• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathon Blow: PS4 Games Were Running on Dev Kits, Not High-End PCs

dLMN8R

Sorry for the double post. This is very possible as well and could very well be the case, but still why not show your game running on a dev kit?

Now you have this news coming out and hitting sites and forums giving the mentality that you're really not all that ready to show your games. Not to mention that you're game won't be that impressive come launch.

I'm not trying to say this whole thing is a lie, but there could be countless explanations for why a game was running on a PC instead of a devkit. Maybe things were working perfectly fine until a week before E3 and they had to show the PC version running instead. Maybe something else.

Doesn't necessarily make it right that they show the PC version and say it's the Xbox version, but it's also not enough to condemn the entire show.

This is just click bait to pile on the outrage of the week.

Karak

So both companies had games working on dev kits and what appear to be on final hardware. What exactly is the issue? I can't believe J. Blow is surprised by dev kits running games that seems oddly disconnected with what happens all the time.

nbthedude

This dude Blow seems angry. Does MS still owe him a check or something?

I think he just hates corporate dickishness and therefore isn't afraid to toss some fuel on the fire when the info he has seems relevant.

I don't blame him.

But in this particular case, he was literally responding to people claiming PS4 games were running on PCs too, which he could personally confirm not to be the case.

JABEE

So both companies had games working on dev kits and what appear to be on final hardware. What exactly is the issue? I can't believe J. Blow is surprised by dev kits running games that seems oddly disconnected with what happens all the time.

There were pictures under an entire row of Xbox One kiosks showing One demos running on powerful Nvidia GPUs.

I think he just hates corporate dickishness and therefore isn't afraid to toss some fuel on the fire when the info he has seems relevant.

I don't blame him.

But in this particular case, he was literally responding to people claiming PS4 games were running on PCs too, which he could personally confirm not to be the case.

There has been "corporate dickishness" for years. It cant be a coincidence that he has just started railing on everything MS ever since his reveal with Sony.

I know he has talked about his problems with them over how XBLA was handled but now its like he is firing on all cylinders on everything.

Karak

There were pictures under an entire row of Xbox One kiosks showing One demos running on powerful Nvidia GPUs.

Right I know. But again where is the surprise that dev kits are being used at an E3? How are people surprised at this and pretending that both didn't do it?

Is it just because Nvidia cards are in there? So we assume that to make them appear more powerful they wouldn't use a powerful ATI card but WOULD use a powerful...Nvidia card? And weren't dev kits using Nvidia cards at one point.

fillup

What is the deal with this Jonathon Blow dude? Did MS piss in his cornflakes or what. MS wouldn't publish his game? He sure seems angry with them. lol.

nbthedude

There has been "corporate dickishness" for years. It cant be a coincidence that he has just started railing on everything MS ever since his reveal with Sony.

I know he has talked about his problems with them over how XBLA was handled but now its like he is firing on all cylinders on everything.

No, if you'll remember several years ago he took E and the MS guys to task for achievements on an E3 Giant Bombcast for not letting him go into a game without a title screen with prompts and other things. He was arguing that their closed platform limits artistic vision in a number of ways.

That was years before The Witness was a PS4 game.

x3sphere

Were the controllers wired or wireless?

The Below image nabbed from this video looks to show a cable coming out the front, assuming USB, and then the rear all covered up, I'm assuming for cables and vents, as the consoles were behind the glass.

Wired. All controllers were hooked up at the show (at least those on the show floor anyway, didn't have access to Sony's upstairs section).

Ok I will probably get his game but he is far too vocal and angry. He just seems extremely full of himself and pissy. Seems like a real douche.

nbthedude

What is the deal with this Jonathon Blow dude? Did MS piss in his cornflakes or what. MS wouldn't publish his game? He sure seems angry with them. lol.

I'm not sure why the mods decided to make this thread about Jonathan Blow rather than the info given multiple sources, that wasn't my intent, but oh well.

Still, I think it's pretty tangential to the issue at hand who confirms it.

THE:MILKMAN

This isn't about shitting on the One for me. It is being very surprised that Microsoft seem to be following what they did with the 360.

For both hardware and software Microsoft haven't given themselves or devs a lot of time to get things done without problems.

With how long this generation has been, you would think Microsoft would have started development earlier than they seem to have.

No, if you'll remember several years ago he took E and the MS guys to task for achievements on an E3 Giant Bombcast for not letting him go into a game without a title screen with prompts and other things. He was arguing that their closed platform limits artistic vision in a number of ways.

That was years before The Witness was a PS4 game.

It was not at this level where he goes off on everything. There is a big difference. Now he is yelling about things that have nothing to do with his game or the XBLA system at all too.

nbthedude

It was not at this level where he goes off on everything. There is a big difference. Now he is yelling about things that have nothing to do with his game or the XBLA system at all too.

I'm not sure how you interpret those tweets as "yelling." Blow doesn't seem like the kind of guy that ever really "yells." Maybe you are just overinterpreting based upon the context of "console warz: the revenge."

Vestal

Gold Member
there is another possibility which a PhotoShop that was made actually made me think off. That big tower PC could be an xbox1 cloud emulator and the small box in the other pictures shown could be the dev kit.

speculation. But that's all everyone is doing anyways

EDIT: IGNORE THE ABOVE.. Detective Gaf was able to figure out that the box on the right probably is for headsets.

DBT85

there is another possibility which a PhotoShop that was made actually made me think off. That big tower PC could be an xbox1 cloud emulator and the small box in the other pictures shown could be the dev kit.

Wasn't the small box in those pictures smaller than an actual Xbone?

I'm not sure how you interpret those tweets as "yelling." Blow doesn't seem like the kind of guy that ever really "yells." Maybe you are just overinterpreting based upon the context of "console warz: the revenge."

It just seems like every week there are 2 more Blow quotes calling someone a liar. Its not a good look.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

You have to be trolling at this point surely?

The second, smaller box is most likely a UPS.

Cloud emulator, what the fuck am I reading?

Edit: There you go, the smaller box is just the retail packaging for the headphones, LOL

if it means anything, when I played Killer Instinct, one of us accidentally pressed a button that brought us to a Xbox One Guide looking screen (tiles with Xbox related options to select).

not 100% sure what it was though. All I know is that Killer Instinct was smooth as hell the entire time :p

Vestal

Gold Member
You have to be trolling at this point surely?

The second, smaller box is most likely a UPS.

Cloud emulator, what the fuck am I reading?

Edit: There you go, the smaller box is just the retail packaging for the headphones, LOL

Yeah I actually said it was possibly a UPS hehe. and yeah saw that picture.

Well The whole cloud emulation thing is something I assume developers will need to test games in regards to the DRM being put in place, as well as to test the multiplayer aspects of their games.

KidBeta

Yeah I actually said it was possibly a UPS hehe. and yeah saw that picture.

Well The whole cloud emulation thing is something I assume developers will need to test games in regards to the DRM being put in place, as well as to test the multiplayer aspects of their games.

The dev versions of the games don't have the DRM.

Vestal

Gold Member
Does that mean that Xbone's will be easily portable to Windows? Chalk up another win for PC gamers!!!!

Easier is the word. However you are still coding with Custom hardware in mind. I guess it depends on the similarities between Xbones DirectX and PCs.

Even though I am a PlayStation supporter I find it a bit irritating that every little piece of non-relevant crap is used to bash the Xbone. This has to stop!

Posted?

asd.png

And yeah, Jonathan Blow comes off as a bit of a dick in everything I see.

jet1911

Even though I am a PlayStation supporter I find it a bit irritating that every little piece of non-relevant crap is used to bash the Xbone. This has to stop!

Te worse is that all it take is an out of context tweet/picture and boom a 15 pages Xbone hate thread is born.

Why does this ultimately matter? Is it some indication that MS is going to have to delay past November? Because if it isn't then what is the point of making a case about it?

Forza/Quantum Break graphics/performance don't mean much when it's not actually running on the right hardware.

If Sony games were running on the same silicone that we'll get, and the Microsoft games were running as has been discussed at length on much higher specced GPUs, then what people saw form Microsoft is not representative on what we'll get.

Owned.

J-Rzez

Wasn't that a final prophecy/rumor? That we'll see the games at E3 for MS turn for the worse visually when it's actually running on the console hardware itself?

nib95

Banned
I did say this would be the case, at least for the PS4. Game demo's using Dual Shock 4's were Division, Destiny, NFS Rivals, AC BF and all the first party stuff.

The rumours are however that the Xbox One demo's were running off of PC's either mimicking XO hardware or even having superior hardware.

VanWinkle

I did say this would be the case, at least for the PS4. Game demo's using Dual Shock 4's were Division, Destiny, NFS Rivals, AC BF and all the first party stuff.

The rumours are however that the Xbox One demo's were running off of PC's either mimicking XO hardware or even having superior hardware.

Thief was played with a DS4 as well.

Top Bottom