• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Gear New Series |OT| No Longer Starring Chris Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash_69

Really enjoyed the last episode. Reviews were very good and the last segment was a nice send off. Genuinely watchable for me with some laughs.

Scrap Evans and possibly Sabine and we're good for series two.

Megasoum

Banned
Really boring episode.

Btw what's the song playing while Eddie Jordan is doing his jump? I know that song but I can't place it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Segments were pretty poor across the whole episode, NSX one probably the best. Even as a season culminating thing, the jump challenge was kind of sterile. There's just so little chemistry, it's gut wrenching.

Evans' segment on the MG was pretty telling of the gap between him and Clarkson. Just didn't feel nearly as passionate. The car wasn't as cool, the information wasn't presented in as great of a way, the humour wasn't as great, hell even the shots were lacking.

And wow, 6 episodes and that's the end of the season.

What now? Ejecting Evans' won't solve it. You need hosts with personalities that work together and strong ones at that. And what sucks about that is I don't any of the 3 best presenters work well with each other.
- Harris is verry matter-of-fact, he doesn't joke as much
- Rory the most enthusiastic but he's not really that funny and his exchanges with Harris are patently awkward
- Matt, the goddamn American, gets closest to the charm of Top Gear, but despite being the funniest presenter, I think his sense of humour clashes pretty often with Evans, and don't see it mixing well with others.

It's sad, I don't know what this show can do to fix it's trajectory. Even if you fix Matt up with 2 people he can better play off of and resign Harris and Rory to Extra Gear, that's pretty sad considering how strong Harris' performance reviews are.

EDIT: Also Eddie Jordan adds nothing to the show and Sabine is awkward and just not well suited to presenting IMO.

CCS

Banned
And the ratings slide continues:

Chris Evans’ Top Gear hit a new ratings low for its series finale on Sunday, finishing with fewer than 2 million viewers, lower than any episode in the Jeremy Clarkson era.

The sixth episode of the first post-Clarkson series drew 1.9 million viewers from 8pm on Sunday, nearly 1 million viewers down on the previous week and less than half its launch overnight audience of 4.3 million.

No episode in the programme’s Clarkson era, beginning in 2002, had fewer than 2 million viewers.

Last night’s audience may have suffered as a result of the good weather and ITV’s coverage of France’s 5-2 Euro 2016 quarter final win over Iceland.

But it is another blow for the BBC2 show, last year estimated as the BBC’s most valuable global property, generating £50m a year for its commercial arm, BBC Worldwide.

Evans’ reinvention of Top Gear has suffered a mauling at the hands of many critics, but appeared to be winning some of them over in recent weeks.

Last night’s audience is below the previous record overnight low of 2.3 million just two weeks ago.

Evans said before the programme’s launch that he would be “disappointed” if he drew fewer than 5 million viewers.

Even recording people who recorded it and watch it over the next seven days, the series finale is unlikely to have many more than half of that figure.

Mohonky

All Im reading lately is that Chris Evans is getting hus ass torn to shreds. Everything from coworkers thinking hes a dick, crew members accusing him of bullying and the higher ups are basically sharpening their axes right now.

I'll be surprised if he makes another season

Mascot

The show isn't great, but it was criminally shortsighted of the BBC to schedule Top Gear so that it overlapped the European Championships, and to put it out at exactly the same time of day when matches were being played (and simultaneously covered by the BBC..!).

As daft decisions go it's right up there with Evans only bringing the clothes he stole from that homeless guy at Kings Cross tube station. Christ, the pits of that teeshirt and the crotch of those jeans must be a fucking biohazard by now. He'll have to chisel them off when he finally decides that the shame is too great.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/hot-tv/527365/Top-Gear-viewers-diss-Chris-Evans-for-wearing-same-clothes

Joni

Fire all the presenters. Give millions to Rowan Atkinson to rethink the show. Have him host it as Johnny English and Blackadder.

Not much of a slide, considering it rallied by almost a million last week, and considering it was on directly opposite the quarter-finals of the Euros.

Yes, these figures are bad (although hardly disastrous, considering the scale and the demographics of the competition, its nature as a BBC Two show and the inevitable catch-up viewing), but I'm more than a little tired of the way in which this show keeps on getting shanked by media outlets which were set against it before we knew a damned thing about it.

Fire all the presenters. Give millions to Rowan Atkinson to rethink the show. Have him host it as Johnny English and Blackadder.

Atkinson's a fine actor, but he's horrendously boring as an onscreen presence in his own right.

All Im reading lately is that Chris Evans is getting hus ass torn to shreds. Everything from coworkers thinking hes a dick, crew members accusing him of bullying and the higher ups are basically sharpening their axes right now.

I'll be surprised if he makes another season

Doesn't he have a history of being like this?

JoeNut

It's funny that Evans is probably the weakest link in the show right now, i can get by with Matt le blanc although he isn't fantastic.

The best presenters are the 2 guys id never heard of before, which is ironic.

Rich!

The show isn't great, but it was criminally shortsighted of the BBC to schedule Top Gear so that it overlapped the European Championships, and to put it out at exactly the same time of day when matches were being played (and simultaneously covered by the BBC..!).

yeeeahhh....can't put all the blame on the euro game:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36701712

ITV attracted biggest audience of the night, as an average 6.6 million viewers tuned in to see France's 5-2 win over Iceland in Euro 2016.

BBC One's Antiques Roadshow, which also overlapped with Top Gear, was watched by an average of 3.9 million.

BBC have completely fucked up Top Gear. They need to fire Evans, preferably out of some sort of cannon, and put Matt, Chris and Rory at the forefront next season. Get rid of the ruined star in a cheap ass car segment and replace it with something else. They have a chance to salvage this show, but it's likely it'll continue down the same designed-by-committee path to hell with blinders on.

Jacknapes

What they need to do is completely re-think the show. It's a formula which worked when Clarkson and Co were presenting, but for some reason it;s not got the same vibe. That, and Chris Evans isn't the best choice for anything. He's too "in your face" for presenting, in fact i think he'd best just stick to radio.

Chris has stepped down.

rXPKzjt.png

Scotch

What a waste of a season. They should have used this season to flesh out new ideas and build up chemistry with a new trio of presenters. Instead they took the old formula, put some twists on old segments that don't work, and varied the presenters so much they had no time to build chemistry with each other.

- Get rid of Evans, Sabine and Jordan, and get the other three together in the studio each week. Matt, Harris, and Rory may not gel that well together quite yet, but I think it could improve with more time in the studio. All three can do entertaining car segments, at least.

- Having TWO stars in a reasonably priced car was a disaster. In fact, it was usually Clarkson who made those interviews entertaining at all, so I'd get rid of it completely. At least scrap the rally part of the track.

- Don't have all presenters shout "HE'S CALLED THE STIG" in unison like some kind of goddamned children's show.

Interesting!

Probably for the best. I think they have enough talent on the rest of the team to cope. What they really need is a good producer in now to reshape what they've got.

liquidtmd

Banned
To be honest, i take that tweet at face value.

He tried, he misjudged his approach, got torn to shreds so is stepping away.

He's a successful broadcaster in other areas, is financially sorted, has some sexual conduct allegation review ongoing and generally probably thinks 'I can't do what's needed for Season 2'

Fair play.

Busty

Banned
UK comedian John Bishop would have been a better choice than Evans but the question is A) does he like cars and B) how would the international audiences take to his accent?

Keep Sabine, Chris Harris and Rory Reid and ditch the others with LeBlanc possibly making a guest appearance at some point owing to his CBS sitcom commitments.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If they are going to try to give this another go, I think they clearly need to find a pre-established group who already have some kind of chemistry. Of course, I don't know anything about British bro-celebrities, so the only pair I can come up with is Mitchell and Webb, but I'm sure there are guys who have some kind of rapport that they can throw a few million dollars at in order to get them to host a show about cars.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
IMHO, Top Gear is meant to be entertaining, not a straight on comedy show.
Clarkson, Hammond and May were funny, the current cast isn't.
Why not try a more entertaining, less comedic approach to the format with the current cast? Extra Gear was / is fun to watch, why not go from there?
The first Top Gear episodes with the three weren't that straight on comedy either.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Statement from Mark Linsey, Director, BBC Studios on Top Gear: “Chris is stepping down from his duties on Top Gear. He says he gave it his best shot doing everything he could to make the show a success. He firmly believes that the right people remain, on both the production team and presenting team to take the show forward and make it the hit we want it to be. The new series has so far notched up over 30m views in the UK alone and has already been sold to 130 territories worldwide.

Chris Evans said: “I have never worked with a more committed and driven team than the team I have worked with over the last twelve months. I feel like my standing aside is the single best thing I can now do to help the cause. I remain a huge fan of the show, always have been, always will be. I will continue to focus on my radio show and the allied events that it encompasses.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/statements/top-gear-statement

Kuros

They should have taken some more time, rebooted the show and then Evans might have worked.

Trying to just carry on was never going to work. There are reasons the show worked before in the format and they all walked out the door when Clarkson got drunk and punched a researcher.

In conclusion, you don't fuck with Antiques Roadshow.

EDIT: They need to get entertaining car journos to host Top Gear. That's why it worked. Chris Harris works well enough, not perfect but with time he'll get better. Rory seems to be decent, also will get better with time. I think Matt Le Blanc was pretty good but I don't know if he can stick around. Sabine feels like a second Stig except not as fun or ridiculous.

What are Tiff and Vicki doing?

Probably more to do with his up coming sexual assault case.

I'm not sure. If so, he'd step down from Radio 2, which is much bigger (also the BBC could then move Sara Cox on to breakfast which'd deal with a lot of 'why no women on radio 2' stuff) - and a lot of sexual assault stuff has come to nothing. Unless it's actually going to go ahead to a prosecution it'll change things.

I suspect he fully well knows that he's the press' target, and the show will always be dragged down by that.

Then on top, if the team aren't happy with his attitude, viewers don't like him shouting, it is for the best.

He had an impossible job, but could have had better results, and knows it's not worth dragging this out.

Baleoce

Chris Evans was a poor host, I do agree. And it's a good thing that they'll get someone different in. But I do wonder if they'll be able to address the arguably bigger problem the show has of the writers writing the same script / jokes for a different cast. I don't think they have the guts to mix up the formula.

Thanks for keeping the lights on Chris, but its good that you're off the show.

The show must go on. The show's host must not go on and on and on in a loud, shrill voice.

Wow. Still don't understand the reaction other than not liking him- even when he noticeably toned it down. But yeah the lineup of Matt, Chris and Rory should be fantastic. I don't see why they'd need another presenter to fill Evans' role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom