• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man 1-6 Coming to 3DS

jarosh

Yeah, where are the fucking 3D classics versions? I'd rather have those than another round of rom dumps.

I already got MM1 anyway, it's out in the European e-shop. But I hate, hate, HATE how they stretch the picture horizontally on the 3DS on NES VC games in order to achieve that faux non-square pixels look. It makes the image look really ugly; the 3DS doesn't have a high enough resolution to scale in full pixel increments. At least give me the option to play with square pixels and 1:1 resolution. Christ! It can't be that hard.

Now that I think about it, there hasn't been a SINGLE decent re-release of the classic Mega Man games in Europe. The emulation on the Anniversary Collection was atrocious in every region. On the European Wii Virtual Console the games were stretched and in 50 Hz, in a misguided attempt to stay true to the original Euro NES releases. Awful. And now on the 3DS we have to put up with super blurry image quality. Ugh.

The US Wii Virtual Console releases are pretty much the only way to play classic Mega Man. I haven't come across a single emulator on PC that does the games justice; horrible screen tearing, lag and timing issues with v-sync enabled, broken full screen modes etc.

watershed

Banned
Not bad, but I'd be more interested in a 3d (stereoscopic), pixel art graphics, new Mega Man for the 3ds eshop or a 3d classics remake of whichever the best 2d Mega Man is.

Drago

Yes, finally. I've been waiting for this!

Hope they have all of the games out by summer next year. Will pick up Mega Man (and SMB:LL) when it comes out.

Tobor

It's really absurd that the VC games purchased on the Wii don't work on the 3DS already. Nintendo is such a shit company.

entremet

Yeah, where are the fucking 3D classics versions? I'd rather have those than another round of rom dumps.

I already got MM1 anyway, it's out in the European e-shop. But I hate, hate, HATE how they stretch the picture horizontally on the 3DS on NES VC games in order to achieve that faux non-square pixels look. It makes the image look really ugly; the 3DS doesn't have a high enough resolution to scale in full pixel increments. At least give me the option to play with square pixels and 1:1 resolution. Christ! It can't be that hard.

Now that I think about it, there hasn't been a SINGLE decent re-release of the classic Mega Man games in Europe. The emulation on the Anniversary Collection was atrocious in every region. On the European Wii Virtual Console the games were stretched and in 50 Hz, in a misguided attempt to stay true to the original Euro NES releases. Awful. And now on the 3DS we have to put up with super blurry image quality. Ugh.

The US Wii Virtual Console releases are pretty much the only way to play classic Mega Man. I haven't come across a single emulator on PC that does the games justice; horrible screen tearing, lag and timing issues with v-sync enabled, broken full screen modes etc.

And I don't think we got MM5 or 6 lol.

edit: I see we got five, but why not 6 and complete the classic NES series?

It's really absurd that the VC games purchased on the Wii don't work on the 3DS already. Nintendo is such a shit company.

While I don't think it's possible for them to have retrofitted that into how the Wii system worked, if the Wii U VC isn't cross compatible with the 3DS for games that are on both than screw them.

Balb

While I don't think it's possible for them to have retrofitted that into how the Wii system worked, if the Wii U VC isn't cross compatible with the 3DS for games that are on both than screw them.

I highly doubt it's not possible. Nintendo will play dumb until they can't anymore.

I highly doubt it's not possible. Nintendo will play dumb until they can't anymore.

Well the emulator was never meant for use on anything besides Wii and the only way they get it to work on Wii U is through a pretty much replica of the Wii on Wii U, and since 3DS doesn't have that it seems like there's pretty much no way to make that work. Wii U VC will have no excuse though

jarosh

And I don't think we got MM5 or 6 lol.

edit: I see we got five, but why not 6 and complete the classic NES series?

In NA MM6 was published by Nintendo. I'm sure it was impossible to come to an agreement for a VC release between the two parties involved. It does all sound *very* complicated, considering that one company developed the game and owns the IP and the other one is the MANUFACTURER of the console in question. It's not like either of the two parties should have any interest in releasing the game, right?

Oh and in Europe MM6 was never even released. So it makes sense to not release it again here, right? They're just staying true to history. There simply is no screwed up 50 Hz version to release on the Euro VC.

tuffy

So February now has Mega Man 2 also? It seems all the 3DS titles I'm most interested in are all arriving in the same month.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Did the GBA version of the Anniversairy Collection ever come out?

Murrah

Banned
I like 4 the best, because they introduced the Mega Buster. It's really annoying to play the earlier games when you're used to charge your shots.

Funny, the lack of the charging mechanic is the reason I think 2, 3 and 9 are the best in the series

jarosh

Yeah, MM4 is by far the worst of the bunch as far as I'm concerned. I often skip it when I replay the whole series. And the charge shot was arguably the worst addition to the franchise. Takes away the immediacy and snappiness and introduces an unnecessary layer of passive faux strategizing that leads to little else but disruptive wait/retreat-and-go behavior; fundamentally at odds with the series' core design.

-KRS-

Oh that's nice. I might get 1, 4, 5 and 6 then. At least MM1. Already have the actual NES versions of 2 and 3 so won't be getting those. Although having MM2 on the go sounds pretty tempting.

Funny, the lack of the charging mechanic is the reason I think 2, 3 and 9 are the best in the series

The charging mechanic works great in the Mega Man X series though, but yeah I always found it annoying in the 8-bit games.

Haven't played the non-X SNES games though. Are they worth playing for someone who only really liked 1, 2, 3 and X? I just couldn't get into any of the others that I've tried, but that was years ago.

Tenki

Well, I'm buying MM1 right now from the eShop (EUR). I guess Capcom will release a MM Collection when the six games are out, and I'll double dip :\

Sleepy

If you had to choose only one? I remember playing these when I was younger, but I don't remember which ones...I played 10 (PSN) and liked it, even if I never finished it.

StAidan

I guess I could imagine getting 6 on the 3DS VC, but I already have the first 5 on Wii. Not too interested in rebuying all my VC games on multiple platforms.

Kind of annoyed that there's no news on 6 for Wii, too. :(

Pociask

For a second I was excited that Capcom was releasing an awesome compilation of MM1-6 in one go. The thought in the back of my mind was, "Gee, the 3DS is so capable, why not just do MM1-10, though? 20 bucks, Ten awesome Mega Man games, it will be huge!"

Then I saw what they are doing. This is where I miss the laughing smiley face.

RaidenZR

Let me just say that I love Mega Man titles, but...

I really hate that they are allocating resources (no matter how minimal) to releasing games we already saw and have access to on the Wii. I mean it's great and all but I don't love that they ask you to pay full price again and that everyone is okay with that. More importantly, I feel like it comes at the expense of new virtual console stuff that could be exclusive to this platform. You know, the 3DS. And by exclusive I mean the platforms the Wii didn't cater to, like GB, GBC, Game Gear, GBA titles, etc...

*sigh*

I'll rebut these on 3ds because I'm a MM whore.

And I love MM4. ;_;
it was the first one I ever owned, rented/borrowed the first 3 although I owned them later

Let me just say that I love Mega Man titles, but...

I really hate that they are allocating resources (no matter how minimal) to releasing games we already saw and have access to on the Wii. I mean it's great and all but I don't love that they ask you to pay full price again and that everyone is okay with that. More importantly, I feel like it comes at the expense of new virtual console stuff that could be exclusive to this platform. You know, the 3DS. And by exclusive I mean the platforms the Wii didn't cater to, like GB, GBC, Game Gear, GBA titles, etc...
Pretty much this. I don't mind NES games on the 3DS VC but there's still so much missing from the platforms that are already there. We have a total of like 6 GBC games and 3 GG games. We need more of that.

RM8

I'm so pissed off that we're getting more NES games than GB games now. Wii (and probably WiiU in the future) can play NES games, while 3DS is the only system with GB games.

kunonabi

I'd rather they just put MM6 on the VC. I'm not buying these again just to play on my 3ds.

I'd rather they release portable games on the portable VC but that appears to be a pipe dream at this point.

Top Bottom