• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 3 ending production in Japan

Vashetti

Banned
I guess that means production has unofficially ended, they've not been shipping any units to the West since the Destiny bundle and remaining units in the UK got recalled a while ago. I'm still not quite sure I understand why Sony didn't get a model of the PS3 to the £99 price point for families like they did with the PS2 and PS1, but maybe there was just too much tech inside there to do that.

I probably should have scooped up a couple more discounted units last Xmas when I had the chance since my old slim is on its last legs, but I've got a white super slim in storage just in case.

That's it.

The Cell and RSX never dropped enough in price. The HDD is also another problem (though some Super Slim consoles had 12GB flash on the motherboard instead), which is something PS4 and XB1 will struggle with pricedrops too.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Great machine. I still have two hooked up in my apartment. One in the bedroom and another in the guest room.

Lebneney

Banned
I remember reading an article that said that Sony wanted to make the PS3 last 10 years. I remember telling that to a GameStop employee and they scoffed it off as if I didn't know what I was talking about. Well, they made it to 11. Easily one of the best consoles I've ever owned. Never ceased to amaze me especially when I came from the Wii (revolutionary in its own right).

BigEmil

That's it.

The Cell and RSX never dropped enough in price. The HDD is also another problem (though some Super Slim consoles had 12GB flash on the motherboard instead), which is something PS4 and XB1 will struggle with pricedrops too.
Nvidia probably didn't lower the costs of manufacturing to Sony the cell or rsx stuff

Vashetti

Banned
Not port-begging, as I've played most of these games, but all these PS3 exclusives that haven't had PS4 releases should definitely be ported at some point, otherwise they'll be lost to time

inFamous 1, 2, Festival of Blood
Ratchet & Clank Future Trilogy, All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, Into The Nexus, 1-3 remaster, Deadlocked remaster
Ni No Kuni
Resistance 1-3
Killzone 1-3

and many many more

EmiPrime

Not port-begging, as I've played most of these games, but all these PS3 exclusives that haven't had PS4 releases should definitely be ported at some point, otherwise they'll be lost to time

Ratchet & Clank Future Trilogy, All 4 One, Full Frontal Assault, Into The Nexus, 1-3 remaster, Deadlocked remaster
Ni No Kuni
Resistance 1-3
Killzone 1-3

and many many more

Is that disclaimer really necessary? You're obviously not "port begging".

I would be interested in those remasters too especially the infamous, R&C and Resistance games.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
IMG_3883.gif

Over 10 years. Ken was right.

Looking back it was a fantastic system.
The variety of games on so many levels were great.

Shame my old George Foreman grill PS3 was nicked, my backlog there was crazy good.

ajjow

My ps4 broke and i came back for my ps3 las week. Man, its slow but so nice to play. I actually forgot that the graphics were that good.

I will play read dead a last time. My new ps4 is coming just before e3!

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I guess that means production has unofficially ended, they've not been shipping any units to the West since the Destiny bundle and remaining units in the UK got recalled a while ago. I'm still not quite sure I understand why Sony didn't get a model of the PS3 to the £99 price point for families like they did with the PS2 and PS1, but maybe there was just too much tech inside there to do that.

I probably should have scooped up a couple more discounted units last Xmas when I had the chance since my old slim is on its last legs, but I've got a white super slim in storage just in case.

There's also inflation to consider, that £99 in 2009 is now worth a bit more, I wouldn't expect consoles to really hit that price again

Majmun

There are still quite a few Ps3 games I'd like to play...

Ps3 games on Ps4...when? And I don't mean remasters.

Vashetti

Banned
Is that disclaimer really necessary? You're obviously not "port begging".

I would be interested in those remasters too especially the infamous, R&C and Resistance games.

Just putting it out there in case I get banned :p

There are still quite a few Ps3 games I'd like to play...

Ps3 games on Ps4...when? And I don't mean remasters.

Never, PS4 isn't strong enough to emulate the PS3.

Crayon

When my launch 60gb ps3 burned up in 2014 I thought about getting a ps4 to replace it. But I got another ps3. I had a great backlog on ps3 at that time. And free online? Sheesh.

Oh man.. I'm still playing my 60gb PS3. The only issue I had was it stopped reading discs, a quick fix by Sony and it's still running well. Ah, man... This system was like buying a Lamborghini when you remove the packing and just sit back going "...holy fuck..." It was beautiful.

Like other posters said, the history of this system and the turn around it had was impressive. Once it's issues were worked out this console was a beast. RIP PS3..

Bgamer90

Banned
I wonder if the original Playstation 3s with backwards compatibility will be worth a decent amount of money in the future.

gablekevin

Neo Member
Since they are ending production that has to mean that we will no longer be getting ps3 games on Playsation Plus so i wonder if that means they will start adding maybe PSVR games.

Unknown?

Since they are ending production that has to mean that we will no longer be getting ps3 games on Playsation Plus so i wonder if that means they will start adding maybe PSVR games.
Yeah I wonder when PS3 will cease on PS Plus. When that happens there will undoubtedly be a flood of complaints here. -_-

Xe4

Banned
RIP PS3. My first console, and my favorite thus far. They did great things with it, despite having some major screw ups in the beginning. Good on Playstation for being committed to the 10 year cycle.

antibolo

Banned
Four years ago. Which makes sense, as PS2 was a significantly more successful platform.

PS2 was also easier to make for dirt cheap, making it appealing for third world markets. EA still released FIFA Legacy Edition on PS2 up to 2014.

Sony never managed to bring manufacturing costs of the PS3 low enough, due to the Cell architecture.

I bought a PS3 around the PS4's launch and I'm still playing games on it, if that says anything. It was my first non-Nintendo console, and I adore it. Sometimes it feels like it'll be the last console worth my money, especially with how happy I am on PC, but I'd love to be proven wrong. Sony did a great job turning it around after its notorious launch, so huge props to them.

Didn't the PS2 stop production only a year or two ago? Seems early to stop PS3 production if so.

I guess they never got PS3 manufacturing costs low enough to make those final price cuts that would had helped longevity especially in developing markets. PS3 has gotten zero price drops since launch of PS4.

ViciousDS

Banned
I really did love the 360, PS3, and Wii era

Don't think anything will ever capture that again. Despite how absolutely amazing this gen has been for games overall, there was something about using uno or test drive as basically a voice chat lobby with friends lol

So Im guessing they will actually continue to make them in perpetuity as long as PS Now is a thing right???

I mean it wont be exactly the same you bought in stores but they will continue to make PS3 in whatever server form they take for streaming....

Ni No Kuni
Resistance 1-3
Killzone 1-3

and many many more

As long as Ni No Kuni, Okami HD and SotC&Ico HD won't be ported I'll have a PS3.

I have owned almost all the major console platforms since NES days and I have no hesitation in saying PS3 has been my favorite out of all of them.
Amazing for both first and third party support with worthwhile games still coming out (persona 5) and a great multi media device. Still prefer to use it for blu ray playback and movie streaming over both Xone and ps4.

Elandyll

Banned
The console that brought me (back) to consoles after having been PC only since the PS1.

Still have 2 models working fine (save a BR player my kids wrecked​), kids enjoying it.

Melchiah

Wonder how long the PSN servers for it have left.

I noticed earlier that nobody is maintaining the "What's New" section anymore. It's been advertising The Martian as though it's a new movie for over a year now.

I wonder how long apps like Netflix will get updates on it? It's still my media player, eventhough I have a PS4.

Top Bottom