• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

I just hope if they do a remake Mt Coronet is not significantly nerfed.
I don't even see how they could really do that, since Mt. Coronet is like the defining region of Sinnoh that everything branches off from.

Though, I wish they would find a way since Mt. Coronet is really one of the largest issues I have with Sinnoh. Having the defining feature of a region just be a generic cave that you're constantly going in and out of is really, really boring.

Like... I know that, objectively speaking it isn't like DPPt actually have more cave-based content than any of the other regions, but it's just like, instead of having it spread out through multiple caves that are spread far apart and that each have their own separate gimmicks (like, simple ones in RBY like Rock Tunnel being dark, Seafoam Islands being an optional cave focusing on strength puzzles, and Victory Road of course putting everything together, whereas in later entries we get stuff like Chargestone Cave and Reflection Cave and stuff that even if they're not complicated gimmicks is more than we had before), but in DPPt, it's just the same cave over and over again, with nothing particularly interesting about it.

And I know most of the time you're just in and out, no big deal, but I just don't really want to be inside Mt. Coronet at all to begin with. And it definitely doesn't help that feeling that Sinnoh also has several mini cave/cave-like areas leading up to Mt. Coronet like the Oreburgh Mines and the Ravaged Path (and nevermind the Underground stuff, a step back from the variety of Secret Bases which shows how committed they were to the whole cave thing) which themselves are super small and no big deal at all, literally, but it all just adds up to me, especially when you have the typical Victory Road at the end of the game on top of all that because like... why? Why even have those there (and yeah, I know, Hokkaido, but still why does shit like the Ravaged Path even exist instead of just putting a stupid Rock in your way like R/S does on Route 111? Why the superfluous cave just for the sake of having another? Why is Stark Mountain, a postgame area, the only even somewhat volcanic one and not even hotsprings or anything anywhere else and, Distortion World aside, the only one that even tries to do anything different at all? dlfjsldfjsdljkjj).

And yeah, if the Gen IV games do get remade, that probably means that HMs will be back and I'm definitely not looking forward to that at all.. Sigh... Just, fuck Sinnoh and its stupid caves. If they find some way of actually making the different parts of Mt. Coronet actually feel distinct from each other, that would be great (especially since it's really easy to come up with an excuse for the different sections of Mt. Coronet to look distinct from each other: Team Galactic and Cyrus trying to control Dialga and Palkia makes them start getting REALLY mad even before Cyrus zeroes in on them, and Dialga/Palkia lashing out against Team Galactic distorts the appearance of Mt. Coronet as you progress through the game, giving each section its own unique appearance and puzzles, which makes a particular degree of sense since we're talking the PokeLords of Time & Space here and that shit would be easy for them, even by accident. Done, and kills two birds with one stone--makes it clear that stuff is really getting real and heating up while you're progressing through the game and really driving it home how fucked things would be if Cyrus really gets his hands on these things, and makes Mt. Coronet more interesting at the same time.). Otherwise, not looking forward to Sinnoh being defined by the most boring parts of Pokemon games again and suffering for it.

All of that is great and all but I don't give a shit about exploration. Sun and Moon are the best pokemon games. Linear games are better than open ones.

You know, I understand, I also prefer linear games but in Pokémon's case it would be so good an open world experience. Just imagine you just got your starter Pokémon but you took a different path and ended up in an area with lvl 30 wild pokémon and you only have your lvl 5-7 starter plus other early lvl 2-4 pokémon. This freedom would be really good to have in a Pokémon game.

jnWake

From BotW it'd be cool if Pokémon incorporated more of the scale and interaction with wildlife. Imagine actually seeing Pokémon in the overworld and interacting with them in cool ways. Also, finally having Pokémon up to scale would be nice, like being in an area and watching some huge Pokémon on the distance. That'd be awesome.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
From BotW it'd be cool if Pokémon incorporated more of the scale and interaction with wildlife. Imagine actually seeing Pokémon in the overworld and interacting with them in cool ways. Also, finally having Pokémon up to scale would be nice, like being in an area and watching some huge Pokémon on the distance. That'd be awesome.

Problem with Pokemon honestly is that very few of them really have breathtaking sizes.

Though I guess it's much better than SM's garbo scaling.

brinstar

Yeah S/M was a step in the right direction of having more Pokemon show up on the field, they need to do more of that.

It'd be cool if they had it so there was still random encounters in the grass, but maybe like having "special" Pokemon that are visible encounters on the field with chances of having a hidden ability or something.

jnWake

Problem with Pokemon honestly is that very few of them really have breathtaking sizes.

Though I guess it's much better than SM's garbo scaling.

Yeah I guess not many are that big, but they could still have interesting visual cues using Pokémon powers. Like, huge flames, water spouts, electricity, whirlwinds, whatever. There could be really cool side quests like some in BotW.

Menitta

For the past month, I've been replaying platinum for probably the 10th time. This time was different. I actually did a lot of the side stuff and I have a desire to catch more than 6 pokemon for 1 team. There is way more stuff in that game than I remember. Though I wish I hadn't touched contests, because I hate them now. A lot of it is just luck. This is probably the most fun I've had with Platinum yet. I don't know why it's different this time around.

Menitta

I just bought Pokémon Guardian Signs (probably because I'm half asleep and I've already spent enough money today so $10 doesn't make much of a difference) and man that game is charming. I played that game in Japanese so I didn't know what was happening. The dialogue in this game is very fun. I really hope we get another one in the future.

Also DS games are great on Wii U. The ability to prioritize the bottom screen and have an option for lefties is the greatest. I don't think I'll play much of it on Wii U though. The gamepad screen feels less sturdy than the DS screen.

Puruzi

Banned
is this the right place to talk about the anime? there didn't seem to be a thread.
they really upped their facial expression game in this new anime (in a good way). But at the same time its like they gave the people working on DBZ Super some work :(
Things like that image happen in every anime. If it's not the focus of the frame or if it's an unimportant scene it won't always look perfect.

But yeah this thread is fine for the anime. Some people are watching it in the anime thread in off topic community if you want to talk about it there.

Things like that image happen in every anime. If it's not the focus of the frame or if it's an unimportant scene it won't always look perfect.

But yeah this thread is fine for the anime. Some people are watching it in the anime thread in community if you want to talk about it there.

well, sometimes the characters in focus go a bit off model too, but this weeks episode had some nice sakuga animation as usual

Theyre finally acknowledging all the bonding satoshi and pikachu have been through right from the start of this season, as opposed to that greninja fusion crap in the previous one. Unless each of the Tapus chooses one of his pokemon which is also entirely possible.

Boss Doggie

well, sometimes the characters in focus go a bit off model too, but this weeks episode had some nice sakuga animation as usual

Theyre finally acknowledging all the bonding satoshi and pikachu have been through right from the start of this season, as opposed to that greninja fusion crap in the previous one. Unless each of the Tapus chooses one of his pokemon which is also entirely possible.

you seemed like you missed Pikachu's point in XY

as in: he didn't need Ash bond form because he's already totally synced with Ash

wmlk

All of that is great and all but I don't give a shit about exploration. Sun and Moon are the best pokemon games. Linear games are better than open ones.
Really? SM feel like hallways. That's no fun.

Ever since Sinnoh, they've been making it more linear. That's fine, but BW had actual level design and had a sense of exploration because of it (thank goodness for BW2). The newer games don't feel like a journey. It feels like I'm being told what to do.

I just hope Pokémon doesn't get more linear. They're single player RPGs with a barebones as hell story and an abysmal one at that. Exploration has always made the games stand out for me, not the paper thin characters. I don't need Breath of the Wild stuff, just something more along Gen I - Gen V.

EDIT: Nice to see that there are people who feel the same way about SM and the current direction.

Puruzi

Banned

Clearly I find it very fun if I think that they're the best pokemon games. They don't feel like hallways to me either. People can want it to be more open or whatever, but I don't and I hope Gamefreak keeps doing what they're doing while optimizing the games better.

you seemed like you missed Pikachu's point in XY

as in: he didn't need Ash bond form because he's already totally synced with Ash

He didn't get a hyper-promoted fusion synergy transformation (thankfully, giving pikachu his hair would look even worse). They made a really big deal about it, which they always do with the current gen starter being super OP.

Now that Z moves are a thing, they can actually show this without transformations. And actually allowing for some new moves since having the same 4 was getting really tired. Even if they still do some neat animation with moves like Iron Tail

Boss Doggie

He didn't get a hyper-promoted fusion synergy transformation (thankfully, giving pikachu his hair would look even worse). They made a really big deal about it, which they always do with the current gen starter being super OP.

Now that Z moves are a thing, they can actually show this without transformations. And actually allowing for some new moves since having the same 4 was getting really tired. Even if they still do some neat animation with moves like Iron Tail

And he didn't need to. The ace of XY needed that because he wasn't a vet like Pikachu. I honestly liked it that way, since why give a fusion bond to a Pokemon who can fight while blind?

And he didn't need to. The ace of XY needed that because he wasn't a vet like Pikachu. I honestly liked it that way, since why give a fusion bond to a Pokemon who can fight while blind?

Its more how they imply that its a special bond that nobody else has ever had in the entire world. Meanwhile his first pokemon who has been around forever was strong, but completely sidelined in that aspect. Its never been the most consistent anime, but S/M at least seems to be acknowledging who these 2 characters are right from the start.

At least until rowlet or litten become super OP like expected. But its still nice to have the original pair back because 20 yrs of nostalgia :)

Boss Doggie

Its more how they imply that its a special bond that nobody else has ever had in the entire world. Meanwhile his first pokemon who has been around forever was strong, but completely sidelined in that aspect. Its never been the most consistent anime, but S/M at least seems to be acknowledging who these 2 characters are right from the start.

At least until rowlet or litten become super OP like expected. But its still nice to have the original pair back because 20 yrs of nostalgia :)

well it'd be weird if Pikachu suddenly does that, people will say "why now?"

Boss Doggie

exactly! thats why the Z thing works with the legendary pokemon noticing their potential.
"why now" applies to greninja being the first to be able to do this when hes had so many pokemon like this.

they stated it was unique to Kalosians and even then a rarity

Menitta

I just learned that in Pokémon Ranger Guardian Signs, the first two letters of every island in the Oblivia region make Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do. That's the BEST!!

Boss Doggie

Is having a pokemon
die of old age, or at all
a first for the anime? cant remember them ever handling this subject before today

most of the death are due to fight and sickness, not of old age

then I realized there's so many "turn stone then die" in Pokemon lol

I'm actually waiting for a twitter post claiming that SM is breaking new grounds by killing a Pokemon on screen lol

for example? I dont remember any, and the turning to stone thing was just a fakeout in the movies.
Still kind of surprising that they did this with a somewhat recurring character and with some tact

Meh why not give ash popplio while you're at it. Back to the generic team. Inb4 well kalos and unova had generic teams too.(they did not)

he wont get the girly ones, just like Serena having sylveon and braixen in XY, because anime.

Boss Doggie

He didn't get Chespin too though.

And no I mean stuff like Pidgeot turning into stone and crashing into the ground, crumbling. Many on-screen death in that Zygarde special.

Lucario and Latios died out of having their life force drained.

He didn't get Chespin too though.

And no I mean stuff like Pidgeot turning into stone and crashing into the ground, crumbling. Many on-screen death in that Zygarde special.

Lucario and Latios died out of having their life force drained.

I dont recall any pokemon death in the team flare thing, or anything about pidgeot.
Sounds like you're referring to the movies?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man I knew that Ash would get Litten but I didn't think it would be sad. ;_;

Still Ash's Alola team is shaping up to be great...just a shame that he isn't doing gym challenge. :(

I wonder what his last two captures will be, hopefully they won't pull a troll capture like they did with Goodra.

Meh why not give ash popplio while you're at it. Back to the generic team. Inb4 well kalos and unova had generic teams too.(they did not)

Sorry but I disagree Ash's Alola team is miles better and interesting than Ash's boring Kalos team.

The only Pokémon that I actually liked on the team was Hawlucha and that's only because Hawlucha is a cool Pokémon by default.

brinstar

Sorry but I disagree Ash's Alola team is miles better and interesting than Ash's boring Kalos team.

The only Pokémon that I actually liked on the team was Hawlucha and that's only because Hawlucha is a cool Pokémon by default.

I'm honestly surprised you feel that way. I took a look at his team and it's just 2 starters and the most marketed non-starter this gen, doesn't seem like they've put any thought into his team at all so far.

Boss Doggie

I dont recall any pokemon death in the team flare thing, or anything about pidgeot.
Sounds like you're referring to the movies?

Zygarde special, aired after Pokemon XY ended in proper

in Team Flare youc ould argue Lysandre's Pokemon died.

If Arceus is the god of Pokemon I don't understand why it's not the "I Win" pokemon. I still got one shotted in showdown with it.

specific builds, though some say Fairy Arceus is untouchable

Zygarde special, aired after Pokemon XY ended in proper

in Team Flare youc ould argue Lysandre's Pokemon died.

Didnt know that was a thing, i was kind of done with the series when it went full serious. I know you watch pokemon for the complete opposite reason to myself and ill prob drop sun/moon if it went full serious with crazy mom.

Who knows what they will do, the whole things a bit different from previous seasons, and very different setup compared to the game, like where is nebby?. (new visual style, story foreshadowing happening very early, team rocket meme finally stopped, less of a reset in power and competence for ash+pikachu than usual etc.)

I know you think its been less about battles, but XY also started with dog haircuts,multiple dedenne episodes, team rocket trying to steal pikachu, and chespin going on a diet :p

Is having a pokemon
die of old age, or at all
a first for the anime? cant remember them ever handling this subject before today
They kinda shove that in your face with Tracy's Scyther. They never miss a moment telling you that Scyther is old and about to croak. Same deal with another trainer's Noctowl in Johto, and...probably one more that I'm missing. I wanna say it was a Mr. Mime, but I think the one I'm thinking of was literally just fat and lazy.

I'm actually waiting for a twitter post claiming that SM is breaking new grounds by killing a Pokemon on screen lol

Meh, even then Super Mystery Dungeon has SM beat in that regard.

Boss Doggie

final form plushies

C8yT0uhVYAA4ovH.jpg:orig

What's wrong with you, Decidueye? (I mean I know you're already crap but jeez.)

Meh, even then Super Mystery Dungeon has SM beat in that regard.

Pretty much.

The consistent thing though is the anime has no qualms killing old humans. Though for some odd reason Oak can escape that.

yeah, I didnt buy that part of super PMD for a second. Im sure a lot of kids were sad though.
Have to say the ending and epilogue played out differently than expected though.
figured they would just make the player character disappear again

Marshadow has been lurking in Ash's shadow? ....Hmmm this just made me more hyped for the movie but we all know it's going to end in x pokemon becoming good. I wonder where Necrozma now fits?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Ever since Sinnoh, they've been making it more linear. That's fine, but BW had actual level design and had a sense of exploration because of it (thank goodness for BW2). The newer games don't feel like a journey. It feels like I'm being told what to do.

I just hope Pokémon doesn't get more linear. They're single player RPGs with a barebones as hell story and an abysmal one at that. Exploration has always made the games stand out for me, not the paper thin characters. I don't need Breath of the Wild stuff, just something more along Gen I - Gen V.

EDIT: Nice to see that there are people who feel the same way about SM and the current direction.

Agreed very, very strongly.

MAtgS

*New movie trailer*

*No Brock*

*No Misty*

*No Gary*

*3 completely new characters to basically fill the same roles*

WHAT? THE? FUCK?

JoeM86

I can only think of two instances of actual Pokémon death, and they were both movies.

Unless you have other examples. Closest thing I'm thinking is the Gogoat in the recent XYZ Special

They have been dealing with death a lot more of late, and this is the first time they truly properly dealt with it.

Boss Doggie

I can only think of two instances of actual Pokémon death, and they were both movies.

Unless you have other examples. Closest thing I'm thinking is the Gogoat in the recent XYZ Special

They have been dealing with death a lot more of late, and this is the first time they truly properly dealt with it.
Talonflame, the guy's Gogoat, actually all those miscellaneous pokemon in that Zygarde special

*New movie trailer*

*No Brock*

*No Misty*

*No Gary*

WHAT? THE? FUCK?

It's not a nostalgia trip movie.

Jay RaR

*New movie trailer*

*No Brock*

*No Misty*

*No Gary*

WHAT? THE? FUCK?

Yeah, I'm not feeling this film too, Ho-oh mega focus aside.

They might as well create a new protagonist while they're at it.

MAtgS

It's not a nostalgia trip movie.
First season's theme song.
Retelling of Ash meeting Pikachu.
Ash standing in defiance of spearow flock.
Metapod evolving into Butterfree.
Catching Charmander.
Erika gym battle.
Ho oh who was last seen in the first episode.
Wanted poster of Team Rocket.

Like fucking hell it ain't.

Top Bottom