• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony And Microsofts Next Generation Racers Rumored

Chris_C

Wish it were the futuristic car racer Wipeout prequel 2048 teased coming from Evolution's end:
Ze3Ojwz.jpg

But alas, boring old modern cars it is :(

New Rollcage please. It was better than Wipeout anyway.

I hope they have something big planned outside of improved graphics...

racers have been the same ol same ol for far too long....gameplay systems need a shake up

nib95

Banned
some? Are you saying some of this is incorrect?

I never saw the link in the OP, so I don't know what exactly was inferred or rumoured, but I say some, as it really depends on what the individual is expecting, what kind of racing games they like, or whether they like racers at all etc.

But the majority of the information being surmised is indeed accurate.

Using a Black Friday sale as proof of a price drop? Good lord. It went back to 60 dollars, where it still is, after the sale was over. They also sold Dragon's Dogma for 14.99 during the sale. Pretty sure that wasn't a price drop either.

I didn't remember when it dropped, I just remembered it did.

Also, going from 60 to 20 bucks after one month? Even if it is black friday, what games drop that much on black friday?

Also, going from 60 to 20 bucks after one month? Even if it is black friday, what games drop that much on black friday?

Every single game on the Microsoft store(pretty much. third party as well as first) dropped below 20 dollars for that sale. Then they all went back up.

Supposing you actually know something...you didn't deny that Guerilla Games will be making an appearance. ;-)

Well, to be honest, I didn't mention anyone at all... other than evo.

I'm not really at liberty to say who is gonna be there as i'm not a journalist (nor do i want to be one...) and these people are friends and it wouldn't take much in the way of internet gymnastics to figure out who I know if all of a sudden I became a huge sony informant on gaf.

But let's just say that I still haven't denied that Guerrilla is gonna be there. I don't think this is shocking news to anyone though if you look at how long it's been since KZ3 has shipped and that if they were working on a ps3 game we would have seen something by now (like team 2 at naughty dog). And really, can you launch a system without a c-c-c-razy graphics shooter?

Which is also why I said earlier that the evo thing is a non-story. I haven't heard a word from anyone I know about what evo is doing... but it's been ages since Motorstorm apocalypse. They did Motorstorm RC but i doubt that was even the whole studio, it was probably just a small group inside there (like tearaway is just about 8 people inside MM). And we know they got some studio liverpool folks. So the chances of them having something in the launch window seems pretty freaking likely to me. And it does seem like the type of thing that would be far along at this point and would be nice to show on Feb 20th... but, the folks I know didn't mention it.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Gran Turismo 6 is probably coming out 6 months or so after Evolution's racer. No need to dilute the GT brand.

You keep telling yourself that one. It's pretty funny that anyone thinks GT6 is coming out anytime soon, when is the last time they released a title that fast?

It flopped pretty hard. I remember it went down to 20 bucks a couple months after release. It was on sale, but still.

If we went by this logic every game that goes on sale a few months after release on Steam is a flop. Also NFS: MW also saw a pretty low price drop and at the time had been out for less time.

A lot of games did.

I would rather have a new Rallisport Challenge. What are the odds of that happening?

Most likely very slim sadly....

We have a chance for a serious off-road experience in Forza Motorsport 5. Unless the development time goes on longer Forza is usually released around October meaning within it's normal development time it would definitely be ready as a launch title.

Have you seen what they've done with Motocross Madness? LOL.

They are sitting on some decent IP but I doubt they will go back to stuff now. Not even Rare IP.

I think we'll eventually see a Forza: Rallisport but outside of that and maybe a Conker game from Twisted Pixel, we won't see anything from the past.

Raonak

Banned
I... im at two minds about this situation.

on one hand, GT is a very popular brand, and definetly sony's biggest franchise. It appeals to the mainstream.
It could confuse the casual buyers who buy the newest GT game, and realise the physics are way different, and it's more arcadey. It could cause consumer confusion. Plus, it shows that Sony (SCEJ, atleast) gives them a high degree of freedom (for better or worse, them taking so long on GT5 is more evidence of that)

on the other hand, it would be huge if they could grab that GT name. holy fuck it'd be cool. Sony's games always need the extra help, because sony always fails to promote a lot of them, and recently, lots have been just sent to die. recently, Starhawk, Sports Champions 2, Ratchet & Clank: FFA, PSASBR. probably gonna have to add SLY 4 to that list soon :(
whoa. thats a bit of a tangent.
anyway, GT name would give is automatic hype, as the GT fans have to check it out, and with that dream racing pedegree (Evolution, SCE Liverpool and PGR guy) it's gotta be solid. Plus, it would expand the GT name and could make it even more popular, since it would attract people who don't like sim games.

But then again, I it would be way more.... satisfying if the evolution racer was completely new IP and not a spinoff.

I can't pick one.... is there a third option?

meta4

Forza Horizon unfortunately bombed hard. They should stick with it though. With more promotion it could do much better since it is a good game.

Microsoft should really revive the Midtown Madness IP...

At this point I don't have any plans on buying a durango but i would be in line on day one if they did that. Man that game was good.

I miss xbox microsoft. I really don't like xbox 360 microsoft.

But let's just say that I still haven't denied that Guerrilla is gonna be there. I don't think this is shocking news to anyone though if you look at how long it's been since KZ3 has shipped and that if they were working on a ps3 game we would have seen something by now (like team 2 at naughty dog). And really, can you launch a system without a c-c-c-razy graphics shooter?
Booooo. I don't want another Killzone. Also, I thought Guerilla was working on a new IP?

Karak

Forza Horizon unfortunately bombed hard. They should stick with it though. With more promotion it could do much better since it is a good game.

I agree. I really am not a Forza fan, too much at least, but damn I loved the feel and overall amazing look of Forza.

FordGTGuy

Banned

I doubt they are going to drop Horizon, they've given Forza Motorsport a lot of head room as far as sales expectations and Horizon selling over a million it's first game is not that bad.

I'm pretty sure it's basically confirmed that Horizon 2 is coming, if I remember correctly there was official word that Motorsport and Horizon are going to become a year to year Forza release with Motorsport releasing in 2013 and Horizon in 2014.

JJD

Forza Horizon really bombed? That's nuts...it's great. It deserved to do better.

I'm a GT guy and I loved Horizon.

Karak

Forza Horizon really bombed? That's nuts...it's great. It deserved to do better.

I'm a GT guy and I loved Horizon.

Ya I don't know the sales but...its sad to actually see quality like that not burst through. Just another sign that production value doesn't always mean success.

KingJ2002

I saw a rumor on a new PGR by lucid and mgs... either way... thats a day one purchase for me. I hope it's true.

Well, to be honest, I didn't mention anyone at all... other than evo.

I'm not really at liberty to say who is gonna be there as i'm not a journalist (nor do i want to be one...) and these people are friends and it wouldn't take much in the way of internet gymnastics to figure out who I know if all of a sudden I became a huge sony informant on gaf.

Which is also why I said earlier that the evo thing is a non-story. I haven't heard a word from anyone I know about what evo is doing... but it's been ages since Motorstorm apocalypse. They did Motorstorm RC but i doubt that was even the whole studio, it was probably just a small group inside there (like tearaway is just about 8 people inside MM). And we know they got some studio liverpool folks. So the chances of them having something in the launch window seems pretty freaking likely to me. And it does seem like the type of thing that would be far along at this point and would be nice to show on Feb 20th... but, the folks I know didn't mention it.

I know you can't comment on what games your sources were referring to that would be shown.

But can you express the level of excitement they had? Like, are we going to be blown away by these games?

I know you can't comment on what games your sources were referring to that would be shown.

But can you express the level of excitement they had? Like, are we going to be blown away by these games?

Instead of answering for people which is unfair to them and I'm not sure i could do it correctly I will just give a bit of conjecture that may or may not be educated (mostly not).

I think the reveal is going to be exactly what everyone expects. The specs are out there. The news about the controller is out there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which first party studios haven't made a game in a long time.

But... Feb 20 isn't E3. I expect it to be a tease. I doubt they will show the unit itself. I doubt they will show the controller. I doubt they will talk specs in any specific terms. They definitely won't talk price. The games they are going to show aren't going to be the MEGATONS. They will be games that look good, show off good, but leaves them some major announcements for later. Basically, in pretty crude terms, I don't think they are going to blow their load with this announcement. But I think they will show enough to get people hyped.

I think it will go over a lot better than the bizarre unveiling of the Wii U (which Im not a hater of btw... i do own and enjoy mine). It's not a 'weird' system so it will be "hey, we have a new system coming, it's going to kick major ass, here's a bit of proof" and then that's it.

I expect it to be less revealing than their NGP reveal. That is pure conjecture, btw. No one has told me that. That's just my feeling. There are so many milestones along the way. I think we get a taste here, some at GDC, a blowout at E3 and then a final showing and specifics (price, release date, etc) at the Tokyo Game Show.

But are we gonna be hyped after feb 20? Most of us, yes. People excepting a huge E3 like reveal may come away unimpressed.

And for the record, I expect pretty much the same thing out of microsoft. Except they will start in march. I've also heard rumors they may have upwards of 8 third party exclusives in their launch window/first six months.

Complain about franchise whoring on GAF > Proceed to be mad at PD protecting their IP.

Seriously guys, if it's not GT, there's no need to call it GT.

And i'll bet all my cards on GT6 coming in in 2014. It's funny to make jokes about it, but lot of things changed over PD.

As for the new racer for PS4, i hope they recapture the spirit of the original Need for Speed, but without tank controls.

NFS turned into shit after Underground 2 and this left a huge void in the racing market. Current gen NFS games are different turds in different aspects, they only have one thing in common: they are not NFS.

I really think they can nail this and find a market for them. Arcade, but not outlandish, that's a good balance.

Top Bottom