• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR Aim Controller -- Designed for PS4 shooters, 1:1 precision, no PSMove required.

Update: Available Tuesday, May 16th, 2017!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWI9F71rtG8

Features:
- Precise and intuitive aiming for compatible PlayStation®VR shooter games;
- Advanced motion sensing and light tracking technology;
- Ergonomic two-handed control;
- Easily-accessible DUALSHOCK®4 controls;
- Immersive vibration feedback;
- Rechargeable battery.

“PlayStation®Camera (sold separately) required for PlayStation®VR and PlayStation®VR Aim Controller functionality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnijGV5H1O0

Supported titles:
- Farpoint
- Arizona Sunshine
- The Brookhaven Experience
- Duck Wilde
- ROM: Extraction

--------------------------------------

Designed collaboratively by Sony and Impulse Gear, originally for their game 'Farpoint'. No price or release date announced yet, but it's safe to say it'll release with the game and can range from $50-$100. Seems like PS Move and Navigation controller is built-in, so no extra accessories required when playing VR Shooters.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/13/farpoint-announced-for-playstation-vr/

Impulse Gear is a small independent developer based in downtown San Francisco. We founded Impulse Gear with one very important mission: to create virtual reality games that would live up to the expectations of you, the gamer. To do that, we worked closely with SIE to develop an entirely new way to play games with the PS VR Aim Controller.

The PS VR Aim Controller offers the most realistic and precise way to control our game. With direct 1 to 1 tracking, you aim in Farpoint just as you would in real life. How you hold and where you point the controller are directly matched in the game. This allows you to do things in Farpoint that just are not possible in a standard FPS game. It also provides an unbelievable sense of presence in the virtual world.

Trailer for the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18R6Sb97nM

EDIT: Photo courtesy of RoadToVR:

with the huge amount of shooters being developed (which I don't like, personal opinion) this comes of no surprise...
Thanks for the info OP!

TrutaS

Looks interesting, but most FPS games I've seen for VR actually use handguns, rather than 2-handed machineguns.

Occam

I've got two gun attachments for PS Move. Pass.

EDIT: After learning it is much improved over a simple PS Move gun attachment (better precision, rumble), I am now leaning towards getting it.
My only concern is the number of games that will support it.

Oppo

the choice of pink for the Move ball almost feels like a "come at me" statement

hope this works better than the rifle one, that sort of messed up the 1:1 movement you'd expect

You need a VR helmet to block your vision so you can't see that ridiculous looking thing.

(I don't care what it looks like as long as it does the job).

Flashbacks...

Wii_Zapper-2009-03-12.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I feel like Sony should team up with Nerf and make a controller like this but also fires foam darts when you aren't gaming.

Tyrael

Looks stupid. They really need that pink ball at the end point??

It just look like the Link's Crossbow Training attachment for the Wii, with a pink ball at the end.

Raylan

Banned
Couldn't they at least try to make it look cool?
For what? You're never gonna see it while you have your PSVR headset on.

It's about how it feels. Just look at it and imagine holding it with two hands. You can clearly see where you have to put your hands on. It "looks" comfortable. That's the most important thing.

Zalusithix

It just look like the Link's Crossbow Training attachment for the Wii, with a pink ball at the end.

Needs a ball with some color at the end. Not necessarily that color. PSVR uses visible light optical tracking of the headset and accessories. Not IR light.

If they remove the ball or change it's color then it could be mistaken for a real Phazer or Ionic Proton Discharger by the police!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
already people doing similar on vive for games like Horseshoes and Hand Grenades.

ESSGtis.png

As dumb as it looks, decent aiming of a rifle is tricky with dual disconnected controls - you just need something you can hold onto. If it gets decent support I might buy. The only odd thing is how far back the trigger is. Doesn't look very ergonomic.

Top Bottom