• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Trendy reports rumor that PS Vita Monster Hunter due for 2012H2

androvsky

Obviously Sony paid off this magazine to run a MH story to get people to buy their Vita now and the 3DS Lite story to get people to hold off from buying a 3DS. It all makes sense.

PS3/Vita MH is such a bad idea. PS3/Vita is a great idea in theory but nobody is actually going to buy a Vita if they can play all their crap on a PS3.

The main importance of Monster Hunter is for the Japanese market, and I think there are a fair number of people there that would pick the portable version.

Just a hunch.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dual analogue Monster Hunter is the best Monster Hunter. Fuck yeah!

Huff

Banned
Major 3rd party publishers having games exclusive to one platform just doesn't make sense anymore.

MH4 could have a simultaneous release in late 2012.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If a Vita MH truly exists and it turns out to be a late release of 3rd HD, I might die. My fragile heart can't withstand a troll of this calibre.

Major 3rd party publishers having games exclusive to one platform just doesn't make sense anymore.

MH4 could have a simultaneous release in late 2012.

unless you're japanese publishers. the whole japanese publishers tactics is to re-release the game on different platform with minimal/some improvement so people buy the game again rather than releasing multiplatform titles at the same time and people only buy one of them.

I think they'd have to manage it carefully so the base's attention was on one or the other at a given point in time, but I can't see Capcom giving up the dual-line thing one way or the other. It would not surprise me if Capcom thinks the appetite is strong enough to support two portable lines at alternating points in time, or indeed if they think it would be preferable for both lines to launch on handheld. If they're different enough and spaced out enough, I think they might be right. I am sure Capcom is thinking of ways to make the 2/Tri/?? line as popular as its sibling...launching it on handheld rather than on home systems might be one tactic to try.

I do not think they'd mention another '4' game before 4 is out, but if the Portable 3rd line gets another variant on Vita, I'd take it as a signal that Capcom isn't finished with that machine wrt the franchise.
The reason for the dual-line before was that each served a uniquely different purpose (mainline for online play and introduction, Portable for local play and refinement) but MH3G/MH4 pretty much shattered that. Actually MH is triple-line if you consider Frontier (different business model that serves Asia).

The release of 3G effectively makes the Portable line redundant though, that's why it's a question if it'll continue. Alternating competitive releases that serve the same base don't really make much logical or business sense, but who really knows, stranger things have happened.

ShinNL

Nirolak mentioned that this might be of enough interest to enough people to justify a split-bump, so I did one.
The Nikkei Trendy report on 3DS redesign is being debunked hard in the other thread and you guys thought it was a good idea to split this bit of information for a new thread for people who don't read threads and only thread titles/OP? Good job, mods.

1. Nikkei Trendy =/= Nikkei, no record of credibility.
2. Speculation =/= rumor.

weeskwee

Banned
reports today of a 20% Vita price reduction in Japan and now this? Looks like the turnaround will happen sooner than everyone thought. nice!

If a Vita MH truly exists and it turns out to be a late release of 3rd HD, I might die. My fragile heart can't troll of this calibre.

That's worse than Frontier, probably worse than no MH at all, it'd be a pure cash grab and signal a dead end to the fanbase. The only way Sony/Vita comes out of this looking good is if it's P3G. Or maybe even Frontier 2 (for PC/PS3/Vita, based off Tri engine?).

BadWolf

If a Vita MH truly exists and it turns out to be a late release of 3rd HD, I might die. My fragile heart can't withstand a troll of this calibre.

Doubt it since 3rd is already playable on the Vita, dual sticks and all, and HD is pretty much an identical game save for the HD, there is no way they could justify a higher price tag.

?

No one thought that, everyone just feels that its too early.
Lots of people thought there wouldn't be one. Go view any of the past threads on this and anytime someone brings up the possibility Nintendo dudes reply by laughing at you or saying it ain't happening.

Everyone should be happy about this instead of going into defense mode because it means Vita might be successful in Japan after all and that's a good thing for the handheld market.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Alternating competitive releases that serve the same base don't really make much logical or business sense, but who really knows, stranger things have happened.

They make a lot of sense if they extract more value per customer. You can be sure Capcom made more money off line '3' by virtue of the dual-line 'Tri/3rd' thing than if, say, just 3rd existed.

I can't see Capcom reducing the number of offerings in the 4th line, and thus reducing the opportunity to extract more money from MH fans' pockets. It is risky to float both in a portable context, but the reward could be big too since that's the context people seem to really want MH in. If they have decided to make both lines' homes on portables, they would have to be careful about timing and spacing to avoid cannabilisation - but it would actually help to differentiate them if they put each on a different platform, each with reasonably different strengths and capabilities.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, I'm taking it with a grain of salt, but then again it's Capcom so...

Ratrat already demonstrated that this, as well as the 3DS Lite news, is just mere speculation from Nikkei Trendy, which is pretty different from Nikkei. So, nothing confirmed, neither rumoured. Pure speculation.

Yeah man, I think you're right! I remember they made up their mind with that RE4 gamecube exclusivity deal too!

Lol...

3DS has already passed the LTD of GC in Japan in 10 months; PSV, on the other hand...

It has been mentioned too many times why MH is not the usual single player game

They make a lot of sense if they extract more value per customer. You can be sure Capcom made more money off line '3' by virtue of the dual-line 'Tri/3rd' thing than if, say, just 3rd existed.

I can't see Capcom reducing the number of offerings in the 4th line, and thus reducing the opportunity to extract more money from MH fans' pockets. It is risky to float both in a portable context, but the reward could be big too since that's the context people seem to really want MH in. If they have decided to make both lines' homes on portables, they would have to be careful about timing and spacing to avoid cannabilisation - but it would actually help to differentiate them if they put each on a different platform, each with reasonably different strengths and capabilities.
You're not listening, Tri and 3rd served different bases, that's why both made sense. Tri G sort of undoes that though, it's effectively crossed over and is now serving the Portable base. For the Portable line to continue then it will also necessitate a big shift, like co-opting Frontier as an example.

yurinka

MHP3rdHD doesn't make sense because MHP3rd already runs on Vita, and more resolution vs filtered emulation wouldn't be enough.
It would be too late for a direct MH3G port. But in this case it would be better later than never.
A spin-off like these released in PSP with the MH cats would be pointless.

So I bet it would be MH3G HD (Vita, PS3) :
Think MH3G + some new content (some few extra missions, some few new monsters), online crossplatform play like in MH3PHD. 3D for the PS3 version and a Near based gift feature, to send weapons, armors, items or even custom missions in the Vita version. I doubt that if Capcom and Sony did all this work for this crossplatform feature / porting for only 1 game. They like to port everything, and since MH3G uses MT Framework Mobile (already shown in Vita, and running all HD version features), it wouldn't be so hard or expensive to up port it to Vita and PS3.

Considering the typical timed exclusives, I think it will be released like 6 months after the 3DS release, not a year after.

I think MH4 will be multiplatform and will be released in at least Vita and 3DS (who knows, maybe PS3 and Wii too). But I think H2 2012 is too soon for it. At that time they still can be selling MH3G at a reduced price, and a cheap port like I mentioned.

Yeah man, I think you're right! I remember they made up their mind with that RE4 gamecube exclusivity deal too!
RE4 was announced as one of the 'Big 5 Capcom exclusives for Gamecube', like the PS3 MH3.
MHTri, MH3G and MH4 never have been mentioned as exclusive.

If Tri G HD happens, it'll be on Wii U. Nintendo no doubt has that shit locked down tight, otherwise we'd have already seen Tri on PS3.

It's going to have to be 3rd G if it's not something else insulting like another 3rd HD or Frontier port.

RE4 was announced as one of the 'Big 5 Capcom exclusives for Gamecube'. MH3G and MH4 never have been mentioned as 3DS exclusive.

Completely different situations. We're all fairly sure Nintendo paid for exclusivity while RE4 was only announced as exclusive because teh producer loved Nintendo and hated Sony. Then Capcom forced it to be ported by someone else and he left the company

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
You're not listening, Tri and 3rd served different bases, that's why both made sense.

I read you as talking about them serving different purposes, not different bases. But I'd be surprised if there wasn't a good deal of overlap. I think there was definitely an element of extracting greater value out of a core of MH fans using two vectors vs everyone just buying one or other type of game - such that if you can find one game to serve both you'll come away with the same number of sales. Not sure Capcom would risk coming away with fewer total sales by running with one 'universal' track on one platform vs the previous situation.

BUT...who knows. Just saying, I don't think Capcom would let a (relatively) little thing like having to clearly distinguish their tracks to avoid compatibility confusion from putting out as much MH as they think the market can bear.

Orayn

MH will appear on PS360 and Vita at some point. Capcom will get that shit onto iOS too.
1. It's already on iOS.
2. The MH team already works with small budgets and short-ish schedules, so I doubt they have much interest in making an "AAA" version when it already sells like hotcakes on portables.

MH will appear on PS360 and Vita at some point. Capcom will get that shit onto iOS too.

Is already in iOS. And in PS3 (the MH 3rdHD) and in 360 (MH Freedom). And in Android. And even in Symbian.

I think that the only platform that don't have Monster Hunter (in any form) is Facebook. Yet.

I wonder if the thread title was changed to Japanese analyst predicts Vita rumor in 2012 we'd still have the same responses...

Why are people talking about a rumor like it's an official announcement?

It's not even a rumor...it's a prediction

I read you as talking about them serving different purposes, not different bases. But I'd be surprised if there wasn't a good deal of overlap. I think there was definitely an element of extracting greater value out of a core of MH fans using two vectors vs everyone just buying one or other type of game - such that if you can find one game to serve both you'll come away with the same number of sales. Not sure Capcom would risk coming away with fewer total sales by running with one 'universal' track on one platform vs the previous situation.
I don't see why you'd make a distiction between base and purpose when I pretty clearly spelled out the functional aspects between the lines. I can only assume you're thinking "base" in terms of console war allegience if you made that distinction, but what I'm saying is that audience follows function in Monster Hunter's case. Not Nintendo/Sony, but console/handheld, online/local and creation/refinement. Tri G throws a big fat wrench in that previous delineation.

You also need to stop with the false equivalency to Tri/3rd. What you're suggesting works against the co-existence inherent there, it makes the lines directly competitive. For the Portable line to continue it logically needs to fundamentally change (ie: move to console, online focus, subscrption model, etc) or Capcom runs the risk of hurting the franchise longer term. I guess they already flirted with that a little with 3rd HD though.

Top Bottom