• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You - Solo Remix (iPhone/iPad) announced [Out Now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

You guys really like the "new" sprites? It's fucking awful, like all the "HD" filters for old 2D fighters. They're all blurred of any detail and just rescaled for a higher resolution. Instead of pixel-art it now looks like cheap Korean flash sprites. C'mon!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'd rebuy this for a decent price, but damn S/E.. you don't get iOS pricing at all.

I mean, it looks like shit.. but TWEWY in my pocket at all times is still a good thing.

What disappointment? Was expected, and it's absolutely worth what they're asking for it. I think it will likely be more enjoyable on iOS than it was on DS. That being said, I simply can't afford to double dip. But I hope folks who haven't played it take this opportunity to enjoy it at a discount.

I don't think so. There goes away one of the main aspects of the game, creating a busier battle field (and count also your finger!), distorting the concept behind TWEWY. HD art are nice though!

LegatoB

You guys really like the "new" sprites? It's fucking awful, like all the "HD" filters for old 2D fighters. They're all blurred of any detail and just rescaled for a higher resolution. Instead of pixel-art it now looks like cheap Korean flash sprites. C'mon!
I don't get why people are claiming they're redrawn, they're really obviously filtered up with only minor retouching if any. Game looks like ass, as you'd expect from moving a 256x192(x2 screens) game up to 1024x768+.

why does it look so goddamned blurry

it's like they found the source art for the sprites and they realized "oh shit these are still only like 3/5 of the resolution we need" so they just blurred the fuck out of it so it was close enough

SykoTech

I heard when the Youtube trailer hits 1000 dislikes, S-E will cancel all future plans for this franchise. Keep it up people, you can do it! :D

They blocked the comments (as always) too. So it's not like they be able to tell why people are disliking it.

Brilliant!

duckroll

I don't get why people are claiming they're redrawn, they're really obviously filtered up with only minor retouching if any. Game looks like ass, as you'd expect from moving a 256x192(x2 screens) game up to 1024x768+.

They are "redrawn".... by a computer filter! (lololol)

I think this is cool.

But I have to ask the same question over and over again:

The game cost like 40$ when it came for DS once. Why is 20$ too much for the same game in an enhanced version on another device?

Enhanced doesn't mean stripping down the battle system. Nor does it mean prettier graphics. It's supposed to have new content, new pins, new SOMETHING.

But an inferior battle system and HD graphics an that's it.

Seanspeed

Banned

The game cost like 40$ when it came for DS once. Why is 20$ too much for the same game in an enhanced version on another device?
\
Because 99 cent games. Makes no sense to me, either.

Anyways, is all the music remixed like in the trailer? I hated it.

I can't really understand that price when you can get the superior DS version for less than that currently. I guess if you really had some problem with playing the DS and were willing to accept an inferior control method/game experience just so you can play on your Apple product with filtered "HD" graphics..

Gartooth

I think this is cool.

Enhanced is one way to put it, to me it looks like they removed a lot of the depth of the original battle system involving a partner on a second screen (controlled by buttons).

Enhanced doesn't mean stripping down the battle system. Nor does it mean prettier graphics. It's supposed to have new content, new pins, new SOMETHING.

But an inferior battle system and HD graphics an that's it.

Yeah OK, I get that not everybody is 100% satisfied with the "enhancements" but my questions is more aimed at the price, as it sounds people would expect it to sell for .99$

also

Banned
That Brian guy sure is going to get a lot of hate.

And rightly so. He's a complete jerk and liar.

''Before everyone decides the #twewy countdown is over, they might want to wait for the countdown to be over. #moredripthanleak

I am definitely trying to keep people interested in the countdown, yes. No one should be writing it off.

People may write it off tomorrow anyway. If they do, they'll be missing out and missing what they're looking for.

I'll never win against people's wildest hopes, but I would have run for my life a while ago if I didn't totally believe in this.''

hamchan

Yeah i'll probably buy it (when it's on sale).

This is so disappointing though. Square Enix, I can't believe how much you suck.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
iOS is great and popular but who wanted this on that platform? I know DS folk or anyone would have taken it on that platform or it's successor. Now I can't buy it anyways since I don't have an iOS device. Talk about brand dilution.

I'm willing to bet a lot more DS owners have an iOS device than a 3DS right now.

Tomodachi

This. It has Super Eagle and such filters written all over the place.

And in any case, you DON'T hype an iOS conversion with a week long countdown, talk about backlash.

GeekyDad

I don't think so. There goes away one of the main aspects of the game, creating a busier battle field (and count also your finger!), distorting the concept behind TWEWY. HD art are nice though!

The battle system was hardly the "concept" behind TWEWY. It was fun, but also a bit schizophrenic and clumsy. The story was absolutely the game's defining quality, but also how all the little elements came together to support that story: the fact that you could (mostly) battle when you wanted to, the pins, the food and clothing system, how styles changed in different parts of the city (changing your stats in battle), the weird when-you're-not-playing leveling system.

In any case, I think being able to simply use your finger to swipe across the screen will be a lot more intuitive than trying to juggle controlling the top-screen character with the buttons and the bottom-screen character with the stylus -- that shit was never comfortable -- was fun and challenging, but never comfortable.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, since they decided to rebuild the mechanics for iOS, perhaps on smartphones.

Naah, the sequel would be on 3DS with the first one battle stytem, and all. I'm pretty sure about this. And after many years, Square will release TWEWY2 Solo Remix on iOS.

Strange it's not on Android.

wrowa

Yep, this isn't what I expected from an "HD" release. The look (and the lack of any meaningful additions) really break this for me.

I think this is cool.

The game cost 40$ when it was released 5 years ago. The DS version is (new) available for 20$ by now and the "enhanced" edition doesn't look enhanced in any meaningful way. It actually cuts one of the more defining aspects of the game.

Yeah OK, I get that not everybody is 100% satisfied with the "enhancements" but my questions is more aimed at the price, as it sounds people would expect it to sell for .99$

Well for what's "new" it should seriously be $10 or $15, maybe I'm just freaking crazy, but seriously.

Anyway, I'll go finish Week 3 of my DS save.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom