• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

LiK

Yeah, it's not great. I have days where I feel like I can conquer the world, but those are really rare. I got a prescription for antidepressants a week ago and haven't even opened the box because I'm scared of them.

I can totally see why someone with Noah's character and who is suffering from depression isn't feeling like putting out funny videos.

Dude, you should take those pills if it's that bad.

.JayZii

Banned
I keep finding myself coming back to the channel awesome drama even though I wasn't really a fan. It's a pretty fascinating sociological... something.

Skipped around in that video, but it didn't seem to have anything new in it. LordKat just seems pathetic, and yeesh those youtube comments are mean and personal. I can't blame people for wanting to get away from this stuff when you have a bunch of stalkers who spend all of their free time trolling you.

Raitaro

I know this feeling all too well. Some days, the thought of doing trivial things like making a phonecall is too much. In my situtation of being looking for a job, the first thoughts that come to my mind when I see a potential job offer are "I will suck, I will need to learn THINGS and DO things that are new to me, how will I possibly be able to do this, I'm too dumb, I will fail, I will not fit in, people will think I'm weird" etc. Just thinking about that unopened letter from the bank or seeing the blinking message light on my phone makes my stomach hurt and my throat tighten to a knot.

I'm sincerely sorry you feel this way.

I can relate since your description does fit me pretty much perfectly (even if I've never been diagnosed with depression officially). Not on most days anymore luckily but on enough of them still since my uni graduation 4/5 years ago that I ended up as a 36 year old without any career, job prospects, self-esteem or urge to be productive (outside of house chores and child care) to speak of. If my wife hadn't support me financially etc. these past years while I travelled with her to the different places where she worked, and eventually allowed me to father her child and become a (often still feeling worthless) stay-at-home dad, I don't know how I would have ended up. Quite possibly even worse, unless it would have forced me to take my life by the reigns again.

I can only imagine how Spoony must feel when he can never fully hide from view and take some time to recouperate and work on being happy and nice to himself and those around him.

You take care Patrick S. Try to find something positive in your life, even if it is something small or seemingly insignificant, and try to build other positive things on top of that. Having more people in life to talk to on a deeper level and relate to can help immensely as well, as I've discovered myself. As long as you don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to them too much and feeling like you've fallen behind in life as a result (like I still often do, even to my wife I admit). Life is not a race between those that made it and as such matter, and those that are stuck at zero and are worthless, despite how strongly we get this impression (from media). You matter and have worth, even if you don't feel like you do.

Pray tell if anyone knows the name of the initial footage with the laughing Belgian presentor and high-pitch voiced guest. My dad always showed this to me but he's since passed away and I want to be able to look it up once in a while because it always made him tear up with laughter.

Murkas

Pray tell if anyone knows the name of the initial footage with the laughing Belgian presentor and high-pitch voiced guest. My dad always showed this to me but he's since passed away and I want to be able to look it up once in a while because it always made him tear up with laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-6u7DVhsAU

Part of a TV show sketch of some sort, which I guess makes it better that it wasn't real as I thought when I first saw the abridged version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXf3wx5nPXU

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm sorry you feel this way.

I can relate as your description fits me pretty much perfectly. Not on most days anymore luckily but on enough of them still since my uni graduation 4/5 years ago that I ended up as a 36 year old without any career, job prospects, self-esteem or urge to be productive (outside of house chores and child care) to speak of. If my wife hadn't support me financially these past years while I travelled with her to the different places where she worked and eventually allowed me to father her child and become a (often still feeling worthless) stay-at-home dad, I don't know how I would have ended up. Quite possibly even worse, unless it would have forced me to take my life by the reigns again.

I can only imagine how Spoony must feel when he can never fully hide from view and take some time to recouperate and work on being happy and nice to himself and those around him.

You take care Patrick S. Try to find something positive in your life, even if it is something small or seemingly insignificant, and try to build other positive things on top of that. Having more people in life to talk to on a deeper level and relate to can help immensely as well, as I've discovered myself. As long as you don't fall into the trap of comparing yourself to them too much and feeling like you've fallen behind in life as a result (like I still often do, even to my wife I admit). Life is not a race between those that made it and as such matter, and those that are stuck at zero and are worthless, despite how strongly we get this impression (from media). You matter and have worth, even if you don't feel like you do.

Thank you for your kind words, sir! I lack people to talk to. I moved back to Germany ten years ago, and don't have any friends here, other than superficial ones my wife met when she was doing her German course. I have a nine year old son I love, but my wife doesn't support me at all. She has no understanding or acceptance for how I am feeling, and even if she did, she wouldn't care. She's the one who's keeping me down the most, for reasons that would fill the entire page, and this thread isn't about me anyway. You take care too :)

Raitaro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-6u7DVhsAU

Part of a TV show sketch of some sort, which I guess makes it better that it wasn't real as I thought when I first saw the abridged version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXf3wx5nPXU

Many, many thanks! Yes, I'm pretty sure this was all staged, though I don't know the context or the original show ("Boomerang/Boemerang" I believe). My dad always laughed too hard to be able to explain it while we watched it on Youtube together. (God, how I would want to relive those moments with him...)

Thank you for your kind words, sir! I lack people to talk to. I moved back to Germany ten years ago, and don't have any friends here, other than superficial ones my wife met when she was doing her German course. I have a nine year old son I love, but my wife doesn't support me at all. She has no understanding or acceptance for how I am feeling, and even if she did, she wouldn't care. She's the one who's keeping me down the most, for reasons that would fill the entire page, and this thread isn't about me anyway. You take care too :)

You're more than welcome! Sorry to hear about your situation. In some ways it is reconizable in sofar that I often feel as if my wife can't understand what I feel or how I'm experiencing things in a low moment either, but I wouldn't describe it as a lack of care I think. More like a lack of patience and emphatic ability, which is somewhat understandable for these kind of internal problems. Not saying you should describe your situation differently but I couldn't help but offer some kind of comparison so to speak. It is relevant to this topic in a way as Spoony does run into problems due to emphatic barriers in others as well perhaps, which in part is related to him acting as a jerk in some cases I presume (which I also have done on occassion when feeling particularly cornered, despite never consciously or premeditively wanting to hurt the feelings others).

Final sidenote: You don't happen to live in or near Jena, do you? If so, that's where I moved to a year ago (from the UK, though we are Dutch originally). Would be quite a coincedence and perhaps even an opportunity to talk IRL sometime. We can PM as well if you like (though I have to admit that I've never really used that feature of Gaf; but one can learn).

Patrick S.

Banned
You're more than welcome! Sorry to hear about your situation. In some ways it is reconizable in sofar that I often feel as if my wife can't understand what I feel or how I'm experiencing things in a low moment either, but I wouldn't describe it as a lack of care I think. More like a lack of patience and emphatic ability, which is somewhat understandable for these kind of internal problems. Not saying you should describe your situation differently but I couldn't help but offer some kind of comparison so to speak. It is relevant to this topic in a way as Spoony does run into problems due to emphatic barriers in others as well perhaps, which in part is related to him acting as a jerk in some cases I presume (which I also have done on occassion when feeling particularly cornered, despite never consciously or premeditively wanting to hurt the feelings others).

Final sidenote: You don't happen to live in or near Jena, do you? If so, that's where I moved to a year ago (from the UK, though we are Dutch originally). Would be quite a coincedence and perhaps even an opportunity to talk IRL sometime. We can PM as well if you like (though I have to admit that I've never really used that feature of Gaf; but one can learn).

Heh, I live near Fulda, which is a bit more than 200 km southwest of Jena. I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow, thanks for your offer! Have a good one ;)

Raitaro

Heh, I live near Fulda, which is a bit more than 200 km southwest of Jena. I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow, thanks for your offer! Have a good one ;)

That's quite far indeed. But yes, please do. I'd be happy to lend an ear.

Sorry for briefly hijacking the thread people! Feel free to carry on with the focus on Spoony.

Veelk

Banned
Heads up: this guy used to be a hardline GamerGator and is still a huge anti-feminist asshole to this day.

Shit. Just as I read this post, I get to the part where he basically puts the blame on Obsuras Lupa for 'drudging up' Spoony's rape joke and therefore being the person to blame for him being let go of Channel Awesome. And then he ascribes to a conspiracy their that a band of women worked together to get him kicked off.

Because, you know, the implication being that Spoony should not be responsible for his own tweets and that male HR rep would not have cut Spoony off when he became public poison.

Shit. Just as I read this post, I get to the part where he basically puts the blame on Obsuras Lupa for 'drudging up' Spoony's rape joke and therefore being the person to blame for him being let go of Channel Awesome. And then he ascribes to a conspiracy their that a band of women worked together to get him kicked off.

Because, you know, the implication being that Spoony should not be responsible for his own tweets and that male HR rep would not have cut Spoony off when he became public poison.

The opening of a really mean spirited caption gag and positioning it more as a person squandering an opportunity rather than, y'know, someone with clear mental issues, was telling for me. Didn't watch past that.

Fevaweva

I dunno about that, I just saw it as showing a conspiracy that was going around on the internet when Spoony was fired. I didn't feel like there was anything necessarily anti-women about it at all.

BiggNife

Yeah, it's not great. I have days where I feel like I can conquer the world, but those are really rare. I got a prescription for antidepressants a week ago and haven't even opened the box because I'm scared of them.

I can totally see why someone with Noah's character and who is suffering from depression isn't feeling like putting out funny videos.
As someone who has OCD/anxiety, medication really can help. Give it a shot. Worst case you can just go off of them and try something else.

Veelk

Banned
I dunno about that, I just saw it as showing a conspiracy that was going around on the internet when Spoony was fired. I didn't feel like there was anything necessarily anti-women about it at all.

Since the conspiracy here is founded on the idea that Spoony's comments wouldn't have gotten him fired if not for these women, offended by the sexism of those comments, unfairly moved against him from within, it feels like it's underlying the reasoning. Keep in mind that his only 'evidence' is the fact that Obscurus Lupa didn't forgive and forget a rape joke in a months time and that these women took satisfaction in the fact that an unapologetic sexist harasser was kicked off the site. And if the guy was a hardline gamergator and is still anti-feminism, I don't see the point of giving him the benefit of the doubt. It's all a major red flag.

Kart94

Banned
Watched the video, interesting stuff.

Too bad the next video Youtube had in store for the the guy has shit like "Yooka-layee shitshow" which basically means "WAA Jontron was censored.*She wasn't*..waa they studio won't let me refund an almost completed game."

The opening of a really mean spirited caption gag and positioning it more as a person squandering an opportunity rather than, y'know, someone with clear mental issues, was telling for me. Didn't watch past that.
Pretty much. People don't seem to understand when you have issues like Spoony does, you don't want to do fucking anything. Doing stuff I enjoy is a struggle for me, things I don't want to are Herculean tasks.

TheContact

I've followed spoony ever since his ff8 review. I frequented his forums and can tell you from experience he's a fucked up individual with severe mental issues yet also extremely talented. It's such a shame really because his ff8 and Ultima reviews are some of the best content on YouTube and he could really put his brain to good use if he wasn't so mentally ill. I wish he would get some help

Welfare

His FF8 review was incredible to follow. It is incredibly sad that he has squandered the chance to be HUGE because he has the talent, but is insane.

Jawmuncher

His FF8 review was incredible to follow. It is incredibly sad that he has squandered the chance to be HUGE because he has the talent, but is insane.

I think that's by far the biggest reason people are so upset. His issues are understandable, but he had the chance to do so much more. His patreon being at 5K is still crazy. He was making more than some of the bigger channels on YouTube that I know of such as ralphthemovienaker, despite having less in subs. His fanbase was there and waiting.

I think things would be different if he ever came clean on "retiring" and made the patreon more of a donation for whatever with no rewards. Since he never came through on any of them outside I think a LP of deadly premonition on his live stream.

SilentRob

Pretty much. People don't seem to understand when you have issues like Spoony does, you don't want to do fucking anything. Doing stuff I enjoy is a struggle for me, things I don't want to are Herculean tasks.

I'd say you actually want to do anything. You just can't. Anxiety and depression are fucking insane to deal with - add to that his physical health problems and the constant barrage of internet hate and expectations of him? Yeah. It's bad news. Really wish him the best. Videos like the one linked here at this point are nothing but cruel and in bad taste imo.

Spoony is the greatest example of wasted potential. I used to frequent his website multiple times a week. Seeing him basically get a big break with Patreon and then just screwing people over like this has been disgusting.

That video on him is right on the money. The video on the Nostalgia Critic is pretty good too. I'll stay plugged in to see what he puts out about Linkara.

Kart94

Banned
Spoony is the greatest example of wasted potential. I used to frequent his website multiple times a week. Seeing him basically get a big break with Patreon and then just screwing people over like this has been disgusting.

That video on him is right on the money. The video on the Nostalgia Critic is pretty good too. I'll stay plugged in to see what he puts out about Linkara.

Just don't look at his other content.

Yikes.

Luckily this video is no different from the other "what happened to Spoony" rant videos.

Maybe not but it's part of a bigger series on the downfall of tgwtg and most of the ones I've seen weren't as clear as this. Without watching his other crap I can totally see why people might buy into the spin he gives things.

Loxley

I'll echo the sentiments that the biggest shame here is that Spoony really was the master of his own demise. He's a genuinely funny guy and his old content still stands up, so to see him squander his own potential is just really disheartening.

The only spoony jokes that don't really hold up are the few gay jokes he made in his earlier videos. It's crazy to think 10 years ago making a gay joke wouldn't really cause someone to bat an eye and now it's a big faux pas if you do.

.JayZii

Banned
The only spoony jokes that don't really hold up are the few gay jokes he made in his earlier videos. It's crazy to think 10 years ago making a gay joke wouldn't really cause someone to bat an eye and now it's a big faux pas if you do.
It's like if you listen to an old gaming podcast from around that time and people are throwing around "gay" and "retarded" a lot. With the occasional, "Oops, I guess we're not supposed to say that anymore. *snicker*", if you're lucky.

To be fair, he does apologize for that later in a later video. Essentially says "I don't know what I was thinking with the gay joke." Can't remember which particular video tho.

Buckle

Never knew anything about Ultima before Spoony's restrospective, it was a fascinating look at the series. Really interesting stuff.

I know people are understandably pissed at him for failed promises and past asshole behavior but hope he finds a way to turn things around and things get better for him, he's a genuinely talented guy.

To be fair, he does apologize for that later in a later video. Essentially says "I don't know what I was thinking with the gay joke." Can't remember which particular video tho.

I remember for sure NC doing this (especially when he made the autism joke). My brain recalls Spoony doing it to I think it was during some commentary.

Rarius

I think the funniest thing about that is if I recall correctly, it was by the time his final episode of VIII went up.

Even for Early Spoony that took a long ass time to come out

It sucks to see Spoony in the place he is in. Doing that Patron did more harm then good. I was a backer for awhile but it was the lack of videos being released and lack of updates made me cancel my monthly backing. If he did annual updates to his backers that would go a long way.

He is very talented person as his old videos are gold.

Just dropping in to say Spoony's Phantasmagoria 2 LP was amazing. One day I gotta to pick up that game and see if I remember everything. I think I was still in high school when I watched that.

Also Mister Metokur is pretty awful.

Buckle

I'm just glad Spoony was able to finish reviewing every Reb Brown film before this hiatus to put it nicely.
Just started watching those reviews.

How Red Letter Media managed to get through Yor on BOTW without commenting on/mentioning that theme song even once, I'll never know.

I'm more disguised then sad about spoony honestly. 700 bucks a month for literally doing nothing but false promises. Even at his darkest any morals he has would be not to take that money.

I'll echo the sentiments that the biggest shame here is that Spoony really was the master of his own demise. He's a genuinely funny guy and his old content still stands up, so to see him squander his own potential is just really disheartening.

Is it really being the master of his own demise if the demise is caused by mental health problems?

Top Bottom