• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gunfights in movies and TV

As we all know about action movies, they usually have a pretty damn good all out, gun blazing, bullet spraying, case flying, mook blasting, adrenaline pumping gunfight. But what are some of the best gunfight in media, like tv shows, animated or otherwise and films, animated or otherwise? I know I know, but comics books have good gunfights and they're media too. I know that, but I really like gunfights when they are in motion, not hating on comic books or manga, but when you can see if and hear it, it's just a bit better.

Anyway, to start this off and to make sure to get this outta the way, I'll go with the a classic gunfight, John Woo's Hardboiled.

The best nominees have already been thrown out there so I'll add both Shoot 'Em Up and Free Fire to the pile. (even though they're not the best - the fact they're both basically one movie-length gunfight is worth something)

And of course, Way of the Gun's climax.

Loxley

uzrF9Mb.gif

ZUEbnvq.gif

In others news, Jesus Christ The Matrix is almost 20 years old.

haven't watched enough media to know what's best, but the 1st person camera is a nice throwback to video games that i appreciate

Way of the Gun has one of my favorites. Warning - it is quite graphic, so don't click at work or if you don't like blood. It's an incredibly sloppy fight overall, which is why I like it so much. As a piece of narrative design, it's great too - there's a clear goal that everyone is fighting over, and you get a complete picture of the terrain/available cover as the fight goes on. It sets up its own logic and sticks to it.

I can't find a good video of all of it, but the last 10 or so minutes of the 2007 3:10 to Yuma is also really well done. It's a bit more fantastical (well, more old-school spaghetti western) but it works so damn well and the music is incredible.

For such a popular show, the action direction has always been such shit.

Why are they charging him instead of shooting him? Pistols have an effective range of tens of yards, you don't need to run up to the guy to shoot him with one.

This was the one scene in JW2 I disliked cause of that. In most sequences hes fighting in closed quarters, indoors, lots of cover so he's always taking out guys coming out of hiding/cover, or moving from spot to spot. But this museum battle was just big open spaces and guys running at him.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ha. I wonder what the best literary gun battle is.

For my money, something from a Stephen Hunter novel with Bob Lee Swagger. He has so many, hard yo pick just one. Probably the Vietnam battle where Bob Lee, a sniper, picks off an entire NVA COMPANY (like 100+ men) one by one each time his spotter pops a flare. Amazing stuff.

Top Bottom