (and even smaller-sized) tournaments for the most part. It's not just like hey let's see who rolls best in this group of 30 people. But you'd really have to play a few games of it with decent decks to get a good sense of why that is.

Silvard

Destiny has unpredictability and you have to be able to adapt, but RNG is hardly dominant. Good players and decks win big (and even smaller-sized) tournaments for the most part. It's not just like hey let's see who rolls best in this group of 30 people. But you'd really have to play a few games of it with decent decks to get a good sense of why that is.

Ah, sorry, I misspoke. They're put off by the RNG aspect of collecting the game, not the gameplay. Boosters and the like. Which is ironic coming from those who have played and enjoyed Magic, but I guess having a strong local scene makes a big difference.

borghe

Subscribing for the apparent reprint.

Which B&M should I check out? Online shops?
Any B&M. Every store in the area has almost as many boxes street dated for today as the last wave of SOR. Probably 15+ boxes in the area. And while that doesn't seem like a lot, the vast vast majority of regular players in the area are buying 0. For people catching up on Awakenings they'll have any easier time doing so now than any of us did at the beginning of the year.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ah, sorry, I misspoke. They're put off by the RNG aspect of collecting the game, not the gameplay. Boosters and the like. Which is ironic coming from those who have played and enjoyed Magic, but I guess having a strong local scene makes a big difference.

Buying at the box level assures you 6 legendaries per box. Which is my reccomendation

ghostmind

So the Awakenings refresh appears to be limited, with stores including my own having their preorders cut. I'm only getting one of the two boxes I ordered, with no guarantee of any future additional waves.

What happened to "we are going to take a major risk and trust the demand out there and do our largest reprint ever?"

Draxal

So the Awakenings refresh appears to be limited, with stores including my own having their preorders cut. I'm only getting one of the two boxes I ordered, with no guarantee of any future additional waves.

What happened to "we are going to tie a major risk and trust the demand out there and do our largest reprint ever?"

I'm hearing the same from my flgs.

That's frustrating to hear if true. I'm not buying in full force until this gets sorted. I really have enjoyed playing with my starter decks and on TTS.

Silvard

Buying at the box level assures you 6 legendaries per box. Which is my reccomendation

Yeah, that'd be great but they're not open to that. The ones that can stomach RNG cards (from Magic) tended to only play limited, which isn't a thing here, and the rest like deterministic distribution a la LCG or X-wing or something.

This is really weird to hear - in Poland we have localized version which is in constant supply so our market is flooded with awakenings rares and stuff like ObiWan goes for 2 euro.

Yeah, that'd be great but they're not open to that. The ones that can stomach RNG cards (from Magic) tended to only play limited, which isn't a thing here, and the rest like deterministic distribution a la LCG or X-wing or something.

The whole Destiny is currently less than 1/3 of old magic Type2 (when it used to have 2 blocks and numbered edition core set).

Plus you need only around 15 cards with dice and rest is dirt cheap commons/uncommons. The guy who won Euro used only 3 or 4 legendaries (and not the most expensive ones) plus bunch of rares.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

What happened to "we are going to take a major risk and trust the demand out there and do our largest reprint ever?"

meh, don't think what was on the first boat is it.

People complained about the day 1 supply of SoR and then more showed up afterwards.

They said it's a huge reprint, just because we aren't seeing a lot of it doesn't mean there isn't much more coming.

ghostmind

meh, don't think what was on the first boat is it.

People complained about the day 1 supply of SoR and then more showed up afterwards.

They said it's a huge reprint, just because we aren't seeing a lot of it doesn't mean there isn't much more coming.

I hope you are right, because my shop folks were pretty sure this was it.

Anyway, grabbed 10 additional packs along with the box, so I shouldn't be that bad off.

1 of 5 stores in my area has Awakenings and they're holding one box for me. I picked up a Spirit box and got a 2nd Palpatine and the Blackmail I needed.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I hope you are right, because my shop folks were pretty sure this was it.

Anyway, grabbed 10 additional packs along with the box, so I shouldn't be that bad off.

I think you'll see a steady supply of AWK hitting stores for the next 2 months or so.

If it's a gigantic / largest reprint ever, that doesn't mean one drop of boxes in the first week

Anyone knows if "Best Defence" promo cards from store championship kits are worth anything ?

I've played Palpatine today and went 2-3 I think I'm getting rid of him since I do much better with multiple character decks.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Anyone knows if "Best Defence" promo cards from store championship kits are worth anything ?

I've played Palpatine today and went 2-3 I think I'm getting rid of him since I do much better with multiple character decks.

What'd you lose to?

The key i found when doing well with him was playing ver defensively. If you can extend his health to 35 or so between removal, shields, Rise Again, illusions, you win a lot.

That said, the Unkar/9s/FOT deck that has cropped up may really chase him out of the meta, a pity since he's so good at killing Poe/Maz

First lose was to Poe Maz who hit two Falcons in round one and followed with Rocket Launcher and Thermo on turn two.

After that I met hero mill (ePadme+eMotha) which I won

Then another Poe Maz but without godlike rolls so I got him.

4th one was mirror which I lost

and last game again Obi Rey - I didn't draw any removal in first two turns which costed me 12 unblockable damage from Vibroblade.

I made some small mistakes but honestly I feel like this deck is super vulnerable to enemy rolls since there's very limited hp to mitigate damage.

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/11072/palpatinev3-1.0

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
First lose was to Poe Maz who hit two Falcons in round one and followed with Rocket Launcher and Thermo on turn two.

After that I met hero mill (ePadme+eMotha) which I won

Then another Poe Maz but without godlike rolls so I got him.

4th one was mirror which I lost

and last game again Obi Rey - I didn't draw any removal in first two turns which costed me 12 unblockable damage from Vibroblade.

I made some small mistakes but honestly I feel like this deck is super vulnerable to enemy rolls since there's very limited hp to mitigate damage.

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/11072/palpatinev3-1.0

Why holdout blaster? That's a trap card. SPending your resources on an upgrade will get you killed.

I think you may have plenty of mitigation in there actually, the real trick is mulligaining hard for it.

You have to play hyper defensively with Palp vs Poe/Maz. Being unable to mitigate a Poe die on turn 1 and 2 cost you that game. Force Illusion counts, Rejuvenate counts, etc

But basically Palp wants to hoard all resources to get Rise Again and Illusions out, and possibly to roll in a holocron es for power or pay for Force Lightning

Bii

I was able to secure an Awakenings booster box from one of my local stores. Got the last of three boxes they got in.

vxR3PFL.jpg

I'll open this up in a bit to see what I get. I'm not sure if I'll just collect the cards are actually play them. I guess it depends what Legendaries I get. I suppose I could buy the Starter Sets to see if I like playing the game instead of watching match videos. I think there's a large-ish scene where I'm at.

First store tournament in my area (Buffalo NY) was today. Only 4 showed up and I went 1-2 with ePalpatine. It was my first time playing anything other than starter decks and I learned quite a bit. Traded away force speed and some others to fill some gaps and now I only need about 7 cards. The winner played Han Rey and we all split the prize boosters.

borghe

Played Han Snap.... really interesting night.. so, I rolled like ass.. I mean ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.. my damage output the entire night was miserable!!!!!!!!! but.... but... I still managed to squeak out wins and went 4-0.. against Palp Trooper, eGrievous Ventress, and Rey Luke. Now the Rey luke player made a major misplay.. but I really don't feel it was as major as he indicated. He left 4 damage on the table to claim Carbon Freezing, thinking I rolled Han out (there was no reason for him to think this... and he was only pissed at himself.. there was no table weirdness or anything) So he was pissed at leaving that 4 damage on the table insisting that could have killed han.. but had he not, han could have still had that 2nd die out the following round which he didn't.. and who knows how the game would have proceeded..

anywho, even with the lack of damage, this deck has SO much going for it. there is so much choke going on in here.. I am not a huge fan of 3PO, but in this deck he gives you crazy options, and there are so man 2+ sides for him to hit. My favorite was, after my opponent claimed.. with 6 dice out, han's 2 disrupt and a resource on his other die, and 4 blanks.. and only one card in my hand.. my opponent claims.. clearly thinking he was maybe going to 2-3 damage or slightly more short of a god roll. Instead I use han's resource die to deploy 3PO, roll out 3PO and use his ability on Han's disrupt to resolve 2 focus flipping two DL-44's to 3 dishing out six damage from nowhere. Now granted I started the next round with only 1 han die, but he had two weapons and fast hands on him, and emperor only had 1 health left. my odds of killing emp before he could resolve were terrific.

Top Bottom