• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You've stolen Phil Spencer's identity. How would you change Xbox?

Normally I'd make some long-winded post with a bunch of rules here, but I want to keep this thread simple. You've kidnapped Phil Spencer and used Mission Impossible technology to impersonate him. How would you change Xbox and why?

rQYKOJO.gif

Edit: Forgot to write my choice!

I'd make basic online multiplayer and in-game voice chat free for everyone on Xbox One. Features like LFG, party chat, Arena, Clubs, and GwG remain behind the yearly subscription.

opricnik

Banned
I would try to money hat all devolopers for exclusive DLC,timed exclusive and 1yr console exclusive deals i think

inner-G

Banned
Get rid of XBL.

Make a system like NES Classic Edition but that plays classic Windows and Xbox (1.0 not ONE) games.

Delay and revamp scorpio so it is a 100% clean break from the XB1 brand in every way possible and so it is a 100% new generation level jump over current hardware.

This half assed half step approach is a waste.

Also uncancel scalebound if the game wasn't a dumpster fire.

Majine

Banned
Let developers make whatever games they want. The age of Gears and Halo is over, let's find something new.

Go balls deep on the PC side, and make a real Steam competitor.

Anteater

i'd do whatever he's doing now, but fund some first party studio games and continue to support backwards compatibility, that's basically it

JAGMASK

Take out random loot boxes from gears and halo. Then never implement them again unless there's an alternative way of reliably gaining the items within them.

Phawx

Most of the things that people are going to suggest are things that wouldn't make *as much money* as Games-As-A-Service which most of Gaf is generally against.

Having said that, I would declare that PC is Xbox and Xbox is PC. I'd bring 360 emulation to PC immediately (but under the provision that you'd have to buy 360 games digitally as it would be a headache to support physical discs (pirating reasons))

I would also port Xbox 1 emulation that happened on 360 already to PC. Same deal with buying digital.

I'd also allow 360/OG Xbox games to be sold on Steam.

I'd also declare a single player Fable to be created.

Kill3r7

Try to make some inroads in the Chinese and European markets, outside of U.K. Also, fund or sign marketing deals with PC centric titles that are currently going the kickstarter route. They can still release their games on steam but you also get play anywhere.

statham

Bring back Midtown Madness, Sunset Overdrive and Lost Odyssey.

Offer another level for live, first 20 hours free per month, $1 every additional hour.

Nesther

I would make it THE platform for mascot platformers. Have several of their studios work on the many IPs they have, including Banjo and Conker.

Have 343 work on Perfect Dark, so they don't just make Halo games.

LewieP

Fund Treasure, Jeff Minter, Arkane Kids and a few other devs to make exclusive crazy experimental stuff.

Buy IO Interactive and if possible Hitman ip.

Put even more resources into the (already excellent) BC program. Get all the XBLIGs up there too.

Buy the Timesplitters ip off Crytek, and get online enabled remaster of all three games.

Resurrect Scalebound but let Platinum do single player if they want to.

iMax

First thing on the list would be to make a proper go at building a sustainable first party offering.

Their entire studio family now comprises Forza, Halo, Gears, and Minecraft. Aside from that, they appear to only have two studios that realistically have the freedom to explore new IP: Rare and Lift London.

These studios—but those two in particular—need the time and resources to build teams and cultivate new meaningful IP. By that, I mean TLOU/Horizon class titles; games that actually change the industry and push the medium forward. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't have that—the last game they made internally that did was Halo: CE.

I really want Microsoft to make a dent here. They've done it with hardware but now it's time to do it with software. For me, Quantum Break was a glimmer of that but we need more.

I'd also bring back 1 vs. 100 immediately.

Push for Rare to make new IPs and bring Fable back. Halo would take a backseat but wouldn't outright can it as it has a huge following.

AmuroChan

Ditch hardware. Focus on software. Release games on all platforms. Look into acquiring a big mobile publisher like Activision did with King.

How much would it cost to buy IO Interactive and Hitman? If the Hitman property is too expensive, how much for IO Interactive? If IO Interactive is too expensive to buy, hire them to do a new 1st party IP.

For the most part, keep the Scorpio train rolling. Sign deal with Oculus for full compatibility, in exchange for financing on future VR projects.
Buy IO Interactive & Hitman IP, season 2 is Xbox/PC exclusive.
Scrap parity clause, work to get indie parity with PS. 2017 Summer of Arcade with Cuphead, Below, and PUBG.
Start development on a Switch-like SKU for the Xbox One.

Mediking

Actually try to give reasons why a Nintendo and Sony guy like me would even be interested in an Xbox.

Not even trying to be sarcastic. Just seriously.

Expand Rare. Expand The Coalition. Invest in a couple new first party studios, with a focus on single-player titles.

If these things happened, I'd really have no issue with Xbox. They're doing great in most other areas.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I un-cancel Scalebound and admit to having had parasitic worms in my brain for the last year.

"Of course Kamiya-san makes great games. If I were to doubt him, an incredibly storied videogame director, what would be the point in handing any other developer money to make a game?"

Itagaki is funded for a AAA action game to go up against Sony's nabbing of Kojima. Following on from that, 343i and The Coalition are allowed to make entirely new IP's.

The ultimate pledge? "We will make a commitment to making two entries in any new IP unless they are universally reviled. This is to show Microsoft cares about the long term rather than just the short and that development studios can no longer regard our sudden investments like a poisoned chalice."

The last line tips NeoGAF off that Pie and Beans has infiltrated an executives mind. I step back into the shadows as trailers roll of Battletoads X, Jet Space Radio, Chrono Break, Burnout Extreme, and Dino Crises and everyone just accepts I probably must have killed a man or assimilated his mind to bring the greater good to videogames.

Majine

Banned
Make a health tracker/watch called Xband and tie it to the Xbox ecosystem with achievements and challenge friends.

Top Bottom