• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Colour me surprisingly disappointed so far. Something about this really isnt clicking with me. The whole experience feels really cheap and rushed. I'm not even impressed by how it looks.

Boney

Banned
EatChildren said:
Colour me surprisingly disappointed so far. Something about this really isnt clicking with me. The whole experience feels really cheap and rushed. I'm not even impressed by how it looks.
suuuuucks... was kinda hyping it..

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EatChildren said:

No nothing of any merit in your opinion?

dammit. Pre-ordered mine from Amazon uk. have til wait until friday for release day (knowing my Posty, he won't deliver so it's more like pic up on sat)

hearing mixed messages ONMUK gave it 85% said it was a great game...

NateDrake

jufonuk said:

dammit. Pre-ordered mine from Amazon uk. have til wait until friday for release day (knowing my Posty, he won't deliver so it's more like pic up on sat)

hearing mixed messages ONMUK gave it 85% said it was a great game...
It is a fine game is you like the Mercs type gamestyle. It increases with mission difficulty and offers some decent variety with different missions type i.e. defeat as many as you can, stay alive for so long, etc. It's a little more fleshed out than Mercs in RE4/RE5 but it is still Mercs. So far I have over 8hrs into it and my average playtime is 50mins.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
NateDrake said:
It is a fine game is you like the Mercs type gamestyle. It increases with mission difficulty and offers some decent variety with different missions type i.e. defeat as many as you can, stay alive for so long, etc. It's a little more fleshed out than Mercs in RE4/RE5 but it is still Mercs. So far I have over 8hrs into it and my average playtime is 50mins.
yeah loved Mercs on Resi 4.. how does the move and shoot work? works well or breaks the game?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jufonuk said:

Not necessarily. Im still getting into it so it might take some time to click. I really dig Mercs so this will no doubt grow on me. Im pretty disappointed by the production values though. It might be using shaders, but its chock full of all these little blemishes that drag down the presentation in my opinion. Most disappointing is how little oomph each gun has. Unlike Mercs in RE4/RE5, nearly every weapon feels like a pea shooter. Shitful sound effects and poor effects.

Meh. I'm sure I'll get into it. Im just...underwhelmed, so far.

NateDrake

jufonuk said:
yeah loved Mercs on Resi 4.. how does the move and shoot work? works well or breaks the game?
It works fine for what it is. I only have used it a handful of times as I prefer third-person aiming and movement for everything. Move & shoot is limited as you can't move the aim of the weapon. It's always straight in front of you. It's nice to have when you see a lot of enemies right in front of you and you can blow them away with a grenade/shotgun type weapon.

Certainly not a major addition but a welcome one.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EatChildren said:
Not necessarily. Im still getting into it so it might take some time to click. I really dig Mercs so this will no doubt grow on me. Im pretty disappointed by the production values though. It might be using shaders, but its chock full of all these little blemishes that drag down the presentation in my opinion. Most disappointing is how little oomph each gun has. Unlike Mercs in RE4/RE5, nearly every weapon feels like a pea shooter. Shitful sound effects and poor effects.

Watched the captivate trailer and must admit that the gun sound effects I heard, sounded underwhelming, that will distract and detract from my enjoyment as it wont have that viseral oomph to the game...I want it to sound meaty, menacing and OTT..not jsut "pfft" splat..yeah really random complaint, or is it? maybe the poor sound design it highlighting other flaws othe game? anyways wont have it until (hopefully friday) , as for the move and shoot sounds ok-ish way of doing things... can kinda guess from desciption, that I will have to stop aim then keep moving allowing me to shoot...would having a fluid Aim and shoot break the traditional vibe of the game? I know Mers is meant to be a fast paced action game, maybe Capcom where worried about turning it into what feels like an TPS??

Sorry if it's been discussed, but I have two quick questions that aren't addressed in the OP.

1) I feel like the answer to this pretty much has to be yes since it's such an obvious feature, but I want to make sure the game has online leaderboards before I buy it, and

2) Are the skills limited to campaign mode with a separate score attack with no skills? I really like the idea of the skills for co-op, but I like my competitive score attack games to be as purely skill-based as possible, and the skills, especially with the level-ups, seem like they'd make the game more fun from a strategic view, but less as a comparison of skill.

Can't wait to read more impressions. I really, really like Mercenaries and having a handheld version sounds awesome. The $40 price for games almost kept me from getting a 3DS, but I'm going to get so many hours of play out of this I couldn't care less. Barring the absence of online leaderboards and/ or too many more "meh" impressions and I can't wait to pick this up next week (left yesterday on a week-long trip, wish it would've come out two days sooner).

MooMoo

dr3upmushroom said:
Sorry if it's been discussed, but I have two quick questions that aren't addressed in the OP.

1) I feel like the answer to this pretty much has to be yes since it's such an obvious feature, but I want to make sure the game has online leaderboards before I buy it, and

2) Are the skills limited to campaign mode with a separate score attack with no skills? I really like the idea of the skills for co-op, but I like my competitive score attack games to be as purely skill-based as possible, and the skills, especially with the level-ups, seem like they'd make the game more fun from a strategic view, but less as a comparison of skill.

Can't wait to read more impressions. I really, really like Mercenaries and having a handheld version sounds awesome. The $40 price for games almost kept me from getting a 3DS, but I'm going to get so many hours of play out of this I couldn't care less. Barring the absence of online leaderboards and/ or too many more "meh" impressions and I can't wait to pick this up next week (left yesterday on a week-long trip, wish it would've come out two days sooner).
I don't actually have the game but here's what I believe to be true:
1. I'm 99% sure someone said there was no leaderboards. Sorry =/
2. As far as I know, nope. If I'm right, skills can be used in any mode. I don't think there's a filter for online coop mode for "no skills activated." I can see why you would want this though. The only option you have is to turn them off/have no skills activated.

Edit: I also have to say the meh/negative impressions and all the Capcom rage in the other thread is making me have second doubts about this game. But it already shipped, so here's to hoping I enjoy it nonetheless.

Wow, that's really disappointing and really fucking stupid. A huge part of the fun of games like this comes from comparing scores. All of the complaining about 3DS ganes costing too much really hits home when they lack a basic function that dozens of $1 iPhone games manage to include.

I've been anticipating this too much to not get it because of this but shit, I'm surprised they didnt at least take the to include leaderboards.

Tenbatsu said:
With earphone too?

As I said last page I think it's especially noticeable with earphones, but it's also advantageous to use them due to surround sound, reading the proximity of enemies etc.

dr3upmushroom said:

No, skills aren't limited in any mode but you are always free to turn them off, and there's even an achievement for beating one of the later tough missions without skills on.

Kolgar

I bit on this thanks to the $10 gift card deal for Best Buy online orders. You can pick it up in-store so I can still have it today!

Looking forward to feeding my 3DS some more games. I'll have five now; this is my fourth in a week. :p

EatChildren said:

Bleh, I've noticed this from the videos I've watched. In Mercenaries for RE4/RE5 the enemies have a great sense of weight and your weapons feel really impactful. In this one it looks like your shooting enemies filled with pillows! -_-

Sadist

Weird, the demo I played a few months felt different from what you guys are discribing.

Oh well, I just received a message that I won a copy of the game. :D So, if the game dissapoints I can't say that I threw away my money.

Yama

EatChildren said:
At first I was slightly impressed to see a different route than the typical Mercenaries 'stage selection > GO!' formula, but the other missions only served as training for the aforementioned anyway. The door was open for something unique, but nothing came of it. With that said, I got over it quickly, because quite honestly I was expecting nothing more or less than what we received.

WTF!?

That audio is pretty damn atrocious. That's like 2005 DS era shit! What gives?

Man, i'm really starting to regret paying full price for this =/

Yama

AgentOtaku said:
WTF!?

That audio is pretty damn atrocious. That's like 2005 DS era shit! What gives?

Man, i'm really starting to regret paying full price for this =/
It really is, haha. Nothing is worse than HUNK's voice though. I know they were going for a muffled style, but it really does sound like a reproduced Tiger electronic handheld.

Baloonatic said:
Nevermind, forgot it was in the OP

I love your av.

Effect

Sounds for the guns have been bad from the very start and it seems it's continued in RE:Rev from the footage I've seen of it. I was worried this would be the cast in the final version of Mercenaries. Though I've never played the mode before so I'm hoping it will click with me.

Yama said:
It really is, haha. Nothing is worse than HUNK's voice though. I know they were going for a muffled style, but it really does sound like a reproduced Tiger electronic handheld.

I love your av.

*sigh*

I guess it's the gameplay that really matters in the end, so here's hoping I have fun

Still, I really hope Revelations doesn't sound this bad. Anyone who played the included demo, can you confirm if it is indeed 2005 in there as well?

Sadist

Question in advance: is the demo of Revelations locked or playable from the start?

I know it's like a three minute demo, but I'm still curious about it :p

AgentOtaku said:
*sigh*

I guess it's the gameplay that really matters in the end, so here's hoping I have fun

Still, I really hope Revelations doesn't sound this bad. Anyone who played the included demo, can you confirm if it is indeed 2005 in there as well?

If you loved Mercs on the consoles, you'll love this. In fact, you'll probably love this more if you're a fan of unlocking content and leveling up in games. I dig the feeling of progression and improving my characters.

In short, I'm personally enjoying it quite a bit; it almost pulled me away from Radiata Historia, which is strong praise for me.

There are definitely negatives, though; sound being one of them.

Sadist said:
Question in advance: is the demo of Revelations locked or playable from the start?

I know it's like a three minute demo, but I'm still curious about it :p

Unlocked from the start. The sound isn't great there either, but they do more with ambient sound and clearly used higher quality sound samples to create a moody atmosphere.

Gun effects still sound like doodie, though.

jokkir said:
First time seeing these videos. Why is it that the enemies in the back just stand there and not go after you? It seems odd.
They get more numerous and aggressive later on. The first mission with Zealots was intense.

I agree with Vyse, it's Mercs as usual, plus portable and with a good sense of progression.

By the way, if you're planning on getting this game I suggest you earn 95 play coins. :p 80 for the eight characters' loadouts plus 15 for the extra loadout.

(You can set the date ahead a day and earn 10 extra coins, then set it back to the correct day and earn 10 again, etc. It won't screw anything up.)

Scores sound about right, considering the content/price ratio. Forget about the iPhone value comparisons - more 3DS publishers need to get it into their heads that charging $40 for games that would be $5-$15 on PSN/XBLA is simply not acceptable.

Father_Brain said:
Scores sound about right, considering the content/price ratio. Forget about the iPhone value comparisons - more 3DS publishers need to get it into their heads that charging $40 for games that would be $5-$15 on PSN/XBLA is simply not acceptable.
If they charged 15$ for this game, everyone would think it's a shit product though.

I'll just wait for it to be 20$.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm still waiting on my copy to arrive, but it looks like I was right in applying some of my Amazon credit to only pay $20 for this. It should be fun nevertheless. Maybe just not worth the full price.

matmanx1

UncleSporky said:
They get more numerous and aggressive later on. The first mission with Zealots was intense.

I agree with Vyse, it's Mercs as usual, plus portable and with a good sense of progression.

By the way, if you're planning on getting this game I suggest you earn 95 play coins. :p 80 for the eight characters' loadouts plus 15 for the extra loadout.

(You can set the date ahead a day and earn 10 extra coins, then set it back to the correct day and earn 10 again, etc. It won't screw anything up.)

I have like 250 coins saved up. How do you spend them to unlock stuff?

Man

EatChildren said:

Impressions on the included demo please.

matmanx1 said:
I have like 250 coins saved up. How do you spend them to unlock stuff?

Go into the character selection screen, then press L to enter the weapon loadout menu.

Now, just select something that's locked, and it'll ask you if you want to spend coins to unlock it.

MNC

Game Features:
- 8 playable characters
- At least 9 types of enemies
- 30 missions
- At least 12 stages
- First or third person shooting
- Biohazard Revelations Pilot Version demo
- Online or local multiplayer (2 players)
- One and one savefile only (1)

Yeah so what if I'm not the first.

artwalknoon said:
IGN review is up. 6.5 sounds bout right to me. Sorry can't link, I'm on my phone. Basically says how shallow the game is.

It's ok, already posted.

Man, fuck this game. I'm just gonna sell it or exchange it for something else.

Like the save thing being locked doesn't bother me. But just hearing about no leaderboards, shitty sound, missing big franchise characters(Leon!), wonky background visuals and to top it off, paying the full $40 price for this just pisses me off now haha.

Capcom is one of my favorite publisher/developers but fuck do they phone it in sometimes.

I've played for over an hour and I'm enjoying myself. Played a few online matches and they were free of lag or connection problems. It's a great feeling when you get in the zone and are flying through enemies with melee attacks. Having fun so far.

I'm maxed out at 300 coins and I'll spend as much as I can to unlock everything ASAP.

I wonder if that's more or less the same as getting a used game with an undeleted save file. Ah jeez.

Top Bottom